Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flymia

Re: Possible Miami - Tokyo announcement soon

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:46 pm

I have been reading about the soon coming MIA-NRT flight for 15-years now. I will say Miami is a maturing not market both in business and tourism for East Asia. You can tell in recent years there have been more East Asian visitors and business/investment going on.

But I'll believe it when I see it, or hear a credible rumor.

MAH4546

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:51 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Pengaea wrote:
Huh. So... the US and HKSAR could theoretically negotiate an open-skies agreement, then?

If they wanted to.

Pengaea wrote:
I wonder why there hasn't been an agreement since. They did "express their intention to meet again to review bilateral air services agreements in 2005."

What'd really be in it for the HKG side?

Almost every US city with significant demand to HKG already has a nonstop... the glaring exceptions being IAH (proximity to DFW, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a CX A350 on HKG-IAH at some point) and even more so MIA, where CX has even asked the OEMs to build it a plane that could make the distance with the payload it wants.

IAHHKG does not have significant demand. WAS and MIA are the largest HKG markets without service, then ATL and LAS.

LAX772LR

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:27 am

MAH4546 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Pengaea wrote:
Huh. So... the US and HKSAR could theoretically negotiate an open-skies agreement, then?

If they wanted to.

Pengaea wrote:
I wonder why there hasn't been an agreement since. They did "express their intention to meet again to review bilateral air services agreements in 2005."

What'd really be in it for the HKG side?

Almost every US city with significant demand to HKG already has a nonstop... the glaring exceptions being IAH (proximity to DFW, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a CX A350 on HKG-IAH at some point) and even more so MIA, where CX has even asked the OEMs to build it a plane that could make the distance with the payload it wants.

IAHHKG does not have significant demand. WAS and MIA are the largest HKG markets without service, then ATL and LAS.

Could've sworn I saw IAH and MIA listed as the two largest markets. Guessing I'm confusing IAH with IAD then.

DL757NYC

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 am

777Mech wrote:
miaami wrote:
Rumors of new Miami to Tokyo service could be announced soon.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/miami-tour ... ines-soon/

We have been hearing this rumor for many years, hopefully it becomes a reality soon.

Not this again... this is up there with the "Boeing restarting the 757 line" threads..

Nothing compares to the 757 line restarting look at the reaction the 767 line restarting got. I was waiting for the 757 to come up but no one wants to be made fun of.

LAX772LR

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:22 am

DL757NYC wrote:
Nothing compares to the 757 line restarting look at the reaction the 767 line restarting got. I was waiting for the 757 to come up but no one wants to be made fun of.

They key difference is that all of the tooling and jigs required to create a 767 are still in place.

None for the 757 remain, and the program has been written off... meaning it would cost (in today's dollars) billions to recreate, far more than a new line could ever hope to justify; which is why they won't do it.

smi0006

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

:checkmark: :thumbsup: And 64 nmi shorter than SYD-LAX.

Is there terrain challenges? SYD-LAX has been flown nonstop for decades since the SP days with 744, 772ER, 77W, 789- why is equipment a concern?

You haven’t been to Florida much? ;) The highest point in the entire state is like as high as a freeway overpass. No terrain issues at MIA. None at NRT either. I think people don’t realize this is no farther than the other flights mentioned.

Once but a wee while ago. Lol

That’s what I thought; couldn’t understand the hype around this route being ULH, maybe just long haul? Nice connecting of dots but hardly ground breaking stretch. Always nice to see any new route :) growth is growth.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:01 pm

What's the average O&D between MIA-TYO?

AAvgeek744

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 am

maortega15 wrote:
An A350 could do it with full pax and some cargo from HKG.

Can Miami become the new Hawaii for the Japanese?! :hyper:

With all due respect to Florida, it's beaches cannot hold a candle to Hawaii. I really do not see why people say Miami MUST have a flight to Tokyo.

Antarius

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

From this article

More than 415,000 travelers made connecting flights between Asia and Miami in 2015, which ranked Miami 15th among all US cities.

That includes all of Asia.. so don't think Tokyo would be a huge number.

Although, this article also says
“Our research has shown that our passengers here don’t really care where they transfer from – if they’re going to Hong Kong, they don’t mind transferring to Tokyo, for example. So we’re working very hard just to get the first one, and then the others will fall in line,” he said.

Which I do not understand. Why would MIA-NRT-HKG make any more sense than MIA-DFW-HKG? If you are going to connect, then does it make a difference where?

clrd4t8koff

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:25 am

Antarius wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

From this article

More than 415,000 travelers made connecting flights between Asia and Miami in 2015, which ranked Miami 15th among all US cities.

“Our research has shown that our passengers here don’t really care where they transfer from – if they’re going to Hong Kong, they don’t mind transferring to Tokyo, for example. So we’re working very hard just to get the first one, and then the others will fall in line,” he said.

Which I do not understand. Why would MIA-NRT-HKG make any more sense than MIA-DFW-HKG? If you are going to connect, then does it make a difference where?

I completely agree. MIA-TYO O&D seems like it's too small to be profitable on its own that it would have to rely on lots of connections. But the majority of those connections are available today via multiple US destinations. Not sure why anyone would want to connect in NRT to other Asian cities when they'd have to go through security and immigration, whereas connecting via a US city they could go just go right to the HGK, PVG, PEK etc gate. It would only make sense for those smaller second tier Asian cities and how many PPDEW would that be...5?

A388

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Miami has been trying to get an Asian airline to fly to Miami for so long, now Air China will start flights to Panama, starting March 2018. They will fly Peking-Houston-Panama twice a week.

I still believe MIA will eventually get nonstop passenger flights from Asia but it takes so long. I hope they will succeed next year.

A388

Slash787

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:23 pm

787-9 would be a good choice

adamh8297

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:27 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Antarius wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

From this article

I completely agree. MIA-TYO O&D seems like it's too small to be profitable on its own that it would have to rely on lots of connections. But the majority of those connections are available today via multiple US destinations. Not sure why anyone would want to connect in NRT to other Asian cities when they'd have to go through security and immigration, whereas connecting via a US city they could go just go right to the HGK, PVG, PEK etc gate. It would only make sense for those smaller second tier Asian cities and how many PPDEW would that be...5?

Of that 400K+ going to Asia that would include TLV right???? That would be a significant portion that wouldn't connect in East Asia. Also, that number includes any stimulation (Mid-East/Sub-Continent/SE Asia) from QR entering in 2014.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:17 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Antarius wrote:

From this article

Of that 400K+ going to Asia that would include TLV right???? That would be a significant portion that wouldn't connect in East Asia. Also, that number includes any stimulation (Mid-East/Sub-Continent/SE Asia) from QR entering in 2014.

Good point. I totally forgot to factor in TLV & DOH to the Asia numbers which means MIA-TYO has to be even smaller. Good luck to Miami, but I'm not seeing the numbers to support a n/s to E Asia.

MAH4546

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Good point. I totally forgot to factor in TLV & DOH to the Asia numbers which means MIA-TYO has to be even smaller. Good luck to Miami, but I'm not seeing the numbers to support a n/s to E Asia.

Nope. TLV, DOH, etc. is Middle East, not counted as Asia for purposes of airline traffic data. It is its own category. Miami is the single largest U.S. market to Asia without a non-stop, then PHL and MCO. All three will see Asia service soon enough, much to apparent disappointment of many.

MIAMNL is the biggest market at around 100 PDEW. Tokyo is around 60, HKG about 50. PVG, PEK, TPE, ICN, CGK and DPS all above 25 PDEW. Not just Miami, but Florida-Asia in general is exploding. EK and QR have definitely contributed.

LAXintl

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:10 pm

MCO has higher demand to Tokyo than MIA does.

PDEW based on MIDT for 12-months ending Mar17
MIA - 36
MCO - 67

adamh8297

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:38 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

Nope. TLV, DOH, etc. is Middle East, not counted as Asia for purposes of airline traffic data. It is its own category. Miami is the single largest U.S. market to Asia without a non-stop, then PHL and MCO. All three will see Asia service soon enough, much to apparent disappointment of many.

MIAMNL is the biggest market at around 100 PDEW. Tokyo is around 60, HKG about 50. PVG, PEK, TPE, ICN, CGK and DPS all above 25 PDEW. Not just Miami, but Florida-Asia in general is exploding. EK and QR have definitely contributed.

What about secondary SE Asian markets such as CEB or SUB... Not everyone is from Metro Manila or Jakarta working on a South Florida based cruise ship. Do they factor or is it insignificant (less that 5 PDEW for example).

clrd4t8koff

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:10 am

MAH4546 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

Well this thread is specific to a potential MIA-TYO announcement, but as stated below MCO has nearly double the PPDEW to TYO than MIA. So why would MIA get service before MCO. Lest we forget MCO got EK years before Miami (FLL) did. I suspect the same will happen again.

LAXintl wrote:
MCO has higher demand to Tokyo than MIA does.

PDEW based on MIDT for 12-months ending Mar17
MIA - 36
MCO - 67

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:49 am

Dont we have this thread every 6 months or so? Its always posted as a 'rumor,' very strong, and someones 3rd cousin, down the street neighbor, who was going by a secretaries desk...

JRL3289

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:57 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Well this thread is specific to a potential MIA-TYO announcement, but as stated below MCO has nearly double the PPDEW to TYO than MIA. So why would MIA get service before MCO. Lest we forget MCO got EK years before Miami (FLL) did. I suspect the same will happen again.

Miami has a significantly different business profile compared to Orlando. A nonstop to Tokyo would ostensibly cater to higher yielding business traffic... something which I would bet Miami has significantly more of compared to Orlando. The fact that Emirates can leverage their massive hub to cater to a variety of traffic flows has nothing to do with MIA-TYO or even Florida-TYO demand.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:56 am

JRL3289 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Miami has a significantly different business profile compared to Orlando. A nonstop to Tokyo would ostensibly cater to higher yielding business traffic... something which I would bet Miami has significantly more of compared to Orlando. The fact that Emirates can leverage their massive hub to cater to a variety of traffic flows has nothing to do with MIA-TYO or even Florida-TYO demand.

Not buying it. If there was such higher yielding business traffic in Miami to TYO this thread wouldn't be a rumor and service would already be going. Couple that with the fact JL has a huge partner hub in MIA and there still isn't service says something. MIA area traffic is heavily centered around cruise and beach traffic, which is mostly lower yielding traffic.

Don't forget - ginormous companies like Disney and Universal Studios have properties in both Orlando and Tokyo. So don't discount Orlando's business traffic capabilities. What companies in MIA even come close to comparing to size and worth of Disney?

As I stated above there's a reason MCO got EK before MIA.

aa87

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 am

Not exactly relevant, but I remember being amazed that DL was flying an MD-11 from MCO to I think Nagoya, at least 25 years ago. What exactly was the market, Disney World ? I also remember seeing a beautiful MD-11 departure MCO from above while we were on approach around 1991, and I assumed it was that flight. So, seems odd to me that service would have started a quarter of a century ago, but Tokyo-Miami still doesn't exist. Has to be one of the top obvious city pairs w no n/s service.

727LOVER

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:51 am

aa87 wrote:
Not exactly relevant, but I remember being amazed that DL was flying an MD-11 from MCO to I think Nagoya, at least 25 years ago. What exactly was the market, Disney World ? I also remember seeing a beautiful MD-11 departure MCO from above while we were on approach around 1991, and I assumed it was that flight. So, seems odd to me that service would have started a quarter of a century ago, but Tokyo-Miami still doesn't exist. Has to be one of the top obvious city pairs w no n/s service.

That wasn't a nonstop, it was MCO-LAX-NGO I think. DL was big in MCO, not MIA/

727LOVER

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:54 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Miami is the single largest U.S. market to Asia without a non-stop, then PHL and MCO. All three will see Asia service soon enough, much to apparent disappointment of many.

What does THAT mean ???!?!!! :lol: :rotfl:

I don't think anyone, except for 3 or 4 people on here, lives or dies over this.

deltacto

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:47 am

aa87 wrote:
Not exactly relevant, but I remember being amazed that DL was flying an MD-11 from MCO to I think Nagoya, at least 25 years ago. What exactly was the market, Disney World ? I also remember seeing a beautiful MD-11 departure MCO from above while we were on approach around 1991, and I assumed it was that flight

727LOVER wrote:
That wasn't a nonstop, it was MCO-LAX-NGO I think. DL was big in MCO, not MIA/

DL79/78 MCO-LAX-NRT and LAX-NRT-MCO started late 1991 or early 1992

NGO was only served from PDX

LAX772LR

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:56 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Don't forget - ginormous companies like Disney and Universal Studios have properties in both Orlando and Tokyo. So don't discount Orlando's business traffic capabilities.

Except that Disney's primary corporate offices are based in neither, and UA has (or at least, throughout the '90s and early '00s had) the primary travel contract for Disney.

Thus, neither would be of much help to JL.

deltacto wrote:
NGO was only served from PDX

In the '90s, yes... though DL launched LAX-NGO nonstop on April 1, 2001.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Like me (Long time MIA naysayer) :rotfl:

On the flip side, I always find it weird that PHL doesn't even have 1 TPAC flight. Maybe PHL in general is a smaller market than I make it to be, though.

MCO if any of the long-haul Asian LCC have the plane to fly there, then it'll happen :scratchchin:

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Don't forget - ginormous companies like Disney and Universal Studios have properties in both Orlando and Tokyo. So don't discount Orlando's business traffic capabilities. What companies in MIA even come close to comparing to size and worth of Disney?

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts (and Walt Disney Co) HQs are located in Burbank, then Walt Disney Imagineering (Responsible for Design/Construction of Disney Theme Parks) is in Glendale. Any executives that want to travel to Tokyo Disneyland can pick from one of the many LAX-TYO flights. Not to mention, Tokyo Disney Resort is a franchise (to a Japanese company call Oriental Land), thus not even operated directly by any of the Walt Disney Co itself.

For USJ (Which is, BTW, not even in Tokyo Area. It's in Osaka), it's a direct subsidiary of NBCUniversal, which is based out of NYC. Nothing to do with Orlando either.

MCO does have relatively high demand from many places in Asia, but 90% of that (if not more) is tourist traffic visiting Mickey Mouse. It can certainly fill a plane, but not exactly the highest yield passengers, though.

jfk777

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Its time MIA crossed the Pacific Ocean, these days when the 787-9 is pioneering such flights as Perth to London Heathrow its not outrageous for Miami to have a route to Japan, Korea or China. AA, JAL and ANA all have large 787 fleets which could undertake such a flight. JAL could also move its DFW to NRT flight to Miami since AA does have twice daily 777 to NRT and nonstops to ICN, PVG and PEK as well.

Miami is a city experiencing booming economic times there has never been a better time for such a flight to start. Japanese and Asian tourists all love to go to California and New York plus Hawaii, it time they discover another corner of the USA but for some reason the AA folks in Dallas think this is a bad idea, why ?

Fastphilly

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:34 pm

With questionable O&D numbers and the lack of a healthy pool of premium traffic to that part of the world I can't see a n/s flight anytime soon. DFW is the reason for a lack of s E. Asia flight.

AA domestic network in MIA doesn't bode well for connecting traffic to help feed the flight and most 1st and 2nd tier cities in Latin and S. America are served from DFW.

MIA only advantage is the Caribbean and Asians aren't traveling there in any measurable numbers for tropical vacations when there are tons of options in SE Asia and Hawaii.

dfwjim1

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:36 pm

I live in the Miami area and while for prestige reasons it would be nice to have a nonstop to and from Tokyo the reality is that travelers between Miami and Tokyo, Hong Kong...etc can easily connect to Asia through ATL, JFK, ORD,DFW, IAH, LAX, SEA, BOS, MSP, DTW and SFO. MIA really needs to concentrate on what it does best - serving the Americas and Europe.

LAX772LR

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:02 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
travelers between Miami and Tokyo, Hong Kong...etc can easily connect to Asia through ATL, JFK, ORD,DFW, IAH, LAX, SEA, BOS, MSP, DTW and SFO. MIA really needs to concentrate on what it does best - serving the Americas and Europe.

What kind of defeatist attitude is that? :(

MIA officials would be in derelict of their position if they weren't laying the foundation for expanded service into markets previously unpenetrated.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:44 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Its time MIA crossed the Pacific Ocean, these days when the 787-9 is pioneering such flights as Perth to London Heathrow its not outrageous for Miami to have a route to Japan, Korea or China. AA, JAL and ANA all have large 787 fleets which could undertake such a flight. JAL could also move its DFW to NRT flight to Miami since AA does have twice daily 777 to NRT and nonstops to ICN, PVG and PEK as well.

Miami is a city experiencing booming economic times there has never been a better time for such a flight to start. Japanese and Asian tourists all love to go to California and New York plus Hawaii, it time they discover another corner of the USA but for some reason the AA folks in Dallas think this is a bad idea, why ?

They do travel to more than CA and NY and HA :D :D , although not really that much further (i.e. LAX + Vegas + Grand Canyon being a common tourist circuit, there's also SFO + Yosemite, all along NE Corridor (+ Niagara Falls for some). Of course, Orlando received some traffic also, and I won't be too surprised if they go to MIA also.

Ultimately, though, geography just doesn't help MIA. Want beaches? Hawaii is a lot closer. It's the same reason why a lot more European go to Florida than Hawaii in general anyway, it's simply closer. Another thing that doesn't help MIA is the lack of logical connection from there. To Caribbean, yes, MIA is a good point for it. But to rest of US? Not so much other than maybe MCO. Remember, even ATL only has 3 (soon to be 4) TPAC flights, 1 to NRT and 2 (Technically 13/wk) to ICN, along with the upcoming PVG flight. And ATL is the busiest airport in the world by miles. Also noted that two of the destinations (ICN and PVG) and Skyteam hub with some sort of partnership/JV, the other (NRT) being a DL semi-"hub"/focus city.

Fastphilly

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:01 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

They do travel to more than CA and NY and HA :D :D , although not really that much further (i.e. LAX + Vegas + Grand Canyon being a common tourist circuit, there's also SFO + Yosemite, all along NE Corridor (+ Niagara Falls for some). Of course, Orlando received some traffic also, and I won't be too surprised if they go to MIA also.

Ultimately, though, geography just doesn't help MIA. Want beaches? Hawaii is a lot closer. It's the same reason why a lot more European go to Florida than Hawaii in general anyway, it's simply closer. Another thing that doesn't help MIA is the lack of logical connection from there. To Caribbean, yes, MIA is a good point for it. But to rest of US? Not so much other than maybe MCO. Remember, even ATL only has 3 (soon to be 4) TPAC flights, 1 to NRT and 2 (Technically 13/wk) to ICN, along with the upcoming PVG flight. And ATL is the busiest airport in the world by miles. Also noted that two of the destinations (ICN and PVG) and Skyteam hub with some sort of partnership/JV, the other (NRT) being a DL semi-"hub"/focus city.

And even with the Huge domestic network DL has in ATL the PVG flight has been off and on over the years. That right there shows how challenging it is for TPAC flights out of the southeastern US.

Fastphilly

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:06 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
travelers between Miami and Tokyo, Hong Kong...etc can easily connect to Asia through ATL, JFK, ORD,DFW, IAH, LAX, SEA, BOS, MSP, DTW and SFO. MIA really needs to concentrate on what it does best - serving the Americas and Europe.

What kind of defeatist attitude is that? :(

MIA officials would be in derelict of their position if they weren't laying the foundation for expanded service into markets previously unpenetrated.

Even with sweet incentives nobody has moved in to MIA. There is an old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".

727LOVER

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
I always find it weird that PHL doesn't even have 1 TPAC flight.

IIRC, when Japan was issuing authorities in the late 90s, didn't US get a right to serve Tokyo from PHL. They didn't have an aircraft capable, so it never happened. Same with TWA from STL

LAX772LR

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Fastphilly wrote:
And even with the Huge domestic network DL has in ATL the PVG flight has been off and on over the years. That right there shows how challenging it is for TPAC flights out of the southeastern US.

Depends on the market more than the location.

ATL-PVG may struggle, but ATL-ICN is one of the strongest Asian markets in the east... with multiple frequencies including A380s.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Fastphilly wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Add onto a little bit on ATL. There's also the demographic problem working against MIA. The whole Miami Metro Area has ~85k non-Indian Asian TOTAL, while greater Atlanta has ~178k (and growing) non-Indian Asian, including ~95k Korean ALONE (Hence the 2x ICN flight anyway). This is with the two metro area having similar population size.

On the flip side, even with a giant fortress hub and actual O&D demand, the TPAC from ATL is nothing more than NRT (Historical with NRT being to gateway to the rest of East Asia) and ICN (Huge VFR/O&D demand), with the on-and-off PVG that may or may not work. MIA? Half the Asian population, almost negligible business tie, and traffic mostly tourism or some random Filipino VFR traffic. Yep, that sounds like a money maker to me (or not :scratchchin: )

LAX772LR wrote:
Fastphilly wrote:

ATL-PVG may struggle, but ATL-ICN is one of the strongest Asian markets in the east... with multiple frequencies including A380s.

Yep. Of course, having that huge Korean population in Atlanta Area help.

Any additional connection traffic is just icing on the cake, helps fill the plane even more :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigTexFlyer

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:41 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Fastphilly wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Add onto a little bit on ATL. There's also the demographic problem working against MIA. The whole Miami Metro Area has ~85k non-Indian Asian TOTAL, while greater Atlanta has ~178k (and growing) non-Indian Asian, including ~95k Korean ALONE (Hence the 2x ICN flight anyway). And even then, DL cannot make anything other than NRT (and that flight is somewhat historical anyway, since NRT was the connecting point to the rest of East Asia for DL) or ICN (Huge VFR/O&D) works well (PVG is on-and-off). Business? Not much Japanese business down in MIA area, nor any big Korean (i.e. something like Samsung in AUS) or Chinese/Taiwanese (Chiefly Tech industries, i.e. Foxconn or ASUS) business either. So what's left? Long-thin route for tourist traffic only? Connection? Ultra low yield Filipino VFR traffic to MNL or CEB or wherever?

LAX772LR wrote:
Fastphilly wrote:

Any additional connection traffic is just icing on the cake, helps fill the plane even more :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

It’s MIA. Like BOS and DTW, MIA is entitled to nonstop flights to any runway that can handle a direct flight. Money doesn’t matter.

Fastphilly

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 pm

BigTexFlyer wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Fastphilly wrote:

Add onto a little bit on ATL. There's also the demographic problem working against MIA. The whole Miami Metro Area has ~85k non-Indian Asian TOTAL, while greater Atlanta has ~178k (and growing) non-Indian Asian, including ~95k Korean ALONE (Hence the 2x ICN flight anyway). And even then, DL cannot make anything other than NRT (and that flight is somewhat historical anyway, since NRT was the connecting point to the rest of East Asia for DL) or ICN (Huge VFR/O&D) works well (PVG is on-and-off). Business? Not much Japanese business down in MIA area, nor any big Korean (i.e. something like Samsung in AUS) or Chinese/Taiwanese (Chiefly Tech industries, i.e. Foxconn or ASUS) business either. So what's left? Long-thin route for tourist traffic only? Connection? Ultra low yield Filipino VFR traffic to MNL or CEB or wherever?

LAX772LR wrote:

It’s MIA. Like BOS and DTW, MIA is entitled to nonstop flights to any runway that can handle a direct flight. Money doesn’t matter.

MIA is nothing like DTW and BOS for obvious reasons. Auto industry for DTW, global, biotech and education for BOS. BOS also has a large financial sector as well. Both cities are much closer too.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Fastphilly wrote:
BigTexFlyer wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

MIA is nothing like DTW and BOS for obvious reasons. Auto industry for DTW, global, biotech and education for BOS. BOS also has a large financial sector as well. Both cities are much closer too.

You are definitely being too serious. :rotfl:

It is in reference to the fact that no matter how many facts and figures are presented, there is always a group of people on a.net that insisted on thinking MIA TPAC is extremely profitable and airlines are squendering money not operating the route.

Fastphilly

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:52 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Fastphilly wrote:
BigTexFlyer wrote:

You are definitely being too serious. :rotfl:

It is in reference to the fact that no matter how many facts and figures are presented, there is always a group of people on a.net that insisted on thinking MIA TPAC is extremely profitable and airlines are squendering money not operating the route.

Haha, I guess I took it wrong. Considering some of the head scratching posts I seen over the years I thought this may have been one of them lol!

jfk777

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Miami now has links Istanbul and Doha, for those to work many connections have to take place at Turkish Airways and Qatar Airways hubs. Those two countries are NOT part of the Visa waiver program. Japan is part of the waiver program. While for MIA to Tokyo to work connections are a large part of the equation the local market has to be bigger then Doha or Istanbul. The only logical explanation is the ME3 and Turkish are are expansionary airlines and the JAL & AA are too conservative. MIA to Tokyo would have hubs at both ends what more of a dream can an airline want from a Pacific route ? Its time for the AA folks to have some faith in their MIA hub which by the way has two 77W to LHR.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:23 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Except that Disney's primary corporate offices are based in neither, and UA has (or at least, throughout the '90s and early '00s had) the primary travel contract for Disney.

zakuivcustom wrote:
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts (and Walt Disney Co) HQs are located in Burbank, then Walt Disney Imagineering (Responsible for Design/Construction of Disney Theme Parks) is in Glendale. Any executives that want to travel to Tokyo Disneyland can pick from one of the many LAX-TYO flights. Not to mention, Tokyo Disney Resort is a franchise (to a Japanese company call Oriental Land), thus not even operated directly by any of the Walt Disney Co itself.

For USJ (Which is, BTW, not even in Tokyo Area. It's in Osaka), it's a direct subsidiary of NBCUniversal, which is based out of NYC. Nothing to do with Orlando either.

MCO does have relatively high demand from many places in Asia, but 90% of that (if not more) is tourist traffic visiting Mickey Mouse. It can certainly fill a plane, but not exactly the highest yield passengers, though.

Except that nowhere in my post did I state Disney or Universal Studios were headquartered in Orlando...so there's that. Not sure why both of you felt the need to come along and play Wikipedia. Maybe try reading and comprehending a post before coming to correct someone?

LAX772LR wrote:
Thus, neither would be of much help to JL

I didn't realize only JL could fly MCO-TYO non-stop. Must be news to NH.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:28 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Don't forget - ginormous companies like Disney and Universal Studios have properties in both Orlando and Tokyo. So don't discount Orlando's business traffic capabilities.

zakuivcustom wrote:

Except that nowhere in my post did I state Disney or Universal Studios were headquartered in Orlando...so there's that. Not sure why both of you felt the need to come along and play Wikipedia. Maybe try reading and comprehending a post before coming to correct someone?

LAX772LR wrote:
Thus, neither would be of much help to JL

And your point is? Neither JL nor NH even has a flight to LAS, you think they will now fly an even longer leisure only route?

On the side, your whole premise is that since there are Disney resort in both Orlando and Tokyo, and also Universal Parks in Orlando and Osaka, somehow there is a business tie. But when it was corrected that the HQ or most of corporate traffic would originate somewhere else, then you are arguing about how you never said the HQ is in Orlando.

So, my question is, what business traffic would be there now?
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAX772LR

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

The only one you're kidding with this is yourself.

NEWSFLASH Cronkite: companies generally don't pay the fares that would interest airlines in operating a 14hr+ flight, to destinations where those corps don't have significant executive presence.

It's not that difficult of a concept really......

clrd4t8koff

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:32 pm

BigTexFlyer wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Fastphilly wrote:

LAX772LR wrote:

Yes, and so is Shreveport, Louisana and Casper, Wyoming. But that doesn't mean they're going to get non-stop flights to all corners of the globe. What an odd post :roll:

clrd4t8koff

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:44 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

And your point is? Neither JL nor NH even has a flight to LAS, you think they will now fly an even longer leisure only route?

On the side, your whole premise is that since there are Disney resort in both Orlando and Tokyo, and also Universal Parks in Orlando and Osaka, somehow there is a business tie. But when it was corrected that the HQ or most of corporate traffic would originate somewhere else, then you are arguing about how you never said the HQ is in Orlando.

If you would go back and read my original post this wouldn't even be a discussion. You're wasting everyone's time. But since you come across as the type that needs everything explained to them I'll spell it out for you.

What I said was that Orlando has stronger business ties to Asia with Disney and Universal than Miami does. I then asked to name one company in Miami that's anywhere near the size of those companies in Orlando and nobody has been able to. Instead, you've decided to take my post out of context and twist it into something it's not.

Who cares what LAS has or doesn't have. That's not relevant to this discussion.

zakuivcustom

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

If you would go back and read my original post this wouldn't even be a discussion. You're wasting everyone's time. But since you come across as the type that needs everything explained to them I'll spell it out for you.

What I said was that Orlando has stronger business ties to Asia with Disney and Universal than Miami does. I then asked to name one company in Miami that's anywhere near the size of those companies in Orlando and nobody has been able to. Instead, you've decided to take my post out of context and twist it into something it's not.

Who cares what LAS has or doesn't have. That's not relevant to this discussion.

Except it was already said that the business tie, when it come to Disney, is not between Orlando and Japan, but rather between LA and Japan, and between LA and Orlando. (I won't repeat for the Universal Parks).

Ultimately, I will say neither MCO nor MIA really have strong business tie to Japan in general, call it a 0-0 tie.

Fastphilly

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:10 am

JL, NH and AA aren't in the business of hauling trash yields halfway around the globe to beach and Disney resorts. That leaves MCO and MIA on the back burner until the first nuclear powered passenger jets come online :p

jetmechanicdave

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:41 am

Gentlemen, please no personal attacks. Lets discuss the topic without attacking the users.

Thanks guys

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos