Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mbmbos

Re: Delta Employees to Get New Uniforms

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Too bad female employees only have a choice of...purple. If you look at the uniforms for male employees, the base color is gray with purple accents.

Having a neutral color as a primary or foundational color for a uniform is merciful, as it allows for greater compatibility with various complexions. Also, that the women must wear purple but the men get to wear gray has a sexist taint to it as well.

Polot

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:01 pm

I believe I made this image back when the uniforms were first revealed last year:

dtw2hyd

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:19 pm

I think airlines should pay just 25% to designers and release rest of 75% only after positive feedback. It appears hotshot designers and the airline crack teams live in a parallel universe. Can't believe some designer got $Million+ for this.

There is nothing wrong with models representing current reality and diversity, but they couldn't pick decent colors?

LawAndOrder

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Mir wrote:
They're not bad, honestly. They look pretty sharp, a nice variety of styles but not too much variety. There's just one little problem:

Nothing at all about them identifies with Delta. Delta's livery is blue and red. Delta's cabins are blue and grey with some red accents. The crew is going to be the only purple thing on that airplane. If I didn't know better, if I saw one of them walking through the airport I would think "I have no idea who they work for". Even if I saw their wings I'd be wondering who ripped off Delta's logo. That's a branding fail.

jumbojet wrote:
There are only so primary colors they can go with. They have to be cautious because you don't want it use United colors, AA colors, JetBlue colors, and so on and so on.

This is why shades of color are a thing. Many, many airlines in the world have blue uniforms. KLM still manages to look pretty damn distinctive. United has blue uniforms, but their blue is a lighter blue, so there's no need to worry about being confused. It's also accents are a thing. American's uniforms are the same dark shade of blue Delta uses. But then you see someone's tie, or someone's scarf, and you match the colors on it to the tail of the aircraft and you immediately recognize that they work for American. Delta had a good thing going with their uniform color scheme. The style might have needed a refresh, but not a complete overhaul like this.

The problem is that currently with AA and WN and lessor extent UA, the average person wouldn't know that they didn't work for the same companies if you got all of the employees together. Had DL kept the same color story they would have been almost the exact same as WN, and ccurrently VX. DL decided to step out, just FYI the blue that is in Delta's current uniform isn't the Delta blue. The uniforms didn't exactly match with the blue that is currently in DL economy cabin. Southwest uniforms do not match their new interior or exterior for that matter. There are ways DL could help the purple story if they wanted to. We will see i supposed if they think it's that crucial. We are still over a half year away from when employees will be wearing them.

LawAndOrder

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:11 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
The purple stands out, but not in a good way. It doesn't complement the livery or the interior color scheme. (It may even clash with the color of the seats.)

The gold buttons are just tacky.

As if we needed more proof that Zac Posen is a second-tier designer at best.

Are you kidding me..............lol a second tier designer lmao.......fashion is about taking risk and having something that is polarizing. The devil is in the details. He merged a iconic silhouette with a modern and fresh color. Its elegant with an ode to the past with fabrics and structure of the future. It's literally like the median between Korean and Virgin with a different color. Don't believe me just watch...... I have many videos and pictures of people rocking the uniform. Pay close attention the ladies of size in the uniforms and do a quick search to see what the current uniforms in sky do for ladies with thicker figures....including delta's red dress.

LawAndOrder

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:17 pm

It's funny the fashion b-logs, sites and even Anna Wintour are going crazy about the details and new styles, but on airliners as with everything DL its the worst thing ever. But a basic grey suit with a white or checkered shirt along with a scarf that almost exactly matches the tail of a plane and some tacky various colored red shoes is all the rage. I guess this is why I do not get fashion advice from airlines..........United paint scheme was poorly received because it's basic and inside the box these are anything but. Anyhow.........I hope we revisit this topic when they start wearing them.

BAINY3

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Maybe the purple is just fan service to MSP pax. Prince? Vikings? You decide.

Jokes aside, I think the styling itself is really nice even if the color is unusual given the rest of DL's branding.

TerminalD
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:23 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
.fashion is about taking risk and having something that is polarizing.

Running a mass-market business is the exact opposite.

LawAndOrder wrote:
The problem is that currently with AA and WN and lessor extent UA, the average person wouldn't know that they didn't work for the same companies if you got all of the employees together.

Of course with all the contracted out ground staff in the industry that's kind of a good thing. You can bet DGS won't be wearing purple uniforms to handle other airlines!

jetlanta

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
It's funny the fashion b-logs, sites and even Anna Wintour are going crazy about the details and new styles, but on airliners as with everything DL its the worst thing ever. But a basic grey suit with a white or checkered shirt along with a scarf that almost exactly matches the tail of a plane and some tacky various colored red shoes is all the rage. I guess this is why I do not get fashion advice from airlines..........United paint scheme was poorly received because it's basic and inside the box these are anything but. Anyhow.........I hope we revisit this topic when they start wearing them.

Well said. Aren't people bored yet with the same ol' same ol'? (BTW...i remember when the current Delta livery was considered a "terrible choice" on a.net)

I'd love to see how people on this forum dress themselves.

pezzy669

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 pm

The guys uniforms are not too bad and the purple secondary color is the right amount. Now the ladies uniforms, that is just purple overload! Doesn't seem like it will mesh well with their overall red and blue branding scheme.

ldvaviation

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
Are you kidding me..............lol a second tier designer lmao.......fashion is about taking risk and having something that is polarizing. The devil is in the details. He merged a iconic silhouette with a modern and fresh color. Its elegant with an ode to the past with fabrics and structure of the future. It's literally like the median between Korean and Virgin with a different color.

There is nothing modern or fresh about this color. Who are you kidding? (The last time a purple was Pantone's color of the year was 2008. And, it was a blue-purple, Blue Iris.)

As to the silhouettes, there are far too many variations without any consistency. Against that backdrop, the dress silhouette appears idiosyncratic, not iconic.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:59 pm

Tried to give it a second look today. Still horrendous.

It's going to age terribly too.

LawAndOrder

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:12 am

ldvaviation wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
Are you kidding me..............lol a second tier designer lmao.......fashion is about taking risk and having something that is polarizing. The devil is in the details. He merged a iconic silhouette with a modern and fresh color. Its elegant with an ode to the past with fabrics and structure of the future. It's literally like the median between Korean and Virgin with a different color.

There is nothing modern or fresh about this color. Who are you kidding? (The last time a purple was Pantone's color of the year was 2008. And, it was a blue-purple, Blue Iris.)

As to the silhouettes, there are far too many variations without any consistency. Against that backdrop, the dress silhouette appears idiosyncratic, not iconic.

In a sea of red white and blue this is fresh. I am not talking about pantone's color of the year lol, I am talking fashion. There basically 2 silhouettes. The dresses and skirts are both pencil shape[ (from the back you would not be able to tell the difference).. All pieces having a high neckline or a scarf, The only other real silihoute is the pants. Ill say it again I will see you all in 6 months once you see it in person on multiple people.

LawAndOrder

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:17 am

[quote="Varsity1"]Tried to give it a second look today. Still horrendous.

They wont get a chance to age DL like AA is set to refresh every couple of years. Contracts no longer are signed for 10 years of the same thing. The dress and skirts can be changed to any color, red, blue, green or yellow and it will still look beautiful.

dampfnudel

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:18 am

I think female FAs should've had the choice of gray, perhaps with purple accents like the male FAs.

BobbyPSP

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 am

I like it. It's different from the basics. Thai airways utilizes a lot of purple and the ground staff look fantastic in BKK, along with inflight in Purple

It looks like there are ground staff along with inflight. Summer & winter dresses, slacks/vest + blazer, etc. The blue/red one is standing out and doesnt fit IMO. If this a Purser or Ground lead?

questions

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 am

I like the new uniforms and think they will look excellent when rolled out.

A lot of folks are reacting to the color of the uniforms being inconsistent with Delta’s blue and red “branding.” What is being overlooked is that the design and color palette of the uniforms are very consistent with elements of the Delta “brand” — some of which are aspirational. The uniforms are meant to evoke a sense of being modern, pushing the edge, standing out and not being afraid of being a little different from the others. “Keep climbing.” When viewed among a sea of other US airlines’ uniforms this will be clear.

Again, I really like the uniforms. What stands out to me is that Delta’s aircraft cabin designers are operating out of sync from the brand DNA (note: not referring to “branding” here). As an example, Virgin America pulled off the connection to the Virgin “brand” really well in F class — white leather seats; when boarding window shades down regardless of time year or day and the cabin lights were turned off and the reading lights turned on highlighting the seats (vs all the bright grocery store fluorescents turned on as with other airlines). All of this connected to the Virgin “brand” and was purposeful in evoking the feeling of a hip night club for premium passengers. While I’m not suggesting Delta needs to follow VXs night club feel, the cabin designers are disconnected to aspects of the “brand” Delta is cultivating.

Go Passport Plum!

B727skyguy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:09 am

global1 wrote:
The materials, attention to detail, and manufacturer (Lands End-made in the USA) are top notch.

I wouldn't be so sure about the "made in the USA" part. I have a Lands' End garment that bears a label saying "Made in China."

aemoreira1981

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:31 am

Just remember---you can't spell Delta without an L! There is no purple in the Delta livery. Its colors are blue and red.

lebda

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:12 am

...............I actually like them.

For the past couple of decades most American uniforms have looked like something you'd wear to a funeral. The color is a nice change and the uniforms are recognizable.

questions

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:22 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Just remember---you can't spell Delta without an L! There is no purple in the Delta livery. Its colors are blue and red.

Nor lime green at the time of these uniforms. Long live Passport Plum! :)

smi0006

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 am

I like them, American Airlines are not renowned for being stylish and modern- but these uniforms look rather stylish, chic whilst practical and uniform . DL bucks the trend.

I think they look fantastic on all body sizes, which is not easy. And it looks like all pieces for all sizes, if I remember correctly the red dress only goes to size 12?

Purple as a colour made from blue and red makes sense to me, and is a soft colour, and links to accents to colours in the brand. Outside of the US use of bold colours isn’t that foreign - NZ pink, blue and green, QF - pink, red and navy, EY - Brown and purple, green, KE - pale blue and cream. MH/SQ - multicolour, S7 - bright green and blue, SU- Oragne.

When you look good you feel good - I’m sure this will give a pleasant boost to the team at DL!

seahawk

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:54 am

The female uniforms look okay, but the male ones look cheap. The grey jacket and pants look like a cheap work "uniform". It seems to fit badly and the material hangs from the body in a cheap way.

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 am

...it's just that the color is so not Delta...? I'm very confused....

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:07 am

BobbyPSP wrote:
I like it. It's different from the basics. Thai airways utilizes a lot of purple and the ground staff look fantastic in BKK, along with inflight in Purple

It looks like there are ground staff along with inflight. Summer & winter dresses, slacks/vest + blazer, etc. The blue/red one is standing out and doesnt fit IMO. If this a Purser or Ground lead?

I agree, and I love Thai..but...purple IS one of their main color... but Delta?

global1

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:34 pm

The comment "it's so not Delta", in a way sums it up because the Delta of today is so not like your grandpappy's Delta.
This is a bolder, fresher, stylish, forward thinking brand.

michman

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey folks, these "Passport Plum" uniforms were actually unveiled over a year ago. Here's some more details on the selection. Note that the employees were involved in the decision (it wasn't just DL's).

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/18/deltas- ... eiled.html

ldvaviation

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 pm

global1 wrote:
The comment "it's so not Delta", in a way sums it up because the Delta of today is so not like your grandpappy's Delta.

This is not forward-thinking. It is idiosyncratic and in poor taste.

jetlanta

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:01 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
global1 wrote:

This is not forward-thinking. It is idiosyncratic and in poor taste.

And, of course, taste is highly subjective.

Surprises me that no one recognizes that purple is the fusion of blue and red. Also reminds me of all the people who complained about the starkness of tDelta's cabins for so long. Delta's color palette has been red, blue and (off) white. Thats it. Another signature accent color adds some depth to that palette. It also provides the opportunity to provide some "richness" to it.

readytotaxi

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:02 pm

enginesrus

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm

You know, that purple may not be consistent with current Delta branding, but it's perfectly consistent with Virgin Atlantic branding. Just sayin'.

cjg225

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 pm

I am a HUGE Delta fan, but... wow. Those are horrible.

The red uniforms were phenomenal. These are... awful.

DL752

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:53 pm

DL752 wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
I have one question. Why are they purple? I notice Delta.com today has a purple background. Are they changing their colors? I prefer the blue and red myself.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/natio ... zdfDwpaHM/

Here is what they sent out to employees:

- Blending of Northwest Red and Delta Blue to make Passport Purple
- Color of royalty

DL752 :airplane:

Also, more discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1345521

Seems like the link disappeared.

As well as the blending of NW and DL employees and the royalty background:

The color purple also works well with multiple skin tones and brings Delta away from traditional US uniform colors and includes itself in a more global stance.

http://deltaairlines.sharepoint.com/com ... ditionID=8

DL752

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:57 pm

jetlanta wrote:

Surprises me that no one recognizes that purple is the fusion of blue and red. Also reminds me of all the people who complained about the starkness of tDelta's cabins for so long. Delta's color palette has been red, blue and (off) white. Thats it. Another signature accent color adds some depth to that palette. It also provides the opportunity to provide some "richness" to it.

Reminds me of when B6 added the green and orange accents.
Nice change of pace. Along with branding changes, the purple may blend well.. especially with the gray bulkheads and machinery.

Polot

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 pm

I don't mind the purple/grey all that much. We all know A.net goes into hysterics whenever an airline does something new, then they get use to and accept/embrace it. The earlier mention of DL's current livery is a fantastic example...you should go back and read the ~4 part thread when the livery was accidentally leaked it is always a riot knowing how people view the livery/branding now.

I do think the women's options do skew too heavily purple, and the men's red coat is a little much and doesn't fit in (I'm guessing those are for the customer service reps though).

Aptivaboy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Braniff Airlines in mid 1970's is a good example of bad uniform.
http://www.maryhop.com/assets/images/FA ... oLB4dc.jpg

I'll give Braniff a pass on that monstrosity. It was the seventies, and fashion-wise nearly anything was acceptable. They also had Calder involved in a lot of their designs and such, so again, over the top was actually the plan. In other words, Braniff got what they wanted. When you saw that uniform, you instantly knew it was a Braniff employee. Whether one liked it or not, think of it as a very unique and garish form of branding.

Now, this abomination... What was Delta thinking? There's nothing unique about the uniform that stands out and says, "Delta." You could look at an employee wearing this uniform and not be able to guess whose airline they worked for. With Virgin and Aeroflot, on the other hand, there's no way around it. One look and you know (good or bad!). The color is hideous. Simply hideous.

Dalmd88

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:44 pm

As a DL mechanic, I hate the new maintenance uniforms. At least we got the shirts toned down. Our primary shirts were to be purple with grey/black accents. For the polo shirts that has been reversed. My other complaint is the polo style has a zipper instead of proper buttons. They look like some 70's disco shirt. The button down shirts also have zippers for the pockets.

smi0006

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
Dalmd88 wrote:
As a DL mechanic, I hate the new maintenance uniforms. At least we got the shirts toned down. Our primary shirts were to be purple with grey/black accents. For the polo shirts that has been reversed. My other complaint is the polo style has a zipper instead of proper buttons. They look like some 70's disco shirt. The button down shirts also have zippers for the pockets.

In fairness though- weren’t employee groups part of the design phase? I’m sure DL management doesn’t care about zips for maintenance workers - it’s not exactly brand related. Why didn’t your group representative speak up? Or is it a case of can’t please all? It’s uniform beats wearing your own clothing, and can’t keep everyone happy.

ldvaviation

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 pm

jetlanta wrote:

I think gold buttons are in poor taste. You may not.

I think a dress more suited to a mother of the bride is in poor taste for a FA. You may not.

I think a color (plum) one associates more with the late 80's and its synthetic fabrics is in poor taste. You may not.

As to the need for another signature accent color, that may be the case, but this was not the right choice.

TVNWZ

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:23 pm

It's not all purple. There is an all red ensemble shown with a red skirt and red blazer. Very nice looking.

alasizon

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:31 am

TVNWZ wrote:
It's not all purple. There is an all red ensemble shown with a red skirt and red blazer. Very nice looking.

Which I would presume is probably reserved for pursers and CS Supervisors.

CobaltScar

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:46 am

Id kill for the turtleneck/vest combo. Would not bother purchasing any of the others. I agree if they are going to go with more purple, than add it to the aircraft and other branding too.

questions

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 am

ldvaviation wrote:

I think a color (plum) one associates more with the late 80's and its synthetic fabrics is in poor taste. You may not.

Mauve was the color of the late 80s, not Passport Plum.

AirAfreak

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:50 am

Now that sadly, DL no longer flies NRT-BKK & v.v., no one will ever mistake <<passport plum>> as a THAI Airways uniform at Suvarnabhumi.

I would have loved to see Christian Lacroix (Air France) do the uniform for Delta. Or maybe Richard Tyler doing an update?!!!!

These uniforms don't quite spark joy for me.

Dalmd88

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:12 am

smi0006 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Dalmd88 wrote:

In fairness though- weren’t employee groups part of the design phase? I’m sure DL management doesn’t care about zips for maintenance workers - it’s not exactly brand related. Why didn’t your group representative speak up? Or is it a case of can’t please all? It’s uniform beats wearing your own clothing, and can’t keep everyone happy.

I complained to every wear tester and submitted emails to the comments email. Others did also. The zipper looks like it made it through the final changes.

LawAndOrder

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:43 am

ldvaviation wrote:
jetlanta wrote:

I think gold buttons are in poor taste. You may not.

I think a dress more suited to a mother of the bride is in poor taste for a FA. You may not.

As to the need for another signature accent color, that may be the case, but this was not the right choice.

Give me a break good buttons is in poor taste. Maybe u just have poor taste? How does a color give u a decade. Do we not realize that fashion often times pulls inspiration from the past? The uniforms look and feel great. They may not be ur taste but then again they may not be striving to be ur taste. For all we know your style may be of poor taste. Zac is a excellent designer and he knows his stuff. I met him last night and we talked about very negative critiques. He says he has always been met with opposition, he says the right people are noticing and that once everyone is in it he has no doubt everyone will see the vision. Let's face it change is hard

LawAndOrder

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:49 am

Dalmd88 wrote:

Come on it's leaps ahead of the I'll fitting, janitorial, harsh fabric uniforms of the current collection. I mean I don't understand I've hated DL ground and TOC uniforms for years. Give u some performance gear and now the world is ending, no offense but give me a break. Zippers are actually in (and been in), zippers last longer and don't have to be replaced as often when employees often order to small shirt to appear "bigger" and bust out of them. I just don't get it. Isn't tech ops the ones that complained about the purple color like all of a sudden wearing purple is going to make u less masculine lmao.....laughable

LawAndOrder

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:53 am

AirAfreak wrote:
Now that sadly, DL no longer flies NRT-BKK & v.v., no one will ever mistake <<passport plum>> as a THAI Airways uniform at Suvarnabhumi.

I would have loved to see Christian Lacroix (Air France) do the uniform for Delta. Or maybe Richard Tyler doing an update?!!!!

So more spot suits and window dressings.....exciting.....it's the colors Air France and DL were of the same color scheme. If DL would have stuck with red white and blue in the same designs we wouldn't be having this convo. Change is hard. People Hated the red dress initially.....how soon we forget

LawAndOrder

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am

LawAndOrder wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

So more zoot suits and window dressings.....exciting.....it's the colors Air France and DL were of the same color scheme. AF uniforms aren't exactly all the rage. If DL would have stuck with red white and blue in the same designs we wouldn't be having this convo. Change is hard. People Hated the red dress initially.....how soon we forget

CanadaFair

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:51 pm

eisenbach wrote:
vtntndl wrote:
Walmart School of Fashion.

I think you hit it with these four words!!!

I hope the make the same as Austrian Airlines, when they announced new (ridiculous) uniforms 2 years ago -> Some month later they decided for "cost reasons" not to introduce it and to keep the old (current) uniform.

But OS new uniforms looked awesome, there was no reason to dump them

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos