Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Re: Do Flight Attendants Know if a Passenger is Underage?

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:38 pm

It should be noted that drinking ages in the US are state laws. You can drink on a military base (federal property) at 18 if the base commander allows it.

mke717spotter

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:42 pm

A little over ten years ago I was flying back to MKE on FL. The guy sitting next to me ordered a beer, and when the flight attendant asked him for his ID he reached into his pocket and said "Damn, I must've left my wallet on the counter at the airport bar." Of course it was a ruse, and he got the beer. The flight attendant was a bit on the younger side too, so she probably didn't care as much anyways.

GBNWB

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 pm

cpd wrote:
I've seen it happen to another passenger on a United Airlines international flight, the passenger did look young but produced some ID and all was sorted without much bother.

GBNWB wrote:
Of the hundreds of flights I have taken on AA I will have had a beer on almost every one of them and have never been asked for ID. The only place I get asked for ID in the USA without fail is at the grocery store. What is the point in that? How many 20 year olds are there that look 40? I guess it is because they have to type the DOB into the register?

I have only ever been asked for ID once in the UK and that was at Tesco a few years ago. I had sent my licence to the DVLA and had about £130 worth of food on the belt. The woman working there asked me for my ID, I explained it was at the DVLA, I was actually 32 and that I was a police officer. She looked at my police ID and commented it didnt have my date of birth on there. I resisted the temptation to be sarcastic and told her politely that there are no 17 year old police officers in the UK. She just looked at me with a gormless expression. So I walked off and left her to sort the belt full of shopping I had loaded.

By all means ask people who look youg for ID, but I have grey hair for gods sake! Common sense approach.

I'll bet if you did make a sarcastic remark, there would have been an official complaint about your conduct and a talking to from your superiors.

I'm willing to bet it wouldn't, thankfully the UK has not got quite as bad as the US in that regard yet.

readytotaxi

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Finn350 wrote:
It is not only the registration of the plane that matters. My understanding is that aircraft in Saudi Arabia airspace are not allowed to serve alcohol, regardless of registration of the plane, for example.

An aircraft over flying 30,000ft in SA airspace has to stop serving alcohol :confused: How is this policed?

Finn350

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:26 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
readytotaxi wrote:
Finn350 wrote:
It is not only the registration of the plane that matters. My understanding is that aircraft in Saudi Arabia airspace are not allowed to serve alcohol, regardless of registration of the plane, for example.

An aircraft over flying 30,000ft in SA airspace has to stop serving alcohol :confused: How is this policed?

I suppose the same way as other offences against prevailing rules governing serving alcohol in the plane :roll:

Super80Fan

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
It should be noted that drinking ages in the US are state laws. You can drink on a military base (federal property) at 18 if the base commander allows it.

Not really states controlling it when the federal government is basically making them by threatening to pull their highway funds.

VolvoBus

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Expanding the topic, with the increase in BoB nowadays, where do the airlines stand regarding the licensing laws? Most, if not all, require premises where alcohol is sold to be licensed, and, I believe ,in the UK that a licensed person is on the premises when it is sold.

eurowings

!

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
Expanding the topic, with the increase in BoB nowadays, where do the airlines stand regarding the licensing laws? Most, if not all, require premises where alcohol is sold to be licensed, and, I believe ,in the UK that a licensed person is on the premises when it is sold.

In the UK the Licensing Act 2003 doesn't actually apply to airside outlets nor is applied to aircraft or trains, therefore you now see everywhere selling alcohol at UK airports at all times of day and airlines can sell whatever whenever they want to. I don't even think that airport pubs can face legal action if they sell to under 18s!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos