I doubt very much if you will ever see EI operating to Dakar, Khartoum, Kabul or even Lagos! Indeed the market from Ireland would probably support very few if any African or Middle Eastern/Western Asian destinations. I think IAG's main aim with these aircraft will be to offer flights to new niche destinations in North America currently unserved by transatlantic flights, but which would have the potential to generate enough transit traffic to the UK and Europe to supplement any O&D traffic and fill an A321. Will be very interesting to see how this pans out!
Couldn't agree more... After all, that's what IAG said they were buying EI for....
I agree. This is about connecting smaller US/Canadian markets to UK regions and the continent plus avoiding LHR. In this case, DUB is becoming IAG's poor mans choice to AMS.
Maybe poor but more efficient. Doesn't matter where in the UK... if you fly to the US connecting in AMS, your are flying in the wrong direction for the first hop. And then back over the UK enroute to your destination.
There are two other questions that IAG has to navigate: Brexit and LHR expansion. Brexit might mean IAG wants/needs to stop using the UK as a hub between North America and the EU (particularly if IAG has to divest BA down to 49%) whereas LHR expansion might mean that this is all moot.
That's already the case. IAG only owns 49% of BA. At least 49% of voting-rights shares in BA. The other 51% is owned by a British trustee. That's how IAG could be sure BA is always considered British. BTW, the same applies to IB. I'm not sure the same procedure were put in place when buying EI
About the two "issues", let's start with the most clear one: LHR. It ain't happening. Not for the foreseable future.
Then Brexit... that's closer but we don't know what will happen for sure but might have an impact on.... (read below)
the objective is to build hubbing through Dublin - "the DubHub", so to speak!
But the problem is the DubHub could be affected by the Brexit outcome. Right now, DUB T2 is built around 2 domestic flights, a handful of CTA (read British) flights, another handful of morning US flights, a majority of Schengen (EU and not-EU) flghts and what we can call "other".
If there is suddenly (read 2019-2020) a need to perform inmigration controls between the Republic or Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain, for sure the lay-out of T2 will have to be rearranged. That would mean inbound flights from the UK would need passengers clearing inmigration upon arrival. If connecting, these ones might bypass inmigration but might be forced to reclear security screening should the EU rule that a UK-cleared passanger is not secure enough.
Even trickier... If the Common Travel Area is no more and Ireland joins Schengen, passengers from this area could simply deplane directly to the departures lounge and follow their path to the onward flight. Just a small number of gates would need to be inmigration-capable. UK-inbound passengers couldn't mix in, unless going though Irish-Schengen inmigration.
Or Ireland could choose to remain outside "any area" and treating all inbound flights as international, passengers subject to passport control to exit the airport doors and bypassing it for connecting. But connecting passengers from certain flights would need to (re-)clear security if the country of origin does not meet EU standards.
The DubHub depends on how easy it is to connect through it.... and that relies A LOT on the UK-EI border.
Last edited by Aisak
on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.