Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Emirates eyes second daily DXB-AKL

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 am

After the withdrawal of Emirates on Trans Tasman routes to AKL from Australia, Emirates is considering adding another non stop daily service to AKL.

Also under consideration is adding a service to another destination to New Zealand, could we see SYD-CHC dropped in favor of a non stop DXB-CHC

https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-eyes- ... ai-service

zkncj

Re: Emirates eyes second daily DXB-AKL

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 am

Although now with an change of Government that wants to tax tourists it could be an end to growth in inbound passengers.

DobboDobbo

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:01 am

Having experienced a less than half full EK449 a few days ago, I think a second daily to AKL is unlikely (usual anecdotal caveats apply).

Perhaps EK would be minded to open up the South Island direct from DXB? Would CHC's runway be long enough?

NZ321

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 am

I am surprised. Would have picked DXB-SIN-AKL over a second nonstop

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:55 am

zkncj wrote:
Although now with an change of Government that wants to tax tourists it could be an end to growth in inbound passengers.

"Could" being the operative word - there are other factors at play here, such as the potential devaluation of the New Zealand dollar with the country's new economic policies, which in turn "could" also offset the effect of this tax, and make New Zealand an even cheaper destination than it currently is.

NZ321 wrote:
I am surprised. Would have picked DXB-SIN-AKL over a second nonstop

:checkmark:

DobboDobbo wrote:
Having experienced a less than half full EK449 a few days ago, I think a second daily to AKL is unlikely (usual anecdotal caveats apply).

AKL - DXB is subject to payload restrictions, in light of distance and winds - that could explain the spare capacity on your flight. Another reason might be the time of the year - it is not peak season in New Zealand yet, so EK might follow CX and SQ's lead in only seasonally increasing capacity to AKL.

There are other factors to consider here, too:

- Additional passengers will use the non-stop service, once the 2x daily one-stop services cease, next March
- Load factor is only one consideration - cargo demand and yield might improve the economics of any flight
- EK could replace 1x daily A380 with 2x daily 77Ls (with, AFAIK, the 77Ls not being payload restricted west-bound)

DobboDobbo wrote:
Perhaps EK would be minded to open up the South Island direct from DXB? Would CHC's runway be long enough?

Yes, CHC's runway (10,785 ft) is only slightly shorter than AKL's runway (11,926 ft) - there would be no issue.

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:43 am

DobboDobbo wrote:

It’s hardly peak season. CHC I would imagine as well non stop, to me it’s a matter of when not if for both CHC and a second AKL, though with AKL I agree they could go via Asia likely SIN. It may come down to 77L availability, only 10 in the fleet, I could see 2 77L’s to AKL in NS with atleast 1 going A380 in NW maybe both, CHC you would think would be a 77L atleast initially like AKL was, this is EK though.

I’m not sure they would start either before October 2018.

aerorobnz

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 am

If it was going to happen within the next year it would have been announced at the same time as the cancellations. And it won't be an A380, In fact, if it happens at all I think EK will not operate an A380 at all to AKL just 2x 777s

EK413

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 am

aerorobnz wrote:
If it was going to happen within the next year it would have been announced at the same time as the cancellations. And it won't be an A380, In fact, if it happens at all I think EK will not operate an A380 at all to AKL just 2x 777s

That’s exactly what I was thinking double daily DXB-AKL B77Ls makes a lot of sense which might eventually become 3 x daily further down the track. EK have 10 x B77L with a further 10 on order.

EK413

sealand

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:45 am

Note that Emirates is talking about a new direct flight, not non-stop flight. My take is given that EK is adding a new non-stop BNE flight in Dec 17, it'll be prudent for them to shift the DXB-SIN-BNE flight to DXB-SIN-AKL with the B77W. However, not sure if they've the rights to fly SIN-AKL.

planemanofnz

~~

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am

EK413 wrote:
a further 10 on order

No - EK considered ordering additional 77Ls in 2015, but did not go through with this.

See:
- http://active.boeing.com/commercial/ord ... iew+Report.
- https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... -jets.html.

EK413 wrote:
eventually become 3 x daily further down the track

This is not out of reach, particularly given EK's (soon to be) capacity levels at other major Australasian cities:

- SYD: 4x daily (3x daily non-stop, 1x daily one-stop, via BKK) - all A380s
- MEL: 3x daily (2x daily non-stop, 1x daily one-stop, via SIN) - all A380s
- BNE: 3x daily (2x daily non-stop, 1x daily one-stop, via SIN) - one A380
- PER: 2x daily non-stop - one A380

The other factors which give EK a strong platform with which to add capacity to AKL, include:

- Brand recognition, having been the only ME3 player in the market for ~15 years, and sponsoring Team New Zealand
- Continued ability to source domestic feed in New Zealand by interlining with JQ at NPE, NPL, NSN, PMR, WLG and ZQN
- Lack of interest of QF in improving Europe connections, unlike at MEL, PER and SYD, and further lack of interest of EY
- Continued strength of New Zealand's economy, with GDP and tourist arrivals both forecast to continue increasing

sealand wrote:
My take is given that EK is adding a new non-stop BNE flight in Dec 17, it'll be prudent for them to shift the DXB-SIN-BNE flight to DXB-SIN-AK.

EK has built up a presence on BNE - SIN pver 15 years, with the route now within the JV with QF - I doubt that EK will exit this market.

In addition, BNE is the only major market in Australia that QR does not (yet) fly to - IMHO, EK will be keen to solidify its dominance there.

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

EK413

Re: ~~

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 am

planemanofnz wrote:
EK413 wrote:
a further 10 on order

No - EK considered ordering additional 77Ls in 2015, but AFAIK, did not go through with this.

See: https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... -jets.html.

I was trying to find the link and this explains why. Remember the order was announced during the B77X order.

EK413

bunumuring

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 am

Hey guys,
Can I ask why some posters think Singapore would be the best stop over point between Dubai and Auckland, if there is to be one? Why not, for example, Bangkok? Or Bali? Or somewhere real left of centre like Darwin or Cairns to add another 'dot on the map ' for Emirates....
Just thinking out aloud....
Cheers,
Bunumuring

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:48 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Can I ask why some posters think Singapore would be the best stop over point between Dubai and Auckland, if there is to be one? Why not, for example, Bangkok? Or Bali? Or somewhere real left of centre like Darwin or Cairns to add another 'dot on the map ' for Emirates....

A SIN stop for a second daily DXB - AKL service would make a lot of sense, particularly given:

- EK already has a well established quasi-hub at SIN, feeding flights there to BNE, CMB and MEL
- SIN allows AKL-based passengers to avail of QF's new SIN - LHR service, as well as JQ's SIN hub
- A SIN stop would make for a shorter overall routing to AKL, than a BKK, CNS or DRW stop would
- AKL - SIN O&D demand has bigger volumes and higher yield, than those of AKL - BKK / CNS / DRW

IMHO, the other stops that might make sense, are:

- CGK
There are currently no year-round Indonesia - New Zealand services, and CGK is the only big Asian commercial capital that is not served from AKL. Not only would this flight do well with cargo, but a CGK stop would make for a shorter overall routing than a PER or SIN stop would.

- PER
EK is facing a challenge at PER, with the WA economy not doing so well of late, and QF's upcoming PER - LHR flight likely to take away some of EK's PER passengers - an AKL tag could 'top up' EK's PER flights. In addition, there is strong O&D demand between AKL and PER.

Cheers,

C.

777LRF

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:18 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,

A SIN stop for a second daily DXB - AKL service would make a lot of sense, particularly given:

- EK already has a well established quasi-hub at SIN, feeding flights there to BNE, CMB and MEL
- SIN allows AKL-based passengers to avail of QF's new SIN - LHR service, as well as JQ's SIN hub
- A SIN stop would make for a shorter overall routing to AKL, than a BKK, CNS or DRW stop would
- AKL - SIN O&D demand has bigger volumes and higher yield, than those of AKL - BKK / CNS / DRW

IMHO, the other stops that might make sense, are:

- CGK
There are currently no year-round Indonesia - New Zealand services, and CGK is the only big Asian commercial capital that is not served from AKL. Not only would this flight do well with cargo, but a CGK stop would make for a shorter overall routing than a PER or SIN stop would.

- PER
EK is facing a challenge at PER, with the WA economy not doing so well of late, and QF's upcoming PER - LHR flight likely to take away some of EK's PER passengers - an AKL tag could 'top up' EK's PER flights. In addition, there is strong O&D demand between AKL and PER.

Cheers,

C.

Great points. Makes me wonder why it hasnt come to fruition quicker. In hindsight id have guessed that EK SIN-AKL would have come before the non stop. Perhaps there are traffic rights issues that prevent it?

Either way makes more sense than the rumour a few months ago of EK doing BNE-WLG. But as all things with EK, never say never.

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:28 pm

777LRF wrote:
Great points. Makes me wonder why it hasnt come to fruition quicker. In hindsight id have guessed that EK SIN-AKL would have come before the non stop. Perhaps there are traffic rights issues that prevent it?

EK's non-stop DXB - AKL service was a response to statements made by AAB that QR was considering a DOH - AKL service - EK wanted to pre-empt QR.

It was announced in January 2016, and started operating only about one month later, with EK able to re-book passengers from its one-stop services.

See:
- http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11581539.
- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-strains.

Cheers,

C.

NZ321

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 pm

CGK is an excellent suggestion but I think it will go to SIN for aforementioned reasons. Don't see a second nonstop to AKL at this point but CHC could be interesting with 77L.

emiratesdriver

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Still very short of crews and currently going through a major purge of expat training management, that's how the ME works if you don't already know, blame the expat rather than the habibi. Why am I mentioning this? There won't be any new services announced until they can crew the existing flights, presently, particularly on the 380 people are being begged to work days off and even our COO has sent an email pleading for crews not to post or read what's written in social media.

Recently sent by training to crews

Ladies and Gentlemen

STANDARDS ON THE LINE

You will be aware that we have experienced some poorly managed events on the line over the last few months; unfortunately we experienced another one last week. In Training we promote the fact that we are driven by evidence, well the evidence indicates that that these events can no longer be viewed as isolated events, therefore it is imperative action is taken to stop the onset of a potential trend. We need to raise the levels of airmanship, awareness, suspicion and professionalism across our pilot community. Let me state that we are of the firm belief that the vast majority of our pilots are professional, proficient, efficient and effective. Unfortunately, the evidence indicates there is still work to be done to bring a small minority of pilots to this standard. The acid test, as always is, if following any training/checking session you would not be confident with the pilot flying your loved ones into some of the demanding destinations, terrain, weather and ATC environments which we operate into, then you have to flag those concerns to Training Management by accurately grading and reporting your observations.

In reviewing the events of the last few months we have asked ourselves what are we doing wrong? What are we missing? What’s the root cause? Why is our training and checking not able to identify those pilots who underperform on the line? Whilst the PFs and PMs in each case demonstrated failures in one or more of the pilot competencies, it was the loss of Situation Awareness and ineffective Pilot monitoring which were so concerning; we therefore need to enhance our training with regards to both. We have already started this in the current round of RTGS, where we present the Flight Data Monitoring playbacks from some of the events in question and then facilitate a discussion on what went wrong and what could have been done to prevent the situation from developing. However it is obvious that we need to do more, therefore in cooperation with Fleet we have decided to introduce the following changes:

· Trainers are to re-emphasize the importance of Pilot Monitoring duties during all Training and Checking events; this is to happen with immediate effect.
· Recurrent training to include a manually flown (Auto Pilot/Auto Throttle off) short sector, focusing on SA and Monitoring. We already cover this on Day 3 on the A380 using NCE; Boeing will introduce something similar on Day 2, this will be effective from 1 Oct this year. Emphasis is to be placed on the Pilot Monitoring making timely exceedance calls and demonstrating a satisfactory level of monitoring throughout the session. Please continue to insert ‘distractors’ during your sessions to mirror the distractions encountered on the line. The PM is to prioritise his workload to ensure his own SA and the safety of the aircraft are never compromised.
· We have re-written the word pictures for the Communication and the Leadership, Teamwork and Support PAMs to include more focus on PM skills. The FCI detailing these changes will be published shortly and will be effective immediately on receipt.
· During a training/checking session should a pilot miss a number of radio or SOP calls which might jeopardise the safety of the flight, or if their attitude or professionalism is called into question then the pilot is to be graded a ‘1’ for Leadership, Teamwork and Support. I accept this is subjective and whilst I would not expect to see a trainee fail because of a ‘few’ missed calls, several missed radio and/or SOP calls could be indicative of capacity or SA issues, so additional training is entirely appropriate.
· Any commander who is graded a ‘1’ or a ‘2’ for any competency during Day 1 or 2 of their recurrent simulator session will continue with their remaining simulator sessions, unless they are removed by a Training Manager. However, on completion of their recurrent training sessions a review of their performance will be conducted by Training/Fleet management prior to the commander being released back to the line; this is effective immediately.
· We will develop learning modules to improve knowledge and understanding of Auto Flight Systems modes. In the interim it is vital that you not only train Automation awareness but also the understanding of the modes.
· 25% of line checks will be planned as ‘No Notice’, this will be effective from the next planned roster. If you are rostered for one of these No Notice line checks, it is important you do not make the rostered crew aware – we are trying to get better visibility over our crews’ standards and level of preparedness – a true No Notice line check will give us that.
· Safety will provide Training with a list of our most challenging destinations and where possible Line Checks will be planned to these destinations going forward.
· There will be an additional 1-week ground school introduced for all new conversion courses to enhance/refresh fundamental ATPL knowledge; date for implementation TBD.
· Starting 1 Feb 2018, Day 3 of the recurrent PPC will be separated from Day 1 and 2. This will give trainees more regular exposure throughout the year to manual flight in the simulator as well as the opportunity to practise their monitoring skills. This initiative will also address the negative feedback we have received relating to 3 x deep night duties in a row and the limited training value gained from the 3rd night.
· We will be working with a third party research team to trial ‘eye tracking’ functionality in the simulator. We will use the results of the trial in the following RTGS phase to demonstrate the effectiveness, or not, of some crews’ scanning techniques during various stages of the flight.

In conclusion, the recent spate of poorly managed events on the line is deeply disappointing. Inaction on our part was simply not an option; as a result I hope you understand why these actions are being taken. It is vital that as trainers we lead by example and we demonstrate the standards others wish to aspire to. We recognise that ‘change’ can lead to uncertainty, especially if that change is introduced quickly. Therefore, if you are faced with a situation during your training and checking sessions over the coming weeks and are unsure of what is expected of you, please call your training management team who will be happy to assist.

As always thank you for your continued support.

SVP Flight Training

A second AKL? If it goes it will be via SIN would be my guess.

mariner

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 pm

aerorobnz wrote:
In fact, if it happens at all I think EK will not operate an A380 at all to AKL just 2x 777s

Saddest news of my recent travelling life. I love flying the A380 trans-Tasman.

planemanofnz wrote:
- SYD: 4x daily (3x daily non-stop, 1x daily one-stop, via BKK) - all A380s
- MEL: 3x daily (2x daily non-stop, 1x daily one-stop, via SIN) - all A380s
- BNE: 3x daily (2x daily non-stop, 1x daily one-stop, via SIN) - one A380
- PER: 2x daily non-stop - one A380.

But any of those cities is far larger by population than Auckland - even nearly triple the size in one case.

bunumuring wrote:

I don't, I think SIN is a most unimaginative pick. If there's enough traffic AKL-DXB to support another frequency, even if only in high season, I'd rather see the stop be at somewhere interesting and unserved, such as CMB. We know that Emirates can fill aircraft DXB-CMB and apparently thinks there's enough traffic - or may be - to fill another AKL-DXB. SIN as the intermediate point has the most competition, whereas CMB would have no competition and would likely stimulate a lot of traffic on the first leg - AKL-CMB.

Although I'd prefer to see NZ on AKL-CMB. Image

mariner

NichCage

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Emirates is cutting traffic in AKL- going from three daily from BNE, SYD, and MEL, and an DXB non-stop (for four daily flights) to only one to DXB flight instead. Honestly, I wonder what the load factors are onboard DXB-AKL-DXB non-stop, if it is full or not full. I don't feel like another frequency is necessary, as it would result in overcapacity in the market.

incitatus

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
(...)
The other factors which give EK a strong platform with which to add capacity to AKL, include:

- Brand recognition, having been the only ME3 player in the market for ~15 years, and sponsoring Team New Zealand
- Continued ability to source domestic feed in New Zealand by interlining with JQ at NPE, NPL, NSN, PMR, WLG and ZQN
- Lack of interest of QF in improving Europe connections, unlike at MEL, PER and SYD, and further lack of interest of EY
- Continued strength of New Zealand's economy, with GDP and tourist arrivals both forecast to continue increasing
(...).

Besides QF's and EY's lack of interest in improving European connections, one should add NZ's lack of interest as well.

mariner

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 pm

incitatus wrote:
Besides QF's and EY's lack of interest in improving European connections, one should add NZ's lack of interest as well.

I can't speak for Etihad, but what a very odd thing to say about Qantas, which has been talking a lot recently about new routes to Europe from Perth - PER-CDG, e.g.

As for NZ, I don't think it should develop European routes right now. I think it should be concentrating, as it is, on its growth markets, in Asia/China and the Americas:

https://centreforaviation.com/news/air- ... ted-728641

"Air New Zealand: New Argentina route performing better than expected

"Our business to Argentina is going better than ever anticipated. Australians form a large portion of travellers on this route". Regarding future growth in South America, Mr Wallace commented: "At the moment our focus is frequency into Argentina, not route development"."

Europe is - and will be for some time - a one-stop from NZ and is very well covered by the partner airlines. I think Europe on its own metal is, with the possible exception of FRA, a license to lose money - and even FRA didn't work last time they tried it.

mariner

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:49 am

mariner wrote:
But any of those cities is far larger by population than Auckland - even nearly triple the size in one case.

With all due respect, that is an extremely narrow view in which to judge the potential value of a given destination to a given airline.

Population size is an important, but not decisive factor in route development - if it was, then EK would be serving MEX (via GVA, with rights) by now.

One important factor is AKL having less competition than the Australian ports, particularly without the presence of EY from AUH:

- SYD will have 8x daily flights from the ME3 (7x A380, 1x 77W)
- MEL will have 6x daily flights from the ME3 (4x A380, 1x 77W, 1x 789)
- BNE will have 4x daily flights from the ME3 (1x A380, 1x 77W, 1x 77L, 1x 789)
- PER will have 4x daily flights from the ME3 (1x A380, 2x 77W, 1x 789)
- AKL will have 2x daily flights from the ME3 (1x A380, 1x 77L)

Another factor (aside from the size of a served city), is the size of the served airport's catchment area - AKL is comparable to both BNE and PER:

- BNE - 4.6 million (Queensland)
- AKL - 3.6 million (North Island of New Zealand)
- PER - 2.6 million (Western Australia)

Other factors may include economic trends (with New Zealand's GDP growth stronger than Australia's), in addition to in-bound tourism potential (with New Zealand's international visitor arrivals (at 3.65 million) being almost 4x greater than Western Australia's (at 965,000), in the past year).

mariner wrote:
I don't, I think SIN is a most unimaginative pick. If there's enough traffic AKL-DXB to support another frequency, even if only in high season, I'd rather see the stop be at somewhere interesting and unserved, such as CMB.

IMHO:

- Airlines are not in the in the business of serving "interesting" routes - the routes need to have a business case, even if they are "a most unimaginative pick"
- The point for a stop on a second service would be because a non-stop service has insufficient demand, and O&D traffic involving the stop is likely needed

A CMB stop would be a disaster for this service for a number of reasons, such as:

- The poor quality of the CMB transit experience turning off AKL - DXB passengers (the Changi transit experience is far superior)
- O&D quality being very low, with CMB unable to sustain flights even to SYD, and AKL unable to sustain flights even to India

mariner wrote:
I can't speak for Etihad, but what a very odd thing to say about Qantas, which has been talking a lot recently about new routes to Europe

I should have been clearer - I meant that QF is not interested in developing European connections from New Zealand (and not overall) - otherwise, QF would have announced AKL - PER or AKL - SIN, to connect with its new PER - LHR or SIN - LHR services, respectively.

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:17 am

planemanofnz wrote:
mariner wrote:

With all due respect, that is an extremely narrow view in which to judge the potential value of a given destination to a given airline.

Population size is an important, but not decisive factor in route development - if it was, then EK would be serving MEX (via GVA, with rights) by now.

One important factor is AKL having less competition than the Australian ports, particularly without the presence of EY from AUH:

- SYD will have 8x daily flights from the ME3 (7x A380, 1x 77W)
- MEL will have 6x daily flights from the ME3 (4x A380, 1x 77W, 1x 789)
- BNE will have 4x daily flights from the ME3 (1x A380, 1x 77W, 1x 77L, 1x 789)
- PER will have 4x daily flights from the ME3 (1x A380, 2x 77W, 1x 789)
- AKL will have 2x daily flights from the ME3 (1x A380, 1x 77L)

Another factor (aside from the size of a served city), is the size of the served airport's catchment area - AKL is comparable to both BNE and PER:

- BNE - 4.6 million (Queensland)
- AKL - 3.6 million (North Island of New Zealand)
- PER - 2.6 million (Western Australia)

Other factors may include economic trends (with New Zealand's GDP growth stronger than Australia's), in addition to in-bound tourism potential (with New Zealand's international visitor arrivals (at 3.65 million) being almost 4x greater than Western Australia's (at 965,000), in the past year).

mariner wrote:
I don't, I think SIN is a most unimaginative pick. If there's enough traffic AKL-DXB to support another frequency, even if only in high season, I'd rather see the stop be at somewhere interesting and unserved, such as CMB.

IMHO:

- Airlines are not in the in the business of serving "interesting" routes - the routes need to have a business case, even if they are "a most unimaginative pick"
- The point for a stop on a second service would be because a non-stop service has insufficient demand, and O&D traffic involving the stop is likely needed

A CMB stop would be a disaster for this service for a number of reasons, such as:

- The poor quality of the CMB transit experience turning off AKL - DXB passengers (the Changi transit experience is far superior)
- O&D quality being very low, with CMB unable to sustain flights even to SYD, and AKL unable to sustain flights even to India

mariner wrote:
I can't speak for Etihad, but what a very odd thing to say about Qantas, which has been talking a lot recently about new routes to Europe

I should have been clearer - I meant that QF is not interested in developing European connections from New Zealand (and not overall) - otherwise, QF would have announced AKL - PER or AKL - SIN, to connect with its new PER - LHR or SIN - LHR services, respectively.

Cheers,

C.

QF are considering AKL-PER year round, EK would be more likely on AKL-SIN imo, QF will have a single daily SIN-LHR with connections from MEL/BNE, plus the SYD traffic. They won’t have trouble filling it, weather it’s profitable is another question. Otherwise fly EK via DXB plenty of European ports with them, I get DXB isn’t as nice as SIN.

As for those saying NZ to Europe, that’s why they have deals with SQ/CX to feed their hubs and services, it is right NZ aren’t interested in Europe with their own metal, nothing new here outside LHR.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 am

Next flight will be surely still an A380.

bunumuring

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:44 am

Hey guys,
Interesting discussions.
I now understand why Singapore maybe attractive to EK as a stopover on a second daily flight.
I agree that talk of a possible EK Brisbane-Wellington 'tag on' seems to have gone silent. I wonder what impact on EK's thinking is the fact that Singapore Airlines is now established in Wellington, despite it having one more 'stop' (Canberra) before reaching it's hub.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

mariner

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 am

planemanofnz wrote:

LOL - an airline I follow in the US flies to lots of quite small places, but has reasons to do that and makes big money doing it. But I'd be surprised if anyone is surprised that SYD - or MEL - gets more Emirates frequencies than AKL.

planemanofnz wrote:
Airlines are not in the in the business of serving "interesting" routes - the routes need to have a business case, even if they are "a most unimaginative pick"

Business decisions - which tend to guide me because I used to play the stock market in the US - can often be "imaginative" and "interesting" and often they're the ones that make money.

NZ's EZE was very interesting and fairly imaginative and seems to be doing well. I'd say the same about IAH, which some insist is "outside the Pacific Rim" - LOL.

I'm not aware that anyone flies non-stop AKL-India, or ever has, but I was away for forty years and may have missed it. As I see it., CMB would be a jumping-off point to India for many Kiwi tourists - and many Kiwi Indians - as SIN is now. That way, people can get one stop to pretty much the whole of India.

But clearly - and once again - you and I have very different attitudes to it all, so beyond that, I shrug.

planemanofnz wrote:

Sorry, I'm confused. The post (#20) that I replied to on this matter was not by you but by Incitatus. Image

mariner

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos