Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FoxtrotSierra
Topic Author

KL AMS-SLC discontinued?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:19 am

I was looking on DL's website recently and noticed that all AMS-SLC flights are now operated by DL, in lieu of KLM. They recently upgauged to a 787. What happened to KLM? Did they discontinue service?

Sightseer

Re: KL AMS-SLC discontinued?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:49 am

KL's service is summer seasonal. What dates were you searching for?

bradyj23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 am

Just saw KLM in SLC tonight.

jubguy3

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:38 am

This is a seasonal flight. It actually has been performing very well, with load factors of 83% in the second set of 6 months of operation. Would I be surprised if it was discontinued? Yes. I check the fares frequently because I fly to AMS all the time and they seem to be consistently... high. That's not really a tangible measurement but they're higher than many fares I've seen for other secondary cities with service to Europe.

FoxtrotSierra
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:40 am

bradyj23 wrote:
Just saw KLM in SLC tonight.

Well that's good to know. Do you happen to know specifically what day the season starts and ends, and what time it arrives/departs?

Prost

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 am

I know the second SEA-AMS ends at the end of October, so that may be the big transition date for the DL/KL joint venture.

factsonly

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 am

Airline schedules are set by the international timetable of IATA Summer and Winter seasons. Most airlines offering seasonal services adhere to these scheduling time periods.

The KLM SLC service is a Summer seasonal service and operates only in the IATA Summer season from Late March to late October.
The B789 is used for 3x weekly AMS-Colombo Sri Lanka service in Winter.

The flight will return in IATA S18 3x weekly on B789, in addition to the daily DL service.

CometOrbit

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:36 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
This is a seasonal flight. It actually has been performing very well, with load factors of 83% in the second set of 6 months of operation. Would I be surprised if it was discontinued? Yes. I check the fares frequently because I fly to AMS all the time and they seem to be consistently... high. That's not really a tangible measurement but they're higher than many fares I've seen for other secondary cities with service to Europe.

I used this flight westbound in August, and it was full (in J).
Immigration at SLC was a breeze and avoided all that queuing/baggage retrieval at ATL or JFK.
When I booked the flight, it was timed at 1250 ex AMS, but has been retimed to leave at 1705.
I would have preferred the earlier flight time (DL goes at 1000).
After many years of changing en route, it was great to fly into my favourite US city directly.

evank516

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm

KL's flight most likely ends on 10/28 with 10/29-11/4 being the transitional period between winter and summer schedules.

socko

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 pm

I think their back In march using the Dreamliner again

jubguy3

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:40 pm

CometOrbit wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

Immigration at SLC was a breeze and avoided all that queuing/baggage retrieval at ATL or JFK.
When I booked the flight, it was timed at 1250 ex AMS, but has been retimed to leave at 1705.
After many years of changing en route, it was great to fly into my favourite US city directly.

And I love using the route to fly into my favorite european city :-) KLM is a great airline and I'm glad that we have them in SLC

lavalampluva

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:59 pm

This is a seasonal flight. The 789 is going to be transferred to MSP for the winter and then back to SLC when flights resume late March next year.

jubguy3

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
This is a seasonal flight. The 789 is going to be transferred to MSP for the winter and then back to SLC when flights resume late March next year.

The particular 789 is actually being transferred to Colombo, Sri Lanka if i remember correctly

klakzky123

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:40 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

I thought it was a different 787 but I could be wrong.

Edit - someone beat me to it.

lavalampluva

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

The particular 789 is actually being transferred to Colombo, Sri Lanka if i remember correctly

Well...it just just a technicality. The last 789 out of MSP is 3/23. The first out of SLC is 3/25.

kevertje

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 pm

CometOrbit wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

I was on the SLC-AMS flight sunday 15oct but plane was almost empty. I was in row 12 but as far as I could see everyone had 3 seats.
Very nice flight with very friendly staff on the plane.
I did AMS-SFO and LAS-SLC-AMS and paid only €660
Booked sfo-las with jetblue to save €450 price increase if booked it all together with KLM/Delta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos