Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

BA has bed bugs, and who else?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:36 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41685266

I should imagine that this is a common problem on most airlines, nice that they offered an upgrade to a better class of bed bug. Head lice and other crawly stuff is out there, just like hotel rooms. How often is cabin space deep cleaning done I wonder. :confused:

MalevTU134

Re: BA has bed bugs, and who else?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

I should imagine that this is a common problem on most airlines, nice that they offered an upgrade to a better class of bed bug. Head lice and other crawly stuff is out there, just like hotel rooms. How often is cabin space deep cleaning done I wonder. :confused:

With every D-check...or when seats are changed for new ones. Which makes you scratch your head, of course...

JannEejit

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Maybe a change of fabric colouring might help...? ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36128646

zelalemon

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

With every D-check...or when seats are changed for new ones. Which makes you scratch your head, of course...

fantastic pun sir

SamYeager2016

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:37 am

Telling that BA ignored her until she posted pics of bites on twitter. Seems their customer service is still rubbish.

TLVAIR

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:55 am

That's a terrible story,but I think Airlines should maybe publish some more information about their deep cleaning cycles and general information about the cleaning methods of metal tubes we spent hours in. .The other sad part is that airlines really don't care about their customers.Their customer service departments only handle FB and twitter issues,if you write them directly,hoping for an answer or a solution ,chances are slim you get any,most times just a copy paste answer of a general apology.Why bother.

RDUDDJI

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 pm

I think people would be depressed if they saw how often airlines "deep clean" and aircraft. To be fair, even a deep cleaning likely wouldn't root out bedbugs. From what I understand about the main way to kill them is with heat.

As a road warrior, I'm constantly worried about bedbugs. Knock on wood, I haven't encountered them yet. I do try to practice good OPSEC, like keeping my bags away from the hotel beds, wash/dry clothes immediately when I get home, vacuum often, etc.

AR385

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:09 pm

In the decades I´ve spent flying on multiple airlines in multiple places I´ve never had a problem with bed bugs or lice. So this must be a rare ocurrence. I am sure airlines fumigate their aircraft when even the slightest suspicion of a problem with these critters is reported, After all, fumigation should be very effective on an ariliner since it is a hermetically sealed environment.

s4popo

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 pm

AR385 wrote:
In the decades I´ve spent flying on multiple airlines in multiple places I´ve never had a problem with bed bugs or lice. So this must be a rare ocurrence. I am sure airlines fumigate their aircraft when even the slightest suspicion of a problem with these critters is reported, After all, fumigation should be very effective on an ariliner since it is a hermetically sealed environment.

That requires a certain number of hours/days for the plane to be out of service, and that costs $$$$.

aerolimani

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Bedbugs are remarkably hard to kill. They've only been relatively absent from our world because of DDT. Since DDT was banned, they've been slowly coming back. They can live in very difficult to access spots. The little seems in the walls of an aircraft would be a good spot.

Chemicals are not particularly effective on them. Heat works well. 55°C for several hours is usually what is required, and is often done to homes and hotel rooms that have an infestation. Would it be safe to heat the interior of an aircraft like this? I imagine warming up all that plastic would leave a lingering smell.

Bongodog1964

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Unfortunately whilst there are people infected with such things, these incidents will happen. I've ended up with scabies from a Premier Inn hotel bed in Southend and flea bites from a BA flight, in both cases the person primarily to blame is the one who was carrying the infestation to start with. Neither the hotel or the airline could have reasonably done anything prior to transmission occuring.

aklrno

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 pm

aerolimani wrote:
Bedbugs are remarkably hard to kill. They've only been relatively absent from our world because of DDT. Since DDT was banned, they've been slowly coming back. They can live in very difficult to access spots. The little seems in the walls of an aircraft would be a good spot.

Chemicals are not particularly effective on them. Heat works well. 55°C for several hours is usually what is required, and is often done to homes and hotel rooms that have an infestation. Would it be safe to heat the interior of an aircraft like this? I imagine warming up all that plastic would leave a lingering smell.

If that's all it takes, the solution is easy. Park it at Mojave for a day. Problem solved.

AR385

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 pm

s4popo wrote:
AR385 wrote:

That requires a certain number of hours/days for the plane to be out of service, and that costs $$$$.

Of course but I don´t think any decent airline is going to wait until the next D check to take care of such an infestation,

ncflyer

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Boy I don't think airlines would typically make an announcement that they have bed bugs. Bed bugs happen all the time, we don't hear about it. I worked at a hospital, there was commonly rooms taken out of service so they could be fumigated. I have friends who refuse to check out books from the public library because bed bugs like books. Didn't even read the story but BA got caught, it's not their fault, doesn't mean they have bad hygiene, it means they deal with people, just like so many others.

Wacker1000

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:46 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

What do they do if the aircraft never had a D-Check?

aerolimani

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 pm

aklrno wrote:
aerolimani wrote:

If that's all it takes, the solution is easy. Park it at Mojave for a day. Problem solved.

That's actually not a terrible idea. As long as it sits long enough for the heat to penetrate the upholstery. Pest control people force hot air into upholstery and mattresses to ensure penetration.

Whywhyjay

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:01 pm

According to this CBC article on this incident, the bugs were most likely brought on board in hand luggage, as luggage is the usual way these bugs are moved from place to place. This has also been a problem at some hotels / motels in the Vancouver area for a while now, a colleague of mine got bitten up pretty badly at a well rated place in town. Another good reason to ban carry on luggage altogether?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4363560

MalevTU134

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Wacker1000 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

What do they do if the aircraft never had a D-Check?

If it's BA: Stiff upper lip, old boy.

smi0006

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:04 am

For countries that require quarantine sprays at top of decent, or residual sprays done during maintenance- eg NZ and Australia, do these sprays and the residual treatments not kill them?

MalevTU134

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:28 am

smi0006 wrote:
For countries that require quarantine sprays at top of decent, or residual sprays done during maintenance- eg NZ and Australia, do these sprays and the residual treatments not kill them?

Those sprays have the effect of holy water. They cannot possibly reach and penetrate even a small portion of all the crevices, tears, folds and what have you in the fabric, leather, plastic and other materials onboard.

smi0006

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Those sprays have the effect of holy water. They cannot possibly reach and penetrate even a small portion of all the crevices, tears, folds and what have you in the fabric, leather, plastic and other materials onboard.

True - how about the residual treatments don’t to all surfaces? How effective are they?

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:15 am

Over the years I've seen enough write-ups for rats and roaches I'm no longer shocked to see the entries. Mainline aircraft.

aklrno

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:10 am

aerolimani wrote:
aklrno wrote:
aerolimani wrote:

That's actually not a terrible idea. As long as it sits long enough for the heat to penetrate the upholstery. Pest control people force hot air into upholstery and mattresses to ensure penetration.

It really won’t take long. I’ve stopped for lunch in Death Valley for no more than an hour and then had to open the car doors for a while to let the car cool to ambient temperature. Ambient was 50C.

VC10er

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:35 pm

I recall when Landor did a interiors project for AA at the time when AA had sheepskin fur seat covers in domestic First. Anyone recall those? AA had told Landor that they had to get rid of those sheepskin covers (even though fliers loved the comfort) due to the fact they were all infested with every bug on earth, and a bacterial nightmare.
A friend of mine got bed bugs from a decent hotel in Amsterdam and she brought them home via her luggage. It took 3 major visits from exterminators using ice cold blasting and other fumigation bombs. It is total hell without DDT and it’s nobody’s fault other than Mother Nature’s. I don’t even want to think about it because it could happen to you on ANY airline- it just takes one previous infested passenger to infest a First Class seat on a luxury airline or regular people mover airline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos