Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qantas59
Topic Author

SFO Flying Tigers hangar circa '70?

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Came across this SFO photo on the data base. Can anyone remark on the Flying Tigers hangar history? From a distance it looks similar to today's UA hangar. Was it renamed at some point?
I realize that this photo is almost 50 years old, however the overall airport layout looks very unfamiliar to me - including the fuel storage facilities.
Thanks for any replies.
Cheers.

vhtje

Re: SFO Flying Tigers hangar circa '70?

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:26 pm

No idea but this website has a couple of closer images of what appears to be the same hangar, some with the Flying Tiger name on it, and at least one without.

http://aflyinghistory.com/search-aeropl ... 707&page=5

Tomassjc

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:50 pm

I believe that hanger was either incorporated into the United maintenance base, or torn down when the base was expanded in the 70s. The small double arched roof hanger across from it still exists today as part of the UA base. A few of those Shell Oil storage tanks still stand just behind what is now the South City Costco. Also looks like construction of the 380/101 interchange was underway by the mound of dirt.

N626AA

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Very unfamiliar with SFO and aware Google maps can be flawed but I Google mapped the airport anyway and it looks like this pic angle was taken from the East end of the terminal area and facing N-NW if those white fuel storange tanks are the same ones in existence now on Google maps. Also the small mountain range in the photo looks to be where a similar range of size is on the maps and the thin body of water between the 727 and hangar looks to be where one is protruding into the airport on the north side. The flying tigers hangar looks like it would be right about where an AA cargo facility is labeled. Could be the same building or the flying tigers one was demolished some time during the 50 years and the facility on maps is a new.

Always intrigued by airport history myself so any of you SFO locals or others familiar with the subject and airport please correct me if wrong.

timz

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:29 pm

The hangar is at the bottom of this pic

http://www.flysfo.com/museum/aviation-m ... tion/15972

Closer view (when it was a Pan Am hangar?)

http://www.flysfo.com/museum/aviation-m ... tion/14966

Dunno what the background dirtpile is-- I-380 was built later. The double-arch tan bldg in the 727 pic doesn't exist now.

910A

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:43 pm

According to my brother who worked in emergency preparedness at SFO, the city (San Francisco) purchased the hanger and they ended up storing some emergency equipment inside and set it up for a mortuary in case of a disaster at SFO. He left in 1983.

timz

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:03 pm

It seems Pan Am built their south-side hangar in 1963

http://www.flysfo.com/museum/aviation-m ... tion/15325

so Flying Tigers took over Pan Am's old hangar?

strfyr51

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Tomassjc wrote:
I believe that hanger was either incorporated into the United maintenance base, or torn down when the base was expanded in the 70s. The small double arched roof hanger across from it still exists today as part of the UA base. A few of those Shell Oil storage tanks still stand just behind what is now the South City Costco. Also looks like construction of the 380/101 interchange was underway by the mound of dirt.

the Flying Tiger hangar was torn down and a new Cargo facility was buit in it's place the 2 quonset hut hangars you refer to are B29N and B29S
They are National historic monuments and United Can't tear them down even if they wanted to..
United did B29 mods in them during WW2. I had a lead that working there when I got hired in 1984 that was a lead in 1942 and couldn't leave United to go to war because he worked on the B29 program.
He had close to 50 years seniority as was just getting close to retirement age because he came to work at United right out of High school as a Mechanic's Helper, Got his License at 19 and was lead at 20 and he'd been a Lead mechanic longer that I'd been Living and I was born in 1951.
Al was a great guy and a wealth of knowledge. And? a KILLER Sheetmetal Mechanic!
He could layup sheetmetal repairs and call an engineer to tell him what needed approval per the 45-9 and 45-13.

timz

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:44 pm

The pair of tan quonset huts, beyond "United" on the 727's fuselage, looks to still be east of the PA/FT hangar on the 1968 and 1980 pics at historicaerials.com-- probably not on any later one. Certainly not there now. Where are the B29S-B29N monument quonsets in United's area?

(Maybe B29N-B29S are the ones at 37.63415N 122.39344W? Those aren't in the 727 pic.)

The tan quonsets show up best in the 1956 pic at historicaerials.com-- they were about 37.6364N 122.38644W, based on the concrete flying-boat ramp that's still there just south of them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos