phbfa
Topic Author

LATAM Brasil eyes LIS and BOS in 2018

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 pm

According to the Brazilian media, after announcing its flights to FCO, JJ eyes to begin services to LIS and BOS by mid 2018 from GRU. It will be the first time TP faces competition in the LIS-GRU sector since the demise of RG and the first time ever a Brazilian airline serves BOS.

Link to the original article:
http://www.mercadoeeventos.com.br/notic ... n-em-2018/
Faire le ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre est impossible sans le Concorde.

marcoantona

Re: LATAM Brasil eyes LIS and BOS in 2018

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 pm

It was about time for LIS. I guess the low yielding of the route didn't tempt JJ before.
I believe TAM did fly during some time to LIS before. Am I wrong?

EddieDude

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:41 pm

GRU-BOS on JJ is a bit surprising, but of course very welcome news. Congrats to JJ and BOS!
Upcoming AM MEX-LAX 73H, VA LAX-MEL 77W.

Rafabozzolla

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:15 pm

As far as I remember, no, JJ has never operated into LIS. Do you guys think the upcoming FCO flight is already a nail´s on AZ´s potentilal coffin?

clrd4t8koff

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Honestly it's about time someone launched BOS-Brazil. With CM going 2x daily next year and AV doing very well on BOS-BOG it only was a matter of time. A 787 would be a perfect aircraft for GRU-BOS!

airbazar

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:02 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Honestly it's about time someone launched BOS-Brazil. With CM going 2x daily next year and AV doing very well on BOS-BOG it only was a matter of time. A 787 would be a perfect aircraft for GRU-BOS!

This one will be interesting to follow. It's a looong route for what is believed to be a low yield market.

adamh8297

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:21 pm

airbazar wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

This one will be interesting to follow. It's a looong route for what is believed to be a low yield market.

Well CNF is low yield that's the VFR... GRU may be a different story but its not that big.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

incitatus

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Nothing is suggesting GRU-BOS will be nonstop. LATAM could hedge its bets by coordinating schedules from SCL, LIM and GRU at JFK and running JFK-BOS with a plane that would be parked at JFK otherwise. Not a great schedule, but the possibility of feeding from the three flights may be attractive.

I think GRU-BOS nonstop will struggle off-season. There is a Brazilian community and a large number of Brazilian students in Boston. Not the best customers for year-round service. JJ/LA might go for a mix where the tag is run from JFK off-season, and a GRU-BOS nonstop is run peak season.

On LIS, what took them so freaking long? Even with the huge TAP network in Brazil, JJ should be flying to LIS. It is a question of network completeness, not of whether they make money in that route.
Conservatives against Trump

prchan

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:03 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Considering it is JJ eyeing BOS, the equipment would probably be a 763. LA and JJ still have separate fleets, and no 787 in Brazil.

SCQ83

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:09 pm

I think BOS will work well.

BOS has been long underestimated in this forum from 6 years ago when JAL started NRT... the rest is history.

GRU could also connect to Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay or Bolivia well, and to the rest of Brazil.

geoshina

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 pm

At last. it was about time for Latam to move around.

iyerhari

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 pm

BOS to GRU is confirmed

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news ... -next.html

Wiki page for Logan is also updated with Summer 2018 start. I would say WOW!! Logan continues to attract new airlines every year and us gradually becoming a OO hub.

330west

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

incitatus wrote:
I think GRU-BOS nonstop will struggle off-season. There is a Brazilian community and a large number of Brazilian students in Boston. Not the best customers for year-round service. JJ/LA might go for a mix where the tag is run from JFK off-season, and a GRU-BOS nonstop is run peak season.

There's a bit more to Boston than just its colleges. It's without question one of the most economically diverse and powerful cities in North America.
Always fly first class, otherwise your heirs will.

gatibosgru

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 pm

All I've ever wanted in life was a BOS-GRU flight (hence my username). But I think any aircraft they bring would be too much. I guess maybe a 763 could do it?
@DadCelo

adamh8297

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
All I've ever wanted in life was a BOS-GRU flight (hence my username). But I think any aircraft they bring would be too much. I guess maybe a 763 could do it?

My guess is 4 weekly 767. That's only 92000 seats a year.

Add in AA frequent flier base, B6 interline, connections to deep South America, and cheap fuel.... It seems doable.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

gatibosgru

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:

My guess is 4 weekly 767. That's only 92000 seats a year.

Add in AA frequent flier base, B6 interline, connections to deep South America, and cheap fuel.... It seems doable.

My guess is it would be about 4x week as well. Do JJ's 763s have F or is it just J/Y?
@DadCelo

dcajet

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Just J/Y.

All these new JJ flights are made possible by the exodus of surplus 767s from LATAM's Chilean franchise that are finding their way to the Brazilian franchise. LATAM Chile is now an all 787 and A320 family operator on its pax services.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

C010T3

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 pm

dcajet wrote:
Just J/Y.

All these new JJ flights are made possible by the exodus of surplus 767s from LATAM's Chilean franchise that are finding their way to the Brazilian franchise. LATAM Chile is now an all 787 and A320 family operator on its pax services.

All flights would have been possible with the 332 fleet.

EddieDude

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 pm

incitatus wrote:
Nothing is suggesting GRU-BOS will be nonstop. LATAM could hedge its bets by coordinating schedules from SCL, LIM and GRU at JFK and running JFK-BOS with a plane that would be parked at JFK otherwise. Not a great schedule, but the possibility of feeding from the three flights may be attractive.

I would not expect that. LATAM (LANChile) tried SCL-JFK-YYZ with traffic rights between JFK and YYZ. It did not last. In this case, there would be no traffic rights, just hauling South America-originating pax from JFK to BOS, kind of what QF does between LAX and JFK. If this were the case, JJ would be much better off feeding those passengers to AA at JFK or MIA. This is most likely a nonstop route.
Upcoming AM MEX-LAX 73H, VA LAX-MEL 77W.

CHI2DFW

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:48 pm

The BOS roll shows no end in sight! Congratulations BOS and keep it going! We envy what you’re doing!

dcajet

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:58 pm

C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Just J/Y.h

Indeed. But they are gone and the reason those 332s are gone is that LATAM had these almost brand new 767s available, so why keep two similar fleets operational? Made no sense and with the bonus that the passenger experience on the LATAM 767s is streets ahead of the one that the ex TAM 332s offered. They were quite the motley crew fleet, with different engines, interiors, F cabins no longer sold as such, etc.

C010T3

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 pm

dcajet wrote:
C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Just J/Y.h

Indeed. But they are gone and the reason those 332s are gone is that LATAM had these almost brand new 767s available, so why keep two similar fleets operational? Made no sense and with the bonus that the passenger experience on the LATAM 767s is streets ahead of the one that the ex TAM 332s offered. They were quite the motley crew fleet, with different engines, interiors, F cabins no longer sold as such, etc.

LAN was the one that ordered more frames they it could chew and had to buy another carrier, so that it could have a where to place them.

You made it seem like TAM did not have a large enough widebody fleet to fly all these frequencies. It's funny, because the widebody fleet size at LATAM Brazil is nothing but stagnant since the merger.

What has changed at LATAM Brazil? Do you consider 763+77W+359 to be less similar than 77W+332?

I'm really happy that JJ is now starting GRU-FCO, GRU-LIS and GRU-BOS, but they were all already possible back when GIG-LHR, GIG-FRA and GIG-CDG were axed.

dcajet

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:34 pm

C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
C010T3 wrote:

LAN was the one that ordered more frames they it could chew and had to buy another carrier, so that it could have a where to place them.

You made it seem like TAM did not have a large enough widebody fleet to fly all these frequencies. It's funny, because the widebody fleet size at LATAM Brazil is nothing but stagnant since the merger.

What has changed at LATAM Brazil? Do you consider 763+77W+359 to be less similar than 77W+332?

I'm really happy that JJ is now starting GRU-FCO, GRU-LIS and GRU-BOS, but they were all already possible back when GIG-LHR, GIG-FRA and GIG-CDG were axed.

Listen, while I respect your opinion, it seems you harbor some negative feelings towards the LAN takeover of TAM. Not to be arrogant, but that is ancient history. Time to move on.

JJ777

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:01 am

I'm surprised (and pleased) that LATAM will finally do GRU-LIS. This is a route that has solid O&D traffic and I expect JJ will make a profit from it. TAP/Azul will finally have a run for their money here. In fact, perhaps it was Azul flying to LIS that prompted a reaction from LATAM.

As for BOS, a bold move IMO. I'm pleased to see LATAM is finally using a more aggressive strategy to benefit from the potential of the Brazilian market.

ahj2000

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 am

Great! BOS is a surprise but on a thread I started about the lack of Lisboa flights, the consensus was that LIS was a high probability add
-Andrés Juánez

C010T3

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:13 am

dcajet wrote:
Listen, while I respect your opinion, it seems you harbor some negative feelings towards the LAN takeover of TAM. Not to be arrogant, but that is ancient history. Time to move on.

No, I do not harbor any negative feelings towards the takeover. I even thought it would be a good thing, but LAN's management did not have much of a clue what to do after all. They're improving, but the Chilean cacoethes are just too strong to leave behind so quickly.

The issue I do have is with the fact that you insistently try to paint the situation in which LAN was the saviour.... only LAN this and that.

You're the one that should move on. The thread is not about LATAM Chile or even LAN.

incitatus

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 am

dcajet wrote:

Some of us perceive the LAN takeover of TAM as a bad deal - ancient history or not. That is an objective discussion that may deserve its own thread. These latest announcements are encouraging and sound like LAN has at least concluded GRU has some unrealized potential. Trading A330s by 767s seems a bit a trade down, even if the 767s are newer - so the small capacity narrow body with 767s for TAM and 787s for LAN still seem like TAM got the short end of the stick.

Jomar777

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 am

incitatus wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Some of us perceive the LAN takeover of TAM as a bad deal - ancient history or not. That is an objective discussion that may deserve its own thread. These latest announcements are encouraging and sound like LAN has at least concluded GRU has some unrealized potential. Trading A330s by 767s seems a bit a trade down, even if the 767s are newer - so the small capacity narrow body with 767s for TAM and 787s for LAN still seem like TAM got the short end of the stick.

Takeover apart (which I feel it was good for both since LAN and TAM actually complement each other), this is great news. GRU has always been high on LATAM's plans because of its size, potential and location in South America. LIS will probably get an A350 with BOS getting a 767. Not bad at all since the 767s are quite new compared to the ancient A330-200 which TAM had (they did buy those new ages ago so it was time to replace them and why not use good 767s that would be simply wasted elsewhere?). There will be no 787 since these are LATAM Brazil's flights.

I do not buy the idea that BOS might suffer since LATAM will feed the service from Chile and any other LATAM areas (Paraguay, Argentina, rest of Brazil, etc.). LIS will certainly be highly welcome towards pushing also TAP to offer something more decent than the dribble they offer right now for a more competitive price. It may even make for cheaper journeys to the UK for example by opening a new Oneworld connection hub in LIS rather than relying on basically only MAD and, sometimes, BCN.

Great move!

As for TAM getting the end of the stick with the 767s, I totally disagree! If those were run down old aircrafts, I would agree but what LAN has sent was actually very good nearly new aircraft with loads of life still to replace ageing tired A332-200 which had already left their best days behind. Why spend money to buy new frames if you have those B763s lying around? I actually think they came up much better off since the B763 will add a lot of flexibility into their network.

Apart from their rebranding (and chosen name - which is kind of rubbish from a Brazilian/Spanish Perspective), they seem to be doing great and taking quite good decisions into their fufutre

incitatus

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Jomar777 wrote:

As for TAM getting the end of the stick with the 767s, I totally disagree! If those were run down old aircrafts, I would agree but what LAN has sent was actually very good nearly new aircraft with loads of life still to replace ageing tired A332-200 which had already left their best days behind. Why spend money to buy new frames if you have those B763s lying around? I actually think they came up much better off since the B763 will add a lot of flexibility into their network.

Apart from their rebranding (and chosen name - which is kind of rubbish from a Brazilian/Spanish Perspective), they seem to be doing great and taking quite good decisions into their fufutre

LAN has plenty of 787s. Instead of passing along the brand-new 1980's technology aircraft to TAM, it could have passed along the 2000's technology 787s. Sao Paulo is one of the 20 largest metropolitan economies in the world. GRU is much more competitive than SCL. GRU should be LATAM's highest priority.

AASAP777

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:59 pm

I've always thought that JJ inherited RG's route to Lisboa. Anyways, it's great that they offer some competition to TP.
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.

gatibosgru

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:02 pm

incitatus wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:

LAN has plenty of 787s. Instead of passing along the brand-new 1980's technology aircraft to TAM, it could have passed along the 2000's technology 787s. Sao Paulo is one of the 20 largest metropolitan economies in the world. GRU is much more competitive than SCL. GRU should be LATAM's highest priority.

Minus bragging rights of being on a ~*new*~ plane, give me a 2-3-2 767-300ER any day versus the tight 3-3-3 of a 787-9. Being inside a LA 763 you would never even know this is 80's technology. 99% of PAX won't care, and this does not mean that Brazil/GRU gets sloppy seconds (after all, there are some new, shiny A350s flying daily from GRU).
Last edited by gatibosgru on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DadCelo

toxtethogrady

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:02 pm

EddieDude wrote:
GRU-BOS on JJ is a bit surprising

Or perhaps not. Big Portuguese market in New England. It's the reason the Cape Verde airlines are there.

gatibosgru

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:
EddieDude wrote:

Or perhaps not. Big Portuguese market in New England. It's the reason the Cape Verde airlines are there.

Also, about 60,000 Brazilians live in Mass. Not the highest yielding crowd, but definitely enough to fill a 763.
@DadCelo

thgsr08

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:47 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
incitatus wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:

Minus bragging rights of being on a ~*new*~ plane, give me a 2-3-2 767-300ER any day versus the tight 3-3-3 of a 787-9. Being inside a LA 763 you would never even know this is 80's technology. 99% of PAX won't care, and this does not mean that Brazil/GRU gets sloppy seconds (after all, there are some new, shiny A350s flying daily from GRU).

Best wide body to fly on Y class. Wouldn't Change for the 787.
:checkeredflag:

airbazar

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:36 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:
EddieDude wrote:

There is really no relevance between the Portuguese and Cape Verdean populations in New England, and LATAM flying to BOS. Those are completely separate markets.
TACV was in BOS for many years and is now in PVD, but they are here because there is a huge Cape Verdean community in and around Boston. It has nothing to do with either the Portuguese or Brazilian markets.

AF086

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:27 pm

LATAM opened its GRUBOS flights for booking as follows:

EFF 01JUL18

JJ8164 - GRU 23h55 - 09h10 BOS - 763 - _34_6_D
JJ8165 - BOS 18h05 - 05h25 GRU - 763 - 2_45_S_
Please insert a "smart" joke here.

mikegigs

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:34 pm

AF086 wrote:

EFF 01JUL18

Nice! Not a bad schedule. Glad it's direct and the frequency seems about right. Got a source for this?
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a looong way to go!

2travel2know2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 am

AF086 wrote:

EFF 01JUL18

That's a good schedule and for low season could even go to thrice weekly instead of making it seasonal then it frees one of the 2 wide body needed to fly the route.
Among others, that flight will be attractive for those in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay looking to avoid CM twice daily B737 to BOS and still wishing to arrive international in BOS.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

LH423

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:49 am

mikegigs wrote:
AF086 wrote:

EFF 01JUL18

Nice! Not a bad schedule. Glad it's direct and the frequency seems about right. Got a source for this?

The flights are open for sale on LATAM's site. So that's a pretty good source. I took a screen shot of a fake itinerary I just made but it's 02:40am and I'm lacking the motivation to post it but I can verify that at this moment in time flights are on sale.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

thgsr08

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 am

Waiting for LIS & TLV approval!
:checkeredflag:

VS4ever

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:06 pm

0910 arrival is fantastic for those folks, Terminal E is very quiet at that point of the day so getting through there will be a relative breeze. 1805 departure definitely works for gate availability, so in terms of scheduling could not be much better. 9 hours on the ground seems a lot, they could have done a 2 hour turn and got back to GRU at say 10pm, but I guess if you want the red eye and the connections 525am arrival works better. Good stuff can’t wait to see how this one does.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!

adamh8297

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 pm

VS4ever wrote:
0910 arrival is fantastic for those folks, Terminal E is very quiet at that point of the day so getting through there will be a relative breeze. 1805 departure definitely works for gate availability, so in terms of scheduling could not be much better. 9 hours on the ground seems a lot, they could have done a 2 hour turn and got back to GRU at say 10pm, but I guess if you want the red eye and the connections 525am arrival works better. Good stuff can’t wait to see how this one does.

A lot of USA-Brazil flights tend to have long times on the ground and its usually at GRU for the US3.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos