LAXintl
Topic Author

Malaysia Airlines mulls sale to another airline

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:05 am

I suspect MAS financial performance is still lagging plan (CEO says FY17 will also be loss-making) which likely makes dumping entire carrier on the stock market less appealing to its current owner Khazanah Nasional to recoup its investment. Direct equity investment by another airline could reduce the listing pressure.

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines Bhd is exploring the option of having another airline on board by selling a strategic stake in the national carrier, among other measures, before its listing exercise that is slated to take place in 2019, according to its chief executive officer (CEO) Peter Bellew.

“Listing is one route. It could also be that we are more inclined to do deal with another carrier, do a more detailed partnership with another carrier — a trade investment, but we should be listable by 2019, and I expect we will list, but it’s not the only route that we may take.

“It’s the trend these days; that’s what’s happening. Other airlines, they take a portion of somebody else, get really close [working] together … what it does is it generally lifts overall value, and you have other commercial operation opportunities, maybe you can have joint purchasing, maybe you cooperate on aircraft, you have the same product line, that’s the trend where the industry is going, and it makes a lot of sense.

Malaysia Airlines mulls stake sale to another carrier
http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/m ... er-carrier

=

Guess Etihad is not in the buying mood these days.....
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Antarius

Re: Malaysia Airlines mulls sale to another airline

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:07 am

Guess Etihad is not in the buying mood these days.....

Loooool.

Given EY's track record, that would be the fastest way to bankruptcy!
2017 :SIN |HKG |LAX |DFW |HOU |IAH |MAF |LBB |DCA |IAD |ORD |BOS |DEN |LHR |MAD |HNL |ITO |OGG |PHX |DOH |JHB |KUL |DEL |BLR |CDG |ORY |NRT |CGK |BTH |ICN |INV |ABZ |LCY |LTN |SFO |PHL |SJC |SLC |MIA |TPA |PBI |CLT |FLL |CUN

aemoreira1981

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:22 am

I would not be surprised if Tony Fernandes would be interested, where he would have MH be the full-service airline with the jewel destinations and AirAsia with a more diverse network, with synergy between the two.

flee

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:40 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I would not be surprised if Tony Fernandes would be interested, where he would have MH be the full-service airline with the jewel destinations and AirAsia with a more diverse network, with synergy between the two.

Although anything is possible, Airasia is an unlikely candidate. They had a disastrous share swap several years ago and it did not work out!

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 am

flee wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Although anything is possible, Airasia is an unlikely candidate. They had a disastrous share swap several years ago and it did not work out!

Fernandes got MH to sponsor his football team, removed the barriers for D7 to enter SYD (and in the process screwing MH's plans to introduce the A380 to SYD) and managed to siphon MH's HND slot as well.

It worked out - for him.

As for the stake sale, I wonder if Singapore Airlines is interested...
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

mercure1

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:32 am

Delta in US certainly seems active in buying into airlines. Maybe a combined deal with AFKL for a share of MH?

huaiwei

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:06 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

That is the ultimate landmine in every aspect. :D
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

scotron11

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:13 am

MH is owned by a government investment fund. SQ is also owned by their government investment fund, Temasek Holdings. So no, I do not see SQ being interested in MH.

masA380

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
flee wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Fernandes got MH to sponsor his football team, removed the barriers for D7 to enter SYD (and in the process screwing MH's plans to introduce the A380 to SYD) and managed to siphon MH's HND slot as well.

It worked out - for him.

If you can't beat them, join them then.

juliuswong

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:02 am

masA380 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
flee wrote:

It worked out - for him.

If you can't beat them, join them then.

I don't think so, Malaysians and Singaporeans' way of management is totally different. One is based on your political connection or skin colour, the other is based on meritocracy. When previous MSA split up, both "swore" to be enemies for rest of their existence. MH will not benefit at all, SQ would likely to siphon off more traffic from KUL hub to feed the bigger hub: SIN.

juliuswong

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:05 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
flee wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

It worked out - for him.

Don't forget the RM100million penalty served by Malaysia Competition Commission for both MH and AK. MH-AK marriage is dodo bird, it will never happen again!

Arion640

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 am

Qantas in the buying mood these days, a close by OW partner.
319 320 321 346 388 733 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 E175 E195 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

jani13

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:40 am

Qantas makes the most sense, and a deal was imminent years ago. Who remembers all that drama?

oldannyboy

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 am

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Qantas. It would make sense for both, they could create some useful synergies, coordinate schedules and aircraft acquisition and maintenance.

vhtje

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 am

I cannot see QF being the buyer. I can see QR being interested - they seem to want to buy into all their oneworld partners, with stakes in IAG (BA/IB), LATAM, and, of course, the failure to purchase a stake in AA.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

smi0006

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 am

jani13 wrote:
Qantas makes the most sense, and a deal was imminent years ago. Who remembers all that drama?

Agreed - Qantas and Emirates would be good co owners. Deep pockets and turn around expertise. A good central south East Asian hub for both.

Perhaps a Chinese carrier? CZ or MU? Or have recent incidents tarnished MH brand too much in China?

jani13

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am

QR is a bit unrealistic considering the Middle Eastern drama, whereby Malaysia does not want to side with anyone (publicly).

Malaysia's image in China actually has rebounded, considering PM Najib's megadeals with China firms lately. Would not discount such a deal, though personally I don't see much synergy between China and Malaysia carriers.

parapente

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Off topic but I always though that the natural airline for Emirates to buy into (assuming they wanted to buy anything) would be another troubled airline Cathay.The geography would be good if nothing else.

Polot

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Delta in US certainly seems active in buying into airlines. Maybe a combined deal with AFKL for a share of MH?

DL gets nothing out of investing in MH. They don't fly to Malaysia, MH doesn't fly to the US, and that scenario does not look like it will change anytime soon.

bunumuring

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Hey guys,
I bet Qantas would be interested.... Even as a partner in a joint-venture bid for Malaysian Airlines. I would imagine that all three ME Giants would at least look at Malaysian, as would possibly Delta and overs.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

NZ321

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 pm

QR would be my bet.

anstar

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:03 pm

MH seems to be in decline by cutting services and annoying their passengers... so seems a better fit for IAG :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

flee

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:06 pm

A few months ago, the CEO was gushing about prospects in China. MAB will go a long way in China if it had a Chinese airline as its partner/shareholder.

Whalejet

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Emirates and Qantas would gain a lot by having a partner in SE Asia. Both of them have the money to pull it off as well-could see a co ownership.

travelnstuff

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 pm

An HNA Group investment wouldn't surprise me.

edibletomb

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm

A purchase by QR seemed unlikely now given the current crisis that's been drastically cutting QR's little remaining profit. An QR purchase of MH would be impossible without massive interventions by the Government of the State of Qatar itself, which would attract international attention to the already embattled State. SQ has been constantly losing money too. Other OW partners in Asia is CX but CX wouldn't be interested whatsoever (except maybe for MH's A380s to alleviate stress at HKG). I wouldn't rule out MH buyout by AirAsia if things got worse, since this marriage is one with seemingly the best outcome: retainment of an important, iconic Malaysian asset by Malaysians and not by foreign companies, MH's access to AirAsia's funds and planes, also access to AirAsia's route network. This would mean a scaling down of AirAsia X's international expansion however, as most of their operations would ideally be transferred to MH.