Delta777Jet
Topic Author

Why is easyJet scared of Ryanair so much and whats the strategy?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:20 pm

I am a fellow easyJet fan and using them whenever I can. But having flown Ryanair (by accident) and Norwegian lately I have to say
that I don't really understand easyJet's strategy any longer.

Whenever Ryanair is coming to a base it seems they run away like a chicken closing bases like Madrid, Rome, Hamburg , East Midlands etc. and
ending services to key routes like Berlin - Brussels / Rome / Madrid.

Their service is getting worse over the last years with delays and running down interiors on their A-319's , usually lacking on fresh food options
and offering products on board with caters to the british market rather then the european market. Norwegian slightly more expensive inflight service
is way better and they are not charging 6 Euros for a can of beer either.
Also they marketing Generation EasyJet but not even offering wifi at all, which US Airlines are offering for some 10 years now.

How does easyJet wants to be better than Ryanair when their are offering an even or worse product than Ryanair which are usually offering cheaper
fights than easyJet.

Any thoughts on easyJets current service , direction and position ?
B-717/722/737-200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/B-747-100/200/400/SP/8i/B-752/3/B-762/3/4/B-772/LR/300ER/B-788/DC-10-10/30/L-1011-1/500/MD-81/82/83/90/A-319/320/321/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/TU154/IL-18/ATR-42/72/DH4/DH3/E145/E170/190/CR2/7/9

anstar

Re: Why is easyJet scared of Ryanair so much and whats the strategy?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Easyjet have a strategy that they want to be either #1 at a base or #2 against a weak legacy carrier. With Madrid I believe they pulled out due to labour issues and FCO I believe the pulled out after Vueling set up and the Terminal fire which caused havoc on operations.

Re wifi - not many EU airlines offer this... but I have heard EZY will be offering a streamed IFE content service much like what I believe AA and QF are doing starting with EZY swiss in the next couple of months.

Their A319's are all laving the fleet to be replaced with 320's and 321's. As for delays I guess all carriers in Europe have them especially as more and more gets cut and the airspace is ever more crowded. Lets not forget Ryanair are also not faultless... how many flights have they had to cancel and how many pax have been disrupted with their rostering stuff up? Also Im not sure how much longer they'll be able to have pilots on freelance contracts paying for their own hotels etc etc...

parapente

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 pm

???? Ryanair have been following EasyJet.Ie being nice to their customers.But they forgot that this should also include their staff.
They have a problem you see.MOL doesn't understand the word nice.

NichCage

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 pm

I don't know if it's because of Ryanair or just routes performing badly, but at some airport there cutting routes right after Ryanair comes in. EasyJet is cutting 15 routes from Hamburg, and also getting rid of the base there I believe. Ryanair is no doubt an aggressive competitor who can destroy the competition and be on top. While not related to this, Ryanair will have 38 routes at Frankfurt after they are all launched by March 2018. Pretty fast expansion by Ryanair at Frankfurt in an short amount of time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos