DanDun
Topic Author

Rumor: AA to Co-locate all flights to Terminal B in LGA in Nov 2017

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 am

Was talking to an AA gate agent in LGA, she said American would be moving All flights to Terminal B in LGA by mid-November of 2017.

Delta will depart from Terminal A and take over all of Terminal C

Alaska/Virgin American, Frontier and JetBlue will move to Terminal A( the Marine Air Terminal)

Does anyone know if this information is correct. Other than LGA are there any other airports where L-AA and L-US are still in separate terminals?

ahj2000

Re: Rumor: AA to Co-locate all flights to Terminal B in LGA in Nov 2017

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 pm

A) does the MAT have space for all of them?
B) Even if they move, can b take all of AA’a flights?
C) Would a new AC come out of this?
-Andrés Juánez

727LOVER

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:36 pm

DanDun wrote:
Was talking to an AA gate agent in LGA, she said American would be moving All flights to Terminal B in LGA by mid-November of 2017.

Alaska/Virgin American, Frontier and JetBlue will move to Terminal A( the Marine Air Terminal)

Does anyone know if this information is correct. Other than LGA are there any other airports where L-AA and L-US are still in separate terminals?

Sorry....can you speak in old-timer terms? :lol: :old:

I know it as
MAT
CTB
USAir terminal
Delta terminal

....so I have no idea what you said :confused:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

aemoreira1981

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 pm

So who will be left at the Marine Air Terminal? It's a designated NYC landmark and won't be torn down, but what will be its function next?

tphuang

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:04 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
B) Even if they move, can b take all of AA’a flights?
C) Would a new AC come out of this?

Mat has 6 gates for 3 carriers with 24 slot pairs. I think each gate should have no problem with 4 daily flights. Maybe JetBlue thinks it can somehow get more slots, who knows.

I am more curious about aa to ctb, since that is going to get seriously crowded now with all of ua wn ac and nk flights also. Especially since aa will also be running all of its shuttle there now.

What do you mean by new ac?

kbmiflyer

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:24 pm

DanDun wrote:
Other than LGA are there any other airports where L-AA and L-US are still in separate terminals?

ATL comes to mind, where L-AA is still in terminal T and L-US is in terminal D.

Technically, - the old US Air gates in terminal E at DFW are still being used by American Eagle, and they are pretty far removed from the rest of the AA Hub in A,B,C, and D.

It seems like B isn't big enough to handle all of L-AA and L-US?

jfklganyc

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Almost correct!

B6 and AS to MAT.

Delta to C/D

AA to Central Terminal

Mid November. I heard 11/12.

It has been in the works for a year.

evank516

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm

727LOVER wrote:
DanDun wrote:

Sorry....can you speak in old-timer terms? :lol: :old:

I know it as
MAT
CTB
USAir terminal
Delta terminal

....so I have no idea what you said :confused:

HAHA!!

MAT self explanatory.

Terminal C-USAir
Terminal B-CTB

I'm bilingual when it comes to LGA terminal talk. :lol:

On the other hand, is the move a good idea with all of this construction going on?

AMALH747430

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:26 pm

DanDun wrote:

AA is split up in San Antonio. They have the 3 LAA gates in Terminal B (B2, B4, & B6) and the LUS gates in Terminal A (A15 & A17). The terminals at SAT are not connected beyond the security checkpoint. At one point A15 was used only for CLT & PHX flights. That doesn't appear to be the case any longer. Today AA has flights to DFW, CLT, LAX, and ORD scheduled out of the B gates, and flights to MIA, PHX, ORD, and LAX scheduled out of the A gates.

I do not believe there is room for AA to consolidate in either terminal.

bpat777

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm

These moves will be taking place in Nov. NK will also move in with Delta at either Term C or D

HeeseokKoo

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm

AA uses 8 gates in Terminal C (including 3 without bridge). If AS B6 F9 (to MAT) and NK (to C/D?) leave, that will bring only 6 gates to AA, inconveniently spread over all concourses. Hope to hear the final news soon.

drdisque

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm

I flew Delta Shuttle on ORD-LGA almost exclusively because of the MAT. I guess I won't anymore.

tphuang

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 pm

HeeseokKoo wrote:
AA uses 8 gates in Terminal C (including 3 without bridge). If AS B6 F9 (to MAT) and NK (to C/D?) leave, that will bring only 6 gates to AA, inconveniently spread over all concourses. Hope to hear the final news soon.

Exactly, it really seems like aa is the big loser out of this. Unless of course, they are underutilizing their current ctb gates.

Capn

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Anyone know how many daily flts NK has at LGA?
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

airzona11

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:38 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
DanDun wrote:
Other than LGA are there any other airports where L-AA and L-US are still in separate terminals?

Technically, - the old US Air gates in terminal E at DFW are still being used by American Eagle, and they are pretty far removed from the rest of the AA Hub in A,B,C, and D.

Been noticing those far away gates on my last few connections in DFW, very isolated!

I think SFO till has all the PHX, CLT, and PHL flights at terminal 1 with DL.

cosyr

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 pm

So I assume this means AA will be on 3 Concourses of CTB, unless UA is also moving? Connections will not be pretty.

INFINITI329

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 pm

bpat777 wrote:
These moves will be taking place in Nov. NK will also move in with Delta at either Term C or D

If this is true Gate B6 is prime real estate...WN has been trying to get that gate for years

drdisque

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 pm

It appears UA has consolidated on concourse C of Terminal B (I don't see any departures from A today). UA moving wouldn't help anyone. Maybe WN could move to the low C Eagle gates if they were reconfigured and AA could take their gates and thus get out of C. But that would require reconfiguration and thus wouldn't be an easy switchover.

Maybe UA and AA could trade Concourses C and D, but I don't see that being a huge improvement other than that AA would then control all of C, the largest (and worst) concourse in the CTB.

stlgph

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:11 pm

drdisque wrote:
It appears UA has consolidated on concourse C of Terminal B (I don't see any departures from A today). UA moving wouldn't help anyone. Maybe WN could move to the low C Eagle gates if they were reconfigured and AA could take their gates and thus get out of C. But that would require reconfiguration and thus wouldn't be an easy switchover.

Maybe UA and AA could trade Concourses C and D, but I don't see that being a huge improvement other than that AA would then control all of C, the largest (and worst) concourse in the CTB.

No. Airport lounge locations.

The airlines just have to survive for the next 4 years during the CTB rebuild project.

Oh, who am I kidding. 8.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

tlecam

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:21 pm

drdisque wrote:
I flew Delta Shuttle on ORD-LGA almost exclusively because of the MAT. I guess I won't anymore.

I fly the BOS shuttle a lot, and I felt the same way when it moved from MAT. But, the shuttle gates in Terminal C are pretty convenient - not a long walk from security, and a SkyClub right close by. I have PreCheck, so security is never an issue for me, even on Monday AM/Wed or Thurs PM.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Rookie87

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:34 pm

airzona11 wrote:
kbmiflyer wrote:
DanDun wrote:

Been noticing those far away gates on my last few connections in DFW, very isolated!

I think SFO till has all the PHX, CLT, and PHL flights at terminal 1 with DL.

Not quite... At SFO I've seen CLT out of terminal 2 a few times and heard the A330 flight will operate in terminal 2 as well.

I can't remember AA's terminal in LGA but would it be stuffed when they consolidate?

Super80Fan

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Yuck, glad I am flying AA out of LGA this month instead of next.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

evank516

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Does anyone know if the new post-construction terminal will have centralized TSA checkpoints? If they centralize them so people can transfer in between concourses then where AA co-locates will no longer be an issue when this is done in 2050.

jsnww81

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Only the PANYNJ would be brilliant enough to name the terminals A, B, C and D, and then name the concourses at one of the terminals A, B, C and D. Nice and straightforward for travelers trying to navigate a 50-year-old rat's nest terminal surrounded by a massive construction site.

On the plus side, new terminal construction seems to be moving along at a respectable clip, by NYC infrastructure standards. I looked at construction photos the other day and was surprised at how much has already been erected. It'll be a long road, but the photos were actually encouraging to see. LGA is one of only a handful of US airports that's had to rebuild their terminal basically on top of the old one (SLC is doing it now, MDW did it fifteen years ago, DCA did it in the 90s and FLL/SDF did it in the 80s), so hopefully there's a reasonably good playbook to follow.

commavia

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 pm

cosyr wrote:
Connections will not be pretty.

True, but AA-AA connections aren't pretty at LGA now, anyway, so little change there. And in any event, luckily for AA, most of the traffic in and out of LGA is O&D, and the level of connections is far, far lower than Delta, so if AA and its passengers do have to suffer through a suboptimal terminal setup for a few years while the new CTB is built, it shouldn't be quite as detrimental as it would be at a true major connecting hub.

stlgph wrote:
The airlines just have to survive for the next 4 years during the CTB rebuild project.

Oh, who am I kidding. 8.

:checkmark:

jsnww81 wrote:
Only the PANYNJ would be brilliant enough to name the terminals A, B, C and D, and then name the concourses at one of the terminals A, B, C and D. Nice and straightforward for travelers trying to navigate a 50-year-old rat's nest terminal surrounded by a massive construction site.

So true. Sad, but so true.

jsnww81 wrote:
On the plus side, new terminal construction seems to be moving along at a respectable clip, by NYC infrastructure standards. I looked at construction photos the other day and was surprised at how much has already been erected. It'll be a long road, but the photos were actually encouraging to see.

Agreed. On my last trip through LGA a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't believe how much progress I saw - by NYC standards, the speed was honestly shocking. The final completion of the new CTB is obviously still years away, but once it's done - wow - it is going to be a stunning improvement over the current setup.

jsnww81 wrote:
LGA is one of only a handful of US airports that's had to rebuild their terminal basically on top of the old one (SLC is doing it now, MDW did it fifteen years ago, DCA did it in the 90s and FLL/SDF did it in the 80s), so hopefully there's a reasonably good playbook to follow.

Don't forget about the MIA North Terminal (AA's current concourse D) - that was built essentially on top of the former concourses B and C, and incorporated some or all of the former concourses A and D.

cosyr

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 pm

commavia wrote:
cosyr wrote:

True, but AA-AA connections aren't pretty at LGA now, anyway, so little change there. And in any event, luckily for AA, most of the traffic in and out of LGA is O&D, and the level of connections is far, far lower than Delta, so if AA and its passengers do have to suffer through a suboptimal terminal setup for a few years while the new CTB is built, it shouldn't be quite as detrimental as it would be at a true major connecting hub.

But right now, isn't there a bus from USAir to CTB? If all under one roof, I assume the bus will go away, meaning more people that have to leave security to change planes. Nowadays, anytime you have to leave security to change planes, I find unacceptable.

commavia

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 pm

cosyr wrote:
But right now, isn't there a bus from USAir to CTB? If all under one roof, I assume the bus will go away, meaning more people that have to leave security to change planes. Nowadays, anytime you have to leave security to change planes, I find unacceptable.

Quite true, although theoretically at least I don't think there would be anything stopping AA from running a bus between multiple concourses in the CTB - similar to the current setup at DCA. In any event, though, I doubt this is really all that huge a driving factor either way since so much of AA's traffic at LGA is O&D.

jsnww81

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:37 pm

commavia wrote:
Don't forget about the MIA North Terminal (AA's current concourse D) - that was built essentially on top of the former concourses B and C, and incorporated some or all of the former concourses A and D.

I thought of that one, but didn't include it as by all accounts it was a nightmare of mismanagement and came in about four years behind schedule. Hoping that's one proejct they aren't using as an example to follow!

stlgph

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 pm

cosyr wrote:
commavia wrote:
cosyr wrote:

AA runs a bus between Concourse C and D in Terminal B.

bpat777

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Once completed all terminals and concourses will be unified.

stlgph

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 pm

bpat777 wrote:
Once completed all terminals and concourses will be unified.

Was that announced with the project, for I was curious about the answer to this question, myself.

On paper and in the drawings it looks as though there are four concourses, two divided off into their own brother/sister sections. In these drawings it looks as though, at the very least, two pairs would be connected by the same security point, but not both pairs.

That being said, I haven't seen a final floor plan of the whole thing. There could be an upper level with shared security spreading out to all the concourses, or a basement doing the same purpose with fire and dragons for all I know.

F27500

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Alaska Airlines flies to LGA ??!

twaconnie

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Capn wrote:
Anyone know how many daily flts NK has at LGA?

At last check NK had 11 daily flights out of LGA.

twaconnie

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 pm

F27500 wrote:

AS picked up the slots from VA merger.

ScottB

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm

tphuang wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Mat has 6 gates for 3 carriers with 24 slot pairs. I think each gate should have no problem with 4 daily flights. Maybe JetBlue thinks it can somehow get more slots, who knows.

I think the bigger issue at the MAT is going to be the size of the gate lounges. It might not be so bad now that B6 is running a lot of E190s on the LGA-BOS pseudo-shuttle and AS uses the E175 to DAL, but having six A320/A321/738/739s departing the MAT at the same time would be a mess out of the current space. I don't know how well-suited the check-in area is for handling multiple carriers, though; I've always gone directly to the security checkpoint.

commavia wrote:
cosyr wrote:

Quite true, although theoretically at least I don't think there would be anything stopping AA from running a bus between multiple concourses in the CTB - similar to the current setup at DCA. In any event, though, I doubt this is really all that huge a driving factor either way since so much of AA's traffic at LGA is O&D.

I think the solution does end up being a bus between the CTB concourses until the redevelopment reaches a stage where AA can consolidate behind a single checkpoint; this is exactly what DL did between Terminals C & D until the connecting bridge was completed. That's still going to be WAY better than the current situation which is a bus between the CTB and the former US Airways terminal. Plus the wayfinding is AWFUL for AA passengers given that they use gates D1 through D10 at the CTB while Delta has gates D1 through D11 at Terminal D, and the signage for the latter is far more prominent in Terminal C. And the Admirals Club at Terminal C seems to be a sad little glass box.

jsnww81 wrote:
LGA is one of only a handful of US airports that's had to rebuild their terminal basically on top of the old one

There are more than you seem to think; HOU did this with the Central Concourse and the new terminal at DAL is also largely on top of the old one. FLL is replacing Terminal 4 on top of the old one, and the same was true of BOS Terminal A (although the post-9/11 downturn in the industry allowed the terminal to be cleared out with some tight quarters for the airlines at BOS for a few years). The new LGB terminal was built on largely the same footprint as the old set of trailers, and the consolidated A/B Pier at BWI incorporated the late 1990s-era high B gates with a new terminal built on top of the original A & B Piers. RDU also replaced the original Terminal C built for AA's hub with a new Terminal C/D at the same location. BHM also completely replaced its concourses with new structures on top of the old ones, with a new consolidated security area.

evank516 wrote:
Does anyone know if the new post-construction terminal will have centralized TSA checkpoints? If they centralize them so people can transfer in between concourses then where AA co-locates will no longer be an issue when this is done in 2050.

I think there will still be two TSA checkpoints (three if you count the MAT), one in the Delta terminal and one in the "everyone else" replacement terminal for the CTB. Based on the most recent rendering, I think the elevated bridge between the easternmost DL concourse and the "new CTB" would indicate the concourses are all connected behind security, but given that DL is financing the rebuild of its terminals, I very strongly doubt they'll be willing to share gate space with anyone.

tlecam wrote:
the shuttle gates in Terminal C are pretty convenient - not a long walk from security, and a SkyClub right close by. I have PreCheck, so security is never an issue for me, even on Monday AM/Wed or Thurs PM.

I don't know if I'd call the Shuttle gates convenient to the Pre Check checkpoint, but then the walk from C33 to D6 is maybe 10-15 minutes so it's not as if the entire terminal is huge.

tphuang wrote:
HeeseokKoo wrote:

Exactly, it really seems like aa is the big loser out of this. Unless of course, they are underutilizing their current ctb gates.

Eh, some AA passengers lose out on the somewhat nicer experience in Terminal C, but operationally this will be an improvement for AA in that their operations will all be consolidated in the CTB -- they won't have to staff separate check-in and baggage operations (not to mention shuttling bags & customers across the construction zone) and they can likely get better utilization from ramp & customer service agents as well. I also imagine they run into issues with passengers unfamiliar with the operation with a flight departing C8, for example, who show up at Terminal C 30 minutes prior to departure...

There are ramp parking positions in front of the AA hangars and busing passengers out to those really isn't any worse than the ground-level positions they'll lose at Terminal C -- and they are also closer to the nexus of AA's LGA operations.

ty97

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 pm

The AC on Concourse D is going to mad(der) house if this comes to fruition.

aemoreira1981

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:47 am

F27500 wrote:

Regional services do. LGA-DAL, formerly flown by mainline VX A319s, were replaced by E175s.

PITflights

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Since DL wants everything to be together at LGA did AA leverage that to get consolidated into T in ATL?

Sightseer

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 pm

PITflights wrote:
Since DL wants everything to be together at LGA did AA leverage that to get consolidated into T in ATL?

AA's been slated to take the new T gates for well over a year, so in terms of the timing I doubt that situation played into this move.

jetbluefan1

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Can an A321 fit into the MAT gates? I'm sure B6 would love to upgauge certain LGA-Florida flights during peak periods. My understanding is that B6's current gates in the central terminal do not have space for the A321.

twaconnie

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:01 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:
Can an A321 fit into the MAT gates? I'm sure B6 would love to upgauge certain LGA-Florida flights during peak periods. My understanding is that B6's current gates in the central terminal do not have space for the A321.

Four of the six gates can handle A300 size aircraft. This was a PanAm requirement they wanted for their new shuttle operation from the MAT.(1986).

Bigstud69

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:54 am

Sightseer wrote:
PITflights wrote:

AA's been slated to take the new T gates for well over a year, so in terms of the timing I doubt that situation played into this move.

Which new gates in T?

ty97

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:06 am

Bigstud69 wrote:
Sightseer wrote:
PITflights wrote:

Which new gates in T?

5 new gates, coming circa 2021

http://www.myajc.com/business/hartsfiel ... Imp5sidUI/

jfklganyc

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm

There is some news on this today.

Look for a press release shortly.

Big shuffle occurring in LGA next month

DanDun
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:22 am

Looks like American will be doing the swap on Dec 8/9.

miaskies

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 pm

LGA on the move...
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLULcfbSgU&feature=youtu.be>

Moves effective 12-09-17:

American / American Eagle / American Shuttle: TERMINAL B
Delta Shuttle: TERMINAL C
Delta / Delta Connection: TERMINAL C/D
Frontier/Spirit - Departures: TERMINAL C
Frontier/Spirit - Arrivals: TERMINAL D
JetBlue/Alaska - TERMINAL A
United/Southwest/Air Canada: TERMINAL B
Crosscheck Complete :)

dmorbust

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:32 pm

miaskies wrote:
LGA on the move...

I'm just curious, does anyone know why DL would have accepted this move? I realize they benefit operationally from being in just two terminals instead of spread across three, but why accept having Frontier and Spirit take some C/D gates when I feel like Frontier and Spirit could have fit in the MAT/Terminal A with Jetblue and Alaska? It just seems like DL is the one who gave something up here so they should have been able to get the better deal...

ty97

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:23 am

dmorbust wrote:

I'm just curious, does anyone know why DL would have accepted this move? I realize they benefit operationally from being in just two terminals instead of spread across three, but why accept having Frontier and Spirit take some C/D gates when I feel like Frontier and Spirit could have fit in the MAT/Terminal A with Jetblue and Alaska? It just seems like DL is the one who gave something up here so they should have been able to get the better deal...

AA currently has 8 gates in C I believe (though only 5 of them are contact gates AFAIK) so I'm not sure the Frontier/Spirit moving in, with their very limited ops, is really giving anything up.

I'm not sure there would have been passenger hold room in A for Jetblue, Alaska, Frontier, and Spirit to all be there. Probably not ample check-in space or four airlines either.

HPAEAA

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:24 am

miaskies wrote:
LGA on the move...

So is terminal b getting reshuffled at all? just wondering with air Canada, Southwest & United staying put if AA is going to consolidate to 2-3 of the concourses or if they'll be spread out over all 4.

Edit:
Looks like they're going to have gates on all 4 concourses but are keeping the bus: http://news.aa.com/press-releases/press ... fault.aspx so Net, they're giving up 5 gates for 4 which might be why DL agreed...
1.4mm and counting...

Jo8338

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 am

What gates will NK / F9 have?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos