Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maortega15
Topic Author

Philippine Airlines to get new visual identity

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:35 am

Pages 6-7
http://mabuhay.ink-live.com/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=d3e80c9f-8caf-4eb8-8de6-cb95b1ee4f45

Wonder what they come up with. :crossfingers: it's better than the recent rebrands of others.

cedarjet

Re: Philippine Airlines to get new visual identity

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 am

I was waiting for my Thai jumbo to Haneda at the weekend and looking at a Philippines A330 and thinking GOD their current livery is very nondescript, I think anything they do will be an improvement. Let’s see what they come up with

downdata

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:56 am

Still better than JAl

smi0006

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:11 am

I think this is well over due. PR seem to be getting a proper strategy and product together which they’ve lacked for the last couple of decades. They never seemed to properly seal the deal with a brand refresh, hopefully uniforms come too - and they stick with this round of changes.

TheLion

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 am

The existing tail is great and represents the Philippines, especially as it's a stylised version of the national flag. Yet it would be good for the body to see some colour and design changes that amount to more than Eurowhite, with a additional font update.

amadorE175

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:52 am

TheLion wrote:
with a additional font update

Agreed. The font for the current wordmark is a bit too stuffy and plain. For the planes, I do love the tail as is so I'm curious to see what they'll do. For their print and online presence, I would think that they'll roll out a different icon that looks better than the version of the tail they use for their current logo. Pair it with a nice new font and they'd be set.

They really emphasized the textile patterns in the updated A330 product so maybe they'll go towards incorporating some patterning on the body. A subtle barong-style embroidery pattern but done in that light grey Turkish, Hawaiian, and US Airways (used) to use. They could also incorporate some of that textile-based patterning into their print and online visuals. They're really plain as is. I personally wouldn't mind some sunburst colored nacelles but that's probably not going to happen.

maortega15
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:18 am

If they change the font to another sans-serif one, hopefully they won't go with a generic font like American, Garuda and others.

I love the tail and livery but a spruce up wouldn't hurt.

The article mentions they're going to add more color. Maybe a khaki, and beach blue like color?

They are indeed going in a more proper direction, but the airport woes alone along with Philippine bureaucracy can hamper their efforts.

At least it seems like they're going to release everything in one go unlike CX who released the branding separately from the new updated scheme.

They stated by the end of the year, not before long we'll find out.

CarbonFibre

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 am

It's typeface not font!

BestWestern

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:02 am

maortega15 wrote:
If they change the font to another sans-serif one, hopefully they won't go with a generic font like American, Garuda and others.

The article mentions they're going to add more color. Maybe a khaki, and beach blue like color?

They are indeed going in a more proper direction, but the airport woes alone along with Philippine bureaucracy can hamper their efforts.

At least it seems like they're going to release everything in one go unlike CX who released the branding separately from the new updated scheme.

The new airport terminal in Cebu is simply fantastic. I had a terminal tour there about four weeks ago.

maortega15
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:16 am

BestWestern wrote:
maortega15 wrote:

The new airport terminal in Cebu is simply fantastic. I had a terminal tour there about four weeks ago.

I should've specified MNL's woes. A private operator (GMR) is running CEB while MNL is still being run by the government.

And CEB is building a new terminal.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 am

This airline needs far more than a simple brand refresh - personal in-flight entertainment for all long-haul flights would be a good start.

Cheers,

C.

maortega15
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:52 am

planemanofnz wrote:
This airline needs far more than a simple brand refresh - personal in-flight entertainment for all long-haul flights would be a good start.

Cheers,

C.

They're already starting to go in that direction with all 77W's having IFE while the A330's are in the process of getting them refitted. The A350's will be coming in next year which will replace the A340's.

Yahnih

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:11 pm

http://ryandaza.com/philippine-airlines/

maybe some visual ideas of the concept?

sudenmorsian

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Yahnih wrote:

While that logo looks rather nice, the livery looks like a knock-off AA livery (especially with that font).

TedToToe

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Yahnih wrote:

Please, no! Just awful!

TC957

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Great effort - but I'm not a fan of titles over the windows like that. Plus still a bit too eurowhite, maybe some sort of wavy cheatline in the blue & red to break it up a bit.

maortega15
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:16 am

Doubt it as the article stated they're going to add more color.

crownvic

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:01 am

If Duterte gets his way, you won't have to worry, because they won't be around. They supposedly own Billions of pesos in terminal and ATC fees unpaid for years that the previous government turned their back on. Should be interesting days coming.

PRFlyer

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:11 am

amadorE175

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:41 am

Is there a reason why they've used "Philippines" rather than "Philippine" when painting their planes?

smi0006

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:18 am

I hope we see new uniforms too. Whilst too casual Cebu Pacific has great uniforms.

The Philippines is such a vibrant pace environmentally and culturally- I do hope we see something bright, energetic and colourful!

What is their lounge situation like in MNL?

It’s a shame they’ve been locked out of the big 3 alliances, that would really cement their new direction. Well that and a new airport in MNL....

sonnyville

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:01 am

amadorE175 wrote:
Is there a reason why they've used "Philippines" rather than "Philippine" when painting their planes?

It's a country made up of more than 1 island, ~7,000+ islands, and it is very much diverse in culture, ethnic groups, and languages. So it makes so to call it The Philippines (plural), rather than Philippine (singular). You wouldn't call the United States of America, The United State when it is comprised of 50 states in the Union plus several Territories right? It just doesn't make sense. "The Philippines" is always referred to plurally just as you would refer to "The United States."

But I do find the current livery and markings inadequate. They have justified that it is unique and that it stands out, but simply "Philippines" marked on the aircraft just seems to fall short on the paint scheme. PAL in bold and in smaller print fully written "Philippine Air Lines" would be great. The font they are using, it's also quite dated. I hope when they are figuring out their rebranding, they come up with a more intelligent and sophisticated font and scheme.

The uniforms are also very tired looking with those hideous scarves. They should think back to the diverse cultural identity of the Philippines and they can come up with very smart, modern, traditional, and uniquely "Filipino" uniforms.

amadorE175

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 am

sonnyville wrote:
amadorE175 wrote:

It's a country made up of more than 1 island, ~7,000+ islands, and it is very much diverse in culture, ethnic groups, and languages. So it makes so to call it The Philippines (plural), rather than Philippine (singular). You wouldn't call the United States of America, The United State when it is comprised of 50 states in the Union plus several Territories right? It just doesn't make sense. "The Philippines" is always referred to plurally just as you would refer to "The United States."

I mean, I get that (family is Filipino and well versed in history in geography) but the airline name is marked not with the country name but with the demonym "Philippine," no S. It's as strange as American Airlines using "Americans" or, in a stronger parallel, "United States" titles on the fuselage. My question is not about the name of the country. Rather, my question is about the choice to go with the S only on the fuselage but not in any other material. It's the de facto flag carrier but it's not government owned so I'm interested in the inconsistency between fuselage title and carrier name.

gregn21

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:40 am

Let’s hope they learn from the likes of China Eastern. I would like to see them do something along the lines of what NZ did where the KEPT THEIR CURRENT LOGO but drew the tail design further forward onto the fuselage.

maortega15
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:08 am

gregn21 wrote:
Let’s hope they learn from the likes of China Eastern. I would like to see them do something along the lines of what NZ did where the KEPT THEIR CURRENT LOGO but drew the tail design further forward onto the fuselage.

They mentioned they're going to be more colorful. China Eastern is hardly colorful.

Hopefully, not too colorful like Air Tahiti Nui. Maybe a more subtle approach like Hawaiian. While the Philippines is a major at the same time, an underrated tourist destination, it's not like Tahiti or Hawaii where they mainly rely on tourism for a strong economy.

It won't be too long before we find out as their 2 77W orders are already in pre-assembly. Hopefully, they get the new scheme. Fingers crossed.

Coal

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:11 am

Yahnih wrote:

Absolutely love the 737.

inferno

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:14 am

While I am excited about PAL's 5-star ambitions, I am not optimistic about this new "visual identity". In the past 10 years we've seen a trend in redesigns that are cheesy like Iberia/Avianca/Garuda, downright bland like China Eastern/JAL/Finnair and rather tacky like AA/Alitalia/Air Canada, and probably THE WORST visual identity of all, Malaysia Airlines. There are too few good brand redesigns like Air New Zealand, Fiji Airways and Cathay Pacific which are appropriate where they're from.

itisi

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:21 pm

cedarjet wrote:
I was waiting for my Thai jumbo to Haneda at the weekend and looking at a Philippines A330 and thinking GOD their current livery is very nondescript, I think anything they do will be an improvement. Let’s see what they come up with

It's a simple yet beautiful scheme.

gregn21

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:35 pm

maortega15 wrote:
gregn21 wrote:

They mentioned they're going to be more colorful. China Eastern is hardly colorful.

I meant learn from their mistakes. . .

QANTAS747-438

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 am

Any updates on this new visual identity?

maortega15
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am

QANTAS747-438 wrote:

Well their next 77W should roll out in a few days so I guess we won't have to wait long!

Yahnih

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:42 pm

I’m predicting new seat retrofits on the narrowbodies with the greenish|grey color scheme PAL displayed.

smi0006

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:45 pm

maortega15 wrote:
QANTAS747-438 wrote:

Well their next 77W should roll out in a few days so I guess we won't have to wait long!

I hope it’s revealed on their new aircraft; maybe too late depends when it was finalised. Any word on uniforms or seats?

Side note: where do they send their 77W? Do they have many left to be delivered? Some of those 340s are getting really long on the tooth!!

maortega15
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 pm

smi0006 wrote:
maortega15 wrote:
QANTAS747-438 wrote:

I hope it’s revealed on their new aircraft; maybe too late depends when it was finalised. Any word on uniforms or seats?

Side note: where do they send their 77W? Do they have many left to be delivered? Some of those 340s are getting really long on the tooth!!

2 more left 77W's to be delivered.

JFK, LAX, LHR, SFO, YVR and YYZ.

The seats I'm still not sure on. Possibly the ones on the recent delivered ones, but they really need a better product in the front.

Premium Economy is on their A330's with 307 seats. I guess they want to see how the market responds with the product before rolling it out on the 77W's for much longer routes.

QANTAS747-438

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 am

Do we know the tail numbers of the two new 777s?

idp5601

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm

smi0006 wrote:
It’s a shame they’ve been locked out of the big 3 alliances, that would really cement their new direction.

Not all hope is lost - PR says a foreign airline (unnamed as of now) will buy part of it next year; if said airline is a member of any of the big 3 alliances it might be PAL's ticket to a membership.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

maortega15
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm

QANTAS747-438 wrote:
Do we know the tail numbers of the two new 777s?

RP-C7781 and RP-C7782.

81 is in the paint hangar at the moment so I guess we'll find out soon.

VC10er

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm

I LOVE THE TAIL! It’s a Walter Landor icon. However the branding is puny and and dated looking. I think the tail should remain almost untouched but with a FRESH fuselage, and make sure all the other brand touch points are modern and classy. In fact I think they ought to call my agency to take a swing at it. I’d respect Walter’s contribution, while bringing it up to date.

Devilfish

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Whatever they do, I hope they'd keep the tail (with very minor update) and perhaps use a new, bolder typeface, and not put the title down low like this... :grumpy: ...

For longer aircraft, they can introduce a neutral design along the fuselage so it does not look bare, and perhaps add a bit of color on the engines so it's distributed and not concentrated in the rear at some angles. They could try a different placement for the flag and registration to reduce clutter at the tail end.

I know they want it legible from the ground in flight but people don't walk around with their heads tilted skyward (well, maybe except A.nutters and plane photographers). For the most part, spotters view aircraft from normal vantage points. :airplane:

A388

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 pm

I agree, the tail colors shouldn't be changed drastically but it can be updated just a little bit. I also hope the rest of the aircraft will get more colors and larger airline titles with a new font.

A388

carlokiii

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:24 am

So the "new visual identity" won't be unveiled with PR's latest two B77Ws, as both have just rolled out off the paint hangar still sporting the regular Philippines livery.

LN1534 | RP-C7781
Source: Twitter/ @AeroimagesChris

LN1535 | RP-C7782

amadorE175

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 am

carlokiii wrote:
So the "new visual identity" won't be unveiled with PR's latest two B77Ws, as both have just rolled out off the paint hangar still sporting the regular Philippines livery.

LN1534 | RP-C7781

LN1535 | RP-C7782

Handsome birds but this just means more waiting. I suppose the next best opportunity to see the new livery (if there is one) would be the A350 introduction in (late?) 2018.

SleeplessInZh

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 pm

This Lucio Tan should get fired!where is the new visual identity?promises...promises...empty words.we can't realy take this airline seriously.

Devilfish

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
This Lucio Tan should get fired!where is the new visual identity?promises...promises...empty words.we can't realy take this airline seriously.

That would be quite difficult to do considering he owns the airline. And search as I might, I couldn't find any mention of a new visual identity in the indicated pages of the linked magazine issue.

maortega15
Topic Author

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 am

Devilfish wrote:
SleeplessInZh wrote:

That would be quite difficult to do considering he owns the airline. And search as I might, I couldn't find any mention of a new visual identity in the indicated pages of the linked magazine issue.

October issue, pages 6-7.

http://mabuhay.ink-live.com/html5/reade ... 8bde478805

ElmerJrG

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:28 am

Don't get your hopes up about the new livery. From a few sources, it's either been put on hold or shelved completely.

Now, looking forward to the A350 in the current colours..

smi0006

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 am

New delivery doesn’t always mean it’s perfectly timed with the new branding.... although this is PR.

Did the 77W come with the new seats fitted?

PR has so much potential, I hope they can pull this off and come through.

Devilfish

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 pm

ElmerJrG wrote:
Don't get your hopes up about the new livery. From a few sources, it's either been put on hold or shelved completely.

I wonder if their recently announced loss and profit decline were a factor in that decision. IIRC, it was close to the ~P6B in arrears paid to the government. :scratchchin:

ElmerJrG wrote:
Now, looking forward to the A350 in the current colours..

If anything, the A359s have better odds of receiving a fresh livery as it's a new subfleet, whereas both T7s wouldn't match the rest of the 77Ws (a few were leased) and could cost a pretty penny to update.

smi0006 wrote:
Did the 77W come with the new seats fitted?

Considering the aforementioned setback, the expense it would entail for a handful of owned frames and the mismatch that would result, the prospect is not very promising.

smi0006 wrote:
PR has so much potential, I hope they can pull this off and come through.

OTOH, I'd expect they'd come up with these at least when the time comes to renew their fleet! .... :bigthumbsup: ....

https://imagr.eu/up/5zxUp_DPUMdxgWkAADTvP.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ng-443654/

carlokiii

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:18 am

Source: Twitter/ @mattcawby

New update grabbed from the 787 production thread... If this is indeed a new photo, then it appears that one of the new 777s is going inside 45-01, so either there are some paint touch ups, some other visuals to be added, or just some inspection. (Or it was just coming out of the paint hangar :lol: )

Akiestar

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:26 am

amadorE175 wrote:

At the time of the new Sunriser livery, PR was state-owned (and, for the most part, a monopoly until new airlines were founded in the mid-to-late 1980s). The word "Philippines" is there to denote that the airline is the national airline of the Philippines.

Of course, this confuses people when the President charters PR aircraft for trips abroad, since they end up thinking it's our Air Force One. :biggrin:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos