Confirmed: Aer Lingus Add PHL-DUB

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:44 pm

DUB-PHL
13.50-16.15
PHL-DUB
17.30-05.10+1

Sunday, Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

Commences 26 March 2018 with B757-200!
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

commavia

Re: Aer Lingus Add PHL-DUB

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Awesome - makes perfect sense. (Relatively) big O&D market, and soon a partner hub. I suspect this will eventually develop into a daily flight, maybe A330 in the summer and 757 in the winter.

JAmie2k9
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 pm

commavia wrote:
Awesome - makes perfect sense. (Relatively) big O&D market, and soon a partner hub. I suspect this will eventually develop into a daily flight, maybe A330 in the summer and 757 in the winter.

Most likely A330 at some stage, AA would of had little bearing on the decision.

Its typical Aer Lingus choice.

Eirules

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
commavia wrote:

Most likely A330 at some stage, AA would of had little bearing on the decision.

Its typical Aer Lingus choice.

While I’m not even slightly surprised, I’m a touch disappointed with how “safe” this choice is. I was hoping for PIT or CLE

FSDan

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Do we know where the aircraft will go the other 3 days of the week? Is DUB-BDL going less than daily, or is a new 3x weekly destination likely to be announced?

JAmie2k9
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:54 pm

FSDan wrote:
Do we know where the aircraft will go the other 3 days of the week? Is DUB-BDL going less than daily, or is a new 3x weekly destination likely to be announced?

A330 goes back to IAD to make the B752 available.

Eirules

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:55 pm

FSDan wrote:

Aer Lingus will take delivery of another new A330 this winter which won’t go into service until Spring 2018. This will free up the 752. But you’re right, it leaves slack in the fleet. They may increase frequency on another route or leave some slack for the summer as they were caught dreadfully short this summer after tech issues

JAmie2k9
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Eirules wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Aer Lingus will take delivery of another new A330 this winter which won’t go into service until Spring 2018. This will free up the 752. But you’re right, it leaves slack in the fleet. They may increase frequency on another route or leave some slack for the summer as they were caught dreadfully short this summer after tech issues

No extra just 3 free slots for tech cover like this summer. MIA and extra MCO coming into next summer, they reduced LAX to allow MIA start.

atcsundevil

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:39 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
DUB-PHL
13.50-16.15
PHL-DUB
17.30-05.10+1

I'm not able to find confirmation of the route, only an article stating they were potentially going to make the announcement. I will change the thread title until the news is confirmed. Please source your information next time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... 0?mode=amp

Skyblue39

Re: Unconfirmed: Aer Lingus Add PHL-DUB

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:14 pm

The flights are available for booking on aerlingus.com
EI114/EI115

uberflieger

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
The flights are available for booking on aerlingus.com, EI114/EI115

Could this be an indication Aer Lingus will finally join the AA / IAG TATL JV & Oneworld? :bigthumbsup:

:airplane:

JAmie2k9
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

uberflieger wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:
The flights are available for booking on aerlingus.com, EI114/EI115

Could this be an indication Aer Lingus will finally join the AA / IAG TATL JV & Oneworld? :bigthumbsup:

:airplane:

JV is far from certain, OW will happen.

chrisnh

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 pm

I know BOS is a fortress for EI but others are knocking on the door. It will be interesting to see whether they drop some flights next summer. I’d say no, but they might fight on a price basis.

JAmie2k9
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:41 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I know BOS is a fortress for EI but others are knocking on the door. It will be interesting to see whether they drop some flights next summer. I’d say no, but they might fight on a price basis.

Don't expect any reduction, if anything it could do with extra capacity.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a third daily A321 LR in 2019 or 2020. Transit traffic is very strong and growing.

atcsundevil

Re: Confirmed: Aer Lingus Add PHL-DUB

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
DUB-PHL
13.50-16.15
PHL-DUB
17.30-05.10+1

It's now official. The only change (according to this article, at least) is that flights will begin on March 25.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... ?mobi=true

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Seems like a good move for them. PHL is a pretty large market, and connections at DUB they will have alot to offer.

crownvic

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:16 am

Good to see, but this announcement was made about 40 years ago. Glad it is finally happening.

TheLion

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 am

Good news for the Irish especially, with a direct link on EI at long last to a legendary city, plus access to a wide range of connecting choices.

This is a logical add and as many say, it's surprising that they've never served PHL before. It would be interesting to hear your views on why that is.

chrisnh

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm

I don’t think it has anything to do with the suitability of PHL and everything to do with aircraft availability.

JAmie2k9
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I don’t think it has anything to do with the suitability of PHL and everything to do with aircraft availability.

it really does, low risk route and COO said as much yesterday but also hinted they would be adventitious with new routes coming up in the next few years. They have to be as the "guaranteed" winners are more less all operating for them now.

They had the A330 aircraft available had they wanted to venture further afield. I would expect IAD will return to full narrow body when the A321's arrive.

shamrock350

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:43 pm

TheLion wrote:
Good news for the Irish especially, with a direct link on EI at long last to a legendary city, plus access to a wide range of connecting choices.

This is a logical add and as many say, it's surprising that they've never served PHL before. It would be interesting to hear your views on why that is.

A combination of bigger fish to fry and aircraft availability.

Returning to the west coast was a key focus when Aer Lingus was ready to expand again, building up the network they once operated made sense before launching new cities so we saw SFO, IAD and LAX relaunched. Getting into the Canadian market was an ambition of theirs as well, YYZ launched as the first "brand new" North American in a number of years. We also saw a focus on bolstering their bread and butter east coast destinations, the New York area in particular with additional frequencies, EWR relaunched, having been absent since 2001 and BDL added ahead of certain other carriers looking at secondary cities.

Now is the time we see Aer Lingus adding more brand new cities to their network, Miami has just launched, Philadelphia follows and there is undoubtably more to come but the playing field is wide open now with 7 A321LR's on the way, a business case underway to boost that to 12 frames and all the predictable cities ticked off the list, there's lots of potential out there.

TheLion

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:22 am

shamrock350 wrote:
TheLion wrote:

Returning to the west coast was a key focus when Aer Lingus was ready to expand again, building up the network they once operated made sense before launching new cities so we saw SFO, IAD and LAX relaunched. Getting into the Canadian market was an ambition of theirs as well, YYZ launched as the first "brand new" North American in a number of years. We also saw a focus on bolstering their bread and butter east coast destinations, the New York area in particular with additional frequencies, EWR relaunched, having been absent since 2001 and BDL added ahead of certain other carriers looking at secondary cities.

Now is the time we see Aer Lingus adding more brand new cities to their network, Miami has just launched, Philadelphia follows and there is undoubtably more to come but the playing field is wide open now with 7 A321LR's on the way, a business case underway to boost that to 12 frames and all the predictable cities ticked off the list, there's lots of potential out there.

Some interesting thoughts, thanks.

They certainly do need to get cracking on secondary cities before the other legacies get there. Places like RIC, PHF (Newport News), ORF (Norfolk), BUF, ROC, PWM, STL, MCI, CMH, CLE, CVG, SDF (Louisville), PIT, MKE...some of those (like CLE) are probably off the menu now for the reason you mention.

I do find it odd that EI have never previously served PHL though, given its size, proximity to Ireland and clearly significant diaspora. 90s and 00s EI not launching PHL seems an especially curious point of history.

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 am

TheLion wrote:
I do find it odd that EI have never previously served PHL though, given its size, proximity to Ireland and clearly significant diaspora. 90s and 00s EI not launching PHL seems an especially curious point of history.

From todays point of view it may seem odd, but at the time US was operating PHL daily with A333s, as I recall. US and EI never worked together and at the time EI would have been a oneworld airline with a decent relationship with AA via ORD and JFK. Back then EI didn't have a 757 sized aircraft and the US A333 would have been a pretty large aircraft for the market. Remember that NYC would have been the only market with more than one airline, year round. In the year 2000 DUB handled 13 Million passengers, this year DUB is likely to handle 30 million, the market has transformed radically and competition is fierce.

As for future routes? Draw a ~4000 mile circle around DUB. Any city with a runway long enough, population/wealth big enough and incentives strong enough are potential EI routes with the A321LR. BA has shown great opportunity with the 787 with routes like AUS & MSY, which I think the LR will replicate on shorter routes. Im sure the success of BDL will encourage EI too. I don't think many would have considered BDL a potential route for EI - but its daily even in winter and selling well. Anything is possible!

Skyblue39

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 am

Am I correct in saying that PHL will therefore only have 4 European Carriers: Lufthansa, Icelandair, British Airways and Aer Lingus? If so, that seems really strange.

phlsfo

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Am I correct in saying that PHL will therefore only have 4 European Carriers: Lufthansa, Icelandair, British Airways and Aer Lingus? If so, that seems really strange.

Yes. The only other INTL carriers are AC and QR.

TheLion

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:11 am

BrianDromey wrote:
TheLion wrote:

From todays point of view it may seem odd, but at the time US was operating PHL daily with A333s, as I recall. US and EI never worked together and at the time EI would have been a oneworld airline with a decent relationship with AA via ORD and JFK. Back then EI didn't have a 757 sized aircraft and the US A333 would have been a pretty large aircraft for the market. Remember that NYC would have been the only market with more than one airline, year round. In the year 2000 DUB handled 13 Million passengers, this year DUB is likely to handle 30 million, the market has transformed radically and competition is fierce.

As for future routes? Draw a ~4000 mile circle around DUB. Any city with a runway long enough, population/wealth big enough and incentives strong enough are potential EI routes with the A321LR. BA has shown great opportunity with the 787 with routes like AUS & MSY, which I think the LR will replicate on shorter routes. Im sure the success of BDL will encourage EI too. I don't think many would have considered BDL a potential route for EI - but its daily even in winter and selling well. Anything is possible!

Very helpful on PHL thanks.

Yes, the LR could well be a groundbreaker for EI, and FI too. It opens up so many potential markets for both FSCs and LCCs. It will be interesting to say the least to see what happens.

lowfareair

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 pm

commavia wrote:

Nailed the daily part - daily flights are now set to run May 18th-Oct 26 (returns to 4x weekly after that, for the moment at least). Still 752 the entire time, but given that the flights don't even begin for another 6 weeks, this is a welcome and promising development.

johhn14

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:09 pm

chrisnh wrote:

I fly to Shannon a few times a year and the flight is always jammed in the summer. At 1x 757 I’m curious what might happen there. I’m sure they could fill more seats but not sure how - frequency or bigger bird.

USAirALB

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:

Swissair used to operate ZRH-BOS-PHL until the late 1990s I believe.

AF flew PHL-CDG with a 763/332/343 until a couple of years back when they handed the route over to DL.

izbtmnhd

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 pm

TheLion wrote:
    shamrock350 wrote:
    TheLion wrote:

Some interesting thoughts, thanks.

They certainly do need to get cracking on secondary cities before the other legacies get there. Places like RIC, PHF (Newport News), ORF (Norfolk), BUF, ROC, PWM, STL, MCI, CMH, CLE, CVG, SDF (Louisville), PIT, MKE...some of those (like CLE) are probably off the menu now for the reason you mention.

CLE is off the menu but SDF, RIC and PWM are OK? What? Why do you keep repeating that RIC and SDF are better international markets than CLE? It makes no sense.

BestWestern

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:54 pm

With all the westbound capacity, when will EI start growing east bound for feed? Routes like TLV Will add volume, if not stellar yield to the business. Central and southern European cities will also need to be served year round. and more frequently too.

I wonder if we will see a new wave of 321LR heading east bound before the current 6:30 short haul departures so they can get back early afternoon to head west?

Something like a very very simplified schedule below. (All times UTC)

06:00 DUB -> eastbound city 4HR. 10:00.

11:00. Eastbound city -> DUB 4hr. 15::00

16:00 DUB -> westbound city. 6hr 22:00

23:00 westbound city -> Dub. 6hr. 05:00

(It’s talking 90mins to turn the 757 in BDL at present,so safe assumption on an hour for the 321?)

klm617

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:10 pm

USAirALB wrote:
    Skyblue39 wrote:

Swissair used to operate ZRH-BOS-PHL until the late 1990s I believe.

AF flew PHL-CDG with a 763/332/343 until a couple of years back when they handed the route over to DL.

Alitalia also operated PHL-BOS-FCO

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:26 pm

are other carriers doing 1:15 turn around times i thought 2 hour or more was the normal

VS4ever

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:37 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
    are other carriers doing 1:15 turn around times i thought 2 hour or more was the normal

the norm is between 1:45 to 2:00, least that's what I see on the BOS schedule for example. A 321 even internationally should be able to do 1:30. WW at BOS with their 321's and even FI's 757's are blocked at 1:30.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos