Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HHScot

Re: Rumor: LH might introduce a new/revised livery in 2018

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 am

What's the purpose of an airline?
A) To bring passengers safely from a to b at reasonable cost, with a convenient schedule while also making money
B) To fly planes with an "interesting" and "colourful" livery

The answer is A if you are an airline executive, shareholder or member of the general public. The answer is b if you are a typical a.net reader! :duck:

seahawk

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:41 am

speedbird52 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
All rumours say there will be more blue than before.

Sorry, but what does Blue have to do with Germany? One of the many things I love about Lufthansa is how their brand distinctly gives off a German feel, and the yellow (Although not quite a German color prior to the 20th century) aided in that.

Lufthansa never had anything to do with Germany for me. Lufthansa is Lufthansa and blue always was a big part in their branding since the 1950ies. But I also believe that the livery really does not matter at all for an airline to work or not. The quality of the airline has made some airline brands well known, but even the best branding concept does not save a shitty airline. So in the end the livery does not matter at all.

aviationaware

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:17 am

seahawk wrote:

Even if you only fill out the circle with the crane on the tail with blue instead of yellow that would be "more blue than before".

seahawk

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:18 am

aviationaware wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Even if you only fill out the circle with the crane on the tail with blue instead of yellow that would be "more blue than before".

German rumours explicitly said more blue on the fuselage.

blink182

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:18 am

bunumuring wrote:
blink182 wrote:
lostsound wrote:

I gave it a go, had to keep it low to make room for the titles.

*LH's brand team suddenly scrambles and contacts lostsound* Lostsound shows up to work in a luxury car a week later with LH HON Circle membership.

Hey, great idea!
I'll take a car too - navy blue and silver are my favourite car colours thanks - for my original idea, lol!
Lostsound did an awesome job, agreed! I really hope that the new LH livery looks as good as Lostsound's image!
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Oops. Of course. You too get a luxury car and HON Circle! Sadly I have no affiliation with Lufthansa so am powerless here, but if I did work for LH then this is the least I would do. That, and toss in a few of those rubber duckies from the F lounge. :bigthumbsup:

N14AZ

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 am

lostsound wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Stretch the crane across the forward fuselage, in silver.... Like the tulip on Turkish Airlines' rear fuselage....

Hmm, the crane near the cockpit section looks as if the A350 wears a beard... not as long as the Air Israel B707 in Airplane but similar. ;-) Thank you for your image, nevertheless.

Looking forward to see the actual new livery. Usually I am a typical a.netter, complaining about any new livery. But not this time, I am actually quit confident.

What happened to the pictures posted by Seahawk? Maybe they were too close to the reality so that they had to be deleted? ;-) just asking ...

BartSimpson

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:40 am

speedbird52 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Sorry, but what does Blue have to do with Germany? One of the many things I love about Lufthansa is how their brand distinctly gives off a German feel, and the yellow (Although not quite a German color prior to the 20th century) aided in that.

It's about corporate identity, not national identity. Luckily, we have gone beyond the point where everything private or public has to be painted in the tricolor colours.

Anyway, the third color of the national flag is gold, not yellow.

Lilienthal

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 am

No offense but none of the amateur designs that have been posted here look like anything Lufthansa would want to put on their planes of years to come. The newest one looks like the plane has got a rash on it's face or a beard or whatever. And that is true for almost every thread about an airline getting a new livery...

There is a reason why design/advertising agencies exists and why companies are paying them lots of money. Redesigning a brand's visual appearance, including the livery, is a complicated and time consuming process that requires expertise and a lot of man-hours. Just because some of you don't understand that, doesn't change the fact. And if you think you could do that in an afternoon with Photoshop, then let me tell you: No. No, you can't.

The reason why most of us won't like the new livery at first is simply because humans are uncomfortable with change. It needs time. And sure, some corporate designs are more boring or less recognizable or more short-lived than others. But i have a feeling that Lufthansa is not going to fall in that trap...

steman

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:56 am

Lilienthal wrote:
No offense but none of the amateur designs that have been posted here look like anything Lufthansa would want to put on their planes of years to come. The newest one looks like the plane has got a rash on it's face or a beard or whatever. And that is true for almost every thread about an airline getting a new livery...

There is a reason why design/advertising agencies exists and why companies are paying them lots of money. Redesigning a brand's visual appearance, including the livery, is a complicated and time consuming process that requires expertise and a lot of man-hours. Just because some of you don't understand that, doesn't change the fact. And if you think you could do that in an afternoon with Photoshop, then let me tell you: No. No, you can't.

The reason why most of us won't like the new livery at first is simply because humans are uncomfortable with change. It needs time. And sure, some corporate designs are more boring or less recognizable or more short-lived than others. But i have a feeling that Lufthansa is not going to fall in that trap...

Man,
I couldn´t agree more.
Very well said!
It´s ok to express one´s own opinion on a particular design but all this talk of "I like it, I don´t like it, I wish they´re do it like this, I wish they wouldn´t change it" is just plain talk that brings absolutely nothing to the discussion.
Many will be disappointed by the new livery. Many will like it. LH has made a decision and I doubt their continued success will depend on the new livery.

skipness1E

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 am

seahawk wrote:
Lufthansa never had anything to do with Germany for me

Deutsche Lufthansa AG? The former flag carrier of Germany? That's a bit like saying Air France comes over as Welsh.
Lufthansa is very German, it remains a German superbrand, this is same reason Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss were not rebranded as European Airways with all the potential savings therein. Brands are not too far from football teams in the human mind, mess too much, get it badly wrong, there will be one Hell of a kickback. Ayling Airways anyone? Consignia?

CBBW

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 am

steman wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:

Man,
I couldn´t agree more.
Very well said!
It´s ok to express one´s own opinion on a particular design but all this talk of "I like it, I don´t like it, I wish they´re do it like this, I wish they wouldn´t change it" is just plain talk that brings absolutely nothing to the discussion.
Many will be disappointed by the new livery. Many will like it. LH has made a decision and I doubt their continued success will depend on the new livery.

Isn't expressing opinions pretty much what discussion forums exist for? People have the right to their opinions and you have the right to not read them. I'm not sure what you think the patronising attitude of our post and the one you were agreeing with is adding here tbh.

EK413

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 am

Ive just come across this mock up of the ‘new’ livery :cry:

EK413

steman

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:25 am

CBBW wrote:
steman wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:

Man,
I couldn´t agree more.
Very well said!

Isn't expressing opinions pretty much what discussion forums exist for? People have the right to their opinions and you have the right to not read them. I'm not sure what you think the patronising attitude of our post and the one you were agreeing with is adding here tbh.

There´s nothing patronising in my post, I´m sorry you read it that way. And I have said that it´s ok to express one´s opinion. I just don´t see how expressing opinion on RUMORS of a livery change brings anything to the discussion.

nitepilot79

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:14 pm

EK413 wrote:

EK413

Yeah, I guess planes are getting ugly (787 and A350) so why spring for a great looking livery?

columba

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Well, if this indeed how the new livery will look like it will show a great resemblance with the Airbus house colors.....coincidence or purpose :-)

vahancrazy

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm

EK413 wrote:

EK413

this is still a boring eurowhite... please, colour the engines and put there a nice logo!

not the best I have seen in this thread, but definitely Lufthansa!

tommyarias

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:04 pm

EK413 wrote:

EK413

Doesn't seem to be consistent with the pictures of the A350 at the final assembly line and from LH526.

Lilienthal

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 pm

tommyarias wrote:
Doesn't seem to be consistent with the pictures of the A350 at the final assembly line and from LH526.

Yes. A link to this pic was already posted a couple of days ago. It's an application of the earliest rumors from the first page of this thread to different aircraft types.

Old news but still a possibility...

redcap1962

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:54 pm

As it seems to be leaked now let's hope they change it in the last minute... :irked:
You Germans shouldn't be allowed to design aircraft liveries. Stay with building cars, trains, etc. and brewing your beer!
:duck:

Semaex

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm

speedbird52 wrote:

Blue has nothing to do with Germany, you're righ. But Lufhansa derives from Luft and Hanse. The latter referring to the great merchandise empire of Renaissance-Germany and beyond. And since their main transportation of goods were through maritime means, the naval blue is a so to say a "direct descendent" of the "Hansa" brand. In that regard, the new, darker blue is in fact more fitting that the current colour.

FSDan

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:10 pm

lostsound wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Stretch the crane across the forward fuselage, in silver.... Like the tulip on Turkish Airlines' rear fuselage....

I like the modernized look of the logo on the tail and on the fuselage, but I do hope their final livery has a bit more color than just black, white, and grey/silver... I'd like to see the tail be blue (even if it's a very dark navy blue), and some yellow featured somehow - maybe yellow engine nacelles.

TurboJet707

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:25 pm

lydh wrote:
Thing is, mindlessly bitching about "Eurowhite" when the entire global design community has been trending toward minimalism for at least a decade doesn't really serve a purpose. Perhaps critics should read a book or reach out to a design professional on Twitter and try to understand the logic, rather than whining about how they want more color (or a return of cheatlines :rotfl: ).

Well, there's minimalism and there's lack of distinctiveness (OK, I won't say lack of inspiration). I'm all for minimalism, as long as the products (furniture, books, tableware, watches, espresso machines, etc. etc.) or buildings have their own distinctive shape and are recognisable from a distance.

However, there are only so many different aircraft types, and even those are looking more and more similar nowadays: a tube with wings and two engines, in S, M, L and XL sizes. So the only way to make your A350 or 787 stand out against the competition is to have a distinctive livery. However, distinctive liveries seem to be a thing of the past, now that more and more airlines are going for an all-white fuselage and a blob of colour on the vertical stabilizer. I don't think that the idea of minimalism means that you can't see the difference between a JAL 787 and an Air France 787, except for some colour on the tail fin and the titles on the fuselage.

N14AZ

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 pm

EK413 wrote:

EK413

Ah, thanks. These are the pictures I meant further above. They were posted some days ago but disappeared.

TurboJet707

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:22 pm

I would really be disappointed if this here above would be the actual new livery. Very bland, boring and unimaginative. The 'wrap-around' under the empennage has been done before by Iberia, Alitalia, Airbus, American, Scoot and Qantas (among many others, I'm sure) so that is hardly original or recognisable. The crane looks OK to me, but the yellow and warm blue was so much more classic and characteristic... At first glance, the new blue/silver on the tail looks a lot like the Skyteam livery.

Come on LH, you could do a lot better. I think a LH livery should ooze class and reliability, that is not the same as boredom.

SpieleWERT

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:54 pm

TurboJet707 wrote:
I would really be disappointed if this here above would be the actual new livery. Very bland, boring and unimaginative. The 'wrap-around' under the empennage has been done before by Iberia, Alitalia, Airbus, American, Scoot and Qantas (among many others, I'm sure) so that is hardly original or recognisable. The crane looks OK to me, but the yellow and warm blue was so much more classic and characteristic... At first glance, the new blue/silver on the tail looks a lot like the Skyteam livery.

Come on LH, you could do a lot better. I think a LH livery should ooze class and reliability, that is not the same as boredom.

Those are actually fan-made renderings. Not the real thing.

SpieleWERT

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:03 pm

I wonder why all those fan-made renderings have the original Lufthansa titles...
A Lufthansa representative confirmed that the new livery will feature new titles more than a week ago.

Also: The leaked livery with the black tail was known before it "got leaked".
I guess the picture only showed the tail so no one sees the new titles yet.

KLDC10

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 pm

SpieleWERT wrote:
I wonder why all those fan-made renderings have the original Lufthansa titles...
A Lufthansa representative confirmed that the new livery will feature new titles more than a week ago.

Also: The leaked livery with the black tail was known before it "got leaked".
I guess the picture only showed the tail so no one sees the new titles yet.

Do you have a link to back up the claim that the titles will be changed? The only suggestion I've found about that is in a Spiegel Article which is linked earlier in this thread and seemed to be written in a more speculative style than anything else.

Narfish641

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:58 pm

The renderings to me look pretty nice, I especially love the black tail with the crane on the fuselage, however I don't think there would be time for the A346 to painted since those aircraft are going to be retired and replaced with the A359. You could say, it's like swapping out fluorescent light bulbs with the energy saving ones but at a very rapid pace (But not as rapid).

kwidenka

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:21 am

I like the idea of a silver fuselage but it would look too much like skyteam.

intotheair

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:27 am

Lilienthal wrote:

YES. This is spot on. Whenever people start posting livery mocks on this site, they are trash 99.9% of the time.

The only one in this thread that looks even remotely passable is the one EK413 posted from Instagram, and even that is a pretty low res render.

okjet

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 am

D-ABYA out of the paint shop at FCO. I am very disappointed if this is the final livery.

http://www.facebook.com/prgairside/phot ... =3&theater

seemyseems

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 am

okjet wrote:
D-ABYA out of the paint shop at FCO. I am very disappointed if this is the final livery.

Oh gosh, what a shame.

PM

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 am

okjet wrote:

Oh no... Hard to think of this as an improvement.

N14AZ

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

okjet wrote:

So it’s exactly as shown in the rendering above.

I am not sure if LH is happy about this roll -out. Didn’t they want to fly it secretly back to Frankfurt? With covered tail fin?

737MAX7

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

okjet wrote:

This is absolutely horrible.... who in their right mind thought this looked good?

A330freak

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:04 am

Looks very much like a photoshop to me

787Driver

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 am

I at least hope they paint the engines white or better yet, same as the tail color.. The grey engines look completely wrong.

LoganTheBogan

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 am

Instagram news page is reporting it too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeZ7ggbnTkh ... ation_news

TheLion

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:09 am

Surely that can’t be it. The reveal is too obvious. They wouldn’t have allowed it to leave the hanger without being wrapped.

LoganTheBogan

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 am

It's been reported as a fake

upintheair2018

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 am

Guys, that image is ANOTHER rendering. D-ABYA is still in the paint hangar.

DELTA711

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 am

looks fake to me... but hope it isn't the livery that is coming....

BartSimpson

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 am

Of course it's a fake.

When did it come out of the hangar - this night in full daylight? Yesterday and nobody has seen it until now? And why already now when it is supposed to be a surprise unveiling on Feb 7? Did Lufthansa think nobody would spot it for 10 days?

As for another question - why will the B747 be painted in FCO and not in FRA or HAM? (I don't know if LH has still its own painting facilities.)

columba

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 am

It is a fake and badly photoshopped. The plane will be flown to FRA at night and it is also supposed to have stickers that will hide the new livery.

JannEejit

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:33 am

Does anyone ever wonder if these so called 'leaks' are actually orchestrated by the airline and/or design agency in order to gauge a sense of feedback before final release, with maybe a 'plan B' or alternate version available ? ;-)

Lilienthal

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:01 pm

Very unlikely since hardly anyone actually cares about the whole deal except aviation enthusiasts, and i don't think that social media echo-chambers filled with heavily opinionated armchair-CEOs like us is a valuable source of information for LH... :lol:

EK413

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:12 pm

I pray that is fake as others already mentioned! :pray:

EK413

sadiqutp

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:26 pm

okjet wrote:

my humble expertise in photoshop says it's fake

leleko747

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:37 pm

It's fake and this is the original picture:

https://planefinder.net/images/5983902:Photo:363252.jpg

NickWebb

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Sorry, but no!!

maortega15 wrote:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos