Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA737-823

Re: Rumor: LH might introduce a new/revised livery in 2018

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:22 am

Alpenmilch85 wrote:
New designt on a Boeing 747-8 will be presented aprox. in three weeks from now on. 100 years Lufthansa.

Cant wait. ..(..).. "the evolution of the crane".

More Inspiration abt. the possible future colours can be found at:
http://magazin.lufthansa.com/xx/en/nons ... om-himmel/

Interesting that in the color wheel of that page, one of the most prominent feature colors is.... BROWN.

I like it.
We'll see how it looks when they make a new livery out of grays, blues, yellows, and possibly brown (though I expect the browns will stay IN the cabin, rather than out).

OlafW

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:05 am

AA737-823 wrote:
(though I expect the browns will stay IN the cabin, rather than out).

The presentation of the new Business class featured some brown on the armrests, and some brown shades have been used in the Rimova 747-8 suitcase line. I guess the brown will appear in some of the higher class-related features, maybe also furniture in the lounges, but not much more.

oldannyboy

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 am

jubguy3 wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
Clipper101 wrote:
Hope they can bring a wavy line between white & grey, same style as KLM or UA B787.

The wavy line on the UA B787 makes it the worst looking aircraft type in their entire fleet. I really hate it. A straight line looks so much sharper.

Cheatlines look Soviet. Maybe mao-chic. It looks incredibly outdated and I am having trouble believing anyone complaining about KLM or UA's liveries (specifically on the 787 for UA) is under the age of 55.

hahaha!!! :lol: Here I am. Much younger than 55, and yes, strongly hating all these wavy silliness that IMHO will date in no time, and that looks 'cheap' and tacky.

lysflyer

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 am

Jawaiiansky66 wrote:
Bring back the big black nose...love it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wjESlwQipw0/V ... ro%2B2.jpg

well-done LH!
I absolutely love it! I hope this is their real new colors

conaly

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:30 pm

It seems the shown concepts are so far not true at all. At the moment, there are no pictures or renders of the new livery available to the public. The D-ABYA will leave the painting-halls on 7th of February, that's probably the earliest date we can expect to get first REAL impressions. The official presentation will be somewhere in the week after.

geizistgeil

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:40 pm

...as stated before: on 7th Feb. there is an event in FRA in a hangar where LH employees will be invited (invitation by lucky draw of all who registered).

aviationaware

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm

lysflyer wrote:
Jawaiiansky66 wrote:
Bring back the big black nose...love it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wjESlwQipw0/V ... ro%2B2.jpg

well-done LH!
I absolutely love it! I hope this is their real new colors

That is a retro jet 747-8 that has been flying for some time now. It's not the new livery. Don't get excited.

bunumuring

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 pm

Hey guys,
Could there be a crane on the forward fuselage?
Hmmm.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

JulietteBravo

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:18 am

I hope they keep their timeless livery more or less. And: this webadress „lufthansa.com“ – come on! Its just not necessary and so 2000!

ual763

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:01 am

JulietteBravo wrote:
I hope they keep their timeless livery more or less. And: this webadress „lufthansa.com“ – come on! Its just not necessary and so 2000!

What else would they use?

Aeroflot777

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 am

ual763 wrote:
What else would they use?

... that's referring to using "lufthansa.com" in branding. Of course the actual web address remains unchanged.

aviationaware

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 am

Lufthansa.io :3

No seriously, I don't think the web address on their planes is a big deal. It's not like they are flying around with a huge telephone number billboard livery like Easyjet did in the early days.

seahawk

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 am

More blue on the fuselage, small changes to the logo on the tail.

If you add all rumours, I could imagine something like that

VCEflyboy

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm

The yellow will be gone from the livery. The logo will be silver on blue.
The yellow will only stay in the uniform. Sad cuz the LH hello was pretty iconic.

seahawk

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:41 pm

There is conflicting info about that.

Could be like:

or

KarelXWB

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:31 pm

The A350 will get the new livery as well:

Lufthansa's first #A350 to roll off the TLS production line wearing the carriers new livery will be D-AIXI

https://twitter.com/Aerostatpilot/statu ... 6938800129

GE90man

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:22 pm

seahawk wrote:

Could be like:

or

Hey this looks.... ok. Certainly better than the “Joon livery” with LH logos on it. The silver bordering the blue on the tail and read certainly helps add some more dimension, as do the blue engines

JA786A

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 pm

German news magazine "Der Spiegel" reports that it will be a "completely new corporate design" with much more blue and nearly no yellow, but the crane will only be "revised". The slogan "Nonstop you" will disappear as well. Additionally, the logo font will change from Helvetica to something else and the new design will be presented to employees on February 7th in Frankfurt and Munich.
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/lufthansa-gibt-flotte-eine-neue-bemalung

KLDC10

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:36 pm

JA786A wrote:
German news magazine "Der Spiegel" reports that it will be a "completely new corporate design" with much more blue and nearly no yellow, but the crane will only be "revised". The slogan "Nonstop you" will disappear as well. Additionally, the logo font will change from Helvetica to something else and the new design will be presented to employees on February 7th in Frankfurt and Munich.
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/lufthansa-gibt-flotte-eine-neue-bemalung

The relevant passage from the 'Der Spiegel' article ( https://magazin.spiegel.de/SP/2018/4/155351680 ) reads as follows:

"Bei Mit­ar­bei­ter­fes­ten in Frank­furt und Mün­chen am 7. Fe­bru­ar sol­len die Neue­run­gen vor­ge­stellt wer­den. So­gar der welt­be­kann­te Kra­nich – ent­wor­fen vor ziem­lich ge­nau 100 Jah­ren von Otto Fir­le – soll leicht ver­än­dert da­her­kom­men. Auch die Schrift­art des Mar­ken­na­mens wird über­holt. Der Rumpf der Ma­schi­nen wer­de mehr Blau tra­gen, heißt es bei Luft­han­sa."

I've translated that below:
"The changes will be presented at employee parties in Frankfurt and Munich on 7th February. Even the world-renowned Crane, designed almost exactly 100 years ago by Otto Firle, (should/will*) also appear slightly changed. The font of the brand name will also be overhauled. The rear of the airplanes will wear more blue, according to Lufthansa."

*The use of the verb 'sollen' is a bit tricky in German - I think in this case it should be taken as an assertion that the crane will indeed be (slightly) changed.

It would be a shame if Helvetica is dropped, but the word "overhauled" could just mean in terms of positioning on the fuselage, color etc. I personally hope that the Helvetica stays (and it was featured prominently in the promotional video linked earlier in the thread), but perhaps it won't. If I've missed anything in the translation, I'm sure some of our German members could weigh in!

mxaxai

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:00 pm

LTU1011 wrote:

Well not really getting knickers in a twist if you ask me ... might be an interpretation but it does imho reach far beyond that - the livery should be (at best) the culmination/the essence of what your firm defines as its corporate identity

Going back to that ... Lufthansa and the relevant news outlets have been talking about only the livery. There hasn't been anything about the corporate identity and overall brand they want to have and why they consider the change necessary.

KLDC10 wrote:
Auch die Schrift­art des Mar­ken­na­mens wird über­holt.

This very specifically talks about the font, not about the name or its placement being changed. Perhaps they finally realised that Comic Sans was the better choice after all? :wink2:

Interesting that none of the LH group airlines use the same font:

WIederling

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:44 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Alpenmilch85 wrote:
New designt on a Boeing 747-8 will be presented aprox. in three weeks from now on. 100 years Lufthansa.

Cant wait. ..(..).. "the evolution of the crane".

More Inspiration abt. the possible future colours can be found at:
http://magazin.lufthansa.com/xx/en/nons ... om-himmel/

The color palette presented there implies that the yellow will stay. However, since the article has no date attached to it, I am not sure if it might have been from the A350 introduction.

Archive.org trawled that page fist June 19 2017. the frontpage was visited regularly over the full year including June 19 2017.
Thus good guess the page was published 18/19 June 2017

seahawk

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 pm

GE90man wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Could be like:

or

Hey this looks.... ok. Certainly better than the “Joon livery” with LH logos on it. The silver bordering the blue on the tail and read certainly helps add some more dimension, as do the blue engines

Correct the font and added a few details:

FW200

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:21 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
"The changes will be presented at employee parties in Frankfurt and Munich on 7th February. Even the world-renowned Crane, designed almost exactly 100 years ago by Otto Firle, (should/will*) also appear slightly changed. The font of the brand name will also be overhauled. The rear of the airplanes will wear more blue, according to Lufthansa."

*The use of the verb 'sollen' is a bit tricky in German - I think in this case it should be taken as an assertion that the crane will indeed be (slightly) changed.

If I've missed anything in the translation, I'm sure some of our German members could weigh in!

The verb "soll" can be translated in two ways:

It can mean »[The crane] shall appear slightly changed«, but in this case I think the correct translation would be »Even the worldwide known crane - designed almost exactly 100 years ago by Otto Firle - is said to become slightly modified».

The word »Rumpf« howerver doesnt mean tail, but rather fuselage.

So, »There will be more blue on the fuselage of the aircraft«.

KLDC10

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:49 am

FW200 wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

If I've missed anything in the translation, I'm sure some of our German members could weigh in!

The verb "soll" can be translated in two ways:

It can mean »[The crane] shall appear slightly changed«, but in this case I think the correct translation would be »Even the worldwide known crane - designed almost exactly 100 years ago by Otto Firle - is said to become slightly modified».

The word »Rumpf« howerver doesnt mean tail, but rather fuselage.

So, »There will be more blue on the fuselage of the aircraft«.

Ah yes, 'Rumpf' is a so-called 'false friend!'. Thanks for the correction. Interesting then that the article does not specify where the blue will be on the fuselage. We have heard suggestions that it will be at the rear, extending down over the tail (as in the oft-cited Brazilian blog post). I did see a fairly plain-looking concept of a 747 with an all-white fuselage, gray engines and only the vertical stabilizer in blue with a silver crane. I can't find it now.

Either way, we shall just have to wait and see what Lufthansa unveils. I'm a little skeptical about a Brazilian blog somehow coming across the new livery before anyone else.

upintheair2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi, guys! Another rendering from an Italian aviation website (via Aeronews): https://www.facebook.com/Aeronews.ro/po ... 4851721609

Also, it seems an Airbus A321 (D-AIDQ) will also get the new livery. I'm thinking the 747-8I will be unveiled in FRA on 07.02 (the ceremony for employees stars at 18:30 local time) and the A321 in MUC, same evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seahawk

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Rumours say something like that

Byron1976

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:11 pm

The wavy liveries are trendy, but not timeless. LH it's recognized by the representation of the german way and values. A livery as the LH it's a hard work to redesign, even if it's a light refresh. IMHO, LH must keep going the actual one. It's a livery that doesn't look dated.

BartSimpson

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Huh, this is gonna be fun! Can't wait for Feb 7 to see who has won the a.net / internet design contest and predicted the most similar paint scheme.

Byron1976

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:36 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Interesting that none of the LH group airlines use the same font:

Well, as far as I can see, Lufthansa, Swiss and Germanwings, shares the same typeface: Helvetica bold. The odd fact, is that Germanwings and Eurowings, doesn't share the same typeface.

OA940

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:58 pm

There are a million rumors, but yet nothing as good as the current one. QF and AC pulled it off, so I hope LH does, because their current branding is beautiful.

CarlosSi

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:05 pm

I hope revised crane doesn’t mean butchered ala American.

ORDfan

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 pm

OA940 wrote:
There are a million rumors, but yet nothing as good as the current one. QF and AC pulled it off, so I hope LH does, because their current branding is beautiful.

Agree, that AC did a good job, but they went a little more retro-chic...if anything, they went back a couple decades to a time when the current LH scheme was first introduced. I also agree that LH's current scheme and branding are wonderful and in no need of touching up or refreshing. My fear is that change for the sake of change will result in something that is neither timeless nor elegant, and they will now enter into a period of livery 'updates' every decade or so like all the other majors.

As for QF - as far as I know, they didn't change anything other than the font on the fuselage, correct? Which was a very minimal change, at that.

ThePinnacleKid

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:40 pm

ORDfan wrote:
OA940 wrote:
As for QF - as far as I know, they didn't change anything other than the font on the fuselage, correct? Which was a very minimal change, at that.

No, they also changed/stylized the Roo and added silver/grey to the livery subtly

konrad

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 pm

seahawk wrote:
More blue on the fuselage, small changes to the logo on the tail.

If you add all rumours, I could imagine something like that

The one with yellow on the tail is Ukraine Intl

Lilienthal

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 pm

upintheair2018 wrote:
Hi, guys! Another rendering from an Italian aviation website (via Aeronews): https://www.facebook.com/Aeronews.ro/po ... 4851721609

I think this one is entirely possible. It is pretty much the only concept or rumor around here that looks like a serious possibility for the new livery and the longer i look at it, the more i like it. The silver crane looks classy, the deep blue quite beautiful. Sure... lots of euro white, but i'd rather have the majority of a plane in white, than in some fancy color that looks cool for a couple of days but just weird after the novelty wears off.

I'm actually very anxious about changes fo the font. Helvetica - while some people find it boring - is absolutely timeless, and that in itself makes the font very elegant. Fonts matter much more than people normally realize. Lettering is so omnipresent and abundant in our daily lives, we often don't pay attention to the nuances. But some companies manage to tie a certain font to their brand name and Lufthansa and Helvetica are an example for that, so there's a lot at stake here.

Sooner787

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:15 pm

If that's the new livery, I will be happy. It's a refresh ala QANTAS versus
blowing the whole house up like AA did

upintheair2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
Fonts matter much more than people normally realize. Lettering is so omnipresent and abundant in our daily lives, we often don't pay attention to the nuances. But some companies manage to tie a certain font to their brand name and Lufthansa and Helvetica are an example for that, so there's a lot at stake here.

True that! Look at Emirates and Porsche, which have their own iconic fonts. I'm also hoping this rendering is the closest one to the official thing.

william

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Euro white rules again.

Lennundus

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 pm

I really like the LH yellow. I hope they don't take it away with this new livery.

KarelXWB

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Lufthansa's first A350 that will feature the new livery has emerged from final assembly in TLS. Unfortunately, the tail fin is covered in plastic.

MSN202 - Is the new Lufthansa tail livery hiding under the white plastic? by DigitalAirliners.com, on Flickr

KLDC10

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
Lufthansa's first A350 that will feature the new livery has emerged from final assembly in TLS. Unfortunately, the tail fin is covered in plastic.

MSN202 - Is the new Lufthansa tail livery hiding under the white plastic? by DigitalAirliners.com, on Flickr

If you zoom in very closely, it appears as though you can see the four lines which form the wing of the crane, the body below and the outline of a circle. If that is indeed the case, the crane appears to be quite small and placed quite low down on the vertical stabilizer. The color which can be seen on the tail also looks quite dark indeed.

FW200

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
If you zoom in very closely, it appears as though you can see the four lines which form the wing of the crane, the body below and the outline of a circle. If that is indeed the case, the crane appears to be quite small and placed quite low down on the vertical stabilizer. The color which can be seen on the tail also looks quite dark indeed.

LOOOL - That's a total giveaway. Airbus have ruined Carsten Spohr's surprise-party! :biggrin: :lol:

Perhaps LH will get this bird 50% off now for compensation? :white:

aviationaware

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm

But what can be seen of the crane still looks pretty yellow to me? Could be my computer's nightshift messing up the color tho.

upintheair2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm

aviationaware wrote:
But what can be seen of the crane still looks pretty yellow to me? Could be my computer's nightshift messing up the color tho.

It's grey or white (hard to tell from this photo) with a dark blue tail (bit darker than the current one). As the rumours stated, it seems the yellow is gone from the tail. I also think the crane and the circle are thinner (maybe to go well with the changed "Lufthansa" font that people are talking about).

BlueSky1976

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:36 pm

It's silver, for sure. I just saved the image and zoomed it up all the way.
Looks like they're keeping their dark navy blue, though. I'm hoping for silver "Lufthansa" with updated font, sort of like what QANTAS did with theirs. Now THAT would look classy!!

OA940

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:46 pm

ORDfan wrote:
OA940 wrote:

Agree, that AC did a good job, but they went a little more retro-chic...if anything, they went back a couple decades to a time when the current LH scheme was first introduced. I also agree that LH's current scheme and branding are wonderful and in no need of touching up or refreshing. My fear is that change for the sake of change will result in something that is neither timeless nor elegant, and they will now enter into a period of livery 'updates' every decade or so like all the other majors.

QF also cut off the arms of the poor kangaroo. But it kinda suits it.

redcap1962

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:46 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

If the crane really is there (and nothing else but pure blue on the tail), this is gonna be completely inbalanced! Will look awful IMHO!

FW200

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:53 pm

The logo on the tail fin not only looks as being almost white, it also is situated so deep on the fin that I by no means I can imagine this to look balanced in terms of the proportions of the tail fin:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Moreover the blue is so dark and cold that it seems to be much worse than the classic navy blue LH used to have for decades.

If it turnes out to be as bad as I fear by looking at this A350 tail fin, I only can hope that the LH staff and the public will start such a sh*t storm as 29 years ago when LH management tried to replace the classic LH-design with that weird Condor-style yellow LCC-livery.

Then and today the so-called design studios earned a hell of money (many hundretthousands, if not million of €uros) with the creation of this bullsh't... :mad:

Fabrice95

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
If the crane really is there (and nothing else but pure blue on the tail), this is gonna be completely inbalanced! Will look awful IMHO!

The crane appears stylized but the position of those lines matches the current one almost exactly. A quick overlay looks something like this (using the current crane design):

Last edited by Fabrice95 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EK413

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

Closer observation would appear LH have followed MH foot steps going with a dark tone and the crane is white :banghead: :roll: :?

EK413

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos