TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation October 2017

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Happy October Turkish Aviation fans,

There is only one way to start this month’s thread: TK’s LOI for 20+20 787s

After many years of 748/380 or 787/350 threads, finally we have a concrete step towards TK’s future Long Haul equipment choice.
This is also followed by the newsthat TK might also opt for 40 x 350s from Airbus.
Fingers crossed, we will see some firm orders next year if not sooner.
I am happy that one of my favorite airplanes might one day fly for TK.
What do I like about the 787? I like the size, I like the wings, I like the windows, I like the interiors, I like its range and economics.

So, many question remain:
-Will there be any sub types? ( I say yes )
-What will be the seat configurations? ( I think, 2-2-2 30C, 3-3-3 258Y )
-Do we expect a new livery with the arrival of this new type? ( maybe, including new uniforms )

I also think we will see these birds initially flying to MIA, ATL, BOS, PTY, CCS, HAV, BOG, MNL, TPE.
New destinations will be possible like SEA or YVR, DTW, MEX, SCL, LIM and maybe a long shot PER, longer shot MEL or SYD.
( Bilaterals, taking weight penalties, economics aside )
Maybe LAXintl can again share some US destination performances, so we can all see if the smaller planes are justified.

Some other news:
-Rumors that TK might wet lease 10 X 787s from QR soon, part of the deal to test the plane, just like they did with the 77W. QR 787-800s have 1-2-1 22C/ 3-3-3 232Y and fairly new.
-2 x A320s leaving the TK fleet.
-Do we see a 777F in TK colors this month?
-I recently came across some new TK safety cards, do they have it on all types now?

And couple of things personally;
- I remember years ago writing to seatguru.com and asking why they do not include TK in their website and their answer was that TK was too small of an airline and nobody is really asking about the seating on TK’s jets. Now TK is on their front page :)
- I haven’t done a mileage run with TK in the past. I don’t even need to do it. I am Elite Plus for the next 4 years, but here it goes. Just booked 6 international segments with TK.
-And I can’t wait for the TK787 Herpa 1:500 model (fingers crossed)

Thanks to all for keeping these threads informative and civil and free of personal attacks/political innuendos.
Please continue with your news, views, photos, rumors and good old sense of humor.
Safe flights, Happy Landings to all.
Welcome,

You can find last months thread here: viewtopic.php?p=19853129#p19853129

OA260

Re: Turkish Aviation October 2017

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks for a new thread. Now we have the B787 intro pic hopefully it won't be too long before we see a A350 one. :)

BOEING777EK

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:44 pm

In my opinion TK should also consider about the A350ULR to start destination to MEL BNE maybe even AKL.

stylo777

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Being TK Elite myself only from domestic runs, I was wondering how you retain your Elite Plus status for 4 years? I always thought it’s 2 years only. Anyways, enjoy the perks of it and thank you for the new thread!

Regarding seatguru: not all types are correctly reflected on the site. My favorite ones are window seat without windows, but it’s improving from time to time.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:27 pm

BOEING777EK wrote:
In my opinion TK should also consider about the A350ULR to start destination to MEL BNE maybe even AKL.

TK might one day open a nonstop Australian route but I imagine this will be limited to only one airport.
Only reason TK will do this is "prestige" IMHO.
There is no money to be made by TK on this route, please allow me to elaborate:
-This will be a 17 hourish long flight. We are talking double crew members on board, serving 3 full meals. Ferrying expensive fuel for the first half of the flight.
-I doubt that TK will have a sub fleet with 34" or so Y seats. It will be 31-32" which will be very uncomfortable and not competitive.
-TK might not get a whole lot of paying J pax, this will further hurt the bottom line.

On the other hand, with a TK one stop in IST, Australians could reach almost anywhere in Europe/Eastern Europe/MiddleEast,North Africa.
The tickets will be cheaper than the rest, has to.
But TK will lose money on this segment.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:31 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Being TK Elite myself only from domestic runs, I was wondering how you retain your Elite Plus status for 4 years?

Hi stylo, already EP till 2019, but this year I've already flown over 40,000 miles which will qualify me for 2019-2021. That's my math.

globetrotter94

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:45 pm

TK787 wrote:
BOEING777EK wrote:

TK might one day open a nonstop Australian route but I imagine this will be limited to only one airport.
Only reason TK will do this is "prestige" IMHO.
There is no money to be made by TK on this route, please allow me to elaborate:
-This will be a 17 hourish long flight. We are talking double crew members on board, serving 3 full meals. Ferrying expensive fuel for the first half of the flight.
-I doubt that TK will have a sub fleet with 34" or so Y seats. It will be 31-32" which will be very uncomfortable and not competitive.
-TK might not get a whole lot of paying J pax, this will further hurt the bottom line.

On the other hand, with a TK one stop in IST, Australians could reach almost anywhere in Europe/Eastern Europe/MiddleEast,North Africa.
The tickets will be cheaper than the rest, has to.
But TK will lose money on this segment.

But surely the big question is, would they make net profit on a network-level by having a direct connection to Australia--aren't TK's short-/medium-range operations a lot more profitable than long-haul anyway? Or would the losses from the ultra-long-range IST-SYD/MEL wipe out any chance of such profit? Also, could TK compete with EK/QR for Australia-Europe on a price basis?
All roads may lead to Rome, but every city has flights to Istanbul.

CanadaFair

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Saw an A333 do Jeddah-Cotonou on FR24, post hajj charter for a third party??

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:18 am

[/quote]aren't TK's short-/medium-range operations a lot more profitable than long-haul anyway? Or would the losses from the ultra-long-range IST-SYD/MEL wipe out any chance of such profit? Also, could TK compete with EK/QR for Australia-Europe on a price basis?[/quote]
Exactly.
I really think profit is not important, connection is.
TK might not be able to compete with EK/QR on frequency and not sure on price, but like I said earlier TK will eventually fly this route.

ist2014

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:24 am

Hi all,
Thanks TK787 for threat and happy Q4 for all.
IMHO 788 is a god fig for thin routes particullart as route opener but it is not welcomed much after 789 therefore I see possibility if 788 fleet relatively low
On the other hand, i see possibility of 787-10 in future, if TK feels happy with performance of 789 there might be interested in 787-10 later, same happned for 332-333, they started with 332 later they went for 333 as well
I agree with you about proposed routes, maybe we can summarize 789 as capcity of 333 but range of 77w with a better economics

Tkfan

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 pm

TK787 wrote:

What a nice sight :cloudnine:

Thank you for the new thread and congratulations again your nickname comming true TK787

CanadaFair wrote:
Saw an A333 do Jeddah-Cotonou on FR24, post hajj charter for a third party??

TK operated from various African countries Hajj flights this year. They carried approximately 10.000 African Pilgrims to/from Medina/Jeddah.

ist2014

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:48 am

Why threat is locked, any idea, it seems 2 threats

globetrotter94

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 am

ist2014 wrote:
Why threat is locked, any idea, it seems 2 threats

Yes, I also saw another thread. But that was locked because this thread already exists.

aldrigsomandre

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:01 am

Thanks TK787 for the new thread.

I have a question, since they've started negotiations for new generation aircraft, will TK also get a new business class product as well? Their layout is kind of archaic.

Yakamoz

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks for this great thread, TK787!

TK787 wrote:
-Do we see a 777F in TK colors this month?

Planned roll out date for the first 777 cargo plane of TK is on 31/10/17, planned delivery date 15/12/2017.
Second plane's parts are also arriving these days.

gokmengs

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 am

TK787 wrote:

I saw the news when it was announced and for some reason wanted to reach out to you and congratulate you for some reason, you waited a long time for this:))) Contrary to popular A.net belief where 787 order means a loss for A350 vice versa, us Turkish aviation fans and TK FF's are lucky I believe as TK will have a mixed fleet of 787 and 350's and we would get to fly them both. I think 787 will be a game changer for TK, as IST geo-location and TK's vast network will allow TK to open long and thin routes especially in North America.

I am all in favor for QR lease, as it worked with the 777W's before. I would like to know what you guys think about possible new routes we can see with the 787s?

My recent trips with TK went ok, did a LAX run in J, as well as a JFK run, and they were all ok,requalified for EP:) I guess the cutbacks in food and normal human nature of expecting more with time comes in to play as the soft product doesn't impress me as much as before.

Also I flew to ADB a lot and I chose the flight with 777W for the short run when I can and i had seat issues a few times, no biggie on a 45 minute flight but would be pissed if my seat didn't work for the LAX flight, are they getting long in the tooth or just regular maintenance issues? Will TK offer a new J product with its 787's?

Sorry for the long post, since they did the redesign a while back it never felt the same for me here, so trying a bit more. Thanks TK787 for the thread as always and the other posters for their informative posts. All the best.
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

renaissance

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am

Turkish Airlines Cargo Boeing 777's reg's probably: first B777F TC-LJL, second TC-LJM.
http://www.goklerdeyiz.net/thy-boeing-7 ... elli-oldu/

Kilgen

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:05 am

Turkish Airlines expands its codeshare with Copa Airlines, adding SJO and LIR.

http://www.airkule.com/haber/THY-ILE-CO ... IYOR/28372

So, this is the forth round of new codeshares. In the first round of codeshare they had: pty-dav/poa/gig/mao/cnf/GRU/SDQ/PUJ/GYE/UIO/SAL/ASU/LIM. In the second round TK added all of CM Mexican destinations: PTY-cun/gdl/mex/mty. In the third round TK added all of CM Colombian destinations: pty-baq/bog/bga/ctg/clo/mde/pei and now TK has added all of CM destinations in Costa Rica: PTY-sjo/lir

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:50 am

For all Turkish Aviation fans,
I personally have been starting these threads for the last 10 years every month, pretty close to the beginning of every month depending on what part of the world I am in, in relationship to the actual time in Turkey.
The reason I do this so you can search easier looking back.
Few times when I knew I would not be able to start the thread on time, I asked our longtime friends LAXintl, Stylo... to take over the duties.
Please do not worry, there will be a new thread beginning of every month, just go through the pages or search for the new months thread :)

LAXintl

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:23 pm

TK cargo CEO Turhan Ozen was a speaker at this years Cargo Facts Symposium being held in Miami today. Had a few interesting things to share.

o Lower fuel cost and maritime sector consolidation driving clients back to airfreight
o TK cargo grew 26% in first half of 2017. While forecast growth for 2018 is strong it will be difficult to sustain such increase again
o Cargo now represents USD $1Bil+ in revenue for TK
o TK doing with cargo it did previously did passengers - offering great transit hub
o Turkish market however still represents half of tonnage via well-developed domestic truck network.
o Each freighter flight TK operates has network effect and boost belly load factor and profitability narrowbody flights.
o At new airport TK cargo warehouse capacity will rise from under 2mil metric tons to 6 annually.
o TK needs large capacity like 777/747 particularly out of Asia
o China and Asia continues to drive outbound global demand
o e-commerce and express shipments changing face of airfreight and will become a big driver as more widely adopted by consumers
o A330 freighter conversions could be good option in coming years
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MalevTU134

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Kilgen wrote:

So, this is the forth round of new codeshares. In the first round of codeshare they had: pty-dav/poa/gig/mao/cnf/GRU/SDQ/PUJ/GYE/UIO/SAL/ASU/LIM. In the second round TK added all of CM Mexican destinations: PTY-cun/gdl/mex/mty. In the third round TK added all of CM Colombian destinations: pty-baq/bog/bga/ctg/clo/mde/pei and now TK has added all of CM destinations in Costa Rica: PTY-sjo/lir

A few comments:
A couple of days ago, searching for GRU-EZE on the TK website, I was offered GRU-PTY-IST-EZE, all on TK code. :roll: Good way to use the code-share...

What's the use of codesharing BOG and GRU, other than give these insane connections?

The logic from the above is, I guess, that no conclusions can be drawn from the MEX and SJO code-shares, in terms of future operations to those cities by TK?..

stylo777

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:41 pm

TK787 wrote:
For all Turkish Aviation fans,
I personally have been starting these threads for the last 10 years every month, pretty close to the beginning of every month depending on what part of the world I am in, in relationship to the actual time in Turkey.
The reason I do this so you can search easier looking back.
Few times when I knew I would not be able to start the thread on time, I asked our longtime friends LAXintl, Stylo... to take over the duties.
Please do not worry, there will be a new thread beginning of every month, just go through the pages or search for the new months thread :)

...and we truly appreciate all your motivation and dedication every single month! Just let us know, we are here to support. :)

Kilgen

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Kilgen wrote:

A few comments:
A couple of days ago, searching for GRU-EZE on the TK website, I was offered GRU-PTY-IST-EZE, all on TK code. :roll: Good way to use the code-share...

What's the use of codesharing BOG and GRU, other than give these insane connections?

The logic from the above is, I guess, that no conclusions can be drawn from the MEX and SJO code-shares, in terms of future operations to those cities by TK?..

For GRU-PTY-IST-EZE, maybe a millage run if you have free time and if the ticket is cheap? :)

For MEX, CUN and SJO, it could be a way for TK to determine how much capacity they need before they start any new route. I believe that this is what AF, KL and LH have done previously with SJO. They started codeshares with CM and after a couple of years, they opened direct flights to SJO while keeping the codeshares to fill the rest of the days that they don't have a direct flight.

A rumor I read in a different forum, is that TK may split PTY and BOG in the future. Thus having those connections to GRU and BOG is to give multiple schedule options to the customer. Also the more options a customer has, when they are doing a search, the more results for TK will be shown.

renaissance

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Ex Onur Air TC-OCB Airbus 330 scrapped at Antalya Airport... :vomit:
http://www.goklerdeyiz.net/tc-ocbden-huzunlu-veda/

cityairline

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:21 pm

The 787 looks stunning in TK livery!

TK787 wrote:

I also think we will see these birds initially flying to MIA, ATL, BOS, PTY, CCS, HAV, BOG, MNL, TPE.

I don't think MNL will get it as they require the capacity of the 77W. These flights almost always have way above 300 passengers booked.
Also look at EK/EY/QR, they all use their two-class versions of the 77W to MNL, as it suites the market very well.
I don't fly to live, I live to fly...

renaissance

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:40 pm

5 Pegasus Boeing 737 will leave fleet end of October.
http://www.goklerdeyiz.net/pegasus-filo ... ayriliyor/

stylo777

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:31 pm

renaissance wrote:

Probably it has been mentioned earlier; but what is the reason why Onur scraps the 330?

BOEING777EK

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:04 pm

stylo777 wrote:
renaissance wrote:

Probably it has been mentioned earlier; but what is the reason why Onur scraps the 330?
The A330-300 fleet in Onur Air is one of oldest which was flying in 2016 the old A330's in Onur Air had less range and efficiency compared to other operators which operate the A330 a perfect example is TK and CX their A330's were more efficient and also to mention that Onur Air doesn't really use their A330 on their routes it's mainly leased to Saudia which then these A330's operated Hajj Routes from Jeddah to Medina etc. And at that time the A330's also clocked up a lot of cycles which led to high maintenance and parts costs so instead of maintaining it and let it continue to fly they instead decided to choose to part out and completely scrap the airframes. This particular airframe which were talking about TC-OCB is 22.5 years old and less efficient compared to the latest model which has more enhancements in structure and more fuel efficient engines in range so keeping it didn't make sense and wasn't economical.

BOEING777EK

renaissance

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Pegasus Airlines brand new Airbus 320 NEO TC-NBL has first flight today.

http://www.goklerdeyiz.net/pegasusun-ye ... u-yapti-3/

mafaky

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Let alone the higher/uneconomical costs of maintaining the said 333, OnurAir has no routes to operate these bird(s) in their own timetable and they have been leasing their rather oldish 332/333 to SV, since ages. Buuut, SV refuses to wet lease any birds over 20 years old!... Simple, as that!!!
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

globetrotter94

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Thanks TK787 for the new thread.

I have a question, since they've started negotiations for new generation aircraft, will TK also get a new business class product as well? Their layout is kind of archaic.

I like TK's business class product though. Nice, simple, layout.

SCQ83

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Is there any expansion expected for Pegasus? I can't recall the last time they announced an European destination. Btw I flew the other day to CRL and was surprised to see two Pegasus planes; apparently some days there are two flights there. Not bad for a "Ryanair airport".

mafaky wrote:
Let alone the higher/uneconomical costs of maintaining the said 333, OnurAir has no routes to operate these bird(s) in their own timetable and they have been leasing their rather oldish 332/333 to SV, since ages. Buuut, SV refuses to wet lease any birds over 20 years old!... Simple, as that!!!

I flew a few years ago IST-MED in an OnurAir operated for SV (it was an A300 or A310, I can't remember) and the plane looked extremely old and tiring inside. The people I was travelling with were quite shocked and they are people who travel quite a lot in the Middle East or Central Asia. So I can understand Saudia (especially now that is part of Skyteam and the new JED airport should make them more competitive as a connecting hub) refuses to lease planes that old.

ankaraflyjet

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 am

I attended a briefing by TK in Vancouver today, no immediate YVR market entry is expected unfortunately due to limitations on bilateral. TK indicated that new Istanbul Airport will open as expected on October 29th 2018 with three runaways operation right away...Is that true or will the airport start off with two runaways?? Anybody wants to comment please..

YYJTurk

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:51 am

ankaraflyjet wrote:
I attended a briefing by TK in Vancouver today, no immediate YVR market entry is expected unfortunately due to limitations on bilateral. TK indicated that new Istanbul Airport will open as expected on October 29th 2018 with three runaways operation right away...Is that true or will the airport start off with two runaways?? Anybody wants to comment please..

That's too bad really... Oh well
What about Seattle, was it mentioned ?

TK105

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:24 am

ankaraflyjet wrote:

I asked for the latest updates from my insider about IST new airport:
- Oct 2018 openning is possible with 1st and 2nd runways. But only limited cargo operations look possible by then.
- Actual operation will start by June 2019 (as I mentioned multiple times) with 3 runways hoping that infrastructural problems are solved for 3rd runway soon.
- A 24hr transition time is being planned for transfering all operations of IST to new airport.
- On average every 5 minutes there happens a construction accident and every 60 minutes an ambulance is being called.
- To cope with the construction worker demand, now not only Pakistani and Indian workers are brought in but also various African Countries are used to provide work force.
The future is in the skies.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 am

TK105 wrote:
- On average every 5 minutes there happens a construction accident and every 60 minutes an ambulance is being called.

I am not an expert on these but that seems very high to a regular guy like me. This is one of the reasons, my sister that works for a large insurance company decided NOT to insure this large project. She said they realized; to complete it in that short time a lot of accidents would happen and they did not want any part of it :(

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Latest European Aviation Industry numbers for Sept. 2017, from routesonline:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... -and-data/

aldrigsomandre

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 am

TK787 wrote:
TK105 wrote:

I am not an expert on these but that seems very high to a regular guy like me. This is one of the reasons, my sister that works for a large insurance company decided NOT to insure this large project. She said they realized; to complete it in that short time a lot of accidents would happen and they did not want any part of it :(

I don't understand the rush for opening the new airport.
Safety is paramount, both on and off the ground but the government seems to pride itself on how quickly it can complete projects.

It's a huge project and I'm wondering, nevermind the infrastructure, will the new airport be operationally ready? Is there enough time to train staff?

I hope it won't be a complete train wreck.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 pm

And now this from TK for J transfer pax if they have 6+ hours connection time at IST;
A VIP transfer from IST to Karakoy, 45 min. Bosphorus Cruise, Open Buffet breakfast at Ciragan Kempinski Hotel and back, for 183 euros.

https://bosphorus.turkishairlines.com/d ... kfast-tour

For me, not worth it to be in traffic for any reason. I'd rather sit at the airport lounge and rest. For first timers a big maybe if you ask me, but at least TK is trying.

aldrigsomandre

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am

From RoutesOnline:

Turkish Airlines recently filed preliminary changes for long-haul operation in summer 2018 season, effective from 25MAR18. Planned changes as of 05OCT17 as follow.

Istanbul Ataturk – Cape Town eff 25MAR18 A330-200 replaces -300, 5 weekly in Northern summer season
Istanbul Ataturk – Kuala Lumpur eff 07MAY18 A330-300 replaces 777-300ER, 1 daily
Istanbul Ataturk – Mahe Island eff 26MAR18 2 of 3 weekly operated by A330-200, instead of -300
Istanbul Ataturk – Male – Colombo 01MAY18 – 01JUL18 Service reduces from 7 to 5 weekly, A330-300 service
Istanbul Ataturk – Nairobi eff 25MAR18 A330-200 replaces 737-800, 1 daily
Istanbul Ataturk – Tokyo Narita eff 07MAY18 777-300ER replaces A330-300, 1 daily

OA260

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:42 am

TK105 wrote:
- To cope with the construction worker demand, now not only Pakistani and Indian workers are brought in but also various African Countries are used to provide work force.

That is a high number. Hopefully they can do something to improve H&S at this project although from what I hear probably wont happen. Lets hope corners are not being cut as this could come back to bite the whole operation down the line with tragic outcomes.

AirbusA343

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Is there some work being done on the taxiway beside RWY 17L/35R? I've noted tons of aircraft taxiing on runway 17L/35R over the weekend rather than on the taxiway. I've also seen aircraft taxiing on the taxiway beside the taxiway I'm talking about.

mafaky

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Allow me to comment on and/or also supplement TK105’s below quoted message:

I asked for the latest updates from my insider about IST new airport:
- Oct 2018 openning is possible with 1st and 2nd runways. But only limited cargo operations look possible by then.

I will bet my bottom dollar that the “official opening ceremony” will be on 29th October, 2018 unless a very unforeseen thing happens (such as an earthquake, flood, etc.). However, this will be basically “a ribbon cutting” ceremony, more targeted as a “political show”. There can be no smooth operations the next day. I really cannot expect, any airline to have moved to the New Airport from AHL by that date... Re-location of TK is totally impossible, by the said date, anyway! It is heavily rumored that at this opening the Piers PB2 (dedicated totally to domestic flights) and PB4 (international flights on this side but alo where the smaller in-terminal hotel is to be housed...) may not even be ready for the opening ceremony, let alone any operations. From the outside it may look as “completed” with air bridges etc. installed but not the same case for the inside... The comments about the “cargo operations” seem also pretty much true. The main Cargo Terminal (also referred to as the “Cargo City”) is nowhere to be seen yet. Although its construction will be relatively simpler and shorter time-taking than the passenger terminal, it will still me a major installation, to be located between Rwys 1 and 2, in the south part of the ATC Tower: claimed to have 35 cargo plane docking bays. I presume, until this facility will be fully ready (my estimation as mid to end 2019, the earliest) the New Airport’s Cargo handling will be limited to only with the belly cargo of the airlines. All cargo (freighter) planes from TK and others will still use IST (AHL) Airport and the cargo facilities at this site...

- Actual operation will start by June 2019 (as I mentioned multiple times) with 3 runways hoping that infrastructural problems are solved for 3rd runway soon.

My more optimistic guess is that they may start when the 2019 Summer Timetable resumes (25-26th of May 2019). But I still have doubts about the complete re-location of TK even by that date. My prediction is that all foreign airlines (except for Star Alliance ones) and depending on the readiness of PB2 Pier, three Turkish airlines (Atlasglbal, Onurair & Izair/Pegasus) may be forced and kicked to the New Airport by end-May 2019. The said foreign airlines do not enjoy much domestic connections. TK (which has the extensive domestic network and connections) and Star Alliance member airlines will still continue and use IST (AHL) Airport till the end of Summer 2019 TT. Now, some will say that it’s impossible to have simultaneous operations at IST and New Airport as their airspaces will be conflicting and running into one other’s. This is partly true but with careful observance & planning and for a limited period of time, it should be workable!...

June 2019 readiness of the 3rd Runway, may be a bit doubtful. However, pls. see my further comments, below.

- A 24hr transition time is being planned for transfering all operations of IST to new airport.

I think this is merely impossible on the overall scale, that is for the entire airlines currently using IST (AHL). But it may be done more gradually, with a smoother transition... See my aforementioned comments. But relocation of TK, “over the fortnight” (on any date) seems to be quite impossible to me...

Now, there has evolved some rumors (definitely not commented by IGA Consortium...) that the present Terminal under construction has an underestimated (or, rather, underquoted) passenger handling capacity. This number has been quoted as 90 million pax/year since from the beginning. Nobody (including IGA) has denied or rectified this. Well, of course, it’s pretty much routine that a “nominal” capacity of 90 million can be forced up to 100-105 million, anyway.

I did make a “scientific” estimation about the “nominal aircraft movements” capacity of the first two runways, based on ICAO standarts. They can handle ample aircraft movements enabling 85+ million pax with simultaneous operation. So they can be futher squuezed up to 90-100-110 million (as it’s being at IST/AHL as of today, inevitably...). But they certainly cannot accomodate around 150 million pax. For this kind of a capacity, the third runway will definitely be needed.

The metroline (subway/underground) construction between Gayrettepe and the New Airport) has started gradually, but they are currently proceeding at the New Airport side. The first construction campsite can now be seen just at the boundary of the land assigned to IGA. However, there are a lot of questions about the city terminating station (at Gayrettepe), regarding the exact location. It will really be wishful thinking as when this line can be completed and announced fully operational. It may even be extended to mid to end 2021. :airplane: :alert:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:49 pm

mafaky,
About your estimation of 85+M pax capacity with two runways; are you assuming they will be parallel?
(First two runways will be parallel next to each other (North/South facing) on the West side of the terminal?
Third runway (East/West) East side of the terminal?)
What about effects of the wind direction if only two parallel runways operating? What are the TK limits on take-off/landing cross wind?
https://www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/istanbul

mafaky

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:56 pm

@ TK787 :

All three runways that I'm referring to are the North/South parallel runways. The single (only) East/West runway is known to be the 4th.

To re-capitualte there will be 5 parallel (or almost parallel) North/South runways when the entire project will be completed. One of these will be 60x4100 mt. (the 2nd runway), and the rest will be 60x3750 mt. The first two runways will definitely have a triple lane structure (that is a 60 mt. wide main runway, a parallel 45 mt. wide emergency runway and a third parallel 45 mt. wide taxiway...); I don't yet have any solid info for the rest.

Sorry, but I really have no knowledge/background about the other questions you've been asking.

renaissance

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:22 pm

How many Boeing 747 Freighter flight for Turkish Cargo last month?
http://www.goklerdeyiz.net/thyde-kac-ad ... -747-oldu/

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:26 pm

What to make of this latest news from Turkey that US Consulates in Turkey will not be issuing non-immigrant visas for the foreseeable future?
https://twitter.com/USEmbassyTurkey?ref ... r%5Eauthor

OA260

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 pm

TK787 wrote:
What to make of this latest news from Turkey that US Consulates in Turkey will not be issuing non-immigrant visas for the foreseeable future?
https://twitter.com/USEmbassyTurkey?ref ... r%5Eauthor

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan 24) – The United States embassy in the Turkish capital of Ankara on Sunday announced that the US government had suspended all non-immigrant visa services at all US diplomatic facilities in Turkey.

A statement on the embassy’s official Twitter page said the “recent events forced” the Donald Trump administration to reassess the commitment of the Turkish government to the security of the US facilities and personnel.

In order to minimize the number of visitors to American embassy and consulates in Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir, and Adana respectively while that assessment proceeded, the suspension of all non-immigrant visas there was put in place effective immediately, read the statement.

The latest confrontation between Washington and Ankara, two NATO allies with strained ties, followed this week’s arrest by Turkish police of a US consulate employee in Istanbul.

http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/989d ... 8346d89773

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:56 pm

And from today's New York Times front page:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/07/worl ... front&_r=0

Tkfan

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:17 pm

What about leaving this part politics- free??

TK787 wrote:
Thanks to all for keeping these threads informative and civil and free of personal attacks/political innuendos.
Last edited by Tkfan on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos