Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Good evening folks!

As the sun is now setting on September, it's time for our tenth thread of 2017. We've had quite an interesting month in Irish aviation!

- Hainan all but ready to go; just waiting for the green light for the Chinese govt
- ORK is now Ireland's fastest growing airport - and Norwegian's new t/a flights proving very popular
- US hurricanes (particularly Irma) affecting traffic; Irma hit very shortly after EI commenced its MIA route!
- Air Canada announces new SNN route, as well as DUB-YUL. Becomes second 737 Max operator to Ireland
- Probably the biggest news this month - Ryanair's operational meltdown, caused (depending on who you listen to) by crew holidays or many pilots (and cabin crew) leaving. Over 140 have left to join Norwegian alone (which MO'L predicted would last another six months). The CAA (note, the CAA, not its regulator, the IAA) has ordered it to fall into line with EU compensation rules, or else ...)
- Trade row over Bombardier sale of C-series jets to DL; US authorities impose 200% tariff; UK government goes ballistic; jobs at Bombardier plant in NI at risk. Question mark over Boeing sales to UK military.
- EI expected to announce its new t/a route on October 4, with PHL now seen as the favourite
- Oneworld CEO Willie Walsh hints that EI looking at business plan to increase A321NeoLR order from 7 to 10 or 12. Level may also follow suit. Also suggests EI and oneworld very annoyed at DAA over delays and other issues at DUB; growth at EI not necessarily at DUB. Expect tough words from EI over DUB failings.

Here's the link to the last thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1372655

Hopefully another interesting month to come ...

OA260

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:09 pm

kaitak wrote:
- US hurricanes (particularly Irma) affecting traffic; Irma hit very shortly after EI commenced its MIA route!

Hoping things will pick up as loads are not great currently.

FLYKTPA

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:17 pm

The article on the route announcement mentioned that another route (besides the to be announced on then 4th) may be on the way. Any idea of what the other route is?

757usairways

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:58 pm

After many years of speculation of EI announcing PHL service I hope this is a true, huge Irish population, I believe that it's the second or third largest Irish population in the US after BOS or NYC.

NichCage

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Hopefully Aer Lingus does well in Miami. Sadly the route started at a pretty bad time (Hurricane Irma) but I'm sure it will recover it a little bit. While not related, LY will be re-launching MIA pretty soon, and I wonder how Irma will affect the route for them.

According to this post EI may launch PHL, nice new route for the airline. Why doesn't EI fly to YUL? I'm sure it would work year round or even on a seasonal basis.

neutral

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Also suggests EI and oneworld very annoyed at DAA over delays and other issues at DUB; growth at EI not necessarily at DUB. Expect tough words from EI over DUB failings.

Are the DAA not opening a new remote boarding area for EI very shortly? fed from T2

bx737

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:57 pm

neutral wrote:
Are the DAA not opening a new remote boarding area for EI very shortly? fed from T2

Neutral, it's my understanding that the main problems are terminal congestion in T2, which will be partially alleviated by the new remote boarding area, but even more problematic is the infrastructure at the airport. Using runway 28 or 34, departing aircraft queue up. As T2 is quite close to the runway end, landing aircraft that are parking at T2 have to join the take off queue to get to their stands. There is only one taxiway and that's where the problem arises. ATC did try to ease this but two incidents where aircraft came into contact meant that procedures were tightened and some taxiways in close proximity to others were closed

JAmie2k9

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
The article on the route announcement mentioned that another route (besides the to be announced on then 4th) may be on the way. Any idea of what the other route is?

Based on current schedules only allow for one route. They would have to arrange some sort of hire in to ops more routes. There will probally be one or two short haul routes announced as well.

neutral wrote:

Also suggests EI and oneworld very annoyed at DAA over delays and other issues at DUB; growth at EI not necessarily at DUB. Expect tough words from EI over DUB failings.

Yes they are.

bx737 wrote:
neutral wrote:

Neutral, it's my understanding that the main problems are terminal congestion in T2, which will be partially alleviated by the new remote boarding area, but even more problematic is the infrastructure at the airport. Using runway 28 or 34, departing aircraft queue up. As T2 is quite close to the runway end, landing aircraft that are parking at T2 have to join the take off queue to get to their stands. There is only one taxiway and that's where the problem arises. ATC did try to ease this but two incidents where aircraft came into contact meant that procedures were tightened and some taxiways in close proximity to others were closed

They are getting worse than FR now, their punctuality is on par with 2016 this year even through an extra million passengers have used the airport. They made their own changes at outstations to address punctuality as well.

MAH4546

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:42 am

NichCage wrote:
Hopefully Aer Lingus does well in Miami. Sadly the route started at a pretty bad time (Hurricane Irma) but I'm sure it will recover it a little bit. While not related, LY will be re-launching MIA pretty soon, and I wonder how Irma will affect the route for them.

According to this post EI may launch PHL, nice new route for the airline. Why doesn't EI fly to YUL? I'm sure it would work year round or even on a seasonal basis.

Miami is back to normal. It has an infrastructure to take storms and get back to business quickly. Irma will have no affect. The only affect Irma had on airlines in Miami was short term around the time of the storm.

crownvic

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:43 am

757usairways wrote:
After many years of speculation of EI announcing PHL service I hope this is a true, huge Irish population, I believe that it's the second or third largest Irish population in the US after BOS or NYC.

Many year of speculation could not be more appropriate! I remember back in the 707 days of the 70s, EI announced PHL, but it never happened. Then in the 80s, they announced it again. It never happened. Later on, with the introduction of the A330, they did it again, but it never happened. In the past 10 years, there was talk of adding PHL several more time, but nothing. Will this be the one that sticks?

shamrock350

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:58 am

Apparently, the next A330 for Aer Lingus is due in late November (already fully painted and flying) but will go straight into storage until March! The winter schedule obviously doesn't require it but still, why did IAG accept a delivery slot for Aer Lingus in the dead of winter when there's no work for the aircraft?!

I guess it's all IAG cash at the end of the day!

MAH4546 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Miami is back to normal. It has an infrastructure to take storms and get back to business quickly. Irma will have no affect. The only affect Irma had on airlines in Miami was short term around the time of the storm.

Physically, I have no doubt Miami is back to normal but the media rarely shows the recovery post hurricane so the last many people saw, particularly in Europe, was downtown Miami underwater. That kind of imagery will undoubtably hit forward bookings which isn't great for any route but especially a fledgling one Aer Lingus, others more familiar with Miami are probably booking their summer visits as I type but I think it'll take time for anyone using the Aer Lingus service to be convinced.

OA260

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:32 am

I don't think we should put too much emphasis on the hurricane when judging the MIA route. It was always going to be slow to start. Yes it has had a small influence but the majority of people are booking their Florida trips 8-10 months before especially families who are putting down deposits and paying it off over the year. Are Lingus will need to ride the Winter possibly with 60% loads but come the Spring and Summer that will tell the whole story and how the route is performing. Are Lingus have done a good job in marketing it and teaming up with various cruise lines and major Tour Operators so they just need to build it up and keep promoting it especially in key European markets.

MAH4546

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:47 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Apparently, the next A330 for Aer Lingus is due in late November (already fully painted and flying) but will go straight into storage until March! The winter schedule obviously doesn't require it but still, why did IAG accept a delivery slot for Aer Lingus in the dead of winter when there's no work for the aircraft?!

MAH4546 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Physically, I have no doubt Miami is back to normal but the media rarely shows the recovery post hurricane so the last many people saw, particularly in Europe, was downtown Miami underwater. That kind of imagery will undoubtably hit forward bookings which isn't great for any route but especially a fledgling one Aer Lingus, others more familiar with Miami are probably booking their summer visits as I type but I think it'll take time for anyone using the Aer Lingus service to be convinced.

Odd because Miami was never underwater. I get that the media exaggerates things, but it was literally just three days off work. Nothing happened.

JAmie2k9

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 am

IMO, MIA was started at the wrong time. They shuld of left it until May/June. It's not like a route to PHL or even EWR where it doesn't matter when they start. It will be successful for them in time.
_____

Meanwhile Travel Extra saying a second long haul route due to be announced from DUB in a few weeks. Could PEK finally happen or something else....

Meanwhile back to LX growth at Cork:
Swiss is to increase capacity on its Cork-Zurich from 9,000 seats to 20,140 from next May. The airline will operate three flights per week – Monday, Wednesday and Friday – running until the end of October 2018.

Also saying Aer Lingus will announce a new east coast/almost midwest US route on Thursday. Not Wednesday as reported already.

http://www.travelextra.ie/travel-extras ... -aviation/

ClassicLover

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:47 am

Galwayman wrote:
The EI uniform is shockingly cheap , it's easily the cheapest uniform they ever had - outdated the day it was issued

Suspect new livery is on its way , green shamrock tail, eurowhite fuselage but everything can be forgiven once the uniform is fixed

No need for a new livery at Aer Lingus, the current one is striking and looks modern. Eurowhite would be a bad idea, a bad bad idea!

Regarding the uniforms, I think all of the cabin crew uniforms at EI look pretty bad. The cuts are terribly dated, the colour schemes on the nose... it is the one thing that really needs a refresh. They're what, 20 years old or so? It's a long time without an update and it shows.

OA260

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:59 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Eurowhite would be a bad idea, a bad bad idea!

If they ever were mad enough to go Eurowhite then they may as well take the Shamrock off and the Irish flag too. It would be most likely the largest brand trash in aviation history.

Skyblue39

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:04 am

For Dublin S18, per Aer Lingus:

Split - increase from 2W to 3W
Marseille - increase to 5W
Bordeaux - increase to 9W
Lyon - increase to 10W
Bilbao - increase to Daily
Verona - increase to 4W
Catania - increase to 3W

JAmie2k9

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 am

Skyblue39 wrote:
For Dublin S18, per Aer Lingus:

Split - increase from 2W to 3W
Marseille - increase to 5W
Bordeaux - increase to 9W
Lyon - increase to 10W
Bilbao - increase to Daily
Verona - increase to 4W
Catania - increase to 3W

Lots of increases in addition to that but also a lot of cuts elsewhere. Will be a few weeks before we know if there will be much additional capacity in 2018.

They loaded a load of extra flights this year and cut them a few weeks lather.

Eirules

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:17 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
IMO, MIA was started at the wrong time. They shuld of left it until May/June. It's not like a route to PHL or even EWR where it doesn't matter when they start. It will be successful for them in time.
_____

Meanwhile Travel Extra saying a second long haul route due to be announced from DUB in a few weeks. Could PEK finally happen or something else....

Meanwhile back to LX growth at Cork:
Swiss is to increase capacity on its Cork-Zurich from 9,000 seats to 20,140 from next May. The airline will operate three flights per week – Monday, Wednesday and Friday – running until the end of October 2018.

Also saying Aer Lingus will announce a new east coast/almost midwest US route on Thursday. Not Wednesday as reported already.

http://www.travelextra.ie/travel-extras ... -aviation/

East coast almost Midwest? Well PHL doesn't fit the bill for that. Is there room in the schedule for 2 routes? While I understand the Irish connection to PHL, personally I think Aer Lingus should be looking elsewhere. AA already serve PHL, not only from Dublin but numerous other European cities where EI would hope to pick up connections from such as LON, MAN, AMS etc. Maybe when they eventually join the joint venture it'd make sense for both airlines on the route but I think at the moment there are better opportunities. We've seen BDL be a success so why not look at underserved destinations with a population of over 1m such as CLE. BA are doing a good job of it with routes like MSY, AUS etc where they now have a transatlantic monopoly

ClassicLover

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:00 pm

OA260 wrote:
If they ever were mad enough to go Eurowhite then they may as well take the Shamrock off and the Irish flag too. It would be most likely the largest brand trash in aviation history.

Couldn't agree with you more!

shamrock350

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Haven't Travel Extra been off the mark slightly with regards to Aer Lingus announcements recently? Most sources say the announcement is Wednesday and it's PHL but we all know PIT was rumoured a few months ago. There was also an apparent error in the Aer Lingus booking system a few months ago which showed a Privilege Style 777 operating for them next summer, if that turns out to be the case it's possible an A330 could also be freed up for a new route?!

MAH4546 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

MAH4546 wrote:

Odd because Miami was never underwater. I get that the media exaggerates things, but it was literally just three days off work. Nothing happened.

This is the type of media coverage it got on this side of the pond.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... s-florida/

We never get to see the clean up or how quickly things returned to normal, the media have no interest in reporting that. That's just the point I was trying to make, the last many over here saw of Miami was images like that, not the best for potential bookings. I know the reality over there is very different.

commavia

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:27 pm

I agree with others that, in the context of Aer Lingus eventually being included in the oneworld transatlantic JV, Aer Lingus adding a second DUB-PHL, on top of AA's existing daily flight, makes sense. PHL is the second largest hub in the northeast, and Aer Lingus would (will) soon be able to use it for extensive domestic distribution throughout the U.S. It seems quite logical that, once this happens, volume on this route will increase.

As for MIA, this, too, seems like a market with nothing but upward potential once Aer Lingus is (finally) added to the oneworld transatlantic JV and can benefit from far more extensive, and integrated, onward connectivity given AA's hub.

eirflot

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Talking about oneworld, is Aer Space dead in the water? I am assuming that IAG do not want to eat into the BA business class monopoly on London. But over the last 12 months I have noticed a solid increase in business class where some routes it is now difficult to get seats on early flights. I think EI are missing out on a cash opportunity but there would need to be a game change for service and standards if they are to effectively compete with LH, LX and the likes

In relation to the DAA and Dublin Airport, the DAA need to spend a few weeks in Zurich and watch how they run an airport, and then perhaps we might see some movement on passenger friendly services at Dublin. Zurich has everything that Dublin needs and is still a nice shopping experience too :banghead:

OA260

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 pm

eirflot wrote:
Zurich has everything that Dublin needs and is still a nice shopping experience too :banghead:

Best spotters terrace in Europe too. Lets face it very hard to turn DUB into ZRH you would need to change a whole culture.

eirflot

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Quite true OA260 and very unfortunate. We had an opportunity during the crash / recession to change attitudes and uo-date the culture, but I am afraid that we did not and we are very successfully on the road to more of the same! I always enjoy a stopover in Zurich because it always feels like they were just waiting for me to arrive - silly I know, but true none the less! And a spotters dream!

shamrock350

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 pm

eirflot wrote:
Talking about oneworld, is Aer Space dead in the water? I am assuming that IAG do not want to eat into the BA business class monopoly on London. But over the last 12 months I have noticed a solid increase in business class where some routes it is now difficult to get seats on early flights. I think EI are missing out on a cash opportunity but there would need to be a game change for service and standards if they are to effectively compete with LH, LX and the likes

Aer Space is dead or at least delayed indefinitely. It appears to be another victim of the IAG take over unfortunately, either lost in the list of priorities or simply written off due to cost. It's always worth remembering that every little investment Aer Lingus wishes to make has to be approved by the bean counters in IAG.

The last we heard of Aer Space was earlier this year when the CEO mentioned they were looking at a premium offering on short haul, "similar to Vueling" which ironically is identical to what Aer Space was destined to be anyway. It definitely feels like IAG put this one on hold due to costs or expected return on investment.

Maybe once One World finally happens we'll see something happen in that department but that's another painfully slow area of progress.

eirflot

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:18 pm

Not sure it is just an IAG hold. It seems to me that at EI transatlantic take priority over everything else, and short haul is a serious loser! New aircraft, upgraded service and a steely focus on the USA/Canada leaves short haul in the cold - the aircraft are becoming more dirty each month, the service, at best, is a hit or a miss and staff do not seem to enjoy any part of the job - especially the early morning flights. God help us but don't dare say good morning.

eirflot

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Great to see LX increasing Cork. Too bad they don't have a late arrival and early departure from Dublin - that would make life easier. Twice daily (every day) would even be better. It is also about time that Star Alliance opened it's own lounge at Dublin - there are now more than enough Star Alliance flights to warrant the investment. Who knows maybe after the new terminal is constructed but not before the new runway and of course only after the current congestion has been resolved. So not in my life time then!! :biting:

OA260

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:19 pm

eirflot wrote:
Great to see LX increasing Cork. Too bad they don't have a late arrival and early departure from Dublin - that would make life easier. Twice daily (every day) would even be better. It is also about time that Star Alliance opened it's own lounge at Dublin - there are now more than enough Star Alliance flights to warrant the investment. Who knows maybe after the new terminal is constructed but not before the new runway and of course only after the current congestion has been resolved. So not in my life time then!! :biting:

Yes any increase in LX flights are good. Still one of my favourite airlines. I would like to see them operate a 2000 ex ZRH and a 0600 ex DUB. It would offer so many more connections. I am sure that LH do not want to dillute their FRA/MUC business though.

Agreed on the lounge the de facto Star lounge used to be the BMI one and then when they went there was nothing. A Star lounge would not need to be that big but where do you put it?

eirflot

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:48 pm

OA260 - if I were being a tad cynical I would say put the lounge anywhere other than Dublin Airport!!! But a good question - it would depend on where the most Star departures were. There is probably space on top of the C gates, or there used to be lounges there - Gold Circle, Delta, etc. And correct it does not have to be large, just functional and smart.

I agree on LX and your timings. And again you are correct Lufthansa would not allow an competition on the early morning slots. The same has happened SWISS at Moscow and St Petersburg - their early slots were lost to Lufthansa. I too am a SWISS fan, having used them and their earlier versions for more than 40 years.

alancostello

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:23 pm

eirflot wrote:
OA260 - if I were being a tad cynical I would say put the lounge anywhere other than Dublin Airport!!! But a good question - it would depend on where the most Star departures were. There is probably space on top of the C gates, or there used to be lounges there - Gold Circle, Delta, etc. And correct it does not have to be large, just functional and smart.

Wasn’t there a temporary lounge above Pier B while Anna Livia/BMI was getting merged in to the DAA Lounge? Is there anything up there now?

OA260

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 pm

alancostello wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Wasn’t there a temporary lounge above Pier B while Anna Livia/BMI was getting merged in to the DAA Lounge? Is there anything up there now?

Have not been up there since that closed. Next door to it was EI crew rooms. Certainly there was a lot of space up there. Unless it is now used for something else.

eirflot

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Yes, alancostello, that's the space I am talking about. There should be room up there and it would mean that Star Alliance flights could use B Terminal - C gates exclusively or as much as possible. LH, LX and TK use them anyway. A long time ago EI had its Golden Shamrock lounge on the C Gates level - but it was a small space and maybe not be there any more

chrisnh

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:40 pm

757usairways wrote:

Don’t forget Chicago. No one else dumps green stuff into their river but them.

LTenEleven

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:

Lots of increases in addition to that but also a lot of cuts elsewhere. Will be a few weeks before we know if there will be much additional capacity in 2018.

What cuts are there?

JAmie2k9

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:04 pm

LTenEleven wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

What cuts are there?

I would rather not say until the schedule is complete, while they appear to be "cuts" now they could well be loaded again in the next few weeks.

JAmie2k9

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:07 pm

eirflot wrote:

With EI upping capacity this winter and next summer with morning and evening service, it may well trigger some form of response in the future.
_______

The area above the B gates is largely empty, if a request was made for a lounge it would be no issue.

LTenEleven

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:12 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:

I would rather not say until the schedule is complete, while they appear to be "cuts" now they could well be loaded again in the next few weeks.

Hardly a point in posting "a lot of cuts elsewhere" if that is your response now.

TheLion

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:37 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more!

Seconded!

OA260

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Looks like Air Canada will not be deploying the 737MAX 8 first to DUB. It will start 1st May on the St Johns - LHR route.

Ticketyboo

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:46 am

eirflot wrote:
Yes, alancostello, that's the space I am talking about. There should be room up there and it would mean that Star Alliance flights could use B Terminal - C gates exclusively or as much as possible. LH, LX and TK use them anyway. A long time ago EI had its Golden Shamrock lounge on the C Gates level - but it was a small space and maybe not be there any more

Is that where, back about 17 years ago, EI had both a Gold Circle lounge and an adjoining very stylish 'Premier' lounge for the TA passengers? It had nice high level views over the apron if memory serves me correctly. I sat in the DAA Lounge last week for my LH flight to MUC and still remain shocked that they spent money on this travesty (some training on good manners for the desk staff wouldn't go a miss either). Trying out Plat Services today, see what that gets you for the money besides the direct transfer to the aircraft.

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 am

Ticketyboo wrote:
Is that where, back about 17 years ago, EI had both a Gold Circle lounge and an adjoining very stylish 'Premier' lounge for the TA passengers? It had nice high level views over the apron if memory serves me correctly.

Yes upstairs above Pier B . You took the lift up next to the pub. They had two lounges. The Gold Circle which I spent many a time in over the years was nicely furnished and during the TATL departures offered sandwiches. The Business lounge had rows of metal seating with green leather cushions and was not so nice.

When the cost cutting came they had just one and mixed up the furniture from both which cheapened it somewhat. There also used to be one near the A gates where you go through the automatic glass doors.

Ticketyboo

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:18 am

OA260 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
Is that where, back about 17 years ago, EI had both a Gold Circle lounge and an adjoining very stylish 'Premier' lounge for the TA passengers? It had nice high level views over the apron if memory serves me correctly.

Yes upstairs above Pier B . You took the lift up next to the pub. They had two lounges. The Gold Circle which I spent many a time in over the years was nicely furnished and during the TATL departures offered sandwiches. The Business lounge had rows of metal seating with green leather cushions and was not so nice.

When the cost cutting came they had just one and mixed up the furniture from both which cheapened it somewhat. There also used to be one near the A gates where you go through the automatic glass doors.

Thanks for confirming that my marbles haven't gone AWOL just yet :) I used to really quite like the GC Lounge near the 'A' gates, looking over towards the original terminal building, they had a moving walkway installed later nearby and you had to double back to the door - it was seldom absolutely packed and a nice quiet space - those were the days.

cgnnrw

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:51 am

I would certainly welcome EI in to PHL. PHL needs a few more int'l carriers. Add a bit more color to Terminal A West.

JAmie2k9

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:32 pm

cgnnrw wrote:
I would certainly welcome EI in to PHL. PHL needs a few more int'l carriers. Add a bit more color to Terminal A West.

With pre clearance at DUB, it's quiet possible D and £ would be contenders for EI ops.

Not really Irish related but it's a shame to see ZB go, they were great during the period they operated at DUB.

Icelandair have added a x6 weekly service. DUB-KEF now 17 weekly next summer....

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Icelandair To Operate New Dublin-Reykjavik Service

Dublin Airport welcomes today’s announcement from Icelandair that it will launch a new six-times weekly, year-round service to Reykjavik from May 2018.

The new service, which will also have connections to and from 20 gateways in North America, will operate six days per week.

Welcoming the announcement, Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison said Icelandair’s arrival would offer customers additional choice for travel to Iceland and beyond to North America. “Iceland is a very popular destination for short breaks and is on many people’s bucket list and Dublin Airport warmly welcomes today’s announcement from Icelandair, which further strengthens the connection between the two countries,” Mr Harrison said.

“This new service will also provide additional options for North American visitors to get to Ireland, which is great news for the Irish tourism sector and the many thousands of businesses that it supports throughout the country,” he added.

“We are excited to provide a service to Dublin, also known as one of the friendliest cities in Europe,” said Icelandair Chief Executive Birkir Holm Gudnason. “Ireland will be a welcome destination for North American travellers wanting to explore castles, culture and have access to the beautiful Irish countryside, with green fields, friendly, English-speaking residents and a rich and exciting history.”

When it launches its services next May, Icelandair will become Dublin Airport’s 22nd new scheduled airline since 2010. “We’re growing the business at Dublin Airport for the benefit of the entire Irish economy, offering more choice and connectivity for passengers,” Mr Harrison said.

Icelandair will operate its new Dublin to Reykjavik service with a Boeing 757-200 aircraft. Flights will operate Sunday to Friday departing Keflavik Airport at 07.30 arriving in Dublin Airport at 09.15 with the return flight departing Dublin Airport at 11.50 arriving in Keflavik at 13.15.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... ik-service

styles9002

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Regarding FI's announcement, it is interesting to note that 3 years ago there were zero scheduled flights between DUB and KEF and in Summer 2018 there will be up to 17 weekly.

Will FI be the only B752 operator at DUB?

JAmie2k9

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:43 pm

styles9002 wrote:
Regarding FI's announcement, it is interesting to note that 3 years ago there were zero scheduled flights between DUB and KEF and in Summer 2018 there will be up to 17 weekly.

On short haul yes, UA, EI and AA fly them long haul.

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:49 pm

styles9002 wrote:

Certainly gone from the odd seasonal package trips on FI chartered by WTG to something we could not have expected. Iceland has boomed from DUB and BFS recently and the fact that FI will offer DUB-KEF( Stopover)-USA will attract many. I think FI will be the ones to really reach potential with TATL out of DUB.

Skyblue39

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
styles9002 wrote:

On short haul yes, UA, EI and AA fly them long haul.

DL also use it on seasonal DUB-BOS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos