SYDSpotter

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 am

An767 wrote:
Flying QF51 in a couple of weeks, So I have been keeping an eye on times as I have a connection. Todays was delayed by 6hrs! any idea ? why. If that happened to me I would be screwed

An767

Probably a tech issue as it was the same aircraft (VH-QPE) which operated the inbound from SIN which arrived into BNE on time.

You have a connection in SIN but on a separate ticket?
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W

An767

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:04 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
An767 wrote:
Flying QF51 in a couple of weeks, So I have been keeping an eye on times as I have a connection. Todays was delayed by 6hrs! any idea ? why. If that happened to me I would be screwed

An767

Probably a tech issue as it was the same aircraft (VH-QPE) which operated the inbound from SIN which arrived into BNE on time.

You have a connection in SIN but on a separate ticket?

Thanks SydSpotter. Yes I have a VN flight to Hanoi .

AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

redroo

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 am

kriskim wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Random rumour I heard today is VA 330 pilots have been conducting sim session landing into HNL in preparation for launch ex-MEL. It was a case of a ‘friend heard’, not sure on the requirement for sim session prior to a new route - however there is no full service airline on the route, and I’m not sure I could see HA digesting another Aussie route so soon after BNE. Not sure they’d have the aircraft if they plan to launch anymore HKG or Chinese routes.

If this happens, I would think it's a pretty desperate sign that VA wanted to move its A330 away from Transcon routes. JQ currently flies it 4x weekly; I personally don't think the market would be big enough for two carriers. IMHO VA would have a better chance by flying to somewhere Southeast Asia or Japan than HNL.

Michael

Would love to see VA do MEL-KIX or MEL-ICN. Will be great to see VA expand out of MEL more internationally.

Have often thought that Virgin Blue made a mistake not basing themselves in Melbourne and becoming the airline of Australia's 2nd city.

Roll forward to today and they could have been focusing on long haul routes out of Melbourne to serve the Melbourne corporates and leave Sydney to Qantas.

Though I think that boat has sailed !

luftaom

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:14 am

Didn't they initially choose BNE (at least in part) because they got payroll tax relief?
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

IndianicWorld

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:19 am

redroo wrote:
kriskim wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
If this happens, I would think it's a pretty desperate sign that VA wanted to move its A330 away from Transcon routes. JQ currently flies it 4x weekly; I personally don't think the market would be big enough for two carriers. IMHO VA would have a better chance by flying to somewhere Southeast Asia or Japan than HNL.

Michael

Would love to see VA do MEL-KIX or MEL-ICN. Will be great to see VA expand out of MEL more internationally.

Have often thought that Virgin Blue made a mistake not basing themselves in Melbourne and becoming the airline of Australia's 2nd city.

Roll forward to today and they could have been focusing on long haul routes out of Melbourne to serve the Melbourne corporates and leave Sydney to Qantas.

Even though that would appear to make sense now, it’s importsnt to remember when Virgin Blue started flights things were very different.

- Ansett was still around, which was based in MEL
- Victoria was still in the early days of its recovery from years of economic doom and gloom
- Virgin Blue was still a small player in the market, and at one point was pushing hard to fly out of Essendon

As things changed in the competitive landscape, along with the benefits of a stronger economy in this state (increased jobs, increased population), new opportunities presented themselves.

It made sense for Virgin Blue to base themselves in BNE, which had no based airline and was a natural fit for tourism demand that served their LCC model perfectly.

Come 2004, Jetstars launch gave Melbourne a based airline again for the first time in 3 years, but even then it was based on a model that saw AVV gain most of their focus. Only once the next Melbourne based carrier entered the scene (Tiger) did JQ shift the majority of its capital city routes to MEL.

Hindsight is often something that shows us missed opportunities, but that often just ignores the reality of the time decisions are made.

kriskim

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:49 am

redroo wrote:
kriskim wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

I don't think the boat has sailed just yet. MEL is now at its tipping point, from here on MEL is about to take that leap in cementing itself as a global destination. Now is the prime time to take advantage of MEL's growing numbers, MEL is at its prime growth phrase and I think VA can take advantage of it, MEL-HKG is a great start.

Just look at new routes and new airlines being launched in 2017 alone at MEL:

Jetstar: MEL-SGN, MEL-CGO
Virgin Australia: MEL-LAX, MEL-HKG
Xiamen Air: MEL-HGH
Japan Airlines: MEL-NRT
LATAM Chile: MEL-SCL
SriLankan Airlines: MEL-CMB
Air Canada: MEL-YVR
Tianjin Airlines: MEL-CKG
China Southern: MEL-SZX

In saying all that, its easier said than done, with the number of stakeholders VA has, it would be difficult to have a main strategy when your various shareholders have varying interests on the routes they want.
it's time to visit Melbourne! ;)

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:18 pm

More on the previously reported VA cancellations on Cocos Island

Passengers on Christmas Island also faced cancelled flights. As a result passengers were accommodated in a former detention centre building

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 4a912bfb78
Forum Moderator

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Parts are starting to arrive at PAE for QF 789 #2 VH-ZNB
Forum Moderator

eamondzhang

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:49 am

kriskim wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Random rumour I heard today is VA 330 pilots have been conducting sim session landing into HNL in preparation for launch ex-MEL. It was a case of a ‘friend heard’, not sure on the requirement for sim session prior to a new route - however there is no full service airline on the route, and I’m not sure I could see HA digesting another Aussie route so soon after BNE. Not sure they’d have the aircraft if they plan to launch anymore HKG or Chinese routes.

Michael

I don't think MEL-KIX and MEL-ICN stand too good chance, especially since they have no connection at either (KIX or ICN) end and both market doesn't seems to be big enough to support even 3x weekly (remember KE flew the route before dropping it in 2012 or so).

I think if VA wanted to go ICN, SYD stands a far better chance. KIX...... Well they'd better leave it to someone else IMHO.

Michael

USAOZ

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
redroo wrote:
kriskim wrote:

Even though that would appear to make sense now, it’s importsnt to remember when Virgin Blue started flights things were very different.

- Ansett was still around, which was based in MEL
- Victoria was still in the early days of its recovery from years of economic doom and gloom
- Virgin Blue was still a small player in the market, and at one point was pushing hard to fly out of Essendon

As things changed in the competitive landscape, along with the benefits of a stronger economy in this state (increased jobs, increased population), new opportunities presented themselves.

It made sense for Virgin Blue to base themselves in BNE, which had no based airline and was a natural fit for tourism demand that served their LCC model perfectly.

Come 2004, Jetstars launch gave Melbourne a based airline again for the first time in 3 years, but even then it was based on a model that saw AVV gain most of their focus. Only once the next Melbourne based carrier entered the scene (Tiger) did JQ shift the majority of its capital city routes to MEL.

Hindsight is often something that shows us missed opportunities, but that often just ignores the reality of the time decisions are made.

speaking of Essendon, if they get the changes they've asked for re increase in MTOW to 55t, think 733's could fly into Essendon. Nauru's Australian aircraft can fly domestically & therefore their 733's could theoretically fly into Essendon, but not 734's as too heavy. Would anyone want to charter them into Essendon ?

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:29 am

VA to reduce LAX services for 77W maintenance

From 17 October 17 to 5 December 17 and 2 February 18 to 23 March 18 SYD-LAX will be reduced from daily to 5 weekly and MEL-LAX from 5 weekly to 4 weekly. BNE-LAX remains unchanged

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/1 ... ce-checks/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:40 am

Qantas shares soar to a record high after Goldman Sachs upgraded its rating on the airline’s improved earnings growth prospects.

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88620247z
Forum Moderator

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:56 am

VH-ZNA on Boeing flightline

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/915812637320945664

For a closer look click on the following link and zoom in

https://t.co/yBijn80hnw
Forum Moderator

bunumuring

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 am

Hey guys,
Its all academic now but in the Kenya Airways thread there's an interesting graphic showing Perth as a planned destination from Nairobi by the year 2021.
I knew that both KQ and Ethiopian had in the past mentioned a desire to fly to Australia, but this is the first 'official' 'plan' I have seen from either.
With the reported issues at KQ apparently worsening, I am very very doubtful that KQ will in fact be flying to Perth by 2021... I see a small but viable market being there for direct flights between East Africa and Australia, and believe that only KQ and/or ET would have the ability and desire to do so, but I feel it is unlikely in the short/medium term.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:05 pm

kriskim wrote:
Just look at new routes and new airlines being launched in 2017 alone at MEL:

Jetstar: MEL-SGN, MEL-CGO
Virgin Australia: MEL-LAX, MEL-HKG
Xiamen Air: MEL-HGH
Japan Airlines: MEL-NRT
LATAM Chile: MEL-SCL
SriLankan Airlines: MEL-CMB
Air Canada: MEL-YVR
Tianjin Airlines: MEL-CKG
China Southern: MEL-SZX

That list is extremely impressive - just look at all of those intercontinental flights!

The only gaping hole is Africa - perhaps QF will consider a 3x weekly JNB link, once more 787s come online?

Another option could be ET, using A350s.

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Its all academic now but in the Kenya Airways thread there's an interesting graphic showing Perth as a planned destination from Nairobi by the year 2021.
I knew that both KQ and Ethiopian had in the past mentioned a desire to fly to Australia, but this is the first 'official' 'plan' I have seen from either.
With the reported issues at KQ apparently worsening, I am very very doubtful that KQ will in fact be flying to Perth by 2021... I see a small but viable market being there for direct flights between East Africa and Australia, and believe that only KQ and/or ET would have the ability and desire to do so, but I feel it is unlikely in the short/medium term.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

PER? No. SYD or MEL? Maybe, but not for a couple of years, and only with VA and NZ connections.

It would definitely be on ET, using A350 or 787 equipment (KQ have too many issues), but there might be performance issues out of ADD?

ET currently code-share to Australia and New Zealand via SIN (on SQ), and their new non-stop ADD - SIN service.

Cheers,

C.

tullamarine

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:19 pm

redroo wrote:
kriskim wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

As if often the case, the reason why DJ chose BNE as head office was on the back of significant payroll tax concessions from the QLD state government. JQ's MEL HO is because of similar concessions from the Victorian government. This is not unique to airlines; many major companies hawk their head office as a way to get some deep savings from state governments keen to be seen to be winning business for their state. It is rent-seeking but it works.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Inaugural SCL-MEL flight arrives today

Flight just left SCL, operated by CC-BGN

https://www.flightradar24.com/LAN805/f1bea8a
Forum Moderator

qf002

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
That list is extremely impressive - just look at all of those intercontinental flights!

It is very impressive though SYD's list for 2017 isn't too shabby either:

QF SYD-KIX (new route)
JQ SYD-SGN
JD SYD-TAO (new route)
VN SYD-HAN (new route)
OL SYD-APW
MU SYD-WUH (new route)
UA SYD-IAH (new route, technically doesn't start until Jan 18)
QR SYD-CBR (too cheeky?)

Every year it seems like SYD and MEL are approaching saturation and then a whole bunch of new airlines and routes seem to materialise. Mind boggling, and most of them seem to be sticking (for now at least).

descl

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 pm

qf789 wrote:
Inaugural SCL-MEL flight arrives today

Flight just left SCL, operated by CC-BGN

https://www.flightradar24.com/LAN805/f1bea8a

Flight departed at 14.10 PM local time, with 290 passengers. Expected to arrive at 18.55 PM, after 14h40 in the air, pretty long flight!

qf2220

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:49 pm

tullamarine wrote:
JQ's MEL HO is because of similar concessions from the Victorian government.

Id say that this fact might be a counterfactual to suggest that MEL may not be as great a place to base an airline either. JQ is no more MEL centric than anywhere else, and maybe you could argue that despite having a MEL HQ, it still operates more flights from SYD?

I acknowledge that the business models are a bit different between the two, and that one is a subsidary of a larger premium player which may change the argument.

DeltaB717

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

PER? No. SYD or MEL? Maybe, but not for a couple of years, and only with VA and NZ connections.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss PER, if I were you. At least one of KQ / ET is putting effort into commencing PER, with SYD and MEL only on their radar insofar as codeshares on a domestic carrier ex-PER.

IndianicWorld

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 pm

qf2220 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Id say that this fact might be a counterfactual to suggest that MEL may not be as great a place to base an airline either. JQ is no more MEL centric than anywhere else, and maybe you could argue that despite having a MEL HQ, it still operates more flights from SYD?

I acknowledge that the business models are a bit different between the two, and that one is a subsidary of a larger premium player which may change the argument.

I think that MEL is JQ’s biggest base.

I agree though that it is not a MEL-centric airline, just as VA is not BNE-centric.

eamondzhang

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

I think that MEL is JQ’s biggest base.

I agree though that it is not a MEL-centric airline, just as VA is not BNE-centric.

My observation (though with no data to support) is that MEL is JQ's biggest base.

Plus they operate a maintenance facility down here. Frequently see A320/321/787's in there for days getting checked.

Michael

IndianicWorld

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:17 pm

DeltaB717 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss PER, if I were you. At least one of KQ / ET is putting effort into commencing PER, with SYD and MEL only on their radar insofar as codeshares on a domestic carrier ex-PER.

ET reps have stated that they are looking at MEL flights. There has been no mention of PER so far from them.

Ultimately, they will go where the demand is, so we will see what transpires.

eamondzhang

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 pm

qf002 wrote:
UA SYD-IAH (new route, technically doesn't start until Jan 18)
QR SYD-CBR (too cheeky?)

Technically QR's DOH-SYD-CBR doesn't start till Feb 18 :stirthepot:

But yes, your point holds. I especially can't understand how MEL can squeeze in so many extra flights during peak hours since we have a significantly smaller Intl terminal than SYD has, and it's pretty much maxed out already during those hours. If any flight is delayed for like 15 mins we'll probably see a lot of holdings on taxiways or bus services :banghead:

Cheers
Michael

redroo

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:21 pm

The Aussie market is hard because you need to offer service from most of the capital cities. The point with Melbourne is that if Virgin really wants to be a premium airline and have a long haul operation then it may make sense to focus the majority of the fleet on one market going forward. Brisbane isn't that market. Sydney is qantas home turf. So should they focus on Melbourne from now on. It is Australia's second city and a with a strong business base all of its own. Their current strategy spread themselves so thinly. Witness the recent MX cutbacks.

Happy Friday
Armchair CEO

F100Flyer

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Rumours arising, and discussions on Perth local radio this morning that Air New Zealand interested in operating AKL-PER-LHR. Would certainly make things interesting...

ZK-NBT

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:43 pm

F100Flyer wrote:
Rumours arising, and discussions on Perth local radio this morning that Air New Zealand interested in operating AKL-PER-LHR. Would certainly make things interesting...

That happened a few weeks ago. Can't see it, and I'll eat my words if they do. Goes against NZ's current strategy and why would they take on QF when they have a good rep on LAX-LHR, they reportedly sold their slots to CX from the old HKG-LHR service as well.

EK413

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:44 pm

F100Flyer wrote:

NZ jumping on the QF PER-LHR band wagon I see.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

mariner

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
F100Flyer wrote:

That happened a few weeks ago. Can't see it, and I'll eat my words if they do. Goes against NZ's current strategy and why would they take on QF when they have a good rep on LAX-LHR, they reportedly sold their slots to CX from the old HKG-LHR service as well.

I'd be beside you eating my hat. I think its nonsense. A bunch of journos and "commentators" in Perth are super-excited about the Qantas LHR flights and are looking for ways to write a story they can sell that gives it some drama. So someone's invented this.

NZ CEO Luxon has spoken about his ultra long haul ambitions, but they are all to the Americas, north and south, with no mention of London. And why should he? There's no benefit in it for Kiwis and it would add time to the journey - nor can Perth provide the front end traffic that Los Angeles can.

mariner
aeternum nauta

DavidByrne

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:20 am

F100Flyer wrote:

IIRC the original printed report was highly speculative, and wasn't an expression of interest by NZ but a suggestion from the journalist him/herself that NZ might be interested. It seems to have taken legs from this and almost become a fact.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

DeltaB717

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:54 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

ET reps have stated that they are looking at MEL flights. There has been no mention of PER so far from them.

I'm not sure where you heard that from, but I've heard PER from both ET reps and the local Australian embassy/high commission.

kriskim

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:25 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:

I'm not sure where you heard that from, but I've heard PER from both ET reps and the local Australian embassy/high commission.

Melbourne Airport has been in talks in conjunction with both ET and the Ethiopian Embassy in Canberra regarding talks about new services in the future.

Well according to ET's own Managing Director (international services), Esayas Woldemariam:

BM: When are you getting these new planes?

EW: The 55 aircraft have been ordered. Many of them are already getting phased into the fleet. In fact, last month we received additional Airbus A350s, so these will come successively in the next five to seven years.

The 87 aircraft we are operating range from the largest Boeing 777-300, which is a 400 seater and the Dreamliner Boeing 787 and the Airbus A350, the most modern one and the Boeing 737-800, the Sky Interior with next-generation engines.

Our network spans from Tokyo to Los Angeles and just about anywhere in between. The only inhabited continent we do not fly to currently is Australia, but in the next couple of years we are planning to go to Melbourne.

https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2017/0 ... ines-boss/
it's time to visit Melbourne! ;)

log0008

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:25 am

ET has definitely had discussion with Reps from Melbourne regarding a new flight

Oh and LAN805 has appeared south of Tassie

ben175

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 am

I have no idea why ET or KQ would fly direct to MEL when PER would allow for convenient connections to every single major city in the country.

ADD/NBO-PER arriving in the early morning, team up with QF or VA and offer ~2 hour connections to ADL, DRW, MEL, SYD and BNE. Yes, the African diaspora is bigger in the East, but why do both MK and SA fly to PER and nowhere else?

Huge savings on fuel, aircraft utilisation and will get more bums on the PER-Africa leg with a domestic codeshare partner.

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:30 am

Qantas is being sued by a mother claiming she lost hearing in one ear after a turbulent flight aboard a Qantaslink aircraft in 2015

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 62fa2f3e0c
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:41 am

ben175 wrote:
I have no idea why ET or KQ would fly direct to MEL when PER would allow for convenient connections to every single major city in the country.

ADD/NBO-PER arriving in the early morning, team up with QF or VA and offer ~2 hour connections to ADL, DRW, MEL, SYD and BNE. Yes, the African diaspora is bigger in the East, but why do both MK and SA fly to PER and nowhere else?

Huge savings on fuel, aircraft utilisation and will get more bums on the PER-Africa leg with a domestic codeshare partner.

No idea - really?

There are multiple reasons:

- Competition: PER already has an African airline (SA), whereas SYD and MEL do not

- Competitiveness: PER would require two-stops from SYD and MEL to most African cities, which makes it no more competitive than SA, and less competitive than the ME3

- Demand: PER is a much smaller market than SYD and MEL in terms of population, and it also has a much weaker economic outlook

ET do not need "every single major city in the country," as you say - they have a new SQ code-share for that.

Cheers,

C.

eamondzhang

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas is being sued by a mother claiming she lost hearing in one ear after a turbulent flight aboard a Qantaslink aircraft in 2015

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 62fa2f3e0c

Not trying to offend anyone, but after reading the article I guess the mum was just trying to get whatever money she could get.

Michael

waoz1

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:34 am

ben175 wrote:

I think your right there

V8CHRGD

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:04 am

ben175 wrote:

Agreed.

log0008

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:08 am

WELCOME TO MELBOURNE LATAM!

Melbourne is now connected to South America!

https://twitter.com/LATAM_AUS/status/916222994439200768

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:45 am

I concur with those saying that it is illogical for the African carriers to be looking anywhere other than Perth. I cannot come up with a single reason to fly to the East Coast, when both the African population and demand to Africa is disproportionately skewed to Western Australia. The market from the East Coast to almost anywhere in Africa is petty tinyX
Worked Hard, Flew Right

log0008

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
I concur with those saying that it is illogical for the African carriers to be looking anywhere other than Perth. I cannot come up with a single reason to fly to the East Coast, when both the African population and demand to Africa is disproportionately skewed to Western Australia. The market from the East Coast to almost anywhere in Africa is petty tinyX

Melbourne now has the largest African population in Australia

IndianicWorld

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:44 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

There are significant populations of African diaspora on the East Coast, with Melbourne certainly playing a big part in that equation these days. It is now not purely focused on the strongest demand market of the past, which was South Africa.

Even though a PER-centric African network has been dreamed up by some over time, there are benefits to looking at the larger East Coast cities where it is possible to do so.

A competitive offering gives airlines like ET the opportunity to tap into their string ADD hub, with 1-stop to many African and European destinations. Trying to offer 2-stop options via PER is certainly less appealing.

I agree that PER-Africa may have benefits due to route length, but the airlines will go where they see the greatest potential. If that happens to be a route like MEL-ADD over PER-ADD, then that is the choice they make on the numbers they have available to them.

bunumuring

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Hey guys...
I have three ex-South African families who live near me and all return 'home' to visit at least once a year... One family always flies QF direct Sydney-Johannesburg, one flies Sydney-Perth-Johannesburg to use South African Airlines and the third is about to fly Qatar Airways Sydney-Doha-Johannesburg because they will save nearly three thousand dollars each way on the tickets alone compared to Qantas. (Sadly, they thought that 'Qatar' was an 'African' country to the north of South Africa....
The point is that I guess ALL connecting traffic Sydney-Africa needs to be looked at as the true market may be skewered away.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Forum Moderator

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:47 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:

A competitive offering gives airlines like ET the opportunity to tap into their string ADD hub, with 1-stop to many African and European destinations. Trying to offer 2-stop options via PER is certainly less appealing.

I agree that PER-Africa may have benefits due to route length, but the airlines will go where they see the greatest potential. If that happens to be a route like MEL-ADD over PER-ADD, then that is the choice they make on the numbers they have available to them.

That's all good and well but due to performance issues at ADD the many 1 stop options from MEL you talk about don't exist, you will find most of them to be 2 stops at a minimum
Forum Moderator

IndianicWorld

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:57 pm

qf789 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

That's all good and well but due to performance issues at ADD the many 1 stop options from MEL you talk about don't exist, you will find most of them to be 2 stops at a minimum

That can be the case in certain instances yes, but that just makes it worse. In any of those instances, the via PER option could make it a 3-stop trek which will do them absolutely no favours at all.

At the end of the day I am not saying I think ADD-Australia is a market that stands out as a strong one just yet. The market is still developing in many ways, with some significant competition via the ME3 in particular, along with the via JNB options. Time will tell.

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Forum Moderator

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos