Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

OAG: Worlds most connected hubs

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:55 pm

OAG is out with its 2017 on the worlds most connected airport rankings. Airports are ranked by comparing the number of viable scheduled international connections and the number of destinations served from the airport creating an index to measure the effectiveness of major hubs.

Top global hubs
Ranking / Airport / Connex Index
1. LHR - 379
2. FRA - 307
3. AMS - 299
4. ORD - 295
5. YYZ - 271
6. SIN - 257
7. CGK - 256
8. ATL - 256
9. KUL - 242
10. CDG - 242

Regional rankings

Asia/Pacific
1. SIN - 257
2. CGK - 256
3. KUL - 242
4. HKG -233
5. BKK - 226

Europe, Middle East and Africa
1. LHR - 379
2. FRA - 307
3. AMS - 299
4. CDG - 242
5. MUC - 221

North America
1. ORD - 295
2. YYZ - 271
3. ATL - 256
4. LAX - 235
5. MIA - 204

Latin America
1. MEX - 176
2. BOG - 127
3. GRU - 120
4. SJU - 114
5. PTY - 108

Methodology - analyzed 12 months of schedules through July 2017
• Single connections only to/from the chosen airports
• International connections including domestic to international, international to domestic and international to international connections
• Maximum circuity of 150
• MCT varies by individual airport. OAG holds the MCT information for every commercial airport in operation; at any one time there are typically over 120,000 exceptions globally. These are typically less than published MCTs although there are often cases whereby they are longer than the standard.
• Viable maximum Connection window of six hours

Report can be downloaded at:
https://www.oag.com/megahubs-index-2017

OAG does a similar report for US domestic only connectivity

1. ORD 455
2. ATL 390
3. CLT 238
4. DFW 207
5. DEN 186

Report can be found at:
https://www.oag.com/megahubs-united-states-index-2017

=

jetero

Re: OAG: Worlds most connected hubs

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:04 pm

For the life of me I can't understand the measurement.

"Ratio of possible scheduled connections to the number of destinations served"

But presented as an index?

So ORD's measurement of 455 indicates there are on average 455 possible connections for every city served? It just seems strange to me, as ORD doesn't have anywhere close to 455 nonstop destinations. Why would you count being able to connect to 10 LAX flights from a single DSM flight more than being able to connect to 1 HKG flight?

I'm probably missing something.

incitatus

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:09 pm

KUL in top 10? There has to be something wacky in this index.

Lufthansa

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Not to mention DXB isn't even mentioned and sheer numbers of PAX alone tell a different story

mercure1

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Thank you for posting.

The methodology is quite logical actually, in that that OAG properly considered number of viable connections within a time window and also ensured connections were not too circuitous since you would be unlikely to using a hub to essentially head back in the same direction you came from.. (for example (Lisbon to Barcelona via London)

Lufthansa wrote:
Not to mention DXB isn't even mentioned and sheer numbers of PAX alone tell a different story

Dubai does not have as many spokes as a European hub, nor the frequency to make it one of the high connective airports. When you have some flights that only operate one or two times per day that's not very helpful to offer connectivity options.

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:50 pm

mercure1 wrote:
The methodology is quite logical actually, in that that OAG properly considered number of viable connections within a time window and also ensured connections were not too circuitous since you would be unlikely to using a hub to essentially head back in the same direction you came from.. (for example (Lisbon to Barcelona via London)

Logical but sort of artificial. AMS gets credit for NCL-AMS-FRA but ORD does not get credit for SAN-ORD-BOS?

kordcj

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 pm

jetero wrote:
For the life of me I can't understand the measurement.

"Ratio of possible scheduled connections to the number of destinations served"

But presented as an index?

So ORD's measurement of 455 indicates there are on average 455 possible connections for every city served? It just seems strange to me, as ORD doesn't have anywhere close to 455 nonstop destinations. Why would you count being able to connect to 10 LAX flights from a single DSM flight more than being able to connect to 1 HKG flight?

I'm probably missing something.

I believe the 455 number is for ORD’s domestic connectivity operations only. The 295 was reflective of ORD’s international to domestic or vice versa.

mercure1

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Logical but sort of artificial. AMS gets credit for NCL-AMS-FRA but ORD does not get credit for SAN-ORD-BOS?

They would both qualify.

SAN-ORD-BOS is almost perfectly circuity via ORD (only 2 miles deviation than nonstop) per GCM

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:58 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

They would both qualify.

SAN-ORD-BOS is almost perfectly circuity via ORD (only 2 miles deviation than nonstop) per GCM

No, I think SAN-ORD-BOS is omitted from the international rankings because it is completely domestic. The international-domestic criterion means that this does not matter so much in smaller countries (FRA has some connections from within Germany but not much Germany-Germany), but in big countries like the US, Canada and Australia, quite a lot of the connections, even on medium-length stages, may be wholly domestic.

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Does anyone have any idea as to how the number itself is calculated?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Not sure what is so complicated. This is largely identical to measures used internally at many airlines also to assess things such as strength of hub banks for example.

To put it simply, the index measures the number of viable(*) connections at an airport. *Viable being defined within a certain time period, and within certain circuity since for example, you are unlikely to connect at DXB if you are traveling between SIN and HKG.

OAG published two seperate reports - 1) Global index that looks at international connections, 2) a US only domestic report looking at US hub connectivity.

Cubsrule wrote:
No, I think SAN-ORD-BOS is omitted from the international rankings because it is completely domestic. The international-domestic criterion means that this does not matter so much in smaller countries (FRA has some connections from within Germany but not much Germany-Germany), but in big countries like the US, Canada and Australia, quite a lot of the connections, even on medium-length stages, may be wholly domestic.

SAN-ORD-BOS is counted in the US domestic report obviously. SAN-ORD-YYZ would be counted in the international one.

OAG thus created a US hub report to analyze US internal traffic and hub connectivity.

jetero wrote:

Did you download the reports and read the explanation page?

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:10 pm

LAXintl wrote:

jetero wrote:

Did you download the reports and read the explanation page?

LAX, I did when I got the report last week.

Since it's so easy and self-evident to you, why not just post the formula for us peons? I'm personally not sure what's so complicated about that.

Is it the total number of potential city-pair connections divided by the number of cities served nonstop?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:23 pm

May I suggest reading following document for better insight into industry hub connectivity measurements

https://www.openstarts.units.it/bitstre ... i_ET34.pdf

adamblang

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm confused by ATL as higher than ORD in global but ORD higher than ATL in North America. Is that saying ATL is better at connecting points on earth while ORD is better at connecting points within North America?

mercure1

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 pm

In simplistic terms index is a measure of potentially viable connectivity once rules such as MCT, max connection windows, distance circuity are applied to filter out all the non-conforming flights.

adamblang wrote:
I'm confused by ATL as higher than ORD in global but ORD higher than ATL in North America. Is that saying ATL is better at connecting points on earth while ORD is better at connecting points within North America?

ORD ranks higher than ATL in both global and US domestic index. Re-read the list. :eyepopping:

adamblang

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:37 pm

mercure1 wrote:
adamblang wrote:

ORD ranks higher than ATL in both global and US domestic index. Re-read the list. :eyepopping:

More coffee for me, I guess.

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:08 pm

LAXintl wrote:
May I suggest reading following document for better insight into industry hub connectivity measurements

https://www.openstarts.units.it/bitstre ... i_ET34.pdf

OK, so LAX posts an academic article that measures connections by something called a "weighted connectivity ratio" that seems to be an integer between 1 and 2, nowhere close to 455.

I'll take that as an indication that even he doesn't know how OAG is measuring it.

In any case, if it is what I crudely described what I think it is, it seems like a purely academic measurement. So a UA GRR-ORD flight connects to, say, 2 UA ORD-LAX flights, 2 AA ORD-LAX flights, a VX ORD-LAX flight, and an NK ORD-LAX flight such that the "average city" connected to ORD has 455 domestic city-pair (well scheduled city-pair--as city-pairs can be counted more than once--connecting opportunities. If that's what it's measuring, I really fail to see the point. Take it to DEN, with F9 and WN, who don't interline (at least I don't think F9 does), it's even more academic.

But if I'm missing something, by all means, I'd love to know how it's actually measured.

MalevTU134

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 pm

No IST even among EMEA top 5? Sounds incredible...

lavalampluva

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Wouldn't JFK be on there? Practically every flag carrier has flights there.

Pe@rson

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 pm

IST is 15th globally with 219.

JFK is 18th globally with 195.

DXB is 20th globally with 183.

People just need to read the methodology and read the report. It isn't too hard.

MoKa777

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Maybe some of us are being a bit dim about this but it is very odd that CGK makes it higher up a list like this than IST and DXB.

DXB has many frequencies and destinations. It is SIN on steroids (even though it is modelled on something SIN pioneered).

TK has more destinations than almost any other airline outside of the US.

If this survey really does take viable connectivity into account, how on Earth is LHR #1? LHR is only the most O&D biased airport on Earth...

Pe@rson

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 pm

MoKa777 wrote:

If this survey really does take viable connectivity into account, how on Earth is LHR #1? LHR is only the most O&D biased airport on Earth...

Potential connectivity.

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Pe@rson wrote:
IST is 15th globally with 219.

JFK is 18th globally with 195.

DXB is 20th globally with 183.

People just need to read the methodology and read the report. It isn't too hard.

Pe@rson I downloaded the file again.

I still don't see any formula as to the index.

219 what to what?

195 what to what?

183 what to what?

Seriously for the people who understand and say it's "not difficult," please help us understand.

ADrum23

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Surprised ORD leads North America, considering the outdated facilities there. All the more reason to get going on the Terminal rebuild/expansion.

NichCage

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:51 pm

This is really inaccurate. If I'm correct LHR has less than 300 destinations served. FRA has the most, and it is accurate.

CGK and KUL really do surprise me.

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 pm

OK I downloaded the international report which is more specific. I think my understanding above as expressed in the GRR example is indeed the case (but not sure). If so, I think it's rather meaningless, which is explained by the results. If no one is connecting ATL-DEN on DL to DEN-SFO on WN, I don't see why one would weight it similarly to an ATL-DEN-SFO itinerary on UA.

If I do understand it correctly it is that the "average" spoke has 455 connection opportunities over ORD, which double (or triple, quadruple, etc etc) counts potential city-pair connections. That's fair to, say, weight a busier hub like SLC over a less busy (former hub) at MEM that may have been connected to about the same destinations, but it doesn't do any weighting whatsoever for same-airline, alliance, codeshare, or interline connections that I can see. If that's the case it's rather academic and useless.

But who knows, I could have it completely wrong.

mercure1

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:10 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
No IST even among EMEA top 5? Sounds incredible...

Its #6

TK might serve the most destinations the world, but many destinations are low frequency which result in lower matching flight connection opportunities, and you would not use TK to connect within many regions, for example IST is poor location for bulk of intra-Europe connections which would result in high route circuity distances.

NichCage wrote:
This is really inaccurate. If I'm correct LHR has less than 300 destinations served. FRA has the most, and it is accurate.

:banghead:

Again, it's not merely a number of destinations. Its the number of markets, flights, and potential connectivity based on criteria like MCT, max transit time, route circuity, etc, plus intra-German flights are excluded also.

B747forever

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 pm

MoKa777 wrote:

Actually LAX is the #1 O&D airport in the world.

B747forever

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:23 pm

mercure1 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

:banghead:

Again, it's not merely a number of destinations. Its the number of markets, flights, and potential connectivity based on criteria like MCT, max transit time, route circuity, etc, plus intra-German flights are excluded also.

And as jetro argues, the way they measure it is quite meaningless when they consider connections between two carriers that do not sell through tickets/interline.

klm617

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 pm

These surveys really don't mean anything as different airports mean different things to each travelers personnel needs

globalcabotage

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:52 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Surprised ORD leads North America, considering the outdated facilities there. All the more reason to get going on the Terminal rebuild/expansion.

Just think what ORD could be with the new runway layout and proposed terminal set-up! Could be a real powerhouse if local airlines put as much attention to ORD as DL does to ATL and AA to DFW. Great location, strong O&D, but horrible facilities and just as bad weather (sorry for sounding like a troll from another city not too far away). But it’s market realities and I accept it (no conspiracy theories here)!

Pe@rson

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:07 am

NichCage wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're a plane spotter and OAG is the leading industry provider of schedule data and analysis. You also very obviously didn't read the report - or even the opening post - and the methodology of it.
Last edited by Pe@rson on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

jetero

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:07 am

globalcabotage wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Just think what ORD could be with the new runway layout and proposed terminal set-up! Could be a real powerhouse if local airlines put as much attention to ORD as DL does to ATL and AA to DFW. Great location, strong O&D, but horrible facilities and just as bad weather (sorry for sounding like a troll from another city not too far away). But it’s market realities and I accept it (no conspiracy theories here)!

Chicago can build a completely, shining beautiful new terminal with the same number of gates and it won't make a significant difference in passenger traffic or the number of destinations.

Chicago can build the 30 more gates to the T2 standard and sure it'll grow by a lot.

ADrum23

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 am

jetero wrote:
globalcabotage wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Chicago can build a completely, shining beautiful new terminal with the same number of gates and it won't make a significant difference in passenger traffic or the number of destinations.

Chicago can build the 30 more gates to the T2 standard and sure it'll grow by a lot.

If they added more gates to Terminal 5, I'm sure more international carriers would come in. Perhaps we could see El Al, Qantas, etc, come in after that. But Terminal 5 is not the issue, it is Terminals 1, 2 and 3. All have an extremely outdated design (Terminals 2 and 3 in particular) and need to basically be torn down and rebuilt. I like the proposal that has the concourses as islands with an underground people mover.

jetero

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 am

ADrum23 wrote:
jetero wrote:
globalcabotage wrote:

If they added more gates to Terminal 5, I'm sure more international carriers would come in. Perhaps we could see El Al, Qantas, etc, come in after that. But Terminal 5 is not the issue, it is Terminals 1, 2 and 3. All have an extremely outdated design (Terminals 2 and 3 in particular) and need to basically be torn down and rebuilt. I like the proposal that has the concourses as islands with an underground people mover.

This is not an ORD thread but I shall ask the question anyway.

What airline has the CDA turned away since the inn has been full, for what now, 5 years?

c933103

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:50 am

Circuity is a term which reflects how far from the Great Circle Distance between the origin and destination is the actual routing when two or more flights connect. It is calculated as: (aggregate distance of each flight leg) / (great circle distance between origin and destination of route) x 100

So, for instance, if it is possible to make a connection from CLT via JFK to MSP, that still wouldn't count because that's too offroute?
Likwise a person connecting from PEK via Dubai to most of Northern Europe, or from Egypt via Dubai to most of Middle East, would also be excluded?
However, options like connecting in LHR to go from JFK to Perth are considered eligible?
Sound like the index would be heavily influenced by the hubs' geography and less so by who actually connect there?

jetero

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:23 am

Pe@rson wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're a plane spotter and OAG is the leading industry provider of schedule data and analysis. You also very obviously didn't read the report - or even the opening post - and the methodology of it.

Don't take this the wrong way but OAG is definitely not the leading industry provider of analysis. As is evidenced by this "analysis," and all the acolytes of said "analysis," being completely unable to explain what it means to a layman.

If "analysis"=data dump, well, yeah, OAG is where it's at (along with many others in the industry).

Pe@rson

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:28 am

jetero wrote:
Pe@rson wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way but OAG is definitely not the leading industry provider of analysis.

:D I guess we'll differ. I'm far more inclined to believe a leading industry provider of schedule data and analysis than the opinions of those on a plane-spotting website - most of whom disregard anything that doesn't tally with their 'facts' and scarcely ever read what's provided.

jetero

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:36 am

Pe@rson wrote:
jetero wrote:
Pe@rson wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way but OAG is definitely not the leading industry provider of analysis.

:D I guess we'll differ. I'm far more inclined to believe a leading industry provider of schedule data and analysis than the opinions of those on a plane-spotting website.

Keep on saying "leading industry provider" ... I'm beginning to think you must work for them. OAG is like a phone book as far as I'm concerned--it's a central publishing house. Yes, I use it every day for work, but it's not an intellectual nerve center by any means. (Not that they don't make good money with zero overhead, other than to publish a mindless PDF that gets a headline from time to time.)

It is just so crazy to me that in 40 posts none of those who have commented how "uncomplicated" or "simple" it is can shed any light whatsoever on what the actual index measures. It's meaningful only in that 2 is greater than 1. Is 8 greater than 2 as 2x4 or being the third power of 2? There's big difference in the implications if one wants to build on this masterful "analysis." Surely you get that, Pe@rson.

Which has produced some questionable results (see 20 posts above).

A388

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:29 pm

I've read the report and the only thing I don't really agree with is that SJU is rated above PTY and LGW (as low cost hub). SJU traffic is mainly to the U.S. so it's pretty much one-directional whereas to me a hub has a lot of flights in both directions. PTY to me in that case, is better as they really connect South America with North America, SJU doesn't. LGW is the main base of Easyjet and I can't imagine that operations being smaller than JetBlue's operations in SJU. Other than that, I'm amazed at the connections at some of the other airports, great.

A388

DLvsWN

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 pm

So just to be clear, pairings such as the following are included in this calculation, correct?

YYC - ORD - MAN

The first segment is only flown by United, and the second only by American, and no sane person would ever book this itinerary, but it's technically an itinerary that satisfies the requirements.

There are numerous small (sometimes essential air service) destinations served by one or the other out of ORD that probably add numerous connections to the international destinations served by other airlines but have almost zero relevance in the real world for anyone.

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 pm

DLvsWN wrote:
So just to be clear, pairings such as the following are included in this calculation, correct?

YYC - ORD - MAN

The first segment is only flown by United, and the second only by American, and no sane person would ever book this itinerary, but it's technically an itinerary that satisfies the requirements.

There are numerous small (sometimes essential air service) destinations served by one or the other out of ORD that probably add numerous connections to the international destinations served by other airlines but have almost zero relevance in the real world for anyone.

The answer to the question is yes, and I'm not sure why no sane person would ever book it. With no formalities at ORD it's a pretty easy connection.

chicawgo

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
DLvsWN wrote:

YYC - ORD - MAN

The answer to the question is yes, and I'm not sure why no sane person would ever book it. With no formalities at ORD it's a pretty easy connection.

And they interline so it would actually be quite an easy connection that one would see being sold on Orbitz, etc.

mercure1

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:19 pm

A388 wrote:
I've read the report and the only thing I don't really agree with is that SJU is rated above PTY and LGW (as low cost hub). SJU traffic is mainly to the U.S. so it's pretty much one-directional whereas to me a hub has a lot of flights in both directions. PTY to me in that case, is better as they really connect South America with North America, SJU doesn't. LGW is the main base of Easyjet and I can't imagine that operations being smaller than JetBlue's operations in SJU. Other than that, I'm amazed at the connections at some of the other airports, great.

Some LCC hubs lose points for fact they either dont offer online connections or dont interline. OAG does not count if customer must self connect.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos