Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

West Coast Florida Thread - 2018

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Covering TPA, PIE, SRQ, PGD, RSW, APF

Tampa International Airport (TPA)

New car rental facility is almost complete. scheduled to open in February, I believe

Icelandair has started
NK starting MSY
UPS moving to TPA from PIE in late October
http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f8 ... 361680c6f7

Air Transat begins YYZ & YUL in February
DL resumes SLC in December
F9
Buffalo (begins December 6, 2017), Long Island/Islip (begins October 5, 2017), Providence (begins October 5, 2017),Trenton
Seasonal: Colorado Springs (begins October 6, 2017), Columbus–Glenn (begins December 17, 2017), Indianapolis (begins November 12, 2017),[Kansas City (begins December 16, 2017),Milwaukee (begins November 11, 2017), Minneapolis/St. Paul (begins October 5, 2017), Nashville (begins December 17, 2017),St. Louis (begins October 6, 2017)

TPA traffic 2017 YTD
http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... TSHARE.pdf

St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport (PIE)

Allegiant is now all Airbus @ PIE :x

FDOT awards PIE....Florida Airport of the Year
http://www.fly2pie.com/docs/default-sou ... f?sfvrsn=0

August traffic up 12%

July traffic, 2nd biggest month in history

Allegiant starts 4 new routes this fall:

Year-round nonstop service to St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE) from:
1. Norfolk, Virginia - begins October 4, 2017
2. Milwaukee - begins October 13, 2017
3. Ogdensburg, New York - begins November 16, 2017

Seasonal nonstop service to St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE) from:
1. Phoenix / Mesa - begins November 15, 2017

Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport (SRQ)

New FAA tower opening soon.

SRQ was the only SW Florida airport that had a loss in 2016:
http://www.bradenton.com/news/business/ ... 00314.html

Looks like SRQ was down October through April, but ticked upward in May & June

Elite Airways starting HPN soon. Another new route will follow shortly.
http://www.bradenton.com/news/business/ ... 45677.html

New 1-stop to Halifax, NS
Looks like Westjet has dropped SRQ

Punta Gorda Airport (PGD)

PGD continues growing with G4. I think F9 has left.

Pax traffic up for 44th consecutive month...June 2017 saw a 10% increase from June 2016
http://www.flypgd.com/uploads/newsfiles/file55.pdf

new year-round nonstop service through
Allegiant to Rochester, New York, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Flint, Michigan, and Newburgh, New York, and seasonal
nonstop service to St. Cloud, Minnesota

Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW)

F9 adding GRR, MSP, OMA
http://www.flylcpa.com/uploads/newsfiles/file438.pdf

Traffic in August was over 11% and for the year to date, up 3.3%
http://www.flylcpa.com/uploads/newsfiles/file439.pdf

Naples Municipal Airport (APF)

Elite Airways leaves Naples.
http://archive.naplesnews.com/business/ ... 1711.html/
http://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/lo ... /99791554/

Wonder why Naples failed, but Vero Beach is doing fine
http://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/ ... /96666122/

Jetblue was interested in APF
https://www.businessobserverfl.com/sect ... ing-naples

but the airport caved to the NIMBYS
http://archive.naplesnews.com/business/ ... 9211.html/

PLEASE, ENJOY THE THREAD :spin:
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

FlyerTalkUserNa

Re: West Coast Florida Thread #2

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:23 pm

That YoY change to WK and BA's numbers doesn't look good. BA still carrying the most TATL in pure volume though. Appears the data backs up the rumors on LH's flight doing well.

axiom

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm not convinced that BA and LH are in perfect competition. BA's flight is overwhelmingly catering to London origin traffic, not US connecting traffic. But the decline is interesting, and I also wonder what's driving it. It's still a relatively stable market -- it hasn't dropped below a seasonal low of 6 weekly for years. Any theories?

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Noticed in the latest OAG thread that WK is going back up to 3x for TPA, so all is not bad...so it appears.

flymco753

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:50 pm

TPA is already covered in a separate thread, therefore this thread should include SRQ, PGD, APF and RSW excluding TPA. I don't mean to sound rude.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 pm

flymco753 wrote:
TPA is already covered in a separate thread, therefore this thread should include SRQ, PGD, APF and RSW excluding TPA. I don't mean to sound rude.

Don't worry...we won't talk about MCO-DTW in this thread

1.This thread is also about how the airports relate to each other.
2. I did version 1 of this thread BEFORE that TPA thread

EDIT: To add an example of #1...DL this winter cutting some frequencies on SRQ-DTW to bolster TPA/RSW-DTW

Forgot to add ...DL will be doing SRQ-JFK daily during the holidays, then Sa only the rest of winter.

G4 today announced OMA-PGD

flymco753

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 pm

727LOVER wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Don't worry...we won't talk about MCO-DTW in this thread
I applaud your observation on which route pair I play favorites on. :bigthumbsup:

axiom

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Noticed in the latest OAG thread that WK is going back up to 3x for TPA, so all is not bad...so it appears.

How long is it down to one weekly? I think it's only for a month, around Feb.

Could just be the winter shoulder, or a fleet issue as they start MCO.

peterj324

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 pm

For SRQ, do you think we could see United adding service to IAD and/or IAH or American adding service to DFW? Texas is a glaring whole in SRQ's network and American charges crazy high fares for DCA-SRQ (usually $400-$500 round trip during the high season) with seemingly good LFs so I think UA could add IAD-SRQ and IAD-RSW which is another glaring whole in their network.

TPA has been on a good run lately with Lufthansa and Icelandair plus a lot of new domestic routes. While I think the airport itself is overrated, Tampa is a wonderful city that is definitely capable and deserving of being a major tourist destination.

FLYKTPA

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Since I talked with TPA's route guy and he did a FB live video on air service. I will share the highlights of what he said and I'll recap some of the TPA rumors.
According to the TPA route guy:
MEX- They are targeting Aeromexico but Interjet and Volaris make the most sense for the Tampa market.
LIM- He said it makes sense longer term. Maybe 3-4 years down the road.
AMS- Due to LH's success he feels that TPA can support more service to a large EU hub. He said that TPA does best with a large business/ premium economy cabin. If AMS service emerges he expects it to be with KLM.
MAN- Makes a lot of sense and met with Thomas Cook at World Routes.
DUB- Good option to increase connectivity to UK markets and Scotland.
BOG- 36k Columbians in Tampa area. Route has a strong business case. He is meeting with Avianca twice this month.
CDG- Would work well 2-3x weekly during the summer. AF has no interest in TPA and is happy to connect you in ATL.
PTY- Goal of getting Copa to increase flights to daily; up from the current 4x weekly.
Brazil- Brazilians don't know the Tampa area very well. Views Brazil as a possibility down the road.
Rumors:
Norwegian to CDG and CPH.
Thomas Cook to MAN

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 am

From the old thread:
Here are the rankings for 2013:
1. MIA
2. MCO
3. FLL
4. TPA
5. RSW
6. PBI
7. JAX
8. SFB
9. PNS
10. SRQ
11. PIE
12. EYW
13. ECP
14. VPS
15. TLH
16. DAB
17. MLB
18. GNV
19. PGD

I wonder how much that has changed in 2016

FLYKTPA wrote:
Since I talked with TPA's route guy and he did a FB live video on air service. I will share the highlights of what he said and I'll recap some of the TPA rumors.
MEX- They are targeting Aeromexico but Interjet and Volaris make the most sense for the Tampa market.
AMS- Due to LH's success he feels that TPA can support more service to a large EU hub. He said that TPA does best with a large business/ premium economy cabin. If AMS service emerges he expects it to be with KLM.
BOG- 36k Columbians in Tampa area. Route has a strong business case. He is meeting with Avianca twice this month.
CDG- Would work well 2-3x weekly during the summer. AF has no interest in TPA and is happy to connect you in ATL.
PTY- Goal of getting Copa to increase flights to daily; up from the current 4x weekly.
Brazil- Brazilians don't know the Tampa area very well. Views Brazil as a possibility down the road.
Rumors:
Thomas Cook to MAN

On the European stuff, I wonder if RSW is lobbying for anything.

FLYKTPA

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:51 am

727LOVER wrote:
From the old thread:
Here are the rankings for 2013:
1. MIA
2. MCO
3. FLL
4. TPA
5. RSW
6. PBI
7. JAX
8. SFB
9. PNS
10. SRQ
11. PIE
12. EYW
13. ECP
14. VPS
15. TLH
16. DAB
17. MLB
18. GNV
19. PGD

I wonder how much that has changed in 2016

FLYKTPA wrote:
Rumors:
Thomas Cook to MAN

On the European stuff, I wonder if RSW is lobbying for anything.

I remember reading multiple articles stating that RSW wants UK service. I assume they are targeting LGW and I wouldn’t be surprised if they want LH to add FRA.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
I remember reading multiple articles stating that RSW wants UK service. I assume they are targeting LGW and I wouldn’t be surprised if they want LH to add FRA.

BA specifically?

And if Air Berlin should pull out/shut down, pretty sure LH or Condor would show up.

flymco753

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 am

I don't see why BA couldn't do LGW, or even LH doing a cityline route to RSW, while not as big as TPA, RSW has good potential for a nice TATL route. I'm pretty sure even Thomas could do MAN.

FLYKTPA

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 am

727LOVER wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

BA specifically?

And if Air Berlin should pull out/shut down, pretty sure LH or Condor would show up.

I don’t rember any of the articles mentioning a carrier. If Eurowings performs well at RSW I could see LH getting interested and adding FRA. RSW is probably talking to any airline that will listen about LGW.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 pm

peterj324 wrote:
For SRQ, do you think we could see United adding service to IAD and/or IAH or American adding service to DFW? Texas is a glaring whole in SRQ's network and American charges crazy high fares for DCA-SRQ (usually $400-$500 round trip during the high season) with seemingly good LFs so I think UA could add IAD-SRQ and IAD-RSW which is another glaring whole in their network.

I am very puzzled that 3 years onward from the merger, AA has not started SRQ-DFW. I believe SRQ has incentives for both IAH and DFW. UA to IAD is doubtful.

PGD tops 1 million pax
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20160 ... passengers

CMHSRQ

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:36 am

SRQ needs new management. The only airport in Florida that hasn't grown since 1994. PGD in just a few years went from 0 to over a million pax per year.

rajincajun01

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 am

There was rumor that PIE could see TATL service in the near future. Any update on that? TPA probably has better incentives than PIE, but higher costs.

CITRUS737ROC

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:18 am

Good Evening all!

Just thought I'd drop a reminder that sometime next week in TPA the Patriots plane will be making a trip down for next Thursday night's game against the Buccaneers. If there are any spotters within the TPA area like myself, keep your eyes open!

Cheers!
-Brian

deltadudejg

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:17 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
There was rumor that PIE could see TATL service in the near future. Any update on that? TPA probably has better incentives than PIE, but higher costs.

For PIE Customs will be remodeled starting at the beginning of next year. It should be finished by Spring. With that G4 will announce international, and upper management has something up their sleeves but they are keeping tight wraps on it.

LTU330

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

BA specifically?

I don’t rember any of the articles mentioning a carrier. If Eurowings performs well at RSW I could see LH getting interested and adding FRA. RSW is probably talking to any airline that will listen about LGW.

With Eurowings going to serve RSW from both MUC and CGN I can't imagine Lufthansa doing anything from Frankfurt. That would just dilute traffic on the other two routes. I think that Eurowings could expand to more flights as Air Berlin had no trouble filling 4 flights per week most of the time. What I can see is Eurowings moving their planned flight over to DUS eventually as it has more connecting options from/to the rest of Europe than CGN.

FLYKTPA

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:19 pm

deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

For PIE Customs will be remodeled starting at the beginning of next year. It should be finished by Spring. With that G4 will announce international, and upper management has something up their sleeves but they are keeping tight wraps on it.

WIth TPA being so aggressive in terms of incentives, marketing and air service recruitment, I can’t see why a new international carrier would choose PIE over TPA. Even St. Pete/Clearwater gives TPA marketing support and helps support international service going to TPA. I do envision G4 having a nice sized international network from PIE.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:51 pm

LTU330 wrote:

With Eurowings going to serve RSW from both MUC and CGN.

When was this announced...never saw that on this site.

FLYKTPA

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:18 pm

727LOVER wrote:
LTU330 wrote:

With Eurowings going to serve RSW from both MUC and CGN.

When was this announced...never saw that on this site.

Back in July

flymco753

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:23 pm

I saw it on here about how SRQ is slow to expansion, is this possibly because carriers have found their niche in TPA?

deltadudejg

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:36 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

WIth TPA being so aggressive in terms of incentives, marketing and air service recruitment, I can’t see why a new international carrier would choose PIE over TPA. Even St. Pete/Clearwater gives TPA marketing support and helps support international service going to TPA. I do envision G4 having a nice sized international network from PIE.

As we talked about in the other TPA specific thread, if there would be any carrier to enter PIE it would be an LCC or leisure carrier. Just like MCO and SFB, TPA/PIE would model it on a smaller scale.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 am

Elite announces SRQ-PIT

When they announced HPN, they hinted there would be another route coming....HERE IT IS!

http://cdn1.theodysseyonline.com/files/ ... 3521_2.jpg

According to Pearsall, Elite Airways will announce three or four more flights through the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport in the next year.

hmmm... :scratchchin:

http://heraldtribune_com.gm5-lkstage.ne ... pittsburgh

CITRUS737ROC

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:39 am

Good Evening!

I don't know if anyone else caught it, maybe in a previous thread for TPA specifically, but it was just announced I think last week that Copa (CM) will be going daily effective 7/17/18 as a early afternoon turn. I think the aircraft will stay a 73G while subbing to a 738 at times. More good news for TPA growth!!

Cheers!

Brian

FLYKTPA

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 am

CITRUS737ROC wrote:
Good Evening!

I don't know if anyone else caught it, maybe in a previous thread for TPA specifically, but it was just announced I think last week that Copa (CM) will be going daily effective 7/17/18 as a early afternoon turn. I think the aircraft will stay a 73G while subbing to a 738 at times. More good news for TPA growth!!

Cheers!

Brian

Copa becoming daily certainly is great news. I suspect the next new airline will be Avianca.

CITRUS737ROC

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 am

I would not be surprised if they are, one would think that only good things would come out of two visits with them back in October.

krsw757

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Looks like Eurowings will be adding DUS-RSW this summer after AB left. I'm curious to see if they will still keep both of the MUC and CGN with this addition.

krsw757

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Looks like Eurowings will be adding DUS-RSW this summer after AB left. I'm curious to see if they will still keep both of the MUC and CGN with this addition.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:29 pm

krsw757 wrote:

I AM CONFUSED

This was from the OAG thread:
EW RSW-CGN MAY 0.1>0 JUN 0.2>0 JUL 0.1>0 AUG 0.2>0
EW RSW-DUS MAY 0.4>0 JUN 0.4>0 JUL 0.4>0 AUG 0.4>0
EW RSW-MUC MAY 0.3>0 JUN 0.3>0 JUL 0.3>0 AUG 0.3>0

Doesn't this mean it's being cut? :confused:

krsw757

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Saw that too and was originally shocked as you, but a little further down in the thread it is explained that Brussels airlines will be operating the flights on behalf of EW.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 am

Alligiant starting SRQ

Year round service

PIT & IND atart April 11

CVG starts Apri; 13

http://srq-airport.com/allegiant-announ ... q-3-cities

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180 ... on-airport

Now....I wonder if this does anything to Elite's plans.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm

727LOVER wrote:

...and just like THAT...looks like Elite has yanked SRQ-PIT

With 1-way fares of $199 or more...they weren't going to compete with G4's $49 fares.

rajincajun01

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Wonder if this will cannabilize PIE flights at all.

tjwgrr

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:39 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Alligiant starting SRQ

Year round service

PIT & IND atart April 11

CVG starts Apri; 13

http://srq-airport.com/allegiant-announ ... q-3-cities

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180 ... on-airport

Weird time to start flights to SRQ- right after Spring / Easter break.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

Probably not. If you want your toes to walk on Siesta Key Beach sand....you would fly into SRQ

Good Lord....these G4 fares are low!

LOL...I'm trying to find a roundtrip fare over $200....can't find one...LOL :lol:

deltadudejg

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:37 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

G4 is bumping CVG to a 2x a day flight twice a week come Spring.

rajincajun01

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm

deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

That is awesome news. Are there any other daily routes out of PIE?

deltadudejg

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Off the top of my head Indy/Asheville go daily during the summer, and we drop New Orleans come May.

rajincajun01

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 pm

deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:

Off the top of my head Indy/Asheville go daily during the summer, and we drop New Orleans come May.

That's awesome about IND and AVL. AVL has surprised me so far with their performance. Didn't know that MSY was daily either. Would love to see G4 add SHV and DEN out of PIE. DEN-TPA is vastly underserved, and Shreveport would fill a gap on the map and has pent up demand for beach destinations in Florida.

Midwestindy

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:10 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

That's awesome about IND and AVL. AVL has surprised me so far with their performance. Didn't know that MSY was daily either. Would love to see G4 add SHV and DEN out of PIE. DEN-TPA is vastly underserved, and Shreveport would fill a gap on the map and has pent up demand for beach destinations in Florida.

CVG-PIE is only 2x daily WED/SAT during spring and 1x daily every other day, IND-PIE is 2x daily on SAT, and 1x daily every other day. I think LCK-PIE is daily during spring

MSY-PIE is 2x weekly, so not daily

FLYKTPA

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

I wouldn't call DEN-TPA vastly underserved. The market peaks at 1000-1100 PDEW in Q1 and Q2 and is served by up to 8 flights a day between WN, UA and F9. I do agree that there is some room for stimulation that either G4 or NK could take advantage of. SHV-TPA/PIE is a very small market and even with large stimulation it's still tiny.

william

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Isn't PIE was expanding its terminal?

rajincajun01

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:

I wouldn't call DEN-TPA vastly underserved. The market peaks at 1000-1100 PDEW in Q1 and Q2 and is served by up to 8 flights a day between WN, UA and F9. I do agree that there is some room for stimulation that either G4 or NK could take advantage of. SHV-TPA/PIE is a very small market and even with large stimulation it's still tiny.

The problem with the DEN argument is that how many of the passengers on flights are connecting. He 1000-1100 PDEW is O&D. All three carriers (F9, UA, and WN) use DEN as connecting points, not just O&D.

SHV is small, but has supported Destin service with 95%+ LF with Vision in the past. SHV-SFB has been very stable for many years now. When you look at SHV, you have to look at the number of markets that are willing to drive in (Monroe, Longview, Tyler, Texarkana, etc).

deltadudejg

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 am

Midwestindy wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:

CVG-PIE is only 2x daily WED/SAT during spring and 1x daily every other day, IND-PIE is 2x daily on SAT, and 1x daily every other day. I think LCK-PIE is daily during spring

MSY-PIE is 2x weekly, so not daily

Yeah my wording may have been off earlier.

deltadudejg

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 am

william wrote:
Isn't PIE was expanding its terminal?

Slowly but surely there are 3 seperate projects underway/starting to renovate essentially 3 side of the terminal. The B-side gates are getting and expanded holdroom, that project is currently underway. Customs will be getting remodeled and brought up to current standards, that project will start in the next few months as well as out A side ticket counters are getting a whole new baggage processing system and counter/office space remodel.

deltadudejg

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:

Too bad GLO isn't around anymore. I feel they would have done well serving both SHV/MSY from PIE

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos