Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Northwest1988
Topic Author

Delta ending MEM-CVG

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello all,

Forgive me if this is old news but just saw that DL will be pulling the MEM-CVG route on Nov. 3. This to me is significant. It’s another route gone from the dwindling Cincinnati hub and it’s another cut to Memphis.

What does the future hold for MEM from here on out? Are the remaining routes safe? Will any past routes come back or will it be reduced to a city that is comparable to GSP and only see the big destinations like ATL, DTW and LGA only?

CVG still has a big operation, but one can’t help but wonder if more cuts are soon on the way?

Thanks!

cvgComair

Re: Delta ending MEM-CVG

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:39 pm

I think this is way more about MEM than CVG. Delta has been increasing capacity in Cincinnati for almost three years now and in fact, the CRJ-900 that was being used on this route will go to upgauge CVG-MCI. The flight was killed by DL pulling out CRJ-200's, it used to be 2xCR2 and did quite well, but they changed it to 1xCR9 and LFs plummeted. They did the same thing on CVG-MKE/BNA, but LFs have been getting better on these routes, so I don't think DL will be making any more cuts. If anything, I am sure we will see another boost in capacity this Spring like last year.

As far as MEM goes, there is not much more they can cut. I don't think we will see any cuts or adds at MEM, maybe MCO and/or LAX will be axed, but I think they will probably stay.

Midwestindy

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:45 pm

I am not too worried about the future of MEM, O&D has shot up!

SkyVoice

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:33 am

I would not read too much into Delta's shutdown of their CVG-MEM route. When I was working for Comair at CVG back in DL/OH's halcyon days, the MEM flights never seemed to be as full as the flights to other airports in the region (BNA, BHM, LIT, etc.). Of course, Northwest had three daily flights as well, two with Airlink service on Mesaba's RJ85s, and even one on a mainline DC-9. But, times have changed big time for DL at both CVG & MEM since the year 2000 & I don't think that the discontinuation of the CVG-MEM route now is any indication of more service cuts for Delta.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos