Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WNflyer1523
Topic Author

Southwest announces Saturday Seasonal LGA-PHX

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 pm

http://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/a ... 612519001/
I wonder what motivated them to do this? The flight will only operate on Saturdays starting April 14th.
Both flights are operated by a 737-800. The flight from LGA-PHX leaves at 4:00 PM eastern time and touches down at 6:40 PM mountain time. Coming back, the flight takes off at 11:10 AM mountain time and lands at 7:00 PM eastern time.

Dominion301

Re: Southwest announces Saturday Seasonal LGA-PHX

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Saturday is the only day of the week airlines can operate outside of the perimeter rule.

WNflyer1523
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Saturday is the only day of the week airlines can operate outside of the perimeter rule.

I know that, but I was wondering why they went for PHX. I guess maybe cause they have a large focus city there and they wanna create quick connections to the West Coast? Another good option could have been LAS, I'm sort of surprised they didn't choose them.

11725Flyer

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:29 pm

They have the data, we don't. I'm sure there are enough passengers for them to profitably make this happen? We'll see how it goes.

jfklganyc

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Nah. Never worked. Even for airlines more established at LGA.

Delta tried California and so did ATA. Delta also tried SLC. All LGA Sat only services. All failed.

allegiantflyer

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
They have the data, we don't. I'm sure there are enough passengers for them to profitably make this happen? We'll see how it goes.

AA flew this same route roughly a year ago and they didn't fly it for long, even with the PHX hub it didn't work out.

Im surprised they didn't go for LAS

These sat only services usually don't last long.

stapleton

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:56 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Delta tried California and so did ATA. Delta also tried SLC. All LGA Sat only services. All failed.

Actually, Delta has done LGA - BZN on Saturdays for several years in the summer and it is scheduled to return next summer. Must be working. So why not PHX on WN?

usxguy

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Because BZN is home to a huge mega upscale resort with people who have very very very deep pockets. Even JetSuite is flying BUR/SJC to BZN.

OzarkD9S

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 pm

stapleton wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Actually, Delta has done LGA - BZN on Saturdays for several years in the summer and it is scheduled to return next summer. Must be working. So why not PHX on WN?

High end niche markets work, EGE for example. For those who have the $$$. Not sure if PHX fits that description but it keeps a plane in the air.

stapleton

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:20 pm

usxguy wrote:
Because BZN is home to a huge mega upscale resort with people who have very very very deep pockets. Even JetSuite is flying BUR/SJC to BZN.

I'm pretty sure those deep pocket people usually have their own jets to fly on. Besides, the round-trip fare on DL LGA-BZN-LGA next June is $463. A ticket on DL is more expensive to PHX from LGA if you bought today for the same days. I think it has more to do with Leisure O&D and increased aircraft availability on weekends. It is apparent the aircraft is available and PHX and LGA do have leisure O&D so again, why not try it? It's pretty low risk really.

jubguy3

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm

usxguy wrote:

...and SLC isn't? Jackson Hole?

SANFan

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:52 pm

My guess is this is strictly a test. If it does well, WN will expand the Sat-only LGA flights to LAS and a few of their key CA/west coast stations; I could see LAX, SAN and OAK as likely.

WN has a long history of trying out new routes on Sat Only and if that service does well, they will expand the route to daily. This is different since the routes can only fly on Saturdays but trying it out on one long-haul market might very well drive the service to other markets.

bb

MIflyer12

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:03 pm

stapleton wrote:
usxguy wrote:

I'm pretty sure those deep pocket people usually have their own jets to fly on. Besides, the round-trip fare on DL LGA-BZN-LGA next June is $463. A ticket on DL is more expensive to PHX from LGA if you bought today for the same days. I think it has more to do with Leisure O&D and increased aircraft availability on weekends. It is apparent the aircraft is available and PHX and LGA do have leisure O&D so again, why not try it? It's pretty low risk really.

There's infinite demand NYC-PHX but one has to know to look for Southwest flights because WN doesn't appear through Orbitz, Kayak, etc. searches. Marketing only to the WN faithful isn't going to help a Saturday-only service in an unexpected market.

airzona11

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:16 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
stapleton wrote:
usxguy wrote:

There's infinite demand NYC-PHX but one has to know to look for Southwest flights because WN doesn't appear through Orbitz, Kayak, etc. searches. Marketing only to the WN faithful isn't going to help a Saturday-only service in an unexpected market.

With an asterisks around WN faithful being inadequate. They are the largest domestic airline, so they are obviously doing something right to drive traffic, not going to make a difference here either not being on those sites. Agree with the above, this is pretty low risk. 2 flights out of 4000 daily. There is obviously an available 738 in both markets. There is some market data with AA flying the fight. Give is a whirl.

Super80Fan

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:22 am

Methinks it's time to lift this stupid unconstitutional perimeter rule.

INFINITI329

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Methinks it's time to lift this stupid unconstitutional perimeter rule.

How do figure its unconstitutional? I agree its time for it to go, but calling it unconstitutional is a strech.

jfklganyc

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:16 am

Supreme Court ruled that it is very legal.

WN can serve PHX non stop from JFK 7 days a week...they choose not to.

They will quickly find (as US Air did) that you are wasting time in NYC if you dont.

spinkid

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:29 am

Most people don't think to look for anything out west from LGA, and its usually easier to fly in and out of the same airport.

Not everyone who goes to those "deep pocket" destinations has a private jet. There are also people who have to staff the resorts, etc, who are also seasonal workers.

airzona11

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:27 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Supreme Court ruled that it is very legal.

WN can serve PHX non stop from JFK 7 days a week...they choose not to.

They will quickly find (as US Air did) that you are wasting time in NYC if you dont.

On the flip side they have a large FF base in PHX. AA having hubs @JFK and PHX, makes sense to run all your traffic between hubs. WN doesn't have the large NYC presence, so might as well give it a try.
It is not like if this can be a huge failure, it is 2 flights a week. Or if this is a success, it is still 2 flights. Cool to see the airlines trying new routes.

Dominion301

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:24 am

SANFan wrote:
My guess is this is strictly a test. If it does well, WN will expand the Sat-only LGA flights to LAS and a few of their key CA/west coast stations; I could see LAX, SAN and OAK as likely.

WN has a long history of trying out new routes on Sat Only and if that service does well, they will expand the route to daily. This is different since the routes can only fly on Saturdays but trying it out on one long-haul market might very well drive the service to other markets.

bb

Agree 100% with you. WN, unlike the US3 (apart from Saturday CUN flying) have a history of successfully flying several dozens of Saturday-only routes. Some of their Sat-only services have been that way for years. Both PHX and NYC have big enough leisure components to their traffic mix to make this work.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos