Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jumbojet

Re: JetBlue and FA Union

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:11 am

Abeam79 wrote:
KICT wrote:
B6 is a prime takeover target with nowhere to expand paying substandard wages compared to competitors. This is a wise move for the rank and file.

"nowhere to expand"???!! domestically alone. STL/CMH/MKE/CVG/SAT/PNS/GSO/ORF/MEM/MGM etc
Internationally with current A320's just to central America which is on the works: BZE/PTO/SAL/MGA/TGU/RTB/FRS
Then South America with coming A320/321NEO's and very possible Widebodies in the future EZE/SCL/GRU/GIG/BSB/POA/REC/FOR/LPB/GEO/ASU
and expansion from FLL current south America routes from JFK/BOS focus cities LIM/UIO/BOG/MDE/SJO
Then the hot rumored Europe from JFK/BOS alone LON/DUB/BHX/AMS/ORY/BCN/CMN/KEF/ORK/GLA/OSL/BRU/BFS
This can all be easily accomplished organically, and be massively increasing their revenue portfolio and most of these routes are premium heavy, especially Europe, which can be deployed with the already hugely successful mint. B6 just needs to do build a bolder spine and get a serious order book with Airbus/Bombardier etc and get some serious airframes orders since they are awash in cash and it will pay off in massive yields and dividends down the road.

Please re think more objectively before you submit to ones own M&A love affair one may have.
B6 is at the height of financial prowess then ever in their history. They will be fine unionized or not. Some of the most profitable airlines are most heavily unionized, ie AS/WN/HA are very profitable and also heavily unionized.

LMAO, keep dreaming. currently, B6 is a leisure, mostly domestic airline, that got lucky with MINT largely due to wall street's profits. Once the economy tanks, MINT is done for as is all those pipe dream routes you mentioned above. B6 is a 'play it safe' airline. I would bet a million dollars you wont see a 1/10th of the cities you mentioned above.

Back on topic. As for a B6 union, it will kill anything positive that is happening at B6. Unions do nothing better than pitting employee against employer. That's the main reason why DL FA's are the best in the business. They don't get caught in all the 'us against them' nonsense.

fastmover

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:10 am

jumbojet wrote:
Abeam79 wrote:
KICT wrote:
B6 is a prime takeover target with nowhere to expand paying substandard wages compared to competitors. This is a wise move for the rank and file.

"nowhere to expand"???!! domestically alone. STL/CMH/MKE/CVG/SAT/PNS/GSO/ORF/MEM/MGM etc
Internationally with current A320's just to central America which is on the works: BZE/PTO/SAL/MGA/TGU/RTB/FRS
Then South America with coming A320/321NEO's and very possible Widebodies in the future EZE/SCL/GRU/GIG/BSB/POA/REC/FOR/LPB/GEO/ASU
and expansion from FLL current south America routes from JFK/BOS focus cities LIM/UIO/BOG/MDE/SJO
Then the hot rumored Europe from JFK/BOS alone LON/DUB/BHX/AMS/ORY/BCN/CMN/KEF/ORK/GLA/OSL/BRU/BFS
This can all be easily accomplished organically, and be massively increasing their revenue portfolio and most of these routes are premium heavy, especially Europe, which can be deployed with the already hugely successful mint. B6 just needs to do build a bolder spine and get a serious order book with Airbus/Bombardier etc and get some serious airframes orders since they are awash in cash and it will pay off in massive yields and dividends down the road.

Please re think more objectively before you submit to ones own M&A love affair one may have.
B6 is at the height of financial prowess then ever in their history. They will be fine unionized or not. Some of the most profitable airlines are most heavily unionized, ie AS/WN/HA are very profitable and also heavily unionized.

LMAO, keep dreaming. currently, B6 is a leisure, mostly domestic airline, that got lucky with MINT largely due to wall street's profits. Once the economy tanks, MINT is done for as is all those pipe dream routes you mentioned above. B6 is a 'play it safe' airline. I would bet a million dollars you wont see a 1/10th of the cities you mentioned above.

Back on topic. As for a B6 union, it will kill anything positive that is happening at B6. Unions do nothing better than pitting employee against employer. That's the main reason why DL FA's are the best in the business. They don't get caught
in all the 'us against them' nonsense.

First mint was not a safe bet and Wall St had a giant fit about it.

Second

By your logic without us vs them (non union )
Delta FAs = the best in the business.

But

Delta pilots make up a very large chunk of ALPA (a union) which makes it an us vs the relationship so are they also the best in the business?

These two can’t exist in the same space. Keep working on that theory.

Just because a company has a union does not mean they will fail....ie....southwest.

Jamake1

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:59 am

Back to topic, what was the outcome of the union card count in DC?

Boof02671

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:44 am

There is a reason why the airline industry has the highest percentage of unionized workers.

Ask the former NW fleet service how they did in bankruptcy vs their peers at DL.

I was an IAM member and rep for over 20 years and negotiated at US and CO, Unionized workers keep the company profitable and have a seat at the table and a say, instead of being on the menu with no say.

CobaltScar

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Jamake1 wrote:
Back to topic, what was the outcome of the union card count in DC?

Its not finalized yet, but will for sure be much more than the required 50.1 percent signed cards needed. TWU was slow and methodical with this and required the JetBlue FAs have a super majority of cards signed before they would allow them to take the cards down to D.C.

As for the union vs. non-union stuff: Its a no brainer that Airline industry employees need to be unionized. Why NOT take advantage of the Federal Railroad Labor Act and its end result of binding arbitration? At least that way you have a chance of getting some desired items that otherwise the company would just say "NO" to until the end of days?

If JetBlue wants to be like Delta and keep the FAs one of the last non-unionized FA group in the country, then they need to pay like Delta, stop making the FAs do extra free work like clean the planes, and not promise work rules to placate the group and then just slap a "To be determined" next to them all and years (yes years) later still not implement these "approved" work rules.

Unfortunately like someone said, companies end up with the unions they deserve, and current leadership is having its chickens come home to roost.

Abeam79

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:02 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Abeam79 wrote:
KICT wrote:

Back on topic. As for a B6 union, it will kill anything positive that is happening at B6. Unions do nothing better than pitting employee against employer. That's the main reason why DL FA's are the best in the business. They don't get caught in all the 'us against them' nonsense.

Gee the de facto “I am here just to poo poo anything jetblue does and delta is great” jumbo jet speaks again.
If mint isn’t that great, then why are you touting on other threads that delta should follow suite with the newly ordered A321neo’s ala mint? All the almighty delta does is emulate everything jetblue does just to play catch-up. Ie pulling tatl 757 to put on more mint routes.
If the economy tanks, newsflash, your precious delta will also tank.
You just don’t want the said expansion I mentioned because poor delta will actually have real competition. It’s a reality that you’ll just need to deal with. Jetblue knows it needs expansion in areas that will generate revenue growth. The nature of being large in Jfk/bos/South Florida demands that and it’s prudent. They have a plan for that, will it all happen? Who knows nothing is certain, but they at least will try to execute.

RDUDDJI

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

FBWFTW wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
FBWFTW wrote:
As someone who has seen first hand the dirty, underhanded LIES along with all the breaking of labor law that corporations do to keep their employees from forming unions, I’ll ask the naysayers-WHAT ARE THEY AFRAID OF? Oh right, they’re afraid of their employees having a VOICE which the B6 FA’s and ground guys currently do NOT have. Hopefully B6 will not sink to this level here:
Read this:
https://apps.nlrb.gov/link/document.asp ... 4582282b52
Realize that stuff like this happens DAILY around the country and then tell me you’re STILL on the side of the corporations. If you are at that point, you’re either blind, not very bright OR making 6 figures in an office with a view.
Believe in “this day and age” joining a union is one of the only protections you have against an employer who wants a “direct relationship” with you so they can tell you “NO!” directly and there’s not a bloody thing you can do about it.

Do you prefer paying a union to tell you "NO!"? (Another one crying about the dues... Good lord the think arbitration and lawyers are free)

Unions can say anything they want (NOT TRUE-see NLRA section 8B), corporations are controlled by rule of law (AND THEY BEND THOSE LAWS TO THEIR ADVANTAGE AND HAVE THE $$$$ TO DO IT.) Unions can promise anything they like (also NOT true see above) but in reality, they'll have to negotiate with the company (VERY TRUE-that’s the WHOLE POINT of organizing, to get to negotiations and a fair contract with the company-what’s the issue with that hmm?) Like I said, I've been on both sides (clearly not in a long time) The employees will have A COLLECTIVE voice once they vote to unionize Said thugs will then screw over their members every chance they get to make another $. (you’re WAY out of line here-maybe your shi**y union leadership did some bad stuff-but don’t generalize)

Ejemplo: I was involved in a termination review years ago where a bad employee (who was hated by his peers) was on his last step towards being fired. He was found sitting in the boarding area watching tv (twice) while he was supposed to be working on the ramp. This was common behavior and something his RAT COWORKERS reported to management INSTEAD OF THEIR SHOP STEWARD WHO WOULD HAVE REAMED THE GUY A NEW ONE because they were tired of carrying his slack. During his termination review, the union offered to give away thousands of $ of overtime pay as payment for grievances in return for letting him keep his job(this part is unacceptable and DOES NOT happen in my union) The company took the deal. Talk about a bad deal for everyone, the union just screwed over it's good employees (the ones with legitimate grievances), to keep one dues paying POS member around and the company just let a POS employee keep their job to save some $, much to the chagrin of his peers. But the story didn't end there: A few weeks later this same guy ran a bag cart into a widebody that did so much damage (holes that you could see through) the aircraft was out of service for over a month.

A Union will promise the B6 FAs the world (unions can’t promise anything but negotiations and there is no “starting from scratch” on the company’s side either-read the law) but the fact is, their track record is of destroying jobs (just look at the manufacturing industry where GENERAL F*****G MOTORS PROPOSED TO THE UNION THAT THEY WOULD PAY PEOPLE $$$ AND BENEFITS NOT TO WORK-WHAT UNION SAYS NO TO THAT??!?), not making people rich (you CLEARLY have never met a Teamster from New England) Meanwhile some Union management just chartered a jet to go to the superbowl (this actually happened in our union-ALSO unacceptable and they should’ve been voted or dragged out-don’t give excuses, why didn’t YOU run for office then?) That seems like a really good use of union dues is to pay people to advocate for you.

You obviously didn’t read the case, you really should. I also fixed your post up a little bit.
BTW-so you’re calling me a thug? I may resemble that remark when corporations screw over workers who are looking for a collective voice. You’re also WRONG in generalizing ALL unions because I’ll legit bet you a trip to an A320 simulator that not all unions are like this (cause they’re NOT.) If you’re talking about TWU, then say so. Don’t generalize all unions.
You are clearly a bitter bitter man against unions albeit for some valid reasons-personally, I’d Like to show a few of your union’s “leaders” what a “union thug” really is) and I would like to invite you (not kidding) to one of MY union meetings to see what a GOOD union does for its members. A union is only as good as it’s members make it-clearly those in charge of your union should’ve been tossed out and unless you ran for office or DID something about it (and I don’t mean going to management) you stood idly by which the B6 FA’s aren’t doing right now-they’re organizing and an organized workforce makes a company TREMBLE IN FEAR! But WHY??? People want to work there, they merely want a legally binding set of work rules and wages along with grievance machinery in the event of a problem-so why are the companies so afraid???

I actually would have loved to go to a good union's meetings, but alas I have retired from the airline business. As I've said many times here, unions weren't always greedy and they were valuable in the creation of workplace rules (60 years ago). Additionally, I can see why a professional* group (i.e. pilots) would benefit from a union. Entry level jobs notsomuch. A union for entry level jobs, means that those jobs are going to be much more likely to be outsourced or automated. Just look at the number of mainline rampers nowadays compared to just 15 years ago. Half as many? When unions got greedy, they lost their edge. Nowadays for an entry level job, there's little to no benefit to the employee and negative benefit to the company. Not surprisingly union membership is down almost 80% since the 70's.

*When I say professional, I mean a profession that requires many years of training and/or experience.

No, I'm not going to read some pages long link. I really don't care that much. I will capitulate that companies do shady shit, of course, but it pales in comparison to the shady stuff that goes on in a Union campaign. I had an engineer I worked with at one of the Southern car plants. When the UAW was trying to get in there, they sent people to his house...to HIS HOUSE. That's not thug behavior? Ironically, he wasn't even eligible to vote, but he did report it to the NLRB and the plant management.

Yeah, I'm not going to deconstruct all the stuff you inserted into my post. To be clear, I never called you a thug, but the fact that you used the term "Rat" (who says that?) makes me wonder... :roll: FWIW: In that particular situation, the employees had complained to their stewards (who also didn't like the guy), but they didn't do anything about it so they took it to management.

santi319

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm

It is so dissapointing to visit airliners and see so much hate and bad wishes for airline employees. I used to think as a community we all have in common the passion of aviation and airline business and that would include of course the happiness and well being of their respective employees, but the stuff some people here say is so disgusting, oh well I guess having something in common doesnt necessarily mean we wish the same good thoughts for those that actually live off of it.

Proud of B6 FA, it is scary and sad that they work twice as much as airlines like NK, yet they get worst insurance, pay and benefits...

CobaltScar

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 am

The national labor board will be releasing the results of the FA TWU election tomorrow at 2pm eastern. This is a very historic moment for this airline. Most people are predicting a landslide in favor of TWU. After this only Delta will be left.

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:52 am

CobaltScar wrote:
Most people are predicting a landslide in favor of TWU.

boxeebox

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:55 am

jfklganyc wrote:
fastmover wrote:
KICT wrote:

Really nowhere to expand?
FLL and BOS are expanding well.

As for the FAs it's really 50/50 personally I think they can hold off a union but if they used the same tactics as they did with the pilots it won't work.
Management does have a habit of not delivering on promises while asking the maximum from the employees. Honestly if it does happen, just like the pilots it will be managements fault if they would just do what they promise the union wouldn't have a chance.

I wouldn't worry about the profit part. A contract would be far away, and jetblue is not hurting in the money world.
Unions/employees are not the only thing that drives costs.

That's not real growth long term or even medium term.

BOS get another 20-50 departures over time. FLL has no gate space. Maybe another 20-30 flights.

United belchs 20 or 30 flight cuts or expansion per hub depending on season.

That's what B6 is up against. They are shut out from any valuable, new 100+ departure city at this point.

They can start flying TA from JFK and BOS...and basically make themselves a US Air (in CLT) or TWA (in JFK) kind of airline. But they can't address the west coast. In the year 2020, I don't see how a US airline thrives like that.

I really can't take anything you say very seriously. I don't think you've ever given JetBlue much credit in any of your posts. It doesn't matter how positive the news is, you'll spin it.

KICT

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:35 am

Of the cities mentioned, there's really only one region with an "opening" of sorts given the past decade of merger mania.
AirTran ran, essentially, a hub operation from Newport News - and from most accounts it was successful for two reasons: the local demand was large (small?) enough to meet the demand of the Hampton Roads area to both the Northeast and to beach destinations in Florida, mostly due to its location.
JetBlue + PHF? Thoughts?

CobaltScar

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Congratulations to all the Flight Attendants of jetBlue on their newly unionized status!!!!

Yes to representation 2661 66%

No to representation 1387 34%

88 percent of eligible voters voted.

cessna2

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Congratulations to all the Flight Attendants of jetBlue on their newly unionized status!!!!

Way to go jetBlue!!! Delta flight attendants will be next!

WaywardMemphian

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 pm

fastmover wrote:
KICT wrote:

Really nowhere to expand?
FLL and BOS are expanding well.

As for the FAs it's really 50/50 personally I think they can hold off a union but if they used the same tactics as they did with the pilots it won't work.
Management does have a habit of not delivering on promises while asking the maximum from the employees. Honestly if it does happen, just like the pilots it will be managements fault if they would just do what they promise the union wouldn't have a chance.

I wouldn't worry about the profit part. A contract would be far away, and jetblue is not hurting in the money world.
Unions/employees are not the only thing that drives costs.

Still wonder why they haven't added MEM to BOS.FLL and even JFK for that matter. None have daily(FLL and G4) or service at all (JFK, BOS) It's sitting there on a platter for them since the dehub. Are the 76 seatersthat horrible performing they can't make a market with over a 100 pdew and no directs work? If so, they should have the CS or E2 order on speed dail.
Last edited by WaywardMemphian on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm

cessna2 wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

Let's see what wages B6's union gets FAs (and then compare then to non-unionized Delta for kicks).

flyboy80

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
cessna2 wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

Let's see what wages B6's union gets FAs (and then compare then to non-unionized Delta for kicks).

Is it really a comparison between a company like Delta and Jetblue? Delta is a far more established, secure and successful enterprise than Jetblue, and their flight attendants are trained on far more equipment types and their overall job performance is different, Jetblue is a domestic airline and Delta is a global legacy carrier. Wouldn't this mean Delta Flight Attendants would stand to be paid higher wages regardless of union status vs a carrier of Jetblue stature?

scoping2008

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
cessna2 wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

I don't think even jetBlue FAs expect to get Delta's pay scale. But, that's really missing the point. When they get a contract, jetBlue FAs will have substantially better pay scales and far better work rules than they currently enjoy. 66% "Yes" is a blowout and should be viewed as a condemnation of how management has dealt with this work group.

CobaltScar

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 pm

scoping2008 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

I don't think even jetBlue FAs expect to get Delta's pay scale. But, that's really missing the point. When they get a contract, jetBlue FAs will have substantially better pay scales and far better work rules than they currently enjoy. 66% "Yes" is a blowout and should be viewed as a condemnation of how management has dealt with this work group.

Absolutely.

jumbojet

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 pm

Good for the flight attendants, I guess. Not sure if they are really expecting some massive pay raise now but if they are, no doubt they will be disappointed. The one group that loses in all of this however, are the passengers.

Super80Fan
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm glad they went with TWU and not AFA.

DDR

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Good for the flight attendants, I guess. Not sure if they are really expecting some massive pay raise now but if they are, no doubt they will be disappointed. The one group that loses in all of this however, are the passengers.

Hey jumbo, why do you say the passengers will lose in this?

Etheereal

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:00 pm

KICT wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Man are you spot on! 100% accurate assessment.

B6's fate was sealed once they lost out to AS regarding VX. B6 is cornered, and they know it. They're about to get "AirTran'd"; by who, is anyone's guess, although I have my suspicions. Hint: it's an airline without a NYC hub.

United?

airbazar

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 pm

scoping2008 wrote:

What makes you think that?
It's a free market economy. They will get paid what the market can bare or in B6's case, what their customers are willing to pay or B6 will end up in bankruptcy and the FA's out of a job.

scoping2008

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 pm

airbazar wrote:
scoping2008 wrote:

What makes you think that?
It's a free market economy. They will get paid what the market can bare or in B6's case, what their customers are willing to pay or B6 will end up in bankruptcy and the FA's out of a job.

The facts make me think that.

Every carrier where flight attendants have unionized end up with better pay and better work rules. Why do you think flight attendants at all all major carriers, with the exception of Delta, have voted in favor of union representation? The end result is that they end up better off than they were before.

You may not like unions. You may have your issues with unions. But, 2 out of 3 jetBlue flight attendants want one and you should respect that.

Etheereal

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:10 am

DDR wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Hey jumbo, why do you say the passengers will lose in this?

Most likely management will compensate with increasing fares to offset costs of unionizing.

fastmover

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:52 am

This is not doom and gloom. Jetblue leadership in a way just took employees for granted. There is all of this talk about culture but it goes one way not the other. Look I like jetblue but the executive team owns this as well as the pilot vote. Actions have consequences and this is what happens when the higher ups are no longer in touch with the employees. Having said that it’s not like this is the end of jetblue just a new chapter. If the ELTwas smart they would own it and move on with the airline,

Boof02671

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:21 am

There is a reason why the Airline Industry has one of the highest percentage of unionized workers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos