Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA940
Topic Author

Aegean evaluating A320neo and 737 MAX

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Looks like Aegean is looking into the next-gen NB's as it's own A320 fleet reaches 10 years of age. Neo would make more sense, but considering the competition in Greece and their financial status, they could very well go for the MAX.

Earlier this year, Aegean Airlines talked of an important longer term fleet decision to be made in 2017, or early 2018, since the majority of Aegean's leases will need to be replaced between 2019 and 2023. It issued a tender for the supply of 45-60 narrowbody jets earlier this summer.

Aegean currently operates Airbus narrowbodies, but is equally evaluating the new generation A320neo family and Boeing 737MAX. A decision is expected before the end of 2017. It will continue to use operating leases as its preferred means of funding aircraft acquisitions, and believes that lessors have ample capacity to place.

Full article: https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... bus-369540

ikolkyo

Re: Aegean evaluating A320neo and 737 MAX

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Just gonna be another neo order.

StudiodeKadent

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 pm

ikolkyo wrote:

That's probably the likely outcome. Lower switching costs. Yes, the seat costs are slightly higher vs the 737-8 (which is admittedly a bigger jet) but so many European airlines are going A320neo already its no big deal. And the A321 has more commonality with the A320 than the 737-10 has with the 737-8. And Airbus has that whole shortfield kit for the A320neo which may allow more flexibility airport-wise.

[This is not to be construed as suggesting the 737 MAX is bad. Its not bad. Its very very nice and capable. It just may not be the best choice of Aegean in particular]

eamondzhang

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Sounds like a no-brainer neo order to me.

However I certainly hope Airbus' sales team get their acts order and don't waste another perfect opportunity. Since Leahy's imminent retirement they seems to be in a mess and is losing focus on sales, therefore getting a lot of existing customers defecting to other manufacturers unnecessary (Like others I'm not saying Boeing's bad, but some like AC would certainly make more sense to order neo than MAX). They certainly need something good for the year.

Michael

Polot

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm

eamondzhang wrote:

However I certainly hope Airbus' sales team get their acts order and don't waste another perfect opportunity. Since Leahy's imminent retirement they seems to be in a mess and is losing focus on sales, therefore getting a lot of existing customers defecting to other manufacturers unnecessary (Like others I'm not saying Boeing's bad, but some like AC would certainly make more sense to order neo than MAX). They certainly need something good for the year.

Michael

It sounds to me like Aegean is not interested in placing a direct order with Boeing/Airbus but rather shopping lessors to see who can give them the best deal from their large Neo/Max holdings.

ahmetdouas

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

It will be the NEO for sure. No way will they train all their pilots for 737 type ratings or even their engineers to be familiarized. In fact an Aegean Co-Pilot that's a friend of mine told me the 737 is a piece of s*** = ))))

Mind you, I disagree with him!

OA940
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Polot wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

It sounds to me like Aegean is not interested in placing a direct order with Boeing/Airbus but rather shopping lessors to see who can give them the best deal from their large Neo/Max holdings.

Considering that A3 still has some room to expand, and the fact that they're not in the best financial situation, they will probably go for cheaper solutions for around 55 a/c I'd say.

jbs2886

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm

StudiodeKadent wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

That's probably the likely outcome. Lower switching costs. Yes, the seat costs are slightly higher vs the 737-8 (which is admittedly a bigger jet) but so many European airlines are going A320neo already its no big deal. And the A321 has more commonality with the A320 than the 737-10 has with the 737-8. And Airbus has that whole shortfield kit for the A320neo which may allow more flexibility airport-wise.

[This is not to be construed as suggesting the 737 MAX is bad. Its not bad. Its very very nice and capable. It just may not be the best choice of Aegean in particular]

Often Boeing (or Airbus) will pay for the costs in switching. While the neo probably has the better chance, I wouldn't rule out the 737MAX, I suspect Boeing would like another airline to switch.

Also, the 737-7MAX is very similar in size to the A320neo and, if anything like the 737-700, it can handle short fields most effectively.

OA412

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:14 pm

I agree with those saying it's likely to be a NEO order. 737 is certainly not out of the question; after all, A3 started out flying the 737. However, those were Classics, not NGs, so I'm not sure they'd be willing to go to the expense of the bringing their pilots up to speed on the MAX.

OA940
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:08 pm

OA412 wrote:
I agree with those saying it's likely to be a NEO order. 737 is certainly not out of the question; after all, A3 started out flying the 737. However, those were Classics, not NGs, so I'm not sure they'd be willing to go to the expense of the bringing their pilots up to speed on the MAX.

I'd say so as well if we were talking for someone else, but keep in mind that the Airbuses were introduced in 2007, when they operated the 737 Classics and RJ100's (maybe the ATR-72 as well, though I'm not sure) and they got their staff trained for an entirely new type to replace 3 types, so the MAX is quite the possibility, especially if they get a good price. However, it's more likely they're ordering the neo. Their A320's are still new (-ish), so they could sell them and get a few more aircraft though.

OA260

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Airbus already has it ... case closed. ;).

OlympicATH

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

OA260 wrote:
Airbus already has it ... case closed. ;).

Source?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos