Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trexel94
Topic Author

Weak bookings for Edelweiss Denver flights?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Although it doesn't directly state it, this Denver blog post implies that reservations for the up coming non-stop Edelweiss flights between Denver and Zurich have been weaker than expected. Its not a good sign when the airport director has to practically beg people to book flights although the Edelweiss CCO seems more confident. I sincerely hope its because the inaugural flight isn't until next June (too far out high amounts of reservations) and not because too few people are interested in the service.

Then again, the cheapest economy tickets for the flight are almost $2000, you can fly premium economy for less than that so perhaps lowering the prices or offering a promotional sale might help. What do you guys think? Are Lufthansa flights cutting into reservations? Overpriced tickets? Not enough commercial or tourist ties or is it simply too early to judge? This is one route I greatly want to see succeed.

Link to post: https://www.denverite.com/why-denver-in ... and-42844/

amadorE175

Re: Weak bookings for Edelweiss Denver flights?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 pm

The SAN-ZRH WK flight had weak bookings for the June and July (the first months of this summer's seasonal service). It's expected to pick up for August. I think Edelweiss' website doesn't help with trying to book flights to ZRH since you can't book a trip that starts outside of ZRH on the Edelweiss website. You can go to Swiss' site to do it (and they provide a link on the WK website) but it's a strange arrangement. I reached out to them about why it works that way but haven't heard back yet.

Of course, those other facts you cite (LH, price, etc.) are likely stronger factors but the webiste issue isn't helping.

trexel94
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
The SAN-ZRH WK flight had weak bookings for the June and July (the first months of this summer's seasonal service). It's expected to pick up for August. I think Edelweiss' website doesn't help with trying to book flights to ZRH since you can't book a trip that starts outside of ZRH on the Edelweiss website. You can go to Swiss' site to do it (and they provide a link on the WK website) but it's a strange arrangement. I reached out to them about why it works that way but haven't heard back yet.

Of course, those other facts you cite (LH, price, etc.) are likely stronger factors but the webiste issue isn't helping.

Right, it appears WK is off to a poor start so hopefully bookings will pick up. Would it have been better if SWISS mainline served the route instead and with perhaps more frequency? Better alignment with * A mileage and UA (you cant book codeshare WK flights on UA website ether) , more appeal to business travelers and a streamlined reservation system with opportunities for connecting traffic.

amadorE175

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:53 am

trexel94 wrote:
amadorE175 wrote:

Right, it appears WK is off to a poor start so hopefully bookings will pick up. Would it have been better if SWISS mainline served the route instead and with perhaps more frequency? Better alignment with * A mileage and UA (you cant book codeshare WK flights on UA website ether) , more appeal to business travelers and a streamlined reservation system with opportunities for connecting traffic.

I'm not sure having SWISS fly the route would be the way to go since their aircraft are so premium heavy. As far as I know, you can earn miles on United (and probably SWISS) when flying WK but only if the flights are booked on United's website. I get that WK is supposed to be a Swiss leisure airline but there are folks outside of ZRH who'd love some leisure in Switzerland.

Flyingstump

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:03 am

"then again, the cheapest economy tickets for the flight are almost $2000"

Whenever I have tried to book TPA-ZRH RT, the fares have always been significantly higher than flying TPA-ZRH on another airline. And fares also seem to be MUCH lowered when trying to book ZRH-TPA. It seems that WK focuses more on attracting European customers to book the route than Americans. For what reasons I do not know.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos