Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kcaviation
Topic Author

British Airways coming to MCI?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi all, new user.

Kansas City is now the largest market without a Europe flight. I've heard many people say that KC could get British Airways next year. Any thoughts?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected airport code

787fan8

Re: British Airways coming to KCI?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum kcaviation!
I think it would be great to see BA start MCI, but keep in mind that STL is also a close contender for BA as well, so it might be a tight race between the two.

Midwestindy

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:35 pm

787fan8 wrote:
I think it would be great to see BA start MCI, but keep in mind that STL is also a close contender for BA as well, so it might be a tight race between the two.

Throw in CMH as well....

KCaviator

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Not gonna happen without a new terminal, and even then I don't see it happening.

Sooner787

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:41 pm

With all the tech companies there, wouldn't surprised me if they launched a route with a 788

sw733

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:42 pm

I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I'd love to be wrong since I am a regular BA flyer who has to go via ORD or DFW, but...let's be realistic here.

Jshank83

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm

MCI will get one of the LCC's first in my opinion. Maybe one through Iceland.

blhp68

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 pm

sw733 wrote:
I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I'd love to be wrong since I am a regular BA flyer who has to go via ORD or DFW, but...let's be realistic here.

Are you a KC resident..just curious..

I think MCI gets a LCC to Europe before BA. I agree with sw733, I hope I am wrong but have to be real.

lavalampluva

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:49 pm

sw733 wrote:

It would make more sense if MCI were a hub. But today it is just as easy to get to ORD, DFW, or elsewhere to connect to international flights.

Midwestindy

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:49 pm

sw733 wrote:
    KCaviator wrote:
    Not gonna happen without a new terminal, and even then I don't see it happening.

Oh ye of little faith, the new terminal (if approved) won't even be done for 5-10 years. You don't think MCI will get BA by then?

Jshank83

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
    sw733 wrote:
    KCaviator wrote:

Oh ye of little faith, the new terminal (if approved) won't even be done for 5-10 years. You don't think MCI will get BA by then?

I don't think they will have BA by then. I personally think DL is more likely than BA at MCI. AA is cutting NYC and LAX. I can't see them having a BA route when they can't even support AA to those 2 cities.

oldannyboy

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Don't think so. Not for the time being. I would think other airports in the US are a bigger priority for BA?..CMH is one that I think has been mentioned...
    And I don't think any LCC would also want to rush to KC.. they have other things frying in the pan to take care of before flying there...also bear in mind KC is of precious little (tourist) interest to most Europeans....

chalupas54

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Although MCI probably has the market, MO is currently supporting STL efforts for increased TATL. They have already been successful with WOW. STL also just passed $4 Million in potential air service incentives. I would expect that to land STL BA or DY next year.

sw733

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:07 pm

blhp68 wrote:
    sw733 wrote:

I think MCI gets a LCC to Europe before BA. I agree with sw733, I hope I am wrong but have to be real.

I'm an Olathe resident if that's close enough

Midwestindy

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:07 pm

After STL and maybe CMH, MCI is the best candidate, so it makes sense that it could happen.

blhp68

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:09 pm

sw733 wrote:
    blhp68 wrote:
    sw733 wrote:

I'm an Olathe resident if that's close enough

Nice! I live in KC but definitely know Olathe.

sw733

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
    sw733 wrote:
    KCaviator wrote:

I'm not going to predict 10 years from now...things could be massively different in 10 years, both for Kansas City and for BA.

KCaviator

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:45 pm

As a suburban-KC resident and an airline employee, I certainly want to see it happen. But like someone previously posted, we can't even keep AA's routes to LGA and LAX. I'm just trying to be realistic about the whole thing.

BN727227Ultra

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:05 pm

787fan8 wrote:

A million years ago, Mexicana flew to MCI three days, STL three days. How about if BA does that? :boggled:

adamh8297

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 pm

If I were a Kansas City resident whose job involved frequent Europe/South Asia travel - I would pray for DL MCI-AMS. CDG/LHR are brutal for transfers.

sw733

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:37 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
    If I were a Kansas City resident whose job involved frequent Europe/South Asia travel - I would pray for DL MCI-AMS. CDG/LHR are brutal for transfers.

I am a KC resident whose job involves frequent travel to Europe, and occasionally to South Asia, plus personal travel to Africa. I'm OneWorld Emerald. I would prefer BA to come to MCI.

jfklganyc

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Welcome to new poster!

Can we change thread title to MCI instead of KCI?

I know local, non aviation people use OIA for Orlando, KCI for Kansas City etc...but on here it just seems off.

DfwRevolution

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:32 pm

adamh8297 wrote:

I've never transited via CDG, but I transit through both LHR and AMS all the time. I don't see one as better than the other. LHR requires you to clear security but not customs. AMS requires you to clear customs but not security. Lines and walking distance are practically a wash. *shrugs*

sw733

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
    adamh8297 wrote:

I've never transited via CDG, but I transit through both LHR and AMS all the time. I don't see one as better than the other. LHR requires you to clear security but not customs. AMS requires you to clear customs but not security. Lines and walking distance are practically a wash. *shrugs*

Well it really depends where you're going as far as immigration goes. If you're going to South Asia/Africa/Middle East/non-Schengen Europe (Russia, Turkey, etc.), you don't need to worry about immigration in either case. If you're going to, say, Manchester or Glasgow, you'd clear immigration at LHR but not AMS.

ADrum23

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:57 pm

No, I doubt BA comes to MCI anytime within the next ten years. Is is not a fast growing area and is not a huge draw tourism-wise. They may have a business case, but STL, CMH and even CVG and CLE all have far better cases. However, I could see WW or DY starting service within the next few years for sure.

nomorerjs

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:55 pm

No offense, but another day and another “BA to ...” thread. Every airport with US CBP feels entitled to LHR and CUN service.

Tomorrow will be another thread about BA to..., just insert ABQ, ANC, BDL, BHM, CLE, CMH, CVG, DTW, ELP, FAT, GEG, GSO, GYY, HNL, HPN, ICT, ISP, JAN, JAX, LIT, MEM, MKE, MSN, OKC, OMA, ONT, PDX, PIT, PWM, RDU, RFD, RIC, SAT, SLC, STL, SWF, TUL, TUS, etc.

ADrum23

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 am

nomorerjs wrote:
    No offense, but another day and another “BA to ...” thread. Every airport with US CBP feels entitled to LHR and CUN service.

Tomorrow will be another thread about BA to..., just insert ABQ, ANC, BDL, BHM, CLE, CMH, CVG, DTW, ELP, FAT, GEG, GSO, GYY, HNL, HPN, ICT, ISP, JAN, JAX, LIT, MEM, MKE, MSN, OKC, OMA, ONT, PDX, PIT, PWM, RDU, RFD, RIC, SAT, SLC, STL, SWF, TUL, TUS, etc.

Heck, at the rate new TATL service is spreading across US airports, all of those places could have a minimum of at least one LCC European service within the next few years.

What a time to be alive! :lol:

Themotionman

Re: British Airways coming to MCI?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 am

STL will definitely come before MCI. STL has a large AA frequent flyer base remaining from the TWA merger. The main obstacle for BA is finding slots at the right times at Heathrow. I would expect a flight to KEF or Norwegian to LGW before anything else. But perhaps we may see a DL flight to AMS and CDG.

jumpjets

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:56 am

nomorerjs wrote:

You forgot to include RAP - or do you think passengers would be put off by its ICAO code...KRAP :blush:

ps I passed through RAP once and it was a very pleasant little airport with very friendly staff.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:26 pm

former Platte City resident, former MCI agent.... I Can't see BA or any other airline coming in international other than the Cancun flights, the FIS area is just too small. They would have to at least build the proposed (for many years) terminal. They were starting to talk about them 7 years ago when I transferred out. I don't know how far along they have gone...maybe SW733 has an update on that for me.....

Welcome to the new poster KCAviation

Andrew
    JFK/MEM/MCI/SYR/

sw733

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Themotionman wrote:
    STL will definitely come before MCI. STL has a large AA frequent flyer base remaining from the TWA merger. The main obstacle for BA is finding slots at the right times at Heathrow. I would expect a flight to KEF or Norwegian to LGW before anything else. But perhaps we may see a DL flight to AMS and CDG.

STL absolutely has a larger AA frequent flyer base than MCI, but MCI does have a surprisingly large AAdvantage base. We even had an Admirals Club up until a few years ago (ours was shuttered along with several others around the US).

sw733

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm

foxecho wrote:
    former Platte City resident, former MCI agent.... I Can't see BA or any other airline coming in international other than the Cancun flights, the FIS area is just too small. They would have to at least build the proposed (for many years) terminal. They were starting to talk about them 7 years ago when I transferred out. I don't know how far along they have gone...maybe SW733 has an update on that for me.....

Welcome to the new poster KCAviation

Andrew
    JFK/MEM/MCI/SYR/

There is a new Punta Cana flight, so we're not JUST limited to CUN anymore ;)

The new terminal may or may not be put up for a vote in November. It's getting...messy. I mean, it was always messy, but it looked like there was a clean path forward in recent months; however, over the last few weeks it has become murky again.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:37 pm

sw733 wrote:

The new terminal may or may not be put up for a vote in November. It's getting...messy. I mean, it was always messy, but it looked like there was a clean path forward in recent months; however, over the last few weeks it has become murky again.

There ya go! I had not heard about the Punta Cana flight..who runs it?

Not too surprising on the politics being messy in KC... the rumor back when I left in 2010 was a total new terminal on the south side of the airport with access off 152.

Andrew

BN727227Ultra

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:22 pm

foxecho wrote:
    the rumor back when I left in 2010 was a total new terminal on the south side of the airport with access off 152.

Andrew

While MO-152 access has its charms (clean-sheet, quick access to Kan$a$) there's a lot of infrastructure at the I-29/MO-291 intersection--lot of big chain hotels (including brand-new ones), the car rental and parking, etc., and access to I-435 east. I got no dog, but I'd just as soon the terminal entrance stay where it is.

FoxtrotSierra

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:56 pm

nomorerjs wrote:

DTW, PDX, and SLC all have LHR on Delta. RDU has LHR on AA, CVG has CDG on DL.

Jshank83

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:04 pm

foxecho wrote:
    sw733 wrote:

There ya go! I had not heard about the Punta Cana flight..who runs it?

Not too surprising on the politics being messy in KC... the rumor back when I left in 2010 was a total new terminal on the south side of the airport with access off 152.

Andrew

It's a vacation express charter. Miami air is the airline running it.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Given the ANNA data, I can see Norwegian trying out MCI and MEM. They scream the MOM as a 788 seems a bit too much (although, there may be just enough premium demand for their Premium Economy product compared to BA layout) and may be out of the reach of the A321LR that will all single class at this point. It should be pointed out that MEM is quite impressive given it's roundabout 4.5 million total yearly passenger numbers. They have over 2 Milian international tourists a year. Seems that stimulating demand for direct service from the Europe side of the equation seems very possible and not be so dependant on the American side.

Jax has Orlando and it's many options including Norwegian at less than 2.5hrs away. San Antonio has Austin at it's doorstep and we saw where Norwegian went. Columbus has Indy, Cincy, Cleveland and Pitt all around it at 3hrs or less. That limits any secondary markets and they have or recently gained international service and makes for closer, larger targets for Norwegian or legacy carriers.

Kansas City and Memphis are kinda similar. MCI has STL at three hours away and MEM has BNA at 3hrs as well. BA would chose STL over KC if it continues to expand in the States. So, that would set up another similar dynamic with Memphis and BA now serving Nashville. I think each city would be so heavily invested in keeping those that the would not offer incentives for very similar routes. They would have to be other major destinations like like you see in New Orleans with Frankfurt on Condor. That leaves MCI and MEM open for incentive backed service to London and they both do have other markets to gain leakage from. MCI has Omaha, Des Moines, and Wichita. Memphis can draw from places like Little Rock, Jackson, MS and maybe even Birmingham. With the right pricing, even siphon from Nashville.

Both MCI and MEM could siphon off low fare seeking flyers from STL if they gain BA and Iceland isn't of interest.

That list of yours compared to the ANNA list show OKC and TUL. Added together and it's interesting. I'd go with TUL because it's between OKC and XNA with Wichita to the north. Northwest Arkansas is booming and growing rapidly with well paying jobs.

Anywho, the less posts will appear because new service will continue to be added. The sooner Boeing announces the MOM the better cause it changes this game even more.

Midwestindy

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
    Both MCI and MEM could siphon off low fare seeking flyers from STL if they gain BA and Iceland isn't of interest.

STL already has ULCC service (ie WW), why would a low fare seeker travel 3 hrs for a flight they could get right in their backyard?

izbtmnhd

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 pm

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
    nomorerjs wrote:

DTW, PDX, and SLC all have LHR on Delta. RDU has LHR on AA, CVG has CDG on DL.

Point went way over your head. :D

Arion640

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
    nomorerjs wrote:

BUR also seems to have popped up now.

727LOVER

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Which market is bigger? St. Louis or Kansas City

I think WN is bigger in MCI than STL, no?

Midwestindy

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:03 pm

727LOVER wrote:

STL is bigger than KC, and WN is bigger in STL than in MCI.(mostly because KC's terminal is garbage)

Jshank83

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm

727LOVER wrote:

STL is quite a bit bigger WN wise. I think Metro populations are around 2.8 mil for STL and 2.1 mil for KC

As of Sep 07, 2017, Southwest will offer up to 114 departures a day to 47 cities from STL

As of Sep 07, 2017, Southwest will offer up to 76 departures a day to 30 cities from MCI

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos