Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lesfalls
Topic Author

Norwegian ends talks with Ryanair on flight connections

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 am

Norwegian and Ryanair have ended talks as Norwegian recently inked a deal with Easyjet to connect passengers through LGW:

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-ryana ... NKCN1BT2GE

I think this is a war starting between the two carriers and could get ugly. Your thoughts?

Mortyman

Re: Norwegian ends talks with Ryanair on flight connections

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:46 am

Happy to hear. I don't think it would have worked well. MOL just take too much space and would no doubt have been in conflict with Norwegian ceo sooner or later. I don't think it would have been a happy marriage. At this point Ryanair should concentrate on getting their own house in order before starting a turf war.

UAL777UK

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:13 am

With the mess at Ryanair at present (cancellations) and a lot of pilots jumping ship from them to Norwegian, this was never going to work anyway in my view.

The spat between these two is going to grow and grow.

MHG

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 am

... and it´s not yet clear who will be the looser in the end.
5 yrs ago I would have said Ryanair is clearly the winner but now things look a lot different.

euroflyer

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 am

I think DY would have benefited more from the agreement with FR than the opposite, it's a pity they're not making it work together. But I might think that FR compensation requests could have been a bit harsh for DY to accept. FR knows it's the largest airline and its passengers are the main target of long haul low cost carriers (LHLC) such as Norwegian, which is less the case of U2, being a little more "premium" and already located in major hubs having long haul connections.
I really don't understand why FR is still waiting to launch their own LHLC branch, they have an enormous passengers pool they could use to strenghten their position as leader on EU domestic market as well as tackle DY

Kikko19

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:30 am

I see the deal could work also in FCO once AZ is gone, they'll have to cope with VY-level and likely others.

leghorn

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 am

This thread title is misleading. It is like a teenage boyfriend and girlfriend squabbling over who dumped whom.
The report clarifies that Ryanair dumped Norwegian, not the otherway around and Norwegian just confirmed it.

Mortyman

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:18 am

[twoid][/twoid]
leghorn wrote:
This thread title is misleading. It is like a teenage boyfriend and girlfriend squabbling over who dumped whom.
The report clarifies that Ryanair dumped Norwegian, not the otherway around and Norwegian just confirmed it.

Not really ....

When that is said it's totally irrelevant who dumped who. There is no deal, most likely becuase of disagrements between the two airlines and MOL's behaviour and not because of Norwegians alleged financial status.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Norwegian will still have to grow it's intra Europe flying to provide better connecting options outside of Gatwick to support their TATL expansion. If they are to fly the A321LRs deeper into the US (STL, BNA, MCI, MEM, ect, ect), their connections from Dublin and Edinburgh will have to beefed up. Maybe it can do Gatwick at least in the summer months, who knows. The whole point of the Easyjet thing at Gatwick was to shift more Norwegian flights to TATL. Norwegian have many 7737MAX and A320neo. If they can't lease out the A320s they'll have to put them to use or convert more into A321s.

oldannyboy

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm

No surprise there. FR has a deal with Air Europa (not commenting on the effectiveness of the deal..still), and DY is 'in bed' with EZY over @ LGW, so not a chance in cat's hell that talks could lead anywhere but to a divorce..
Plus with all the recent bickering between the two I am wondering who is surprised here.

But...unless FR is actually coming up with something (...a 're-jigged' AZ operation @ FCO maybe?) I would think they need to team up with somebody bigger than Air Europa for long-haul, or create their own in-house sister company. They are a bit left out of the game IMHO, and with their massive customer base I would think they are much better positioned than anybody else to stimulate long-haul LCC growth.....

Mortyman

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm

luchtzak wrote:
Ouch!

The cold war between airlines Ryanair and Norwegian has taken a new turn. According to Norwegian, the Ryanair chief’s attack on the financial situation of Norwegian is due to the fact that many pilots chose to leave his company and start working for Norwegian instead.

http://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryana ... 40-pilots/

Yup. MOL talks nonsence once again ...

Ryanair running out of pilots? FR cancels 110 flights (09/12)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1373757

MOL: "Norwegian 'gone' in 4-5 months"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1372949

lightsaber

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Mortyman wrote:
luchtzak wrote:
Ouch!

The cold war between airlines Ryanair and Norwegian has taken a new turn. According to Norwegian, the Ryanair chief’s attack on the financial situation of Norwegian is due to the fact that many pilots chose to leave his company and start working for Norwegian instead.

Yup. MOL talks nonsence once again ...

Ryanair running out of pilots? FR cancels 110 flights (09/12)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1373757

MOL: "Norwegian 'gone' in 4-5 months"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1372949

Yea.. MOL really messed this up.

He's lost his nack at excuses.

Lightsaber

euroflyer

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:01 am

luchtzak wrote:
Ouch!

Well, it's not all fantasy though. DY financial status is not yet stable, it's well known. Huge fleet/routes development costs are far from being amortised despite revenue growth. Also, the CFO recently quited DY for some strange reasons... It has been noticed in the industry.
You can't say MOL's attack is not based on anything, yet I might agree that it's maybe excessive

stratocruiser

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:00 am

MOL is in no position to comment on any other airline's problems right now!

f4f3a

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:10 am

The a321 or on order they could use u2 for the crews /mainly would make life easier as they are all Boeing

Galwayman

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:47 am

FR were happy to coexist but I wouldn't be surprised in they decided to crush Norwegian now , easily done given Norwegians poor financials

WaywardMemphian

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Galwayman wrote:
FR were happy to coexist but I wouldn't be surprised in they decided to crush Norwegian now , easily done given Norwegians poor financials

How so, Ryanair doesn't have the planes to do what Norwegian is doing in TATL. Norwegian clearly needs to grow it's connecting routes where the TATL bases are at and it will provide it's own feed. Easyjet makes sense at Gatwick due to the limitations to growth there. If Norwegian starts dumping it's TATL hauls in Dublin, it's helping any intra Europe growth and bolstering it. If they adopted the standard size for carry ons used in the US, say like Southwest for their TATL with low fare plus being guaranteed overhead and low fare being subject to being placed in the hold if room runs out,
It would help simplify things (because,in the end, these are the types of travelers they are seeking in the States) but still charge for checked luggage it would sure help. Streamline things to their favor.

Some well placed advertisements (Super Bowl, World Series)would go a long way. Simply convey a "We're here and expanding" message.

Mortyman

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Galwayman wrote:

Your view of Ryanair's power is a bit over the top ...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos