Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Pakistan aviation thread - 2017

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:59 pm

I posted a thread earlier about how I thought there should be a separate thread regarding Pakistan's aviation cause not alot of people know about what goes on regarding their aviation despite Pakistan being a key market of the ME3 (heck, the ME3 will practically be running on Pakistan flights after AI takes over US-India market).

So to sum up what we talked about in the previous thread where I asked whether you guys would support such a thread or not:

- We talked about whether there should be such a thread.

- We asked some good questions about PK - why did PK cancel their plans for ISB-LEJ-JFK, what happened to premiere service and their 787 order plans?

Etc.

The previous thread can be found here:

viewtopic.php?p=19821677#p19821677
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

MaxTrimm

Re: Pakistan Aviation Thread

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Here's a good start: http://layoverhub.net/pia-lost-a310/
PIA actually lost one of their A310's in Europe.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:09 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:

Wow, how crazy can PK get? Crazier than even AI, and that's really far low.

They wanted to bring that A310 back for flights between Pakistan and Saudi for Muslim pilgrimage, but I honestly think that's a horrible idea. Why make non-avgeek people sit on an A310 out of all planes for hajj?

Ammad

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Ok, some thing positive now,
http://pkaviation.com/2017/07/27/pia-ge ... nes-today/
PIA received pretty new ex-Air Austral B-77W two months ago and is doing good for them.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ap-bms

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 am

Ammad wrote:
Ok, some thing positive now,
http://pkaviation.com/2017/07/27/pia-ge ... nes-today/
PIA received pretty new ex-Air Austral B-77W two months ago and is doing good for them.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ap-bms

That's great that it's doing well for them! It probably doesn't hurt that only PK flies nonstop Pakistan-Europe, unless TK counts.

I just wish they'd bring the ORD tag back to the ISB/LHE-BCN flight. That'd be unrealistic though, AA would just kick PK out of the ORD-BCN market.

PerfectGriffin

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 am

So when is the ISB supposed to open?

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
So when is the ISB supposed to open?

The new ISB was supposed to be open August 14 but now I think it's been delayed since the PM was ousted.

The roads that are supposed to connect the city with the new airport however, are predicted to be open this November.

c933103

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:21 am

For China Southern's flight between ISB and URC, who are their main customers?

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:28 pm

c933103 wrote:
For China Southern's flight between ISB and URC, who are their main customers?

That I'm not sure. Always thought it'd make more sense for them to do ISB-CAN.

Flightsimboy

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Air China to fly daily in W17 on the PEK-ISB-KHI-PEK route.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... ce-in-w17/

CanadaFair

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:00 pm

PIA resumed Thailand and Iraq services past week, BKK 3 weekly A320 and new destination Najaf 2 weekly A320, all from Karachi. First time narrow body jet is being used to Far East after 707/720, HS Trident era.

BKK re-inaugural was with a VietJet branded aircraft, one of four on wet lease from VJ.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Flightsimboy wrote:
Air China to fly daily in W17 on the PEK-ISB-KHI-PEK route.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... ce-in-w17/

That makes sense - connecting the capitals of two major countries, that of which have a partnership like the U.S. and Israel do - Pakistan and China have been friends for so many years, it's mind boggling that Air China wasn't flying this daily.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:46 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
PIA resumed Thailand and Iraq services past week, BKK 3 weekly A320 and new destination Najaf 2 weekly A320, all from Karachi. First time narrow body jet is being used to Far East after 707/720, HS Trident era.

BKK re-inaugural was with a VietJet branded aircraft, one of four on wet lease from VJ.

PIA's re-inaugural to BKK goes head to head with one of the only foreign carriers left in Pakistan - Thai Airways's KHI-BKK; There are often people who connect from Pakistan to places in Southeast Asia and Australia using Thai, so I'm hoping PK and Thai can coexist.

ist2014

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:56 pm

How is TK doing in Pakistan? They are deploying a332 to isb,khi, lhe on a daily basis

CanadaFair

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:33 pm

PIA do codeshare on Thai, was there a need to fly own service there that too with A320? if it was Kuala Lumpur bound 777 routed via BKK it might be better.

TK upgauged Pakistan to A332 in winter or April, A333 has also been used mostly to Lahore, 737s made their way in too occasionally even after upgauge.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:57 pm

ist2014 wrote:
How is TK doing in Pakistan? They are deploying a332 to isb,khi, lhe on a daily basis

I imagine well. They do fly alot of US-Pakistan traffic.

Ammad

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:04 pm

ist2014 wrote:

TK is really doing good. It is the only "Kind-of" European carrier having service in Pakistan. Fare and service to N.America is great and most of the time flight to and from Istanbul to Karachi is pretty full.

CanadaFair

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 pm

In 2014/15 ISB was TK top route load wise worldwide.

MalevTU134

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Ammad wrote:
ist2014 wrote:

TK is really doing good. It is the only "Kind-of" European carrier having service in Pakistan. Fare and service to N.America is great and most of the time flight to and from Istanbul to Karachi is pretty full.

What's "kind-of" European about TK? Part of Turkey is in Europe, as is IST as well as SAW.

LHR01

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:15 pm

BA most likely to resume Islamabad this year on the 787-9

Flightsimboy

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:09 am

LHR01 wrote:

That would be nice. Though I secretly hope KLM returns to Karachi.

Ammad

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:20 am

LHR01 wrote:

Any source? Chances are slim as we have only 3.5 months left in current year and New Islamabad Airport is not operational yet.

Flightsimboy

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 am

ist2014 wrote:

Shameless post but I will let these videos speak about the service. Includes flights to and from Toronto. Been on TK A330s and 737s.

https://youtu.be/9M0qnbsB4X4?list=PLGXv ... dgontvBxUM

adi00654

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:38 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

They wanted to bring that A310 back for flights between Pakistan and Saudi for Muslim pilgrimage, but I honestly think that's a horrible idea. Why make non-avgeek people sit on an A310 out of all planes for hajj?

I respect your quote but bro u can't compare a Mighty whale AI with a small fleet of PIA.
No matter whatever be the issue AI is a glory .Whatever problem happens it has capacity,capability to survive but PIA cannot .
U cannot compare PIA TO AI.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:37 pm

adi00654 wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

I respect your quote but bro u can't compare a Mighty whale AI with a small fleet of PIA.
No matter whatever be the issue AI is a glory .Whatever problem happens it has capacity,capability to survive but PIA cannot .
U cannot compare PIA TO AI.

Well AI is run in a bad manner in my defense, India could be doing a much better job with AI. Assuming Pakistan has the potential to get their act together, PK should at least be the preferred choice from North America and Europe to Pakistan - the fact that Pakistan is not able to get their act together because of the current scenario, is proof that PK wont survive and the ME3 will continue to run xxx-Pakistan flights for a long time to come.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Ammad wrote:
LHR01 wrote:

Any source? Chances are slim as we have only 3.5 months left in current year and New Islamabad Airport is not operational yet.

I think BA will come to ISB someday but not until the new airport is open at the earliest.

CanadaFair

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Ammad wrote:
LHR01 wrote:

His post was based on guessing in the BA to announce new route thread.

adi00654

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:30 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
Ammad wrote:
LHR01 wrote:

I think BA will come to ISB someday but not until the new airport is open at the earliest.

BA will never come to ISB due to security concerns largely and also ME3.
With USA and Trump pushing more actions towards declaring Pakistan an terrorist state and impose sanctions it is highly unlikely to happen anytime.

CanadaFair

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:44 am

Pakistan CAA and Oman seem to be having issues, Multan-Muscat route not allowed for any airline, though Salam Air did manage to do an inaugural flight in May.

FoxtrotSierra

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:14 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
LHR01 wrote:

I hope so too. I don’t care for BA, although it would be great if they did. When KL returns, that is when we will really have a reason to celebrate. My gut feeling is that KL will come first, although it’s anybody's guess.

adi00654

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 am

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:
LHR01 wrote:

I hope so too. I don’t care for BA, although it would be great if they did. When KL returns, that is when we will really have a reason to celebrate. My gut feeling is that KL will come first, although it’s anybody's guess.

No European airline would come first rather than BA.But u propel should know the reality that Pakistan is not safe this is what the EU carriers think and they have low yield .Mostly ME3 issue also.
If USA imposes sanctions then it would be tough for Pakistan airports to get EU carriers.
Not to demean Pakistan but as a terror support nation Foreign carriers have no presence now in Pakistan

LH658

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am

Well first just about every country has there issue upon security and threats, it's not just Pakistan. European carriers fly to number of countries where there are threats. Just about every nation has support for group, that other nations will say there threat to peace etc. Anyway this is Airliners not a political forum.

I can see BA returning to ISB or LHE, with a 787 for starters. Why? Diplomatic and business traffic between to countries, as they do share a lot of ties together. Pakistani Diaspora is huge in Europe, and particularly in England. Pakistani are big investor in England from the entertainers, athletes, politicians, big land lords, businessman, and etc. Lot of Pakistani students study in England, due to there education aligning with England. Also the trade as the Punjab region of Pakistan has lot of cargo traffic to Europe and else where from agriculture, pharmaceuticals, sporting goods, textiles, and etc. Here are some route examples of cities with decent size Pakistani diaspora; MAN - LHR - ISB, CDG - LHR - ISB, YYZ- LHR-ISB, IAH-LHR-ISB, and etc. Plus you need a US visa or Schengan visa to transit in Europe if I am correct. If AA and other One World members decided to throw on codeshare on the flight, I think it will be fantastic. If they wanted too, maybe they can try PK with level, though I think BA will be a better fit. Maybe BA can do Pakistan via Ashgabat, Baku, IST or any other Central Asian country so the crew can stay there? Also see LH returning to Pakistan due to same reason, if UA, AC, SK can slap on a code share. I think it can do.

As I spend a lot of time in Pakistan, cause of work. I found it a safe country. There is trouble here and there. Main thing is the media wants to stir it up. You have to remember your in a 3rd world country, not Switzerland. Even my other work colleagues enjoy Pakistan. Number of foreigners here as I encountered that work here or visit for business were Indonesian, Japanese, Koreans, Thai, Chinese, Brits, Americans, Turkish, and etc. Also encountered lot of Europeans who go hiking, and trekking in the Northern Areas, that are beautiful as the Alps. Now as the situation in Pakistan is back to normal even city of Karachi that once, had lot of chaos for sometime is back on it's feet, and is thriving. Islamabad is totally, different city though. It really secured, and well planned and developed. Infact Islamabad is #2 best capital in the world after Washington DC, in terms of planning.

BA pulled due to bombing at the Marriott Hotel, other than that it did well. Lufthansa did in Lahore, also same reason I mentioned for why BA will do good can also apply to LH, if UA and other Star Alliance partners slaps a code share on it will do well or okay. Only issue was they were sending A300 at the time, I think they switched later to A330. Though also issue was they removed the Karachi tag, and the crew stopped staying in Lahore due to safety started doing lay overs in DXB or MCT. Though all these incidents are in Pakistan past.

As cricketers have shown, Pakistan is safe. It just hosted a 5 day tour with international cricketers, Also hosted another match back in the Spring, as well as Zimbabwe recently played a friendly match. Footballers Ronaldhino and others came for a match as well. As well as many other talents do come to Pakistan, its not something you hear about daily, though Pakistani live like rest of the world.

Issues I see, is that Gulf carriers can fly to Pakistan and India, turn around quickly. They don't need to pay for Hotel, transportation, security, and etc for there crews. European carriers have to do so. Fuel prices and taxes are high in Pakistan another factor.

Crews that stay a night in Pakistan are Thai, Malindo Air, Air China, and Turkish Airlines as far as I know.

If the Pakistani CAA , can enhance there airport infrastructure, from the tarmac to the inside, that will be excellent.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Pakistan is not that safe, but I agree that their market is heavily underserved and that PK should focus on bettering their operations so they can serve the Pakistani market - else Pakistanis will really have no option home except the ME3 who charge alot for flights already

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:56 pm

adi00654 wrote:
FoxtrotSierra wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:

No European airline would come first rather than BA.But u propel should know the reality that Pakistan is not safe this is what the EU carriers think and they have low yield .Mostly ME3 issue also.
If USA imposes sanctions then it would be tough for Pakistan airports to get EU carriers.
Not to demean Pakistan but as a terror support nation Foreign carriers have no presence now in Pakistan

ME3 are foreign, so is Air China, Thai Airways, SriLankan....

CaliguyNYC

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Several people have mentioned that Euro carriers fly to relatively unsafe countries - that is true. I think the issue with Pakistan is that (i) it doesn't have the super high yielding traffic that say some unsafe African countries do, this helps justify the route, (ii) it doesn't have a lot of UK/EU origin business traffic - meaning BA isn't losing a corporate account because they don't serve Pak, (iii) rightly or wrongly, I think western, namely EU carriers, are somehow more comfortable with crime then they are religious terrorism. Again, I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but I feel like some businesses feel you can have security and guard against robbery but you can't really guard against bombs targeting foreigners / non muslims or even local sectarian battles and (iv) the ME3 - they are so entrenched in Pak that it is really hard to compete for Pak origin traffic with say one daily flight ISB-LHR. Pak business people will want FF relationships with the ME3 as they really only serve enough destinations to meet their travel needs. Also one thing to note - Pakistan is not even in the top 50 source countries for the UK for inbound visits in 2016.

LH658

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Here are some companies I know personally that operate in Pakistan: Harbin, GE, ABB, HSBC, Halliburton, Shell, ENI,OXY, and etc.

I think a city like Islamabad, has an exception. Islamabad is totally different setting than the rest of Pakistan. Roaming around Nigeria, Angola. Congo, and Chad have the same issues with safety. That the European carriers fly too. You guy's are basing Pakistan like what you see on show called Homeland. If you haven't been there, or know the environment you can't really talk. Pakistan has reduced it crime tremendously. I feel like Islamabad and has enough business traffic to support such route. I mean, I am basing this off the reason why i see it doing well. BA had a 5 time weekly flight to Islamabad... So I think that says a lot. LH had 4/5 times to Lahore. Lufthansa can even fly it's LH Cityline to Pakistan.

LH658

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 am

Well, that's how route work. People would think different ways to make a route viable. Islamabad is possible throw on One world Code share (ex AA), diplomats from the US will being using the route as well. As AA is getting rid of there code share with Etihad, it chance for BA.

I wonder when, Garuda or Malaysia Airline will return to Pakistan, as there destination for Muslim tourism, going such places as Australia, Thailand, Far east etc.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:13 am

Despite being a pro-KHI person, I agree that ISB and LHE would probably have the better business cases for a flight. KHI may be a larger city, but it's not safer per say.

LH658

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:56 am

I wonder when, Garuda or Malaysia Airline will return to Pakistan, as there country is Muslim tourist destination as well as good connection for, going such places as Australia, Thailand, Far east etc.

Why is it so hard for the Private carriers in Pakistan such as Serene Air, Air Blue, and Shaheen to expand?

adi00654

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
adi00654 wrote:
FoxtrotSierra wrote:

I was quoting about EU carriers.I didn't say that ME3 presence is low in Pakistan.Regarding Air China and Srilankan they are Pakistan so called neighbour friends.
See the fact is low demand to fill a flight and security factors are the main reason for EU carriers.They need premium traffic which is very low.
ME3 usually takes the traffic so low room for EU.Regarding African countries no matter security reasons they have a good loads of pax to sustain a flight.
No matter how beautiful is Pakistan the terror acts and terror support funding and security reasons are the main drawback for their growth and aviation

LH658

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:56 am

adi00654 wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
adi00654 wrote:

I was quoting about EU carriers.I didn't say that ME3 presence is low in Pakistan.Regarding Air China and Srilankan they are Pakistan so called neighbour friends.
See the fact is low demand to fill a flight and security factors are the main reason for EU carriers.They need premium traffic which is very low.
ME3 usually takes the traffic so low room for EU.Regarding African countries no matter security reasons they have a good loads of pax to sustain a flight.
No matter how beautiful is Pakistan the terror acts and terror support funding and security reasons are the main drawback for their growth and aviation

Have you ever visited Pakistan?

Don't turn this into political debate, by hating on different countries.

According to US, Iran is in the same situation, but KLM, AF, BA, LH all fly there....

The blessing of traveling and exploring new places is respecting one another, vs bashing different nations ... Like I mention before almost every nation support some group, that another will say it's disruption to global peace.

MANMatthew

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 am

It's rather comical reading embarrassing story after embarrassing story about PIA. I don't believe there is room in today's aviation market for such an incompetent airline to exist. If drastic things have changed in very recent times, I will rethink, but I don't think they should be serving Europe at all.

LH658

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:17 am

MANMatthew wrote:
It's rather comical reading embarrassing story after embarrassing story about PIA. I don't believe there is room in today's aviation market for such an incompetent airline to exist. If drastic things have changed in very recent times, I will rethink, but I don't think they should be serving Europe at all.

I don't like the way how PIA is being managed. As the government is just raping them for there luxury. I do have some hope for the Private carriers, but the government always favor PIA obviously.

Maybe if PIA can reschedule there flights, from east bound to west bound, and vice versa. If they Pakistani government can ease visa regulation, and also if Pakistan CAA can upgrade there airports. Then PIA can be possibly cheap alternative from Europe to South/Southeast Asia and Middle East etc.

Though what make it difficult for the Pakistani private carriers to expand? Or even come to agreement with other foreign carriers? I notice Shaheen and Air Blue both tried England, and failed. Shaheen recently started flying too CAN, and I believe BKK or KUL.

qf789

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 am

All users are reminded to stay on topic that being on Pakistan Aviation. This includes keeping all flamebait and political commentary out of the discussion.

CanadaFair

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 pm

LH658 wrote:
MANMatthew wrote:
Shaheen recently started flying too CAN, and I believe BKK or KUL.

Shaheen served Kuala Lumpur for a few months while Bangkok launch was canceled.

PIA dropped Bahrain sometime this year.
Last edited by CanadaFair on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

777GE90

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:03 pm

This may be a bit old nwes but anyone know the latest on PIA CEO Bernd (ex Lufthansa employee) being sacked?

TSA125

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:05 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
I just wish they'd bring the ORD tag back to the ISB/LHE-BCN flight. That'd be unrealistic though, AA would just kick PK out of the ORD-BCN market.

PK could definitely do BCN-ORD, even with AA service around. A more viable option, however, may be OSL-ORD. Oslo is a huge untapped nonstop market for Chicago (as has been discussed extensively on this forum), and PK has the means to extend one of their existing routes there. They wouldn't necessarily have to drop CPH for that either. It could just be a KHI-OSL-ORD routing.
Last edited by TSA125 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadaFair

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 pm

777GE90 wrote:
This may be a bit old nwes but anyone know the latest on PIA CEO Bernd (ex Lufthansa employee) being sacked?

Went on vacation and didn't return despite summons.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:15 pm

TSA125 wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:

PK could definitely do BCN-ORD, even with AA service around. A more viable option, however, may be OSL-ORD. Oslo is a huge untapped nonstop market for Chicago (as has been discussed extensively on this forum), and PK has the means to extend one of their existing routes there. They wouldn't necessarily have to drop CPH for that either. It could just be a KHI-OSL-ORD routing.

True, that would be nice as well. I'd love to see PK bring back their planes to ORD, but I don't think that'll ever happen as they can barely hang on to their nonstop JFK-LHE.

Ammad

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:58 pm

PIA is operating 4X weekly to YYZ and just twice weekly to JFK. JFK is loss making route for PIA. For N.A. Best thing PIA could do is to extensive code share with TK and start daily flight one each from KHI, ISB, and LHE to IST with onward connection via TK metal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos