Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LH707330
Topic Author

Why is D-ABVM "out of order?"

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Most of LH's planes are assigned a letter at the end of their series in sequence of delivery, A, B, C, etc. Thus, you would expect higher l/n to have later letters in the alphabet within a given series. Looking through the fleet list, D-ABVM is l/n 1143, then VO is 1080. Based on line number, one would expect VM to be between VT (1110) and VU (1191). Does anybody know why the numbering is off?

Link (scroll down to 747-400): https://www.lh-taufnamen.de/lufthansa/

george77300

Re: Why is D-ABVM "out of order?"

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:45 am

Not sure about specifics with regard to Lufthansa but often a certain plane can be delayed for a certain reason or the ex-test planes which have a lower number but the registrations are done almost last just before delivery. This can often cause "older" planes to have a later registration.

fraport

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:13 am

AFAIK, D-ABVM was not originally built for LH, but for a VVIP customer. It was not taken up by that VVIP and then LH took it. I remember reading a report at that time in some German aviation magazine (I think Aero International) in which they reported from the delivery flight of this specific frame. IIRC it was, contrary to LH's other 744s, ferried "green" to Germany.

777GE90

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am

george77300 wrote:
Not sure about specifics with regard to Lufthansa but often a certain plane can be delayed for a certain reason or the ex-test planes which have a lower number but the registrations are done almost last just before delivery. This can often cause "older" planes to have a later registration.

Ye was going to say this, look at A6-EDJ in Emirates for example. EDJ was built in 2006 and used by Airbus up until 2010, where as EDA was built in 2008 and delivered to Emirates in 2008 too.

So it is not necessarily down to the aircraft age but more related to when the aircraft actually enters the fleet.

eamondzhang

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am

The "original" D-ABVM is the V8-ALI (L/N 910), which went to Brunei Government straight at delivery to Lufthansa. I guess L/N 1143 is just to fill the void left by the departure of L/N 910.

It also seems that Brunei Government maintains quite a good relationship with Lufthansa as the latter did the majority of the maintenance for V8-ALI. The plane is also stored in HAM, suggesting that Lufthansa may be maintaining it (but this is just my wild guess).

Cheers
Michael

LH707330
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:50 pm

I know some early ones get flip-flopped (e.g. the 748i prototype #2 was supposed to be D-ABYE after testing), but that didn't seem to make sense here.

Thanks all for the answers, the swap with 910 makes the most sense.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos