Topic Author

HA has no spare ATR 42s... MKK/OGG INOP

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:12 pm

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/13706 ... ts-to-maui

Not enough ATR 42-500s to allow for MX.

jaybird

Re: HA has no spare ATR 42s... MKK/OGG INOP

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Does Hawaiian own/lease the planes? I believe crews are supplied by Empire? Or has that changed?

32andBelow

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 pm

I think they took one down to Heavy so they were running no spare.

RWA380

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:21 pm

The flights are operated by Empire for HA, but in reality both LNY & MKK can handle the 717, it's JHM that can't take the jet. So if worse does come to worse, HA could sub a daily 717 to cover if they were down all their ATR-42s, they used to run the DC-9's into both airports, with a circle route, one in the morning & one in the evening. HNL-MKK-LNY-HNL & HNL-LNY-MKK-HNL

MO11

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 pm

32andBelow wrote:

I think it's normally a two airplane schedule with three airplanes. There is always one parked in remote when I go through HNL.

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Would be a great opportunity for WP if WP could react.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
Would be a great opportunity for WP if WP could react.

WP is short a Q400 right now as well.

n7371f

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:58 am

I've seen the Ohana ATR's in GEG a few times at the Empire hanger.

77H

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:41 am

WPvsMW wrote:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/13706705/molokai-residents-on-edge-as-hawaiian-air-suspends-direct-flights-to-maui

Not enough ATR 42-500s to allow for MX.

Read the article. I hate to say it but it doesn't sound the State Rep for Moloka'i doesn't have a clear understanding of how business works. It is not personal, HA is not giving the proverbial middle finger to the people of Moloka'i. Residents of Moloka'i have pushed back against any sort of development that would boost traffic numbers to the island. While I am not saying that is a bad decision per se, it makes for a rather easy decision for HA to choose which route gets the boot when one of their planes goes in for service. Although, I am surprised MKK-OGG got the ax over OGG-JHM unless that flight is operated more for aircraft positioning purposes than to move people from Central to West Maui.

77H

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 am

The county seat is in Wailuku... so there's more demand for MKK/OGG than MKK/JHM. Plus, connections at OGG nonstop to the mainland (LAX, SEA, SFO, and HA flies to each from OGG) rather than backtracking to HNL. So, the inference is positioning.

usxguy

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 am

um... doesn't Mokulele still have like 8 flights a day between MKK & OGG, along with a daily MKK/JHM. And Makani Kai with like 5 flights a day?

drama much:?

32andBelow

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:04 am

MO11 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

I think it's normally a two airplane schedule with three airplanes. There is always one parked in remote when I go through HNL.

Yes but an intensive 12 leg schedule on a turboprop with no spare is a nightmare since 1 is in heavy.

77H

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:32 am

WPvsMW wrote:
The county seat is in Wailuku... so there's more demand for MKK/OGG than MKK/JHM. Plus, connections at OGG nonstop to the mainland (LAX, SEA, SFO, and HA flies to each from OGG) rather than backtracking to HNL. So, the inference is positioning.

I didn't even think about that. However, I'm pretty sure the there are several county services (district court being one of them) located in Lahaina that cover Lana'i and Moloka'i.

At the end of the day HA is a business and most likely cut the service that is least likely to impact the bottom line. Evidently that is MKK-OGG. As a poster below commented, MW and Makani Kai fly the route.

If the Representative is so concerned perhaps she can divert some funds to help subsidize the route that HA considers ending another route in its place.

77H

vfw614

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:16 am

Is this unplanned maintenance? Surprised that an airline really offers a schedule that it cannot maintain when heavy maintenance has to take place without a back-up plan (like leasing in capacity as a cover).

diverted

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Speaking of their ATR's...
Does anyone know anything about N807HC/N810HC/N811HC? All three are ATR72 freighters, but I can't find ANY info on them, if they've even been painted or flown since they've been acquired. Anyone able to shed any light?

SQ22

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 pm

diverted wrote:
Does anyone know anything about N807HC/N810HC/N811HC? All three are ATR72 freighters, but I can't find ANY info on them, if they've even been painted or flown since they've been acquired. Anyone able to shed any light?

Aircraft details are available at planespotters.net or airfleets.net.

I also found this: http://hnlrarebirds.blogspot.de/2015/07 ... atr72.html

azjubilee

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm

They are acquiring a 4th ATR42 for passenger service, perhaps its delay has thrown a wrench into the mx planning and something has to give. The HAL pilot contact doesn't allow for Ohana to fly between HNL and the main trunk routes. This forces the aircraft to make intermediate stops in LNY and MKK to bridge to OGG for the hopper service. This is also the reason why there is OGG-JHM, purely for positioning. 2 lines of flying with 3 airplanes, 1 acting as spare. The 4th plane can't get to HNL soon enough.

This is typical local reaction to HA's business decisions. They legislators always drive the emotion stance and are ultra quick to suggest HA is abandoning their constituents. Next comes the no competition cries and that HA is price gouging the kamaaina. While HA's service within the islands is indeed vital, this service suspension is for 3 months. Let's not get away from the facts. HA is offering an alternative therefore is not abandoning the kupuna and other Molokai residents. Given HHN's penchant for HAL reporting with sensationalism and contempt, I don't think this story is as big of a deal as they're presenting.

The cargo ATR72s are still a go... it's just been complicated with STCs and a paint vendor that screwed up and they had to repair and repaint that particular plane.

diverted

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:11 pm

SQ22 wrote:
diverted wrote:

Aircraft details are available at planespotters.net or airfleets.net.

I also found this: http://hnlrarebirds.blogspot.de/2015/07 ... atr72.html

Thanks, but neither of those give me any info, aside from the fact that they have 3 72 freighters with the registrations above, and have had them for quite some time.

What I'm looking for, is any further info on them. If they're flying, why is there no pictures of them, nothing in FR24 etc. No info at all. If they aren't flying, why not? (as they're a bit of a hodgepodge, some with large cargo doors, some not, maybe they aren't flying and there's a reason?)

Anyways, hope I didn't come across as rude, but I'm looking for something a bit more than the list of their former operators on airfeets.

Cheers

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos