Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines unveils San Francisco Giants A321 livery

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Alaska Airlines announced today that the company has signed an agreement to become the official airline of the San Francisco Giants for the next seven years, extending the partnership that Virgin America established with the organization in 2008. To celebrate this partnership and Alaska's commitment to the Bay Area, the company unveiled the design for an Airbus 321 featuring the Giants logo and team colors that will begin flying early next year.

Press release
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-09- ... sco-Giants

https://twitter.com/AlaskaAir/status/90 ... 124895232/

Jetmarc

Re: Alaska Airlines unveils San Francisco Giants A321 livery

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Wish they'd put the SF logo on the tail and paint the length/span of the Golden Gate along the fuselage as an orange cheatline...

BoeingGuy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Great paint scheme for my favorite baseball team. Too bad it's on the wrong kind of plane. ;)

767333ER

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:45 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Great paint scheme for my favorite baseball team. Too bad it's on the wrong kind of plane. ;)

The type of plane is the best part! :stirthepot:

Polot

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Jetmarc wrote:
Wish they'd put the SF logo on the tail and paint the length/span of the Golden Gate along the fuselage as an orange cheatline...

I'm guessing they will have Alaska branding on the tail, because as of right now there is absolutely no airline branding on that design which would render the sponsorship livery a pointless waste of money.

airzona11

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Great paint scheme.

ucdtim17

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Polot wrote:
Jetmarc wrote:

I'm guessing they will have Alaska branding on the tail, because as of right now there is absolutely no airline branding on that design which would render the sponsorship livery a pointless waste of money.

Well it would be a fine use of money for the Giants, but it's unlikely Alaska would not use the tail to make sure people know it's an Alaska plane

edit: duh, giants aren't paying for this, so yeah pointless unless it says Alaska on the plane

ITMercure

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Shouldn't this airplane feature CFM engines?

hOMSaR

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:08 pm

ITMercure wrote:

I was just thinking that. Why use an IAE A321ceo outline when their fleet will be CFM-powered neos?

FoxtrotSierra

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:09 pm

So does that make it the first Alaska Airbus?

flybynight

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:10 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Haha, as someone who lives 20 minutes from the main factory in Everett, I hear you.
But, I am still not thrilled that Tilden said he was a Boeing guy because his dad worked there. AS should buy what makes sense and not necessarily follow Boeing around...having said that, AS, step up as the launch customer for the 797!! :)

VCEflyboy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Not to worry. 99.9% of passengers wouldn't have a clue if they're flying on a Boeing or an Airbus or a Tupolev for that matter.

NameOmitted

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:48 pm

The aircraft will be operated by Virgin America for the time being. The intent may be to leave the branding a little vague, and then slip the aircraft into the shop for a weekend to put Charlie on the tail once the merger actually happens.

Polot

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
The aircraft will be operated by Virgin America for the time being. The intent may be to leave the branding a little vague, and then slip the aircraft into the shop for a weekend to put Charlie on the tail once the merger actually happens.

AS doesn't have to wait until VX's AOC is officially merged into AS's to paint Chester on the tail, they would just need "Operated by Virgin America" titles on the aircraft in the meantime until then. It looks like that is what is written forward of the boarding door.

winterlight

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Proudly Boeing...

jnev3289

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

God it will be weird seeing Alaska on an Airbus

aeromoe

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:21 pm

ITMercure wrote:

Yes - whatever the A321Neo is flying with. I've flown in N921VA twice since it has been in service. Nice plane.

Personally I think that graphic is atrocious. I was born in the Bay Area, went to my one and only major league game in Candlestick Park in 1975 Giants/Padres, and I absolutely love the City By The Bay. I certainly hope Alaska does the Golden Gate Bridge / San Francisco more justice than the graphic we're looking at at the top of this thread!!!

ucdtim17

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:27 pm

What bridge is that supposed to be? Looks like an orange version of a generic suspension bridge; not related to either the Bay Bridge or Golden Gate

nine4nine

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Chester sporting a Giants Hat on the tail would have made this plane perfect.

AAvgeek744

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Jetmarc wrote:

Agree. The bare tail looks off. The SF would look better there, even if they didn't expand the bridge length.

BoeingGuy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:56 pm

flybynight wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Haha, as someone who lives 20 minutes from the main factory in Everett, I hear you.
But, I am still not thrilled that Tilden said he was a Boeing guy because his dad worked there. AS should buy what makes sense and not necessarily follow Boeing around...having said that, AS, step up as the launch customer for the 797!! :)

I live in Mukilteo, almost long walking distance from the Everett factory. I won't mention where I work, but I'm biased. I'd rather have seen the Giants logo on a 737-900ER.

Tilden's comments were made informally at a breakfast. I'm sure they'll make the best fleet choices going forward. AS is a well run airline. Hopefully, they'll conclude that returning to all-Boeing makes the best business sense.

KiloRomeoDelta

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Ummm plain white tail? I hope they throw in either the Virgin logo or the Alaska Man on it. This looks very "naked".

jbs2886

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
flybynight wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I live in Mukilteo, almost long walking distance from the Everett factory. I won't mention where I work, but I'm biased. I'd rather have seen the Giants logo on a 737-900ER.

Tilden's comments were made informally at a breakfast. I'm sure they'll make the best fleet choices going forward. AS is a well run airline. Hopefully, they'll conclude that returning to all-Boeing makes the best business sense.

The obsession over the comments made at a Seattle business leaders' breakfast is insane. But, even so, who cares if he has a preference for Boeing? Of course he is going to make the best decision for AS and its shareholders. All things being equal, he would pick Boeing; but to not be "thrilled" or otherwise upset over his comments is really taking it too far.

mikegigs

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
Ummm plain white tail? I hope they throw in either the Virgin logo or the Alaska Man on it. This looks very "naked".

Perhaps they will but the airline isn't sure yet (or isn't ready to announce) whether these aircraft will be integrated into the Alaska fleet in the next year or if it will be branded as Virgin? Because I agree, something should be on the tail.

flybynight

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
flybynight wrote:

The obsession over the comments made at a Seattle business leaders' breakfast is insane. But, even so, who cares if he has a preference for Boeing? Of course he is going to make the best decision for AS and its shareholders. All things being equal, he would pick Boeing; but to not be "thrilled" or otherwise upset over his comments is really taking it too far.

I disagree and frankly it made the news because he d i d say it, so obviously it was a comment that caught a lot of attention.
But read my entire post and you'll see I hope AS is the launch customer for the 797 in about 6 years.

hOMSaR

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

mikegigs wrote:
KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

Perhaps they will but the airline isn't sure yet (or isn't ready to announce) whether these aircraft will be integrated into the Alaska fleet in the next year or if it will be branded as Virgin? Because I agree, something should be on the tail.

Reading the linked press release at the start of the thread, it seems obvious that it should be branded as Alaska. All other SF Giants promotions mentioned for next year in that release specifically mention Alaska, they are naming a level of the stadium the "Alaska Airlines Club Level," etc. It would seem odd to muddy that sponsorship by branding the plane with a company name that is going away in a few years.

ucdtim17

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:49 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
mikegigs wrote:
KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

Reading the linked press release at the start of the thread, it seems obvious that it should be branded as Alaska. All other SF Giants promotions mentioned for next year in that release specifically mention Alaska, they are naming a level of the stadium the "Alaska Airlines Club Level," etc. It would seem odd to muddy that sponsorship by branding the plane with a company name that is going away in a few years.

The brand will likely be gone by the time this plane rolls out of the paint shop, so it certainly will be Alaska, not Virgin

AAvgeek744

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Hasn't AS already stated the Airbii will remain in the fleet into the 20's? I get the Seattle connection, but the world isn't going to end when Chester shows up on an Airbus.

coolian2

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:04 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
the world isn't going to end when Chester shows up on an Airbus.

It can't be that weird. He's already on Canadian and Brazilian planes, a European one isn't exactly stunning.

KiloRomeoDelta

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
The world isn't going to end when Chester shows up on an Airbus.

No, but at that point, Alaska needs to start removing the "PROUDLY ALL BOEING" painted under the cockpit of all their mainline planes.

Maybe replace it with "PROUDLY ALL MANUFACTURERS" since they will have Boeing, Airbus, Embraer and Bombardier planes!

NameOmitted

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 pm

hOMSaR wrote:

In that case you would have the brand muddied by having Chester on the tail with everything about the passenger experience being Virgin America.

OzarkD9S

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Meh. Would love to see Chester in an orange/yellow/red/black scheme on the tail. This is almost as boring as baseball itself. :box:

peterj324

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Should've picked a better year for the Giants to unveil this plane. They are by far the most disappointing team in the MLB this year and are in the running for the worst record in the league. Awkward.

TWA772LR

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 pm

peterj324 wrote:
Should've picked a better year for the Giants to unveil this plane. They are by far the most disappointing team in the MLB this year and are in the running for the worst record in the league. Awkward.

Weak livery for a weak team. This is a terrible special livery. And who leaves a tail blank!?

NameOmitted

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 pm

peterj324 wrote:

It allows Alaska to get a great deal, no?

AAvgeek744

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
The world isn't going to end when Chester shows up on an Airbus.

No, but at that point, Alaska needs to start removing the "PROUDLY ALL BOEING" painted under the cockpit of all their mainline planes.

Maybe replace it with "PROUDLY ALL MANUFACTURERS" since they will have Boeing, Airbus, Embraer and Bombardier planes!

That's OK. I recall pre-merger mania in the 90's and 00's, some of the majors stated they would buy A or B, but not both. That changed real fast when the mergers went down. I think its safe to say WN and probably NK (which I think will absorb F9) will be the only carriers that fly one manufacturer exclusively. G4 too, but they have their own unique marketing model. They'd probably take gently used 73G/H if they got a deal.

AirFiero

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:40 am

BoeingGuy wrote:

What the old saying? "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going "? ;)

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:34 am

I thought I read someplace that AS was going back to an all Boeing fleet?

767333ER

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:13 am

727200 wrote:
I thought I read someplace that AS was going back to an all Boeing fleet?

Their fleet plan has progressed over time more and more towards a mixed fleet indefinitely. The only comment about single fleet they have recently made is that if they were ever to go back to a single manufacturer fleet it would be Boeing only, but that isn't happening any time soon.

chrisair

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 am

peterj324 wrote:

I thought they were getting this plane in 2018...which is an even year, meaning the Giants will be quite good...

mooseofspruce

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 am

A bit strange to use the registration number for a VX A320 (which at one point did have the SF Giants logo on the engine) but use a mockup of an A321ceo with IAE engines.

Lack of tail graphic is pretty...meh, it kinda shows they're unsure whether they want to just say "we're Alaska and we're about to operate Airbus" or to maintain the VX brand like they said they would to 2019 (I know, cost of painting). When I saw it on their social media platforms earlier today I was already saddened by how there's apparently going to be a wordmark that says "Operated by Virgin America" by the door as the only bit of VX. Since it's arriving in 2018 and the combined AOC isn't expected until 2019 I think it's safe to say it won't be delivered as an AS plane even if AS is the one doing the announcing.

rbavfan

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 am

Polot wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

AS doesn't have to wait until VX's AOC is officially merged into AS's to paint Chester on the tail, they would just need "Operated by Virgin America" titles on the aircraft in the meantime until then. It looks like that is what is written forward of the boarding door.

Unless there is a union issue involved in adding Alaska name/tail might mean Alaska crews that are not trained yet. Anyone know if this would be an issue?

JayWings

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am

I imagine they didn't put AS branding on what is currently a VX aircraft without having a single operating certificate. That should be coming together before this A/C rolls out of the paint shop. Just my 2 cents.

ASAFA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:02 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

In that case you would have the brand muddied by having Chester on the tail with everything about the passenger experience being Virgin America.

They've already stated they have zero problem with a muddy passenger experience, and looking at their current offering it's not difficult to see why, because it's already quite inconsistent. They will be marketing flights as Alaska sold on Alaska's website and the first indication you're on a Virgin America flight will be when you show up at the gate and are greeted by a VX airbus.

rbavfan wrote:
Unless there is a union issue involved in adding Alaska name/tail might mean Alaska crews that are not trained yet. Anyone know if this would be an issue?

No issue. AA, DL and UA painted the former US, NW and CO planes very quickly and far before they were operating as one airline. I would expect to see Alaska branded airbus very soon, even before interiors are ripped out and downgraded to the Alaska spec. The crews won't mix until crew training is complete at the beginning of 2019 at the earliest, but that has no impact on brand changes in the meantime. Expect to see plenty of changes before then and I can imagine the VX brand will be all but gone this time next year. They want to erase it as quickly as possible.

airzona11 wrote:
Great paint scheme.

What scheme? It is literally an all-white plane with a giants logo and some bridge clip-art cut-and-pasted in the middle. With 10 minutes and a copy of MS Paint any middle-schooler could do as much. Why even bother to unveil this incomplete scheme without any sort of branding whatsoever? Another confusing move by a very disoriented AS marketing team that seems to have no idea how to handle the VX integration. They seem to be just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

32andBelow

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 pm

Are they even painting this one? This could probably easily be done with vinyl.

formeraa

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm very partial to Boeing and grew up a mile from the Renton Boeing plant. However, I love the Giants-branded A321 -- Boeing made a huge mistake by not anticipating the need for a 757-sized jet right now. Yes, the ever-stretched 737 MAX may come close, but the A321 actually feels more comfortable with the wider seats. A 757 MAX-sized aircraft would have sold like gangbusters.

hOMSaR

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:16 pm

formeraa wrote:
I'm very partial to Boeing and grew up a mile from the Renton Boeing plant. However, I love the Giants-branded A321 -- Boeing made a huge mistake by not anticipating the need for a 757-sized jet right now. Yes, the ever-stretched 737 MAX may come close, but the A321 actually feels more comfortable with the wider seats. A 757 MAX-sized aircraft would have sold like gangbusters.

If seat width is a factor, then why would a 757 be any better than a 737?

BoeingGuy

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:59 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
formeraa wrote:

This is also a big fallacy that Airbus has done a really good job of propagating. What is the A32x series like 6' wider than the 737 and not even in an area that really affects seat width?

I've flown both and find the 737-800/-900 to be just as comfortable.

AirbusA343

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Looks very nice. My only complaint is that the tail could use some colour.

32andBelow

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:30 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:
formeraa wrote:

This is also a big fallacy that Airbus has done a really good job of propagating. What is the A32x series like 6' wider than the 737 and not even in an area that really affects seat width?

I've flown both and find the 737-800/-900 to be just as comfortable.

I love my Boeing but the seats when I ride B6 or DL Airbus are definitely about an inch wider and it is noticeable.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos