JAmie2k9
Topic Author

Easyjet to feed Norwegian and WestJet at LGW

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Easyjet now allowing easyjet to easyjet connections and long haul connections with Norwegian and WestJet out of LGW.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/worldwide

BlueTrue

Re: Easyjet to feed Norwegian and WestJet at LGW

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Just did a dummy booking domestic to Sin on Easyjet.com. They will allow you to book Norwegian and Westjet using the Gatwick Connects service.

Mortyman

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Looks like Ryanair is out in the cold ?

klakzky123

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Mortyman wrote:

Not really. The real prize is getting GDS interline going. Direct sales like this are nice but not really the end game here. To date, no one has actually done that yet.

Also this isn't real interline, it uses Gatwick connects. This is just selling multiple one ways combined together. Frankly this barely counts in my opinion.

Varsity1

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:12 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Not really. The real prize is getting GDS interline going. Direct sales like this are nice but not really the end game here. To date, no one has actually done that yet.

Also this isn't real interline, it uses Gatwick connects. This is just selling multiple one ways combined together. Frankly this barely counts in my opinion.

Agreed.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

11725Flyer

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Easyjet now allowing easyjet to easyjet connections and long haul connections with Norwegian and WestJet out of LGW.

Great move, I wonder how this plays into any Brexit issues.

gatibosgru

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Good for Easyjet!
@DadCelo

adamh8297

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Agreed - this is more like an insurance policy against reclaiming baggage and making your flight.

Did a dummy booking of BOS-LGW-MLA. Appears Norwegian baggage charges are automatically added to the fare so you are getting a checked bag on DY if you purchase through EasyJet. They then give you the option to pay for a bag.

EDIT: DY makes you buy Lowfare + on this system (one bag, seat selection and meal)

Overall the site is much better than Gatwick Connects but thats it.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

jomur

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:58 am

Probably won't cover you if your first flight is late and you miss the second one..

Pe@rson

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:05 am

jomur wrote:
Probably won't cover you if your first flight is late and you miss the second one..

Included in every booking, the Gatwick Connects service is the smart way to connect between flights. Your bags are transferred directly to your next flight in the baggage hall and if you miss your connection they'll get you onto the next available flight free of charge.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 am

That's adorable. Useless in terms of meaningful revenue production, but adorable.
E pur si muove -Galileo

BestWestern

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 am

Is UK APD paid on Gatwick connects?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

PatrickZ80

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:28 am

Doesn't work for me. I'm trying to make a dummy booking Amsterdam - Gatwick - New York. EasyJet flies Amsterdam - Gatwick multiple times daily and Gatwick - New York is one of the primary Norwegian routes. However, New York doesn't show up on the EasyJet site for me and Norwegian only routes me through Oslo instead of Gatwick.

I'm curious about the APD of course. The main reason for an arranged transfer in Gatwick is to avoid the APD, if that's not possible then what's the point in transfering in Gatwick?

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 am

And people wonder why BA felt the need to start taking definitive action.
Cool to see industry dynamics changing.

This'll be great for medium markets, in addition to the larger markets already served. When the likes of AUS/MSY got their tatl service, it seemed like a novelty.

From here on out, it seems like an expectation.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Kikko19

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 am

Who pays in case of irreg?

Aither

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:43 am

So far it's still more expensive than flying BA...
Never trust the obvious

Pe@rson

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:12 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Doesn't work for me. I'm trying to make a dummy booking Amsterdam - Gatwick - New York. EasyJet flies Amsterdam - Gatwick multiple times daily and Gatwick - New York is one of the primary Norwegian routes. However, New York doesn't show up on the EasyJet site for me and Norwegian only routes me through Oslo instead of Gatwick.

I'm curious about the APD of course. The main reason for an arranged transfer in Gatwick is to avoid the APD, if that's not possible then what's the point in transfering in Gatwick?

Works for me via the link at the top of the thread.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

VS11

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 am

That's a great step. The easyJet site works very well.

Someone83

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 am

Press release from Norwegian

http://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pressre ... rm-2144984
Norwegian’s long-haul network to connect with easyJet’s European routes as airlines partner on new ‘Worldwide by easyJet’ platform

oldannyboy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:38 am

Small news masquerading as big news

Arion640

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:43 am

11725Flyer wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Great move, I wonder how this plays into any Brexit issues.

I don't see how this is anything to do with brexit.
319 320 321 346 388 733 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 E175 E195 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

JBLUA320

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 am

I'm surprised at how many people so far are discounting this as no news. It's a pretty big step forward to incentivize LCC travel.

The Gatwick Connects platform has free rebooking protection and comes with Premium security so that you don't have to wait for long. Given that transiting in London would require a security check anyway after Passport control, this now gives you the option to have a safer/low-risk connection on two previously unlinked carriers and the program routes the bag for you once you re-check it, so you don't need to go to any airline-specific counters. The minimum connect time is 3h 25m as well, so it should be fairly safe.

It gives Easyjet access to a huge passenger pool it previously didn't have and is a simple, no-risk way for Norwegian and WestJet to fill seats from markets they don't serve or have bad connections to.

It's simple, but it's smart, and I think it'll do really well!

TC957

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:01 am

I think this is a great move all round, well done easyJet for instigating this. Can't understand why so many posters here dismiss this innovation.
Just hope the practical side of this at LGW has been sorted out !

skipness1E

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 am

Loco to loco connections is interesting, what % of the base fare does each get? It's hard enough to make money splitting revenue between network carriers.

Dutchy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:35 am

I didn't see that coming, the most interesting part for me seems to be the collaboration with Norwegian. Why? They are both LCC and both have an extensive European network. Why would Norwegian "give" this opportunity to Easyjet? Wouldn't it be more logical to work with Air Asia X for instance?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

VS11

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

Dutchy wrote:
I didn't see that coming, the most interesting part for me seems to be the collaboration with Norwegian. Why? They are both LCC and both have an extensive European network. Why would Norwegian "give" this opportunity to Easyjet? Wouldn't it be more logical to work with Air Asia X for instance?

It is really more of a service for the customers. I have connected on easyJet and Norwegian at LGW on two separate tickets but this service has benefits for the passengers. Price-wise it is the same as two separates tickets priced on each airline's site.

runway23

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

The most interesting bit of information was tucked away in the press release in that easyJet will also start selling short-haul connections between its flights at MXP, GVA, AMS, CDG, BCN in addition to LGW.

Dutchy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 am

VS11 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

It is really more of a service for the customers. I have connected on easyJet and Norwegian at LGW on two separate tickets but this service has benefits for the passengers. Price-wise it is the same as two separates tickets priced on each airline's site.

I understand, but still, Norwegian makes it easier/ as convenient as for people to travel on a "connecting" easyJet flight as to a Norwegian flight.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

anstar

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 am

Norwegian already said a few months back they will scale back short haul ops at LGW in favour of using those slots for long haul flights so this works well for both easyjet and Norwegian at LGW. Presumably they will do the same at CDG/BCN.

I presume we will see more of these types of arrangements especially as I believe easyjet will be getting a new system next year to better allow interline partnerships.

stratocruiser

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:43 am

Mortyman wrote:

If I remember correctly, earlier this year Ryanair were in discussions with both Aer Lingus and Norwegian about feeding into their services through Dublin and there also was talk of feeding into other IAG carriers. Could we perhaps see a rival feed in the future by Ryanair into BA's steadily expanding transatlantic network from Gatwick??

WaywardMemphian

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:16 pm

stratocruiser wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

If I remember correctly, earlier this year Ryanair were in discussions with both Aer Lingus and Norwegian about feeding into their services through Dublin and there also was talk of feeding into other IAG carriers. Could we perhaps see a rival feed in the future by Ryanair into BA's steadily expanding transatlantic network from Gatwick??

Out of one side of their mouth and the other side said it didn't have much capacity for connecting traffic as loads were very high. Interesting that O'leary's comments last week really singled out Norwegian and Easyjet. Someone sees much stiffer competition ahead. Norwegian can grow it's own network in Ireland and reduce it's Europe service for TATL routes using Easyjet to fill the connecting gap there.

You have Air Berlin pilots, especially the younger ones that might like flying a 787 on TATL as opposed to interEurope routes.

The changes are coming at us fast.

The real fun begins when the A321LRs arrive. A Boeing MOM will make for insane fun.

AndyEastMids

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:01 pm

VS11 wrote:

No... When Gatwick Connects originally launched there was clearly an additional component in the overall fare, and nothing seems to have changed. I've just tried it for an AMS-LGW-FLL round trip. It quite clearly identifies the prices as £90.53 for the easyJet sectors, £478.00 for the Norwegian sectors, and £34.50 for Gatwick Connects - total just over £600. Seems to me like the additional fee is equivalent to an "insurance policy" that protects travelers if their connections at Gatwick fail.

airzona11

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

Is it ? Hasn't the argument for the legacies been "we are the only ones that can offer connections / to long haul flights / etc"?

This is not going to be the end game, just the beginning. Yes the F/J passengers wont use it. But for that casual traveler, what is the different in Y, connecting EasyJet to DY vs in LHR with BA for example?

Galwayman

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Just did some random dummy bookings , prices were extremely uncompetitive ...

f4f3a

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Also you can connect to loganair to the highlands such as Barra.
News says this is just the beginning and more partners etc to be rolled out.
I think the future landscape is going to be interesting

f4f3a

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Apologies not connect but selling onward tickets

Mortyman

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:37 pm

A Nice Picture ...

PatrickZ80

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Galwayman wrote:

No wonder if they just add up the fares and add a transfer fee on top of it. The thing that is making Gatwick unattractive is the APD and nothing has been done about that. Usually transfer passengers don't pay APD, but in this case they do.

Thing is that if the feeder flight is done by Norwegian you don't pay the APD and it really saves you a lot of money. I've seen Copenhagen - Gatwick - New York cheaper than the same flight just Gatwick - New York. Would be nice if EasyJet could get the same status as Norwegians own feeder flights.

cityshuttle

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:51 pm

AndyEastMids wrote:
No... When Gatwick Connects originally launched there was clearly an additional component in the overall fare, and nothing seems to have changed. I've just tried it for an AMS-LGW-FLL round trip. It quite clearly identifies the prices as £90.53 for the easyJet sectors, £478.00 for the Norwegian sectors, and £34.50 for Gatwick Connects - total just over £600. Seems to me like the additional fee is equivalent to an "insurance policy" that protects travelers if their connections at Gatwick fail.

Now, now much would a KL or BA ticket cost for a direct flight from AMS ?

[okay, FLL is maybe not served ... but you get the point]

klakzky123

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

No wonder if they just add up the fares and add a transfer fee on top of it. The thing that is making Gatwick unattractive is the APD and nothing has been done about that. Usually transfer passengers don't pay APD, but in this case they do.

Thing is that if the feeder flight is done by Norwegian you don't pay the APD and it really saves you a lot of money. I've seen Copenhagen - Gatwick - New York cheaper than the same flight just Gatwick - New York. Would be nice if EasyJet could get the same status as Norwegians own feeder flights.

They probably would if this was true interline. In a standard interline scenario, there's a combined e-ticket to cover the entire journey so there's a true transfer. With this current system, Norwegian and EasyJet are just selling combined one way flights as a package. That doesn't result in a proper interline transfer so you're hit with fees.

At some point we'll get a proper form of LCC interline but it isn't here yet. There are a couple of big issues as I see it. First, the current interline process is expensive and requires massive overhead. That runs counter to the goals of an LCC (running a lean operation) and second, there isn't an industry standard around the proration and distribution of ancillary revenue. Modern interline is primarily built around prorating the fare but LCC's rely heavily on ancillary revenue so a standard for prorating ancillaries is required as well.

f4f3a

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Doing a couple of dummy bookings you can't get a return . Also some of the flight timings need to be adjusted as the gaps between 2 flights are quite long. Long enough to do a day trip into London !

skipness1E

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:27 pm

airzona11 wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Is it ? Hasn't the argument for the legacies been "we are the only ones that can offer connections / to long haul flights / etc"?

This is not going to be the end game, just the beginning. Yes the F/J passengers wont use it. But for that casual traveler, what is the different in Y, connecting EasyJet to DY vs in LHR with BA for example?

A hotel room for the night if the connection is missed?

skipness1E

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Mortyman wrote:
A Nice Picture ...

Photoshopped to Hell, the 767 is falling backwards :)

Cunard

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm

If this all works out for EasyJet at LGW I wonder if we're see some more airlines changing terminals with Norwegian moving to the North Terminal to join EasyJet and Westjet and perhaps Thomson TUI moving to the South Terminal to free up space for Norwegian.

Having all airlines working together under one terminal at LGW would make this new arrangement far more easier and appealing to passengers and they can scrap any APD for transfer passengers making it a seamless experience not unlike using British Airways at Heathrow Terminal 5.

For those passengers traveling in economy with either airline they are basically getting the same service as if they were flying with BA and EasyJet Norwegian and Westjet could easily create quite a large mini hub at LGW North Terminal.

mcdu

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Mortyman wrote:
A Nice Picture ...

If you like discomfort and bottom of the barrel. What happens when a passenger misconnects? What are the protections?

This is nothing more than lipstick on a pig.

Andy33

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Cunard wrote:
Having all airlines working together under one terminal at LGW would make this new arrangement far more easier and appealing to passengers and they can scrap any APD for transfer passengers making it a seamless experience not unlike using British Airways at Heathrow Terminal 5

But neither the airlines nor the airport have anything to do with the conditions or rate charged of APD, it is the UK government for LGW. At the moment their definition of a connection for APD purposes involves two tests - that the whole process is on one ticket so there can be no dispute about which passengers should be charged and which should not, and the duration of the wait between the two flights. The second test is irrelevant here as they aren't offering connections of over 24 hours, What incentive is there for the UK government to change its rules and lose tax revenue?
There are two things easyJet/WestJet/Norwegian could do - one is to offer genuinely through ticketed flights, which would automatically pass the first test and exempt the flight from APD anyway. If their IT systems prevent them from doing that, then they could find a way to through-check the baggage. If that happens, the passengers could use the existing Flight Connections system at Gatwick and bypass the UK Border. This poses no threat to National Security, since other airlines routinely use Flight Connections for their connections, and for the UK Government, there's a potential saving in workload at the border point, to offset the loss of tax revenue.

adamh8297

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Galwayman wrote:

This may not be a good deal on something like BOS-LGW-AMS with FI or WW offering low cost 1stop options but niche destinations such as Malta Split or Bari could offer some decent savings especially on one way fares.

My European holidays from BOS tend to be travel to both a beach holiday destination then a city.

If I fly BOS-LGW-SPU via this method then SPU-AMS on Transavia and AMS-KEF/MAN-BOS on WW/FI/MT I could save 3-500 easily.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

slowrambler

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm a bit surprised that easyJet isn't making it easy to buy Plus fares etc. with this service - they actually bundle a lot of Norwegian options and don't give you a choice of easyJet fare levels when booking.

PatrickZ80

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:07 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

This may not be a good deal on something like BOS-LGW-AMS with FI or WW offering low cost 1stop options but niche destinations such as Malta Split or Bari could offer some decent savings especially on one way fares.

My European holidays from BOS tend to be travel to both a beach holiday destination then a city.

If I fly BOS-LGW-SPU via this method then SPU-AMS on Transavia and AMS-KEF/MAN-BOS on WW/FI/MT I could save 3-500 easily.

One-way into Europe is indeed still reasonably competitive because then you only pay the APD for your flight within Europe which is very low. Outbound out of Europe is a lot less competitive because then you pay the high APD for long haul flights. Luckily there are a lot more options. To take your example of Split, you can fly Norwegian Split - Oslo - Boston on a single booking. Unfortunately the other way around is not possible on Norwegian because those flights don't connect to each other.

slowrambler wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that easyJet isn't making it easy to buy Plus fares etc. with this service - they actually bundle a lot of Norwegian options and don't give you a choice of easyJet fare levels when booking.

That is another problem of course, they won't let you select what fare level you want on either airline. They include things you don't want to include but they don't offer the possibility to exclude them.

jomur

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 pm

This service has been around for some time if you wanted to pay seperately for it. The only difference is that you just pay the one price with this option so basically its not new..
Will be interesting to see how it actually works with major irrops...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos