KLDC10
Topic Author

Schiphol Presents New Terminal Building Design

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:25 pm

From the 'Aviation Tribune': http://aviationtribune.com/airports-atc ... -terminal/

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol has chosen the design of KAAN Architecten for their new terminal.

The new terminal will open in 2023 and will allow 14 million more passengers to travel through Schiphol annually. The new terminal is an expansion of Schiphol’s existing terminal, making it possible to retain the one terminal concept. The consortium’s innovative thinker is Arnout Meijer Studio from The Netherlands.

------------------------------------------------------
Only one picture available at the moment, and the same image is also available on the airport's Facebook page. I'm glad to see terminal expansion at Schiphol. While it remains my favorite European airport, it can be rather crowded at times. The design of this new building struck me as being very "70s", but I do quite like the look of it.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E190

StudiodeKadent

Re: Schiphol Presents New Terminal Building Design

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:36 pm

I've only seen the pic in the linked article but my thoughts (on the basis of that pic alone) are as follows:

Very slick. Clean, tasteful, modern, efficient, elegant.

A touch generic though. Like... nothing really distinctive or memorable. To be fair its only an expansion and its not like the centerpiece of a city. So it may make sense to let form follow function here. People don't visit Amsterdam for the airport.

KarelXWB
Crew

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Several designs were proposed; here are the designs that didn't make it:

Other design entries
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

KLDC10
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:25 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
Several designs were proposed; here are the designs that didn't make it:

Other design entries

The last concept on that page is somewhat "out there". I'm glad they didn't pick that. Although perhaps the architects intended it as more of a concept design than a serious contender?
The concept involving green space is very interesting, but perhaps the Dutch weather would have meant that it wouldn't have been green for very much of the year ;)

It seems like they have chosen the best and most sensible design. I'm not sure an airport terminal is the place to experiment with radical new designs if I'm honest.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E190

Cunard

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:52 pm

StudiodeKadent wrote:
I've only seen the pic in the linked article but my thoughts (on the basis of that pic alone) are as follows:

Very slick. Clean, tasteful, modern, efficient, elegant.

A touch generic though. Like... nothing really distinctive or memorable. To be fair its only an expansion and its not like the centerpiece of a city. So it may make sense to let form follow function here. People don't visit Amsterdam for the airport.

With an excellent viewing deck and a large spotter community at Amsterdam your be surprised how many people visit Amsterdam just for the airport, many years ago I personally visited Schiphol three times before I ever even ventured into the city itself.

KarelXWB
Crew

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 am

And for those who have missed it: the new pier was revealed a month ago:

The new terminal for those who don't want to open the article:

What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Dutchy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 am

Not that special, unfortunately. But very practical. Rem Koolhaas should have done better, he is better abroad than domestic.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

petertenthije

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 am

There are a few more photos at the Schiphol website. There are also a few more photos of the proposals that did not make it.
http://news.schiphol.com/media-library/

Attamottamotta!

iahcsr

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:19 am

This would replace the hard stands west of concourse B I presume. That appears to be the only open space left... unless there's a bit of demolition required.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

Morvious

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am

iahcsr wrote:
This would replace the hard stands west of concourse B I presume. That appears to be the only open space left... unless there's a bit of demolition required.

There will be a lot of demolition going on for this new terminal. Demolition of parking P2 will already start next month I believe.
have a good day,

HereThen

Bavd

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:47 am

It does fit perfectly with the existing style, but boy is it bland! As is the new pier. Typical no nonsence money making architecture.
Personally i would have liked to see the MVRDV and Meinhardt design being build.

rbavfan

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am

KLDC10 wrote:
From the 'Aviation Tribune': http://aviationtribune.com/airports-atc ... -terminal/

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol has chosen the design of KAAN Architecten for their new terminal.

The new terminal will open in 2023 and will allow 14 million more passengers to travel through Schiphol annually. The new terminal is an expansion of Schiphol’s existing terminal, making it possible to retain the one terminal concept. The consortium’s innovative thinker is Arnout Meijer Studio from The Netherlands.

------------------------------------------------------
Only one picture available at the moment, and the same image is also available on the airport's Facebook page. I'm glad to see terminal expansion at Schiphol. While it remains my favorite European airport, it can be rather crowded at times. The design of this new building struck me as being very "70s", but I do quite like the look of it.

So looking at the pic I see three buildings vs the 2 current buildings. So how exactly is this maintaining a 1 terminal concept?

Milka

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am

It looks very clean and efficient, bit boring though.

planecrazy20

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:38 am

rbavfan wrote:

So looking at the pic I see three buildings vs the 2 current buildings. So how exactly is this maintaining a 1 terminal concept?

These "separate" terminals are for check-in and security/immigration only. Once past immigration its all one big terminal.

KentB27

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:11 pm

I really like the design. Very clean, modern, and timeless.

kl713

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm

For some reason, that new building reminds me of Eindhoven railway station :D
732 733 734 73G 738 739 742 743 744 752 763 77E 773 77W 788 789 319 320 332 333 343 346 388 M11 146 DH4

codc10

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Somewhat reminiscent of the former Terminal 6 (National Sundrome) at JFK...

hispanola

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:57 pm

It looks like a few 707s, DC-8s and VC-10s need to be parked at that terminal. That's an old design!
From Co. Down living in PNA.

jamesontheroad

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Bavd wrote:
It does fit perfectly with the existing style, but boy is it bland! As is the new pier. Typical no nonsence money making architecture.

I disagree completely. Go and look at any new build British airport to see "no nonsense money making architecture." I'm thinking Southend, or Luton. Horrible, cynical, lazy design that cares nothing for the passenger experience and everything about maximising retail space and the returns from tenants.

At least Schiphol will continue to have light, airy and spacious passenger concourses, with generous views out onto the apron and runway.

Iemand91

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Cunard wrote:
With an excellent viewing deck and a large spotter community at Amsterdam your be surprised how many people visit Amsterdam just for the airport, many years ago I personally visited Schiphol three times before I ever even ventured into the city itself.

About 2/3 of the Panorama Terrace has been closed off since years and unlikely to open ever again.
Over the years several spottings places/parking places around the airport have been removed (The only place where you can legally stay with a car are at the Polderbaan and at the McDonalds parking lot) so things have definitely changed for the worse.
The spotting place at the Kaagbaan was closed before my interest of aviation took off so I never had the pleasure to experience that place.

The Polderbaan spotting place is only their because of the insistence of spotters when the Kaagbaan spotting place was removed; not something Schiphol came up with.
And that place has been the subject of courtcases.

Of for the design of the new terminal; I like it. It's not flashy or extremely groundbreaking, but that typically Dutch IMHO. It does look nice and clean and hopefully lots of lights and views.
I'm glad the OMA design didn't get through; it looks absolutely hideous IMHO.
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

william

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Add some 707s and 727s and put JFK or ORD on the corner, would anyone be surprised this is not straight out of the 60s? That front exterior shot could had been used in the 1970 movie Airport.

I like the clean and timeless look. The same reason I like T2 and T3 at ORD. Its functional and it will only enhance Schiphol as one the world's better airports. Funny how whats old is new again.

Flanker7

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 pm

I like it, clean, open and a lot of natural light. It also kinda blends in with the old terminal.
Flying blue only if possible

Devilfish

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Very Miesian.....the Bauhaus' second movement. :cool2:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

N415XJ

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Personally, I really like Schiphol's existing terminal design. It hadn't changed much since at least the 60s (I think) but still seemed strangely modern. This new design is kind of the opposite: modern but with a reference to the old terminal with its blocky look and black 'bar' on top of the windows.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Wow... a completely rectangular square glass box. Yawn.

How can people find this the remotest bit slick and exciting?

Mind you, that's exactly the same as the utterly dismal Dutch housing "design" of the last decade. I know people living in (very expensive) bespoke houses which to me are just open plan offices and shipping containers. I just don't get it, personally.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

AndyEastMids

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Did they steal the design from Frankfurt Terminal 3

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/conte ... 0.1280.png

r2rho

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am

This will help take some pressure off the current terminal by adding some much needed extra check-in and security checks for O&D pax.
I hope the proportion of shops stays within the same -more or less reasonable- proportion as in the rest of Schiphol.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos