B737900ER
Posts: 805
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:26 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 pm

CONTACREW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Could KEF see the 737? UA has ETOPs on the 73 correct?


Nope KEF is an international route so smallest aircraft it would see is the 75B and yes the 737s are ETOPS.

What does that have to do with anything? There are plenty of international destinations flown with a 737 and KEF is within range of EWR
 
DobboDobbo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
Anecdotally, no one has ever expressed interest to me in going to MAN for tourism (not even fellow airline employees). However, people fall all over themselves talking about EDI and how they want to go. People view EDI more similarly to SNN or DUB it seems.


I'm guessing you're based in the US? If so, MAN is much more of an outbound market (by that I mean passengers originating at MAN and visiting the US).

MAN and it's catchment is more popular for inbound visitors from the Far East, Middle East, Australasia and Subcontinent. The outbound market is still very large, but much more balanced with the inbound.
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm

B737900ER wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Could KEF see the 737? UA has ETOPs on the 73 correct?


Nope KEF is an international route so smallest aircraft it would see is the 75B and yes the 737s are ETOPS.

What does that have to do with anything? There are plenty of international destinations flown with a 737 and KEF is within range of EWR


Well considering the fact this will be an NTA based trip with polaris service means the smallest aircraft company will run on the route is the 75B.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:56 pm

CONTACREW wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:

Nope KEF is an international route so smallest aircraft it would see is the 75B and yes the 737s are ETOPS.

What does that have to do with anything? There are plenty of international destinations flown with a 737 and KEF is within range of EWR


Well considering the fact this will be an NTA based trip with polaris service means the smallest aircraft company will run on the route is the 75B.


KEF is largely tourism dominated. I think Hawaii like 737 service would be more appropriate.
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
What does that have to do with anything? There are plenty of international destinations flown with a 737 and KEF is within range of EWR


Well considering the fact this will be an NTA based trip with polaris service means the smallest aircraft company will run on the route is the 75B.


KEF is largely tourism dominated. I think Hawaii like 737 service would be more appropriate.


The company thinks differently. Under the sub CO contract any route that is over 50 miles overwater (excluding HNL) has to be flown out of an international base which is why NTA will crew this trip on the 75B. No 737s in the NTA FA bid package.

For reference:

EWR-OPO NTA/NLS
EWR-KEF NTA
IAD-EDI WTA
SFO-ZRH SFO/SLS.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call
 
EssentialBusDC
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:06 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
What does that have to do with anything? There are plenty of international destinations flown with a 737 and KEF is within range of EWR


Well considering the fact this will be an NTA based trip with polaris service means the smallest aircraft company will run on the route is the 75B.


KEF is largely tourism dominated. I think Hawaii like 737 service would be more appropriate.


Despite its name, the Guppy can't carry enough fish, compared to a 757.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 pm

CONTACREW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:

Well considering the fact this will be an NTA based trip with polaris service means the smallest aircraft company will run on the route is the 75B.


KEF is largely tourism dominated. I think Hawaii like 737 service would be more appropriate.


The company thinks differently. Under the sub CO contract any route that is over 50 miles overwater (excluding HNL) has to be flown out of an international base which is why NTA will crew this trip on the 75B. No 737s in the NTA FA bid package.

For reference:

EWR-OPO NTA/NLS
EWR-KEF NTA
IAD-EDI WTA
SFO-ZRH SFO/SLS.


Then how do they fly the 737 all over the Caribbean and central america out of IAH? Every flight over the gulf is >50miles.

The pilots sure don't care. Fly it with a pmUA cabin crew.
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

KEF is largely tourism dominated. I think Hawaii like 737 service would be more appropriate.


The company thinks differently. Under the sub CO contract any route that is over 50 miles overwater (excluding HNL) has to be flown out of an international base which is why NTA will crew this trip on the 75B. No 737s in the NTA FA bid package.

For reference:

EWR-OPO NTA/NLS
EWR-KEF NTA
IAD-EDI WTA
SFO-ZRH SFO/SLS.


Then how do they fly the 737 all over the Caribbean and central america out of IAH? Every flight over the gulf is >50miles.

The pilots sure don't care. Fly it with a pmUA cabin crew.


Sub CO FAs can't fly sub UA aircraft and sub UA FAs can't fly sub CO aircraft because of metal protection in our contracts. 75B is a sub CO aircraft so sub CO will crew it. All of the new additions will be flown under the sub CO contract.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call
 
Freshside3
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:28 pm

continental004 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
I'm surprised about EWR-OPO. Is the market really big enough for both the likes of UA and TP?


Portugal is the next big thing in European tourism!

It truly is. And EWR-OPO had been a much asked-for flight by UA frequent flyers.
 
Freshside3
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:33 pm

nc3rd wrote:
Just remember with all the excitement, unless they are growing their overall fleet size or somehow increasing utilization, this "growth" comes at the loss of something else. New routes always get big headlines whereas reductions drift quietly away.

Excellent point!
 
mcdu
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
nc3rd wrote:
Just remember with all the excitement, unless they are growing their overall fleet size or somehow increasing utilization, this "growth" comes at the loss of something else. New routes always get big headlines whereas reductions drift quietly away.

Excellent point!


No it isn't. The number of airframes increase this year. More aircraft delivered next year also increase airframe numbers. Therefore the adds must come from cuts is incorrect.
 
IceAir778
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:00 am

Interesting!
Does anybody knows the times on the route EWR-KEF?
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 am

IceAir778 wrote:
Interesting!
Does anybody knows the times on the route EWR-KEF?


5hrs 40 min eastbound 10:30p 8:10a+1
6hrs 10 min west bound 11:55a 2:05p
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call
 
CHI2DFW
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 1:44 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:43 am

ORD will see new int'l flights when new gates are built. In Chicago time, that could be a long time from now.
 
ual763
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 am

CONTACREW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:

The company thinks differently. Under the sub CO contract any route that is over 50 miles overwater (excluding HNL) has to be flown out of an international base which is why NTA will crew this trip on the 75B. No 737s in the NTA FA bid package.

For reference:

EWR-OPO NTA/NLS
EWR-KEF NTA
IAD-EDI WTA
SFO-ZRH SFO/SLS.


Then how do they fly the 737 all over the Caribbean and central america out of IAH? Every flight over the gulf is >50miles.

The pilots sure don't care. Fly it with a pmUA cabin crew.


Sub CO FAs can't fly sub UA aircraft and sub UA FAs can't fly sub CO aircraft because of metal protection in our contracts. 75B is a sub CO aircraft so sub CO will crew it. All of the new additions will be flown under the sub CO contract.


Just out of curiosity, will this change next October? Once the FAs are one, will there be any metal protection?
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 am

ual763 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Then how do they fly the 737 all over the Caribbean and central america out of IAH? Every flight over the gulf is >50miles.

The pilots sure don't care. Fly it with a pmUA cabin crew.


Sub CO FAs can't fly sub UA aircraft and sub UA FAs can't fly sub CO aircraft because of metal protection in our contracts. 75B is a sub CO aircraft so sub CO will crew it. All of the new additions will be flown under the sub CO contract.


Just out of curiosity, will this change next October? Once the FAs are one, will there be any metal protection?


Yes metal protection goes away October 2018.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:16 am

deltal1011man wrote:
Nice additions.
I remember when Delta use to add stuff that wasn't to a AMS or CDG. Sigh, very jealous.


It's true UA's really been on a tear internationally, this year announcing:
IAD-EDI
SFO-MUC
SFO-ZRH
EWR-EZE
EWR-OPO
EWR-KEF
LAX-SIN
ORD-MZT
IAH-MZT
IAH-SYD

:thumbsup: United!
yeo
 
Judge1310
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 am

CONTACREW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:

Well considering the fact this will be an NTA based trip with polaris service means the smallest aircraft company will run on the route is the 75B.


KEF is largely tourism dominated. I think Hawaii like 737 service would be more appropriate.


The company thinks differently. Under the sub CO contract any route that is over 50 miles overwater (excluding HNL) has to be flown out of an international base which is why NTA will crew this trip on the 75B. No 737s in the NTA FA bid package.

For reference:

EWR-OPO NTA/NLS
EWR-KEF NTA
IAD-EDI WTA
SFO-ZRH SFO/SLS.


But both sCO and sUA will be one come this October, so how would current restrictions have relevance for flights that operate next year?
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 890
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:34 am

Judge1310 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

KEF is largely tourism dominated. I think Hawaii like 737 service would be more appropriate.


The company thinks differently. Under the sub CO contract any route that is over 50 miles overwater (excluding HNL) has to be flown out of an international base which is why NTA will crew this trip on the 75B. No 737s in the NTA FA bid package.

For reference:

EWR-OPO NTA/NLS
EWR-KEF NTA
IAD-EDI WTA
SFO-ZRH SFO/SLS.


But both sCO and sUA will be one come this October, so how would current restrictions have relevance for flights that operate next year?


We become one next October 2018 not this year.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call
 
Judge1310
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 am

CONTACREW wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:

The company thinks differently. Under the sub CO contract any route that is over 50 miles overwater (excluding HNL) has to be flown out of an international base which is why NTA will crew this trip on the 75B. No 737s in the NTA FA bid package.

For reference:

EWR-OPO NTA/NLS
EWR-KEF NTA
IAD-EDI WTA
SFO-ZRH SFO/SLS.


But both sCO and sUA will be one come this October, so how would current restrictions have relevance for flights that operate next year?


We become one next October 2018 not this year.


Ah okay, copy that! :-)
 
ual763
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:16 am

Personally, I think once they take delivery of the 737 Max's, we'll start seeing some new smaller market European routes opened up or switched over from the 757.
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4253
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes!

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 am

pabloeing wrote:
And New Jersey have a big portuguese emigration point.


And most of the Portuguese in NJ come from the North of Portugal, so OPO will be a lot more convenient than LIS. United at OPO is a no-brainer, and the 757-200 is the perfect metal for it. Considering how OPO is a relatively premium-heavy destination, and people in Porto have zero loyalty to TAP (most hate it after what TP has done to Porto, and only fly it when they have no other choice), I wouldn't be surprised to see TP drop their twice-weekly direct flights after getting crushed by UA and see this route go year-round for United.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
SCQ83
Posts: 3541
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes!

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 am

Pyrex wrote:
pabloeing wrote:
And New Jersey have a big portuguese emigration point.


And most of the Portuguese in NJ come from the North of Portugal, so OPO will be a lot more convenient than LIS. United at OPO is a no-brainer, and the 757-200 is the perfect metal for it. Considering how OPO is a relatively premium-heavy destination, and people in Porto have zero loyalty to TAP (most hate it after what TP has done to Porto, and only fly it when they have no other choice), I wouldn't be surprised to see TP drop their twice-weekly direct flights after getting crushed by UA and see this route go year-round for United.


Indeed. Most VFR come from OPO area which traditionally is the poorest part of Portugal (Lisbon has the "capital effect"). You can see that trend also in Europe, where in some VFR markets (Paris, Switzerland, Luxembourg...) OPO has sometimes roughly the same number of flights / carriers than LIS even if it is a much smaller airport. And even considering that LIS has the advantages of a) being a much larger business market than OPO, b) being a much bigger tourism / city-break destination and c) having the TP hub (more connecting passengers).

VFR has a much larger component in OPO (poorer area) than in LIS (wealthier area).
 
UA777EWRTLV
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am

yeogeo wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
Nice additions.
I remember when Delta use to add stuff that wasn't to a AMS or CDG. Sigh, very jealous.


It's true UA's really been on a tear internationally, this year announcing:
IAD-EDI
SFO-MUC
SFO-ZRH
EWR-EZE
EWR-OPO
EWR-KEF
LAX-SIN
ORD-MZT
IAH-MZT
IAH-SYD

:thumbsup: United!
yeo


And DEN-LHR :)
 
User avatar
yeogeo
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:43 am

UA777EWRTLV wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
Nice additions.
I remember when Delta use to add stuff that wasn't to a AMS or CDG. Sigh, very jealous.


It's true UA's really been on a tear internationally, this year announcing:
IAD-EDI
SFO-MUC
SFO-ZRH
EWR-EZE
EWR-OPO
EWR-KEF
LAX-SIN
ORD-MZT
IAH-MZT
IAH-SYD

:thumbsup: United!
yeo


UA777EWRTLV wrote:
And DEN-LHR :)


I thought I went through this year's press releases methodically... obviously I missed one. It seems every UA hub gets at least one international gift this year!

DEN-LHR
IAD-EDI
SFO-MUC
SFO-ZRH
EWR-EZE
EWR-OPO
EWR-KEF
LAX-SIN
ORD-MZT
IAH-MZT
IAH-SYD

yeo
One great use of words is to hide our thoughts. Voltaire
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4253
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes!

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Indeed. Most VFR come from OPO area which traditionally is the poorest part of Portugal (Lisbon has the "capital effect"). You can see that trend also in Europe, where in some VFR markets (Paris, Switzerland, Luxembourg...) OPO has sometimes roughly the same number of flights / carriers than LIS even if it is a much smaller airport. And even considering that LIS has the advantages of a) being a much larger business market than OPO, b) being a much bigger tourism / city-break destination and c) having the TP hub (more connecting passengers).

VFR has a much larger component in OPO (poorer area) than in LIS (wealthier area).


I don't think that is correct at all. The "wealth" in Lisbon is artificial (basically government services and people who float around the taxes the North of the country pays). While the average income is indeed higher in LIS (same as D.C. - wealthiest city in the U.S., on a median basis), the fact is that there just isn't that much business class long-haul business associated with government traffic. LIS does indeed have more tourism (for centuries most of the money coming from the ex-colonies just stayed there, so it is a much more beautiful / grand / imperial city) but that is not what generates premium traffic, people traveling for work is, and in that respect OPO does not leave anyone behind. The correct comparison is Milan vs Rome, in Italy.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
klwright69
Posts: 2630
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2000 4:22 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:31 pm

The Iberian peninsula is interesting. DL has Malaga and now UA has OPO. Does DL still have Malaga?
Will UA ever return to places like BRS, BFS, DUS, CGN, CPH, OSL, for even seasonal service? How did BFS last this long?
I wonder if a US carrier will ever do the Canary Islands or the Azores?
 
EssentialBusDC
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:06 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:06 pm

ual763 wrote:
Personally, I think once they take delivery of the 737 Max's, we'll start seeing some new smaller market European routes opened up or switched over from the 757.


The only markets that would work are probably Iceland/U.K./ Ireland from EWR or IAD due to range limitations. The Max 9, with one Aux tank installed will have a range of 3500nm. Continental Europe puts you at the limits. And only then for seasonal summer stuff as the 737 doesn't have a proper rest seat when a third pilot would be needed for westbound.

So the chances the 737 replaces the 757 to Europe? Possible but highly doubtful.
 
dcaviation
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:26 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm

CONTACREW wrote:
CapitalAvGeek wrote:
According to United's website the SFO-ZRH flight will get in at 10:10AM but is scheduled to depart for SFO before than at 9:50AM. Currently no other United flight to ZRH are on the 787. Maybe IAD-ZRH will go from 767 to 787 since IAD will become a 787 base in late October. It's possible that UA would keep the plane on the ground in ZRH for 24 hours, but I think that is highly unlikely.


Yes IAD-ZRH will see a 787.


Maybe in 2-3 years, but not now.
As of October IAD-ZRH will be downgraded to 767-300 as most of the -400 out of IAD.


Washington Dulles – Amsterdam 767-300ER replaces -400ER
Washington Dulles – Brussels 20DEC17 – 24MAR18 767-300ER replaces -400ER (as well as 777-200ER 08MAR18 – 24MAR18)
Washington Dulles – Geneva 767-300ER replaces -400ER
Washington Dulles – Munich 15FEB18 – 04MAR18 767-300ER replaces 777-200ER (Previous plan: -400ER)
Washington Dulles – Zurich 767-300ER replaces -400ER
Washington Dulles – Beijing eff 28OCT17 787-8 replaces 777-200ER, 1 daily
Washington Dulles – London Heathrow eff 28OCT17 UA924/919 787-8 replaces 767-400ER, 1 daily
Washington Dulles – Sao Paulo Guarulhos eff 28OCT17 787-8 replaces 767-400ER, 1 daily

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-12aug17/
 
SCQ83
Posts: 3541
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes!

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Pyrex wrote:
I don't think that is correct at all. The "wealth" in Lisbon is artificial (basically government services and people who float around the taxes the North of the country pays). While the average income is indeed higher in LIS (same as D.C. - wealthiest city in the U.S., on a median basis), the fact is that there just isn't that much business class long-haul business associated with government traffic. LIS does indeed have more tourism (for centuries most of the money coming from the ex-colonies just stayed there, so it is a much more beautiful / grand / imperial city) but that is not what generates premium traffic, people traveling for work is, and in that respect OPO does not leave anyone behind. The correct comparison is Milan vs Rome, in Italy.


Artificial wealth? What is this concept?

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSI-20

OPO has a few PSI-20 companies but the largest companies with the most international (= TATL) scope are located out of LIS (GALP, Jerónimo Martins, EDP, Portucel... ). Also an overwhelming majority of international companies serving Portugal have their national offices in Lisbon.

So not comparable at all with Milan VS Rome. More like Paris VS Lyon.
 
scandinavian590
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm

I wonder when BRU will eventually get back its evening service to NYC. A second EWR-BRU service was announced by UA for summer 2016 but got cancelled because of the Brussels attacks.
 
User avatar
LoftleidirDC8
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:32 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

KEF must be getting saturated. FI,WW,UA,DL are all adding service like crazy. The Icelandic tourist infrastructure must be nearing its capacity as UA/DL are selling KEF as exclusively pax as a destination. I wouldn't be surprised if UA and DL offer Basic Economy as a test balloon before going all in on the rest of their European routes. I doubt that UA/DL will mating there ch WW/FI on transatlantic destinations as they are counting on a premium for nonstop service.
 
DobboDobbo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:57 pm

klwright69 wrote:
How did BFS last this long?


State subsidies I think.

It's been heavily criticised in the UK.
 
Bhoy
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
klwright69 wrote:
How did BFS last this long?


State subsidies I think.

It's been heavily criticised in the UK.

Is Belfast not exempt from the rip off U.K. Air Passenger Duty tax so as to remain competitive with flights from Dublin?
That would make a big difference in price on U.K. Regional Transatlantic fares.
 
DobboDobbo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Bhoy wrote:
Is Belfast not exempt from the rip off U.K. Air Passenger Duty tax so as to remain competitive with flights from Dublin?
That would make a big difference in price on U.K. Regional Transatlantic fares.


Yes, that may be the justification.

The criticism is that it is misplaced on a "vanity" route and the subsidy could be better spent on either removing APD or on a route that generates higher returns for Northern Ireland (likely to be a European route).

The other point is that APD gets lost in a reasonably chunky long haul fare, whereas it is a much higher %age of the overall cost of a short haul fare (particularly from a loco).

UA's future in the UK regions has been called into question, so glad to see them expand (or at least move the chairs around a bit) at EDI.
 
Antarius
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Incredible what a change in leadership will do... after spending some time fixing underlying structural issues with the company, United is really going on a tear.
2017 :SIN |HKG |LAX |DFW |HOU |IAH |MAF |LBB |DCA |IAD |ORD |BOS |DEN |LHR |MAD |HNL |ITO |OGG |PHX |DOH |JHB |KUL |DEL |BLR |CDG |ORY |NRT |CGK |BTH |ICN |INV |ABZ |LCY |LTN |SFO |PHL |SJC |SLC |MIA |TPA |PBI |CLT |FLL |CUN
 
Coalways
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:39 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Tourism is getting big into portugal..nice adds by UA! Im sure there is mote to be announced as there alot of new widebody deliveries for next year if im correct?
 
United1
Posts: 3317
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Coalways wrote:
Tourism is getting big into portugal..nice adds by UA! Im sure there is mote to be announced as there alot of new widebody deliveries for next year if im correct?


3 789s early in the year
4 77Ws middle of the year
3 7810s (78Js?) end of the year

10 739MAX towards the end of the year
?? used 319/320s

The 789s are probably deployed already with the addition of IAH-SYD but I'm not sure what the plan is for the rest of the fleet. There are no widebody (or narrowbody for that matter) retirements that I know of in 2018.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
tjh8402
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:20 am

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes from EWR to OPO, KEF and ZRH as well as route extensions

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:56 pm

United1 wrote:
Coalways wrote:
Tourism is getting big into portugal..nice adds by UA! Im sure there is mote to be announced as there alot of new widebody deliveries for next year if im correct?


3 789s early in the year
4 77Ws middle of the year
3 7810s (78Js?) end of the year

10 739MAX towards the end of the year
?? used 319/320s

The 789s are probably deployed already with the addition of IAH-SYD but I'm not sure what the plan is for the rest of the fleet. There are no widebody (or narrowbody for that matter) retirements that I know of in 2018.


I believe the 787-10s have been officially abbreviated as 78X (X being the Roman numeral for 10)
 
Seanster59
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes!

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:02 pm

continental004 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
I'm surprised about EWR-OPO. Is the market really big enough for both the likes of UA and TP?


Portugal is the next big thing in European tourism!



Lisbon is horrendously crowded in the summer. Portugal has been a huge thing for decades for Europeans.
 
continental004
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: United opens new summer seasonal routes!

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Seanster59 wrote:
continental004 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
I'm surprised about EWR-OPO. Is the market really big enough for both the likes of UA and TP?


Portugal is the next big thing in European tourism!



Lisbon is horrendously crowded in the summer. Portugal has been a huge thing for decades for Europeans.


I meant for Americans.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos