Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QuawerAir
Topic Author

Finnair to resume Los Angeles service? (rumour)

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:02 am

Is Finnair going to resume Los Angeles service this year? According to Wikipedia, Finnair will resume HEL-LAX on 1 November 2017. Is this really going to happen or is it just someone having fun?
Someone also wrote in other thread that it's likely that AY will launch LAX service. However, I haven't found any news about that.

arcticcruiser

Re: Finnair to resume Los Angeles service? (rumour)

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 am

You didn´t think to check the Finnair website first? See if you could start a dummy booking after Nov.1st, HEL-LAX nonstop?

Concorde2904

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:50 am

I just so happen to have a friend at Finnair who is a flight attendant, she does long haul international flights, i can ask her :)

AirlineCritic

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:11 am

I made some searches and couldn't find direct flights from HEL to LAX at least not on some days in Nov-Dec. That doesn't mean there aren't other days when there are flights. Finnair's own webpage says about Los Angeles destination that flights there have a connection.

But, I think this will possibly happen. They have a lot of capacity coming.

armchairceonr1

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 am

No, AY is not going to open this route November and not even S18 schedule. SFO is their only destination at west coast and that is only seasonal.
But, I think this will possibly happen. They have a lot of capacity coming.

They get only one A350 more this month and next A350 is coming Q4/2018. They have allready booked all their capasity at S18 schedule.
Last edited by armchairceonr1 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

finnishway

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 am

There was a rumour about this on this forum not so long time ago. It won't happen this year, but maybe next.

NichCage

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm

I find it kind of strange why Finnair considered SFO before LAX. Otherwise, I think LAX would be a nice addition to the AY network.

rwsea

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:08 pm

NichCage wrote:
I find it kind of strange why Finnair considered SFO before LAX. Otherwise, I think LAX would be a nice addition to the AY network.

Lots of tech connections between Finland and the Bay Area. LAX not as much.

AirAfreak

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:30 am

Finnair advertises faster flying times to Asia via their Helsinki flights from Continental Europe. Could a Finnair Los Angeles flight be competitive for Asia-bound passengers?

I wonder how attractive AY flying times and airfares would be when you compare flying LAX-HEL-BKK versus flying EK LAX-DXB-BKK.

Could AY capture a significant amount of these fare-conscious passengers originating from Los Angeles, for example, versus EK's current low fares to Asia? I've seen competitive Y fares on EK via DXB compared to let's say, CI LAX-BKK via TPE.

In any case, Finnair could be a nice add to the LAX roster of airlines.

ilari

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:40 am

A friend of mine is a pilot at AY, she just started flying the A330. She has not heard anything about LAX, although we both have seen AY advertising LAX on the net.

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 am

rwsea wrote:
NichCage wrote:

With a larger flying populace + immunized partner airline at LAX, it did seem odd that they'd add SFO first.

But I guess that explains it.

Kikko19

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 am

LAX772LR wrote:
rwsea wrote:
NichCage wrote:

With a larger flying populace + immunized partner airline at LAX, it did seem odd that they'd add SFO first.

But I guess that explains it.

so far nothing on Amadeus about this route, maybe they have to update the availability

HELyes

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:06 pm

rwsea wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Yes like the game industry.

AirAfreak wrote:
Finnair advertises faster flying times to Asia via their Helsinki flights from Continental Europe. Could a Finnair Los Angeles flight be competitive for Asia-bound passengers?

I wonder how attractive AY flying times and airfares would be when you compare flying LAX-HEL-BKK versus flying EK LAX-DXB-BKK.

Could AY capture a significant amount of these fare-conscious passengers originating from Los Angeles, for example, versus EK's current low fares to Asia? I've seen competitive Y fares on EK via DXB compared to let's say, CI LAX-BKK via TPE.

In any case, Finnair could be a nice add to the LAX roster of airlines.

In theory something like LAX-HEL-BKK could work. In September AY offer SFO-HEL-BKK, total travel time around 22h with 90min connection. EK's timetable shows 25h travel time, CI have 18h. But I doubt smallish Finnair could seriously compete on that market, with their current business model.

Anyways it would be cool if they returned to LAX, they flew HEL-SEA-LAX with DC-10 in the 1980s.

OH-LGA

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 pm

I seem to remember that in addition to SFO being a bigger tech connection to HEL, SFO fits into AY's strategy of having long-haul destinations that utilize no more than one aircraft frame. SFO just barely fits at the extreme edge of this, while LAX does not (a LAX-HEL rotation would take more than one aircraft day to accomplish including ground time on both ends).

MIflyer12

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:37 pm

AirAfreak wrote:

It depends on where in Asia, but generally no, for the majority of LAX-Asia travelers LAX-HEL-Asia won't be a shorter distance (or total travel time) than LAX-NRT/ICN/PEK-Asia (or one of the many LAX non-stops). Play around a bit with Great Circle Mapper. Farther north and west in Asia gives HEL an advantage. Ankara? Yes, by (many) miles.

HELyes

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Ankara? Yes, by (many) miles.

Yes that corner looks better on the Great Circle map, Finnair just don't serve the main cities in Turkey, only the beach resorts. Tel Aviv could be one candidate.
Last edited by HELyes on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TWA902fly

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 pm

OH-LGA wrote:
I seem to remember that in addition to SFO being a bigger tech connection to HEL, SFO fits into AY's strategy of having long-haul destinations that utilize no more than one aircraft frame. SFO just barely fits at the extreme edge of this, while LAX does not (a LAX-HEL rotation would take more than one aircraft day to accomplish including ground time on both ends).

That's a strange strategy, seems inefficient. They could easily rotate the aircraft with a route that takes less than 1 whole airframe, for example HEL-PEK. HEL-LAX-HEL-PEK-HEL would take 2 frames, for 2 routes.

'902

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos