IAHWorldflyer

Re: IAH Future Routes

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
No good reason for either TLV or LIS, at all.
BCN, maybe.
HKG......yes, definitely.....
The former CO trip to CDG is sorely missed
BGI, GCM, EYW, CTG would be good choices
Maybe weekend service to BKG?

Why HKG? There is no real O&D from IAH to there and there are no connections worthwhile that ORD,SFO, and EWR don't completely cover.

Lots of people go to China in Texas. Feed-in from secondary TX markets, not just IAD locals. Same can be said for Vietnam, too, and IAH-HKG can be the link in between all of it.

As others have said, there does not exist the high value finance flyers between Houston and HKG. If all you want to do is connect people from Texas to secondary China/Vietnam/SE Asia markets, that traffic is well handled by Star Alliance partners BR to TPE, and NH to NRT. Or if HKG is final destination, one can connect on UA in SFO, ORD, or EWR, or in NRT on UA or NH, or AC via YVR. Yields on Texas-HKG are really low, you can do a dummy booking and see that it's often cheaper to fly to HKG than IAH-SEA or BOS. AA flys it from DFW because they just don't have a great Pacific gateway like UA has in SFO, and even DL has in SEA.
I agree with another poster who says that a summer seasonal IAH-BCN could make good use of a 763, especially if timed well for West Coast connections. I still think a 763 route to BRU would do well with connections to Africa through Brussels Airlines.I believe they serve all the big oil destinations like Kinshasa, Luanda , etc.

LIPZ

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
FCO......no local market for it........

Well IAH-FCO local market is 1,15 bigger than DTW-FCO and 1,8 bigger than CLT-FCO.

Both routes served by DL and AA for 6-7 months per year.
Daily flights with A333.

2Holer4Longhaul

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:33 pm

LIPZ wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
FCO......no local market for it........

Well IAH-FCO local market is 1,15 bigger than DTW-FCO and 1,8 bigger than CLT-FCO.

Both routes served by DL and AA for 6-7 months per year.
Daily flights with A333.

Are you familiar with the concept of connections? CLT for AA (and IAD for UA) serve to route Southeast-FCO traffic with little to no backtrack. IAH involves a backtrack from this market.
As for DTW, it's there to feed traffic from the midwest, something UA does with ORD.
A junkie for A340s, A380s, and of course Her Majesty the Boeing 747. I wish they were financially viable, but it is not to be.

2travel2know2

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 am

thomasphoto60 wrote:
Has AV suggested or hinted at an IAH-BOG service? It is interesting that IAH has all of these far afield Asian services from numerous Asian operators, yet so few Latin carriers. Suffice it to say UA and CO before the merger is largely responsible for that with their 'Fortress' mindset regarding IAH and Latin America. I would welcome Avianca (Colombia), Latam, GOL, Azul, though I am not holding my breath on seeing any of these until UA loosens its grip on IAH.

AV already flies to IAH with a route it got from TACA and there's room for both UA and TA (E190) on that SAL-IAH, however, since both AV and UA are in Star Alliance, there's doubt AV would fly its own metal BOG-IAH when UA flies IAH-BOG.
Latam could probably try IAH but from LIM.
CM wouldn't fly to IAH but to HOU, not to bother UA, if it ever decides to fly to Houston.

As for UA opening new markets out of IAH, probably in Latin America CTG and MDE Colombia could be some of those.
In Europe, not sure how profitable would a IAH - MAD would be.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

ahj2000

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:28 am

Freshside3 wrote:
indcwby wrote:
I'm gonna throw this out there. IAH-FCO or CAI?

Outside chance for CAI.....you have MS covering both coasts to Egypt(JFK and LAX), but nothing in the middle. Lots of Arabs and Middle Easterners in Texas.

FCO......no local market for it........SFO is who really needs it.

A) since when does EgyptAir serve LA??
B) I doubt Cairo, especially as the Egyptians are mad at us from what I understand (the US govt Is retaining funds due to human rights abuses And maybe something with Yemen?)
C) I could see FCO. Good connections to the West Coast but it would completely overfly 75% of the population, so there's that too.
-Andrés Juánez

Freshside3

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
indcwby wrote:
I'm gonna throw this out there. IAH-FCO or CAI?

Outside chance for CAI.....you have MS covering both coasts to Egypt(JFK and LAX), but nothing in the middle. Lots of Arabs and Middle Easterners in Texas.

B) I doubt Cairo, especially as the Egyptians are mad at us from what I understand (the US govt Is retaining funds due to human rights abuses And maybe something with Yemen?)
C) I could see FCO. Good connections to the West Coast but it would completely overfly 75% of the population, so there's that too.

MS certainly did before. They had a LAX-JFK portion, that was a tag-on to the JFK-CAI trip. I have not followed up on that lately; they may have axed that leg from the trip.

ahj2000

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:

MS certainly did before. They had a LAX-JFK portion, that was a tag-on to the JFK-CAI trip. I have not followed up on that lately; they may have axed that leg from the trip.

Looking at old a.net posts, they dropped it in 2001. Just lately ;)
-Andrés Juánez

GamingPolaris
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 pm

PR is considering IAH via YVR. Exciting, even though KE is exiting the market.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos