GamingPolaris
Topic Author

IAH Future Routes

Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:31 pm

After UA's IAH-SYD announcement, what new routes could be added at IAH by foreign carriers or UA for connectivity.

Such as:
IAH-PVG
IAH-HKG
IAH-TLV
IAH-DEL
IAH-LOS

Your thoughts?

Irehdna

Re: IAH Future Routes

Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:55 pm

I think IAH-TLV/HKG/LOS would be most likely. However, does UA have enough B789 for a HKG flight?

I do know AI is considering IAH-DEL, and I don't see UA starting such a route yet. If anything, the next (and probably only) new UA India route should be ORD-BOM.

CHI2DFW

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:02 am

TLV will probably be from ORD, but what airline? With T-5 gate constraints, UA is handicapped at what they can do until the 9 new fates open.

But this is about IAH! Great to see SYD after SCL. Maybe CDG?

787fan8

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:03 am

GamingPolaris wrote:
After UA's IAH-SYD announcement, what new routes could be added at IAH by foreign carriers or UA for connectivity.

Such as:
IAH-PVG
IAH-HKG
IAH-TLV
IAH-DEL
IAH-LOS

Your thoughts?

PVG: China Eastern expressed interest in this one. Are they still planning on it?
HKG: I could see Cathay Pacific doing this one, but I don't think it'll be their next US destination.
TLV: Not sure about this one.
DEL: As much as IAH would be ideal for AI, DFW is probably more likely to be started up due to them having a larger Indian population than IAH. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
LOS: Not sure about this one either. Maybe UA would restart it, but I'm an ATL person, not a IAH person, so I don't know.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

NichCage

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:01 am

I think that the only destinations likely to be launched are PVG and DEL at this point. China Eastern and Air India have both expressed interest in serving IAH. Otherwise, I don't think CX is even planning IAH. TLV would never be launched, and there is no way LOS would be re-launched anytime soon.

nadavatar64

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am

I dont see TLV happening, the market is small and it would have to rely on connections. HKG seems like an interesting choice but that might take a while. I think CDG is a pretty big hole in the system. I think a seasonal BRU/ZRH flight might work.

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 am

Would love to see HKG, but I doubt UA would be the one to offer it, as IAH doesn't seem to create any better cnnx opportunities that the combination of SFO/ORD/EWR-HKG don't already cater to.

CDG seems is a gaping hole for UA.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DolphinAir747

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:03 pm

LOS is a gaping hole, maybe ET can do it if not UA?

LIPZ

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm

In Europe IAH-CDG/FCO by UA

jayunited

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Irehdna wrote:
I think IAH-TLV/HKG/LOS would be most likely. However, does UA have enough B789 for a HKG flight?

I do know AI is considering IAH-DEL, and I don't see UA starting such a route yet. If anything, the next (and probably only) new UA India route should be ORD-BOM.

The two routes I could see UA adding from IAH are IAH-HKG and they have to restore IAH-CDG. I'm hoping we will see the restoration of IAH-CDG by summer 2018. I think with the arrival of the 787-10 and the flexibility that aircraft will bring UA should be able to find a way to free up a few 789's to operate IAH-HKG. I'm not sure there is enough demand to justify IAH-BRU but if there is that could be a potential route as well at least on a seasonal basis and well as IAH-FCO.
I would also like to see UA add more South American destinations from IAH. IAH is our South American gateway but I think there is potential for growth from IAH to quite a few cities in South and Central America.

However, I think you are correct with ORD-BOM probably being on the radar. But I don't think IAH-TLV will happen on UA. If UA was going to add another nonstop flight from the U.S. to TLV it probably would be from ORD not IAH.

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Based on whats listed:

PVG: Big market and good fares. Why not, but I doubt it will be UA flying it. MU is more likely.
HKG: Why? IAH-HKG is a small market with few business ties. IAH doesn't bring any significant connections to the table that SFO, ORD, and EWR don't already.
TLV: Again why?
DEL: Big market, but low fares. I don't think anyone could make money on it.
LOS: When (or if) oil picks back up, this makes sense.

When people talk about future routes from IAH, everyone focuses on these pie in the sky long haul international route. What we in IAH are really lacking are many short haul domestic route. DAY, GSO, CID, MSN, and a whole slew of Texas route. Thats what I would like to see UA add above any of the long haul routes listed above.
It is what it is...

IAHWorldflyer

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 pm

I doubt TLV/HKG/DEL are even under consideration.
What is needed is a modicum of service to one or more of the other Star Alliance hubs in Europe. Currently, IAH-FRA is the only Star hub that is connected, with 1x daily by both LH and UA. A flight to ZRH, BRU, or LIS would be most welcome. Of these, I think the highest odds go to BRU, as there is a large African network to connect into. I wish UA had continued the 787 base at IAH, as this would be a good route for a 788. It is possible that were Swiss to look to expand their North American destinations, IAH would be in the running. However, I don't think there are many unique Euro destinations that would be served through ZRH that aren't possible with FRA or MUC.
In terms of shorter flights, service to anywhere in Colombia not named BOG would be nice. And GYE would be a nice add. It was served in the old CO days. A 4x weekly CNF route would show UA is serious about Brazil. Doesn't DL fly to CNF from ATL? And of course AA flies it from MIA. IAH is popular among Brazilians for connections to California and other Western cities.

horsepowerchef

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 pm

It would be nice to see IAH gain a few African routes. like restart LOS...or start ACC, JNB, or ADD maybe even CPT.

clo1973

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:54 pm

With a partnership under negotiation between Avianca & UA, it is likely that in the short / mid term service between IAH and CLO/MDE (Cali & Medellin) in Colombia could be open

COflyerBOS

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Guayaquil
Cali
Medellin
Maui
Paris
US expansion on E70-E90s

For non United;

KX- Bring back the turtle! I miss the turtle tail.
EK- bring back the 380
LX- Need a star carrier option other than LH
AV- Maybe to Colombia instead of UA

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 pm

COflyerBOS wrote:
Guayaquil
Cali
Medellin
Maui
Paris
US expansion on E70-E90s

This is far more realistic than the OP list.
It is what it is...

jetero

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:34 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
What we in IAH are really lacking are many short haul domestic route. DAY, GSO, CID, MSN, and a whole slew of Texas route. Thats what I would like to see UA add above any of the long haul routes listed above.

AMEN!

thomasphoto60

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:35 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Based on whats listed:
When people talk about future routes from IAH, everyone focuses on these pie in the sky long haul international route. What we in IAH are really lacking are many short haul domestic route. DAY, GSO, CID, MSN, and a whole slew of Texas route. Thats what I would like to see UA add above any of the long haul routes listed above.

I concur, while the long haul flights to far flung destinations are sexy, IAH is sorely lacking in intrastate service. I was doing a photo shoot at Longview airport a few weeks back and was rather surprised that there were no direct flights from IAH to GGG. Upon further research, I was even more shocked how much Express Jet has retreated from serving the smaller markets in Texas, allowing American Eagle to swallow up many of these routes. Some that come to mind are Waco (ACT), San Angelo (SJT), Abilene (ABI), Wichita Falls (SPS), Tyler (TYR) even close by Beaumont (BPT) and the list goes on.
"Show me the Braniffs"

jetero

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:45 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Based on whats listed:

I concur, while the long haul flights to far flung destinations are sexy, IAH is sorely lacking in intrastate service. I was doing a photo shoot at Longview airport a few weeks back and was rather surprised that there were no direct flights from IAH to GGG. Upon further research, I was even more shocked how much Express Jet has retreated from serving the smaller markets in Texas, allowing American Eagle to swallow up many of these routes. Some that come to mind are Waco (ACT), San Angelo (SJT), Abilene (ABI), Wichita Falls (SPS), Tyler (TYR) even close by Beaumont (BPT) and the list goes on.

Not sure the last time, if ever, IAH had service to GGG. Or SPS.

Of the routes you listed above, I think TYR stuck around the longest. If I recall, CO started turboprop flights to these destinations twice, once in the mid-90s and once after. I think TYR and ACT started twice. ABI and SJT were only in the first generation and were never restored. DRT came in the second generation and actually stuck around for a while.

BPT was a very long served destination, VCT being another (but not as long as BPT). BPT is technically still "served" by charter bus--the buses leave from the Terminal a "icehouse," (gates A1/2/3).

I'm wondering how much longer CLL will stick around--down to 3 flights a day so why even bother?

jetero

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:47 pm

COflyerBOS wrote:
Maui

At one point CO had 2x daily HNL and 1x daily OGG, right? Or is my memory failing me?

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Based on whats listed:

I think they should partner with a prop carrier for markets like those. Then also expand into, at the very least, DAY, GSO, and CID.
It is what it is...

thomasphoto60

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 pm

jetero wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Based on whats listed:

Of the routes you listed above, I think TYR stuck around the longest. If I recall, CO started turboprop flights to these destinations twice, once in the mid-90s and once after. I think TYR and ACT started twice. ABI and SJT were only in the first generation and were never restored. DRT came in the second generation and actually stuck around for a while.

BPT was a very long served destination, VCT being another (but not as long as BPT). BPT is technically still "served" by charter bus--the buses leave from the Terminal a "icehouse," (gates A1/2/3).

I'm wondering how much longer CLL will stick around--down to 3 flights a day so why even bother?

As for GGG, according to one of the clients I was shooting for, COEX did service Longview, but again, this was back well before UA. As for SPS, I am thinking that there was a route to Wichita Falls again, many moons ago. Anywho, I'll defer to those "old timers" who know more. Still, I would hope to see some of these routes restored one day.
"Show me the Braniffs"

thomasphoto60

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Based on whats listed:

I think they should partner with a prop carrier for markets like those. Then also expand into, at the very least, DAY, GSO, and CID.

Agreed, you'll get no argument from me.
"Show me the Braniffs"

jetero

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
jetero wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:

As for GGG, according to one of the clients I was shooting for, COEX did service Longview, but again, this was back well before UA. As for SPS, I am thinking that there was a route to Wichita Falls again, many moons ago. Anywho, I'll defer to those "old timers" who know more. Still, I would hope to see some of these routes restored one day.

GGG not that I can remember but maybe Metro flew it. Heck Metro flew IAH to the Clear Lake STOLPort, SGR, and Lake Jackson. Don't think they flew to GLS though.

LFK was definitely served, as was OCH (not on COEX, though). TXK yes by COEX.

I do think you're right about SPS--I think TI used to fly it.

thomasphoto60

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:31 pm

jetero wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Heck Metro flew IAH to the Clear Lake STOLPort, SGR, and Lake Jackson.

Wow.....the STOLPort, I have always been fascinated by this unique airport, sadly it was gone well before I moved to Texas. I have been searching high and lo for images (especially interior shots) of this interesting period in Houston aviation history.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Air ... #clearlake
"Show me the Braniffs"

COflyerBOS

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:52 am

CO/UA handed the state over to American at those smaller markets. Maybe it was smart short term, but long term it's going to be hard to recover.

It's also amazing to see Love service gone and service to the big Texas cities slashed as well. Used to be 10-13 flights day at the major airports all on mainline.

Yeah, I get it. Less need for the Houston hub now that CO has been absorbed, but sad to see. My brother lives in San Angelo. When I lived in Boston, I always connected at IAH but that option is gone. Only option is DFW.

jplatts

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 am

Delta could add nonstop service from IAH to LAX since Delta does not currently serve LAX nonstop from IAH, since LAX is one of the top destinations from both IAH and HOU, and since Delta serves other major Texas destinations nonstop from LAX, including DFW, AUS, and SAT.

jplatts

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:56 am

Virgin America had previously considered serving Houston prior to its merger with Alaska Airlines, but Virgin America has never started service out of either Houston airport. Alaska Airlines and/or Virgin America could add nonstop service to SFO and LAX out of IAH.

Croden

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Wasn't TAP looking into Houston at all?

thomasphoto60

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Croden wrote:
Wasn't TAP looking into Houston at all?

Not that I am aware of. Not sure there is much of a demand between LIS and IAH.
"Show me the Braniffs"

ibhalla

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:08 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Based on whats listed:

OF COURSE!!! But I'd like to see more heavies as well. :)
Houstonian avgeek (is that a thing?) and frequent flyer. Qantas is my fav airline. (JetBlue is a close 2nd.)

AMERICAN757

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:19 pm

It sounds like United wants to boost connecting traffic at their hubs, so maybe we will see a few more long haul and ultra long haul flights and that could allow domestic growth as well to feed them.

I am curious with SYD coming on if there will be potential to stick 787s on a few other routes as well since it sounds like they may keep the 787 pilot base open now.

jetblastdubai

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Does IAH offer competitive fees compared to other competing airports? Landing fees, passenger/TSA fees, terminal rental etc. I'm guessing SFO, ORD and EWR have relatively high fees compared to the less-competitive hubs around. A-net tells us all about the passenger fees at IAD and how that might restrict any growth there.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

AAvgeek744

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm

jetero wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Based on whats listed:

Seems to me most of these make more sense routing through DFW. I believe AA still serves them all, but frequency is way down. Back in the ATR days, and even some ER4's cities like SPS and ABI had a minimum of eight flights each.

danimarroquin

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 pm

the numbers from BOG to USA says it all , AV its truly contemplating the flight to IAH for next year !

MIA 696,895
FLL 267,347
JFK 258,027
IAH 118,118
MCO 102,954
LAX 86,493
ATL 58,649
EWR 52,983
IAD 37,969
DFW 31,747
BOS 19,060
ORD 18,310
SFO 12,494
TPA 12,187
BWI 6,640
LAS 6,391

jplatts

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Southwest could also further expand domestically out of HOU by adding nonstop service from HOU to CVG, CLE, DTW, SDF, MSP, and SMF and bringing back nonstop service from HOU to EWR, LIT, and PHL.

thomasphoto60

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 pm

danimarroquin wrote:
the numbers from BOG to USA says it all , AV its truly contemplating the flight to IAH for next year !

MIA 696,895
FLL 267,347
JFK 258,027
IAH 118,118
MCO 102,954
LAX 86,493
ATL 58,649
EWR 52,983
IAD 37,969
DFW 31,747
BOS 19,060
ORD 18,310
SFO 12,494
TPA 12,187
BWI 6,640
LAS 6,391

Has AV suggested or hinted at an IAH-BOG service? It is interesting that IAH has all of these far afield Asian services from numerous Asian operators, yet so few Latin carriers. Suffice it to say UA and CO before the merger is largely responsible for that with their 'Fortress' mindset regarding IAH and Latin America. I would welcome Avianca (Colombia), Latam, GOL, Azul, though I am not holding my breath on seeing any of these until UA loosens its grip on IAH.
"Show me the Braniffs"

thomasphoto60

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:12 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
danimarroquin wrote:

MIA 696,895
FLL 267,347
JFK 258,027
IAH 118,118
MCO 102,954
LAX 86,493
ATL 58,649
EWR 52,983
IAD 37,969
DFW 31,747
BOS 19,060
ORD 18,310
SFO 12,494
TPA 12,187
BWI 6,640
LAS 6,391

Has AV suggested or hinted at an IAH-BOG service? It is interesting that IAH has all of these far afield Asian services from numerous Asian operators, yet so few Latin carriers from nearby Central and South America, as well as the Caribbean. Suffice it to say UA and CO before the merger is largely responsible for that with their 'Fortress' mindset regarding IAH and Latin America. I would welcome Avianca (Colombia), Latam, GOL, Azul, though I am not holding my breath on seeing any of these until UA loosens its grip on IAH.
"Show me the Braniffs"

AAvgeek744

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 pm

danimarroquin wrote:

MIA 696,895
FLL 267,347
JFK 258,027
IAH 118,118
MCO 102,954
LAX 86,493
ATL 58,649
EWR 52,983
IAD 37,969
DFW 31,747
BOS 19,060
ORD 18,310
SFO 12,494
TPA 12,187
BWI 6,640
LAS 6,391

Wow, some destination numbers are surprising. Makes me wonder why AA even tries from DFW, even on a 319.

Freshside3

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 pm

No good reason for either TLV or LIS, at all.
BCN, maybe.
HKG......yes, definitely.....
The former CO trip to CDG is sorely missed
BGI, GCM, EYW, CTG would be good choices
Maybe weekend service to BKG?

CHI2DFW

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
danimarroquin wrote:

MIA 696,895
FLL 267,347
JFK 258,027
IAH 118,118
MCO 102,954
LAX 86,493
ATL 58,649
EWR 52,983
IAD 37,969
DFW 31,747
BOS 19,060
ORD 18,310
SFO 12,494
TPA 12,187
BWI 6,640
LAS 6,391

Has AV suggested or hinted at an IAH-BOG service? It is interesting that IAH has all of these far afield Asian services from numerous Asian operators, yet so few Latin carriers from nearby Central and South America, as well as the Caribbean. Suffice it to say UA and CO before the merger is largely responsible for that with their 'Fortress' mindset regarding IAH and Latin America. I would welcome Avianca (Colombia), Latam, GOL, Azul, though I am not holding my breath on seeing any of these until UA loosens its grip on IAH.

DFW on connections. IAH should work for AV along with ORD.

I agree with people above that MW and SE cities make much more sense than BOM, TLV, etc.

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:48 am

Freshside3 wrote:
BCN, maybe.

Why HKG? There is no real O&D from IAH to there and there are no connections worthwhile that ORD,SFO, and EWR don't completely cover.
It is what it is...

indcwby

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:52 am

I'm gonna throw this out there. IAH-FCO or CAI?

ibhalla

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
It sounds like United wants to boost connecting traffic at their hubs, so maybe we will see a few more long haul and ultra long haul flights and that could allow domestic growth as well to feed them.

I am curious with SYD coming on if there will be potential to stick 787s on a few other routes as well since it sounds like they may keep the 787 pilot base open now.

WeLl see. IAH would be a good base for the 788 especially. I'd be willing to say that once the price of oil goes up, IAH to Lagos will be reinstated, although this time on a 787. I would say maybe 787s to an eventual CDG, and all the 767s that operate to South America will have to be replaced eventually. I hear that MUC could be switched to a 787 flight this summer, and a Maui flight would be on a 787 most likely.
Houstonian avgeek (is that a thing?) and frequent flyer. Qantas is my fav airline. (JetBlue is a close 2nd.)

ibhalla

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:36 am

How about Norwegian to any of their long haul bases. I don't think it'll happen for a while but does anybody even think it's possible?

fjmm92

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
BCN, maybe.

This S17, United Airlines has a load factor of 93% EWR-BCN and 89% IAD-BCN. I think is time to increase capacity to BCN next S18 by adding a third route, IAH-BCN operated by a B763... in addition, IAD-BCN route could be year-round...

What do you think?

Freshside3

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:03 pm

fjmm92 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
BCN, maybe.

This S17, United Airlines has a load factor of 93% EWR-BCN and 89% IAD-BCN. I think is time to increase capacity to BCN next S18 by adding a third route, IAH-BCN operated by a B763... in addition, IAD-BCN route could be year-round...

What do you think?

Lots of people going to BCN from here in the West Coast----especially in the latter part of Summer. Was not so sure how if that would translate into a good reason to add IAH-BCN....but with the figures you have, I would now say definitely yes!

Freshside3

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:10 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
BCN, maybe.

Why HKG? There is no real O&D from IAH to there and there are no connections worthwhile that ORD,SFO, and EWR don't completely cover.

Lots of people go to China in Texas. Feed-in from secondary TX markets, not just IAD locals. Same can be said for Vietnam, too, and IAH-HKG can be the link in between all of it.

Freshside3

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:12 pm

indcwby wrote:
I'm gonna throw this out there. IAH-FCO or CAI?

Outside chance for CAI.....you have MS covering both coasts to Egypt(JFK and LAX), but nothing in the middle. Lots of Arabs and Middle Easterners in Texas.

FCO......no local market for it........SFO is who really needs it.

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
BCN, maybe.

Lots of people go to China in Texas. Feed-in from secondary TX markets, not just IAD locals. Same can be said for Vietnam, too, and IAH-HKG can be the link in between all of it.

Again though, IAH-HKG is a small market. Those secondary markets can connect just fine in DFW, ORD, SFO, LAX, etc.
It is what it is...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos