Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXdude1023

Re: DL Future Expansion

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Sightseer wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Oh but they do you should not be so naive Delta is run on ego.

Considering DL's financial and operational performance the past seven years, I find this claim patently absurd.

You don’t get that he was being sarcastic?

I dont think he was given his post history....

jbs2886

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Sightseer wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Oh but they do you should not be so naive Delta is run on ego.

Considering DL's financial and operational performance the past seven years, I find this claim patently absurd.

You don’t get that he was being sarcastic?

Read the thread (and his other posts), he was not being sarcastic.

winginit

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 pm

beerbus wrote:
DL will use the A350 to accomplish the NRT pull-down. As new A/C are delivered, one should expect new TPAC flights- particularly from DTW, flying non-stop to historically served points south of NRT.

Disagree. I think Ed has made it clear in townhalls and the like that the Korean JV and associated connections over ICN will be the offset to the NRT pull-down as opposed to any new flying from DTW to destinations traditionally served over NRT.

beerbus

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 am

winginit wrote:
beerbus wrote:
DL will use the A350 to accomplish the NRT pull-down. As new A/C are delivered, one should expect new TPAC flights- particularly from DTW, flying non-stop to historically served points south of NRT.

Disagree. I think Ed has made it clear in townhalls and the like that the Korean JV and associated connections over ICN will be the offset to the NRT pull-down as opposed to any new flying from DTW to destinations traditionally served over NRT.

With respect, I suggest my information comes from non-rumor based sources, and from my own management-based tenure in the markets and with airlines involved. While not all the destinations I listed will immediately be initiated, at least two of them could possibly commence in the next 24 months. And DL nor Ed Bastian are going to state it's future route plans in a townhall.

If KE was going to take over all of the south of NRT flying, DL wouldn't be taking delivery of 13 A350's by the end of 2018. There wouldn't be a need for all that capacity. Consider the MNL market- it's a big market. It's not all junk yield. Dl has been losing traffic to the midwest/south because of the double connection over NRT and DTW to interior cities. The great circle route is the fastest route between the two cities- and the A350 is the right-sized aircraft.

Again, the the A350 was acquired to fly TPAC. It is an A/C that will expand DL's TPAC route-map.

The KE ICN hub will serve a purpose similar to AMS does for east bound traffic from DTW. In this scenario, major city pairs from either hub are served directly via N/S service, while the inter-hub relay flights (DTW AMS or DTW ICN) are used to feed downline markets that cannot support n/s service. It will provide JV connections to numerous Asian markets that were not as convenient/profitable in a non-JV environment. Those new connecting passengers are a primary revenue benefit from the JV/anti-trust immunity for DL and KE. Anti-trust immunity provided a similar boost in TATL marketshare and revenue for both KL and NW when that JV commenced in the early-mid 90's.

The KL/NW JV helped drive corporate agreements- the revenue driver of high yield traffic. The agreements were/are generated by BOTH airlines on both sides of the ocean. The agreements drove increased traffic over N/S flights to between DTW and AMS, and flights to markets beyond AMS E/B and W/B over DTW. The aggregate new traffic generated via corporate agreements allowed new service from DTW to markets previously not served. Think LHR, MUC, and FRA for example.

The same phenomena will occur for DL with the KE JV. The JV will generate new passengers, even on non-stop TPAC flights that avoid the ICN hub. I know- it sounds counter-intuitive. But it actually happens. It occurred in the NW/KL situation. It will happen with KE/DL. And it's why the A350 will serve NEW TPAC markets from DTW. To understand- think beyond DTW. Think IND, SDF, CMH, DAY, and BUF for example. Those cities will help drive these new flights.

Lastly, DL would rather keep the high-yield traffic in many of the markets I previously outlined to itself, rather than split the revenue via JV prorates over ICN.

Darklord1

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:21 am

The JV also might make future TPAC routes from SEA.

IPFreely

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Yeah you are totally right, that is why Delta just added MCO-AMS and CDG-IND

Indiana taxpayers are giving Delta 5.5 million dollars to fly IND-CDG 3 times a week until the money runs out. That’s not growth, it’s welfare. Orlando to Amsterdam add cancels out Delta dropping Seattle to London in favor of Virgin Atlantic operating the route. Meanwhile, Delta has announced lower capacity in DTW the past two weeks and lower capacity in SEA for four weeks in a row before that. One addition and two reductions does not add up to net growth. So where is the mainline (not Korean, not Virgin Atlantic, and not Delta Connection) net growth?

Indy

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Indiana taxpayers are giving Delta 5.5 million dollars to fly IND-CDG 3 times a week until the money runs out. That’s not growth, it’s welfare. Orlando to Amsterdam add cancels out Delta dropping Seattle to London in favor of Virgin Atlantic operating the route. Meanwhile, Delta has announced lower capacity in DTW the past two weeks and lower capacity in SEA for four weeks in a row before that. One addition and two reductions does not add up to net growth. So where is the mainline (not Korean, not Virgin Atlantic, and not Delta Connection) net growth?

Actually IND-CDG is daily until some time in September and then goes 5x weekly. DL can earn up to $5.5 million. It is performance based where DL earns more by selling more seats instead of selling less.

Midwestindy

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Indy wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Actually IND-CDG is daily until some time in September and then goes 5x weekly. DL can earn up to $5.5 million. It is performance based where DL earns more by selling more seats instead of selling less.

As Indy mentioned, it's not really welfare, if DL doesn't meet the pax requirements they get 0 dollars. Plus, growth is still growth whether or not it is being incentivized...

I will also mention the fact that DL is also adding JFK-LOS, ATL-LIS, 3rd daily DTW-CDG, JFK-PDL, LAX-AMS/CDG, in addition to IND-CDG and MCO-AMS

http://news.delta.com/delta-s-trans-atl ... stinations

zackary747

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Indy wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

As Indy mentioned, it's not really welfare, if DL doesn't meet the pax requirements they get 0 dollars. Plus, growth is still growth whether or not it is being incentivized...

I will also mention the fact that DL is also adding JFK-LOS, ATL-LIS, 3rd daily DTW-CDG, JFK-PDL, LAX-AMS/CDG, in addition to IND-CDG and MCO-AMS

Agreed. It's NOT welfare. You have to invest in yourself through incentives in order to get growth. That's just an economic fact.

IND paid UA 4 years ago to do IND-SFO. Now it's all market demand. You just simply have to give incentives out for new, foreign routes (That have some proof of potential demand of course). It's just a fact.

AUS gave BA incentives, BNA is giving incentives. Like I said, you have to invest in yourself through incentives for growth. End of story. Those incentives become a competition factor between airports.

winginit

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:05 pm

beerbus wrote:
winginit wrote:
beerbus wrote:

With respect, I suggest my information comes from non-rumor based sources, and from my own management-based tenure in the markets and with airlines involved. While not all the destinations I listed will immediately be initiated, at least two of them could possibly commence in the next 24 months. And DL nor Ed Bastian are going to state it's future route plans in a townhall.

Good for you. I make no secret of the fact that I have in the past consulted directly for Delta and other members of the US3 in a commercial capacity, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't put any more weight in your theories based on your claimed sources. Let's get specific then:

Of the 9 fifth freedoms over NRT, DL already serves three of them nonstop from DTW, leaving us with six that could hypothetically be launched nonstop from DTW presumably using the A350. ROR is out for reasons that don't warrant discussion, SIN is too far to serve without a crippling weight restriction, and BKK has proven time and time again that the yield climate is simply too challenging to warrant the cost, so those are all out leaving HKG, MNL, and TPE.

Sure, there's some premium traffic to MNL, but not enough to warrant a speculative nonstop launch with a brand new premium set of products, and HKG is bleeding so badly out of SEA that I'd be truly shocked if Delta rolled the dice with a DTW-HKG nonstop service, leaving us with TPE, which I suppose is possible but still likely doesn't warrant a nonstop when it can be so easily served over ICN.

BKK (Yield)
HKG
ICN (Already served)
MNL (Yield)
PEK (Already served)
PVG (Already served)
ROR (No)
SIN (8,100+ nm is out of A350 range)
TPE

You may have some contrasting thoughts to the above, but I'd be curious as to specifically which two markets you think DL might launch nonstop from DTW via an A350 in the coming 24 months, because I'd gladly bet against that wager. Even if it's an additional nonstop (let's say TPE or HKG maybe), that's hardly enough to justify the claim that the A350 out of DTW is somehow replacing fifth freedom flying over NRT.

alfa164

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 pm

winginit wrote:
beerbus wrote:
winginit wrote:

Good for you. I make no secret of the fact that I have in the past consulted directly for Delta and other members of the US3 in a commercial capacity, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't put any more weight in your theories based on your claimed sources. Let's get specific then:
Of the 9 fifth freedoms over NRT, DL already serves three of them nonstop from DTW, leaving us with six that could hypothetically be launched nonstop from DTW presumably using the A350. ROR is out for reasons that don't warrant discussion, SIN is too far to serve without a crippling weight restriction, and BKK has proven time and time again that the yield climate is simply too challenging to warrant the cost, so those are all out leaving HKG, MNL, and TPE.
Sure, there's some premium traffic to MNL, but not enough to warrant a speculative nonstop launch with a brand new premium set of products, and HKG is bleeding so badly out of SEA that I'd be truly shocked if Delta rolled the dice with a DTW-HKG nonstop service, leaving us with TPE, which I suppose is possible but still likely doesn't warrant a nonstop when it can be so easily served over ICN.
BKK (Yield)
HKG
ICN (Already served)
MNL (Yield)
PEK (Already served)
PVG (Already served)
ROR (No)
TPE
You may have some contrasting thoughts to the above, but I'd be curious as to specifically which two markets you think DL might launch nonstop from DTW via an A350 in the coming 24 months, because I'd gladly bet against that wager. Even if it's an additional nonstop (let's say TPE or HKG maybe), that's hardly enough to justify the claim that the A350 out of DTW is somehow replacing fifth freedom flying over NRT.

Is Saipan not a 5th freedom route?

winginit

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 pm

alfa164 wrote:
winginit wrote:
beerbus wrote:

BKK (Yield)
HKG
ICN (Already served)
MNL (Yield)
PEK (Already served)
PVG (Already served)
ROR (No)
TPE

Is Saipan not a 5th freedom route?

I believe it technically isn't (nor is GUM) as they're both considered part of the US and are thus services between Japan and the United States.

jubguy3

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:40 pm

DL will only serve primary Asian routes from DTW. If they are going to serve secondary routes like SIN, its going to be from SEA. DTW is out of the way for most of the country, and the majority of people who are travelling to East Asia. DTW exists to funnel all southeastern and eastern seabord TPAC flights on Delta through one hub, but for smaller markets that need the additional passengers from every market out of the way of DTW, SEA exists - and that's why I don't expect to see anything at DTW that we won't first see at SEA.

winginit

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:50 am

jubguy3 wrote:
DL will only serve primary Asian routes from DTW. If they are going to serve secondary routes like SIN, its going to be from SEA. DTW is out of the way for most of the country, and the majority of people who are travelling to East Asia. DTW exists to funnel all southeastern and eastern seabord TPAC flights on Delta through one hub, but for smaller markets that need the additional passengers from every market out of the way of DTW, SEA exists - and that's why I don't expect to see anything at DTW that we won't first see at SEA.

Spot on.

klm617

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:54 pm

jubguy3 wrote:

I agree plus most Asian markets can be reached from Seattle with a variety of aircraft sizes making it much easier for Delta to adjust capacity to meet the demand and keep premiums high from a 767 to an A350. Only Delta's largest aircraft can reach Asia from Detroit giving them very little flexibility to adjust capacity other than reducing frequency to less than daily. Delta only just recently had a big win at Detroit by retiring the 747-400 in favor of a much smaller aircraft to reduce capacity and that's about all they can do .

beerbus

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 am

winginit wrote:
beerbus wrote:
winginit wrote:

No need to to to get snarky here. This is a friendly discussion. I only stated my background to give more credence to my writing, as I spent nearly 20 years in the markets I discussed employed with the carriers involved. And my sources aren't "claimed." They're just discrete. And because I am not interested in disclosing confidential information, I wrote in generalities.

But as you stated, most of the South markets from NRT are not viable, and I agree with you.

Regarding two of the markets I previously discussed:

MNL: The market is a bit larger than many realize. There is significant Filipino traffic between the two countries. Over the years, the income of Balikbayan expats has grown, further stimulating demand, and lessening the demand for "bucket shop" type fares. That coupled with increased business related traffic make the route a possible DTW add. NW flew full 744's between NGO and MNL. The A350 is the right sized AC to pick up that demand from DTW instead of NRT.

HKG. A little bit tougher environment that MNL, but again the 744 was too big between from DTW. The loads were good, but yields were only fair, because of dilution resulting from too many seats on the whale. The reduced seat inventory will help improve yields, and provide an important missing link to Asia from the midwest and east for DL's high yield generating corporate agreement customers.

Cheers!

DeltaRules

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:00 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Indy wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

And it probably won't happen for next summer now but, on top of that, CRAA explicitly mentioned being in talks with DL about CMH-CDG or -AMS the day before IND-CDG was announced.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos