User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4163
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:48 pm

OA260 wrote:
5am flights from DUB seem a great idea. Also being recently discussed elsewhere about Christmas Day opening of Dublin Airport. As DUB expands and so many international flights to various parts of the world it becomes more realistic.


Yes, it's quite smart - some people do travel over Christmas so there's no real excuse for the airport to be closed.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
KIRFlyer
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:59 pm

NichCage wrote:
Nice to hear about CX flying to DUB. The longest runway at DUB is under 9,000 feet, so would there be any weight limits?

Otherwise, DUB seems to look like a mess. T2 cannot handle all EI flights, and not all jet bridges can be used at one time. T1 also seems to be pretty busy. Add Ryanair to the mix and the airport is even messier.

Will there ever be a Terminal 1 or a Terminal 2 expansion in the future?


This was a graphic that was used in some presentation/brief a few years back:

https://goo.gl/images/qqeRGx
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 pm

NichCage wrote:
Nice to hear about CX flying to DUB. The longest runway at DUB is under 9,000 feet, so would there be any weight limits?

Otherwise, DUB seems to look like a mess. T2 cannot handle all EI flights, and not all jet bridges can be used at one time. T1 also seems to be pretty busy. Add Ryanair to the mix and the airport is even messier.

Will there ever be a Terminal 1 or a Terminal 2 expansion in the future?


T2 was never intended to handle all EI flights, as for the air bridge comment, of course not but all narrow bodies can. It would of been poor planning to design it as a wide body pier exclusively.

LH982 wrote:
It's pretty much at capacity for the morning rush at 6am. EI already using all the cargo centre stands with bussing from T2.

B gates also used but mainly in a left and right configuration which means you can fit 2 A320s on one stand. It also means boarding by stairs. CX arriving next summer potentially means EI have to find somewhere imaginative to park 2 A320s, or start the morning flights at 5am.


New pre boarding zone due to open very soon, it will deliver 6 extra stands (not 100% but think 6) and EI will operate a lot of SH flights there daily and will result in more LH gates at T2 in the morning and cut the number of flights at B pier.
 
LH982
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:

New pre boarding zone due to open very soon, it will deliver 6 extra stands (not 100% but think 6) and EI will operate a lot of SH flights there daily and will result in more LH gates at T2 in the morning and cut the number of flights at B pier.


Sounds really interesting. Have you any idea where the stands will be located and if EI are making any allowances for our beautiful winters. A few sets of covered steps could make a big difference.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 pm

LH982 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

New pre boarding zone due to open very soon, it will deliver 6 extra stands (not 100% but think 6) and EI will operate a lot of SH flights there daily and will result in more LH gates at T2 in the morning and cut the number of flights at B pier.


Sounds really interesting. Have you any idea where the stands will be located and if EI are making any allowances for our beautiful winters. A few sets of covered steps could make a big difference.


Between Cargo and Pier 4, there will be a continua bus shuttle transferring passengers regularly. It will handle around 8,000 per day. EI have worked with the daa and it's more less designed how they want it. It will be around for 5-6 years (current planning),
 
horizon360
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:48 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
Yes but neither Finnair nor BA have a product remotely close to CX in terms of product


Finnair uses the same Zodiac business class seats as CX on the A350s which it flies to HKG (albeit in a slightly tighter configuration). Unless you are referring to their short-haul fleet?
 
LH982
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:05 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:

Between Cargo and Pier 4, there will be a continua bus shuttle transferring passengers regularly. It will handle around 8,000 per day. EI have worked with the daa and it's more less designed how they want it. It will be around for 5-6 years (current planning),


Ah, got it, so it's a bit of a formalisation of what they do for the morning rush today, but with it's own dedicated gate area. Thanks
 
LH982
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:19 pm

horizon360 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
Yes but neither Finnair nor BA have a product remotely close to CX in terms of product


Finnair uses the same Zodiac business class seats as CX on the A350s which it flies to HKG (albeit in a slightly tighter configuration). Unless you are referring to their short-haul fleet?


I don't think there's a lot of difference in the hard product, but the service and little touches arent as luxurious. It's a bit more like atlantic EI, but to be honest its excellent and I'd take it over most of the premium European carriers any day.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:05 pm

LH982 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Between Cargo and Pier 4, there will be a continua bus shuttle transferring passengers regularly. It will handle around 8,000 per day. EI have worked with the daa and it's more less designed how they want it. It will be around for 5-6 years (current planning),


Ah, got it, so it's a bit of a formalisation of what they do for the morning rush today, but with it's own dedicated gate area. Thanks


Yeah but much better and there will be some facilities in the pre-zone for passengers as well.

This is an a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgF4q8_05Uk
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4163
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:28 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Yeah but much better and there will be some facilities in the pre-zone for passengers as well.

This is an a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgF4q8_05Uk


Interesting, it reminds me of all those temporary gates that were there before the 100 gates were built. Hopefully it's not there too long as temporary facilities generally suck from a passenger perspective.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
AirbusA343
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 pm

EI140 and EI141 cancelled on Sunday due to the potential of Irma to strike (I assume this has been said on the other thread but it is nice to keep all the stuff together).
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:30 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Yeah but much better and there will be some facilities in the pre-zone for passengers as well.

This is an a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgF4q8_05Uk


Interesting, it reminds me of all those temporary gates that were there before the 100 gates were built. Hopefully it's not there too long as temporary facilities generally suck from a passenger perspective.


Yeah not an ideal solution but I think it will work pretty well. It will be a much better than the 100 gates at least for staff no more searching for cardboard destination signs to put over gates :).
 
OffalyAir
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:32 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:16 pm

T3 plans are still kicking around. How good or bad is having an independent terminal at the airport or should it be another DAA controlled or at least owned one?


Aviation entrepreneurs Ulick and Des McEvaddy are aiming to exit Nama by the end of the year after securing money from a small US bank that specialises in the aerospace sector.

It is understood the loans secured on a site adjacent to the airport were considered by Nama for inclusion in a sale by the bad bank in the absence of an offer for the full value of the debt. But sources familiar with the negotiations said the brothers would repay the loans in full by Christmas.
News of their impending exit follows revelations earlier this year that a Dubai-based organisation had agreed to back the McEvaddy's multi-decade-long battle to construct a terminal on a 130-acre parcel of land beside Dublin Airport, which they control along with other stakeholders.


http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/ ... 07118.html
 
Jayafe
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Seeing how poorly handled are the current facilities, I would give private owners a shot, definitely.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 pm

Jayafe wrote:
Seeing how poorly handled are the current facilities, I would give private owners a shot, definitely.


Private terminal won't solve the core problem at DUB. I think the daa get a lot of flack for a busy airport but by in large the passenger experience is pretty good.
 
LH982
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 am

Biggest problems for me are apron/taxiway congestion and lack of a rail link.

I've always thought the passenger experience is good, in a lived in, rough around the edges way. Another plus is that most of the people who work there are genuinely friendly
 
BestWestern
Posts: 7765
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:53 am

The biggest issue with T1 is the poor level of cleaning. The building is grimy, especially on arrivals.

T2 looks great.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:04 am

I really do hope daa are also exploring plans for a midfield terminal along with the second runway. The pressure will be on for DUB to keep up with demand, if it can't the demand simply goes elsewhere.
 
Jayafe
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 am

VFRonTop wrote:
I really do hope daa are also exploring plans for a midfield terminal along with the second runway. The pressure will be on for DUB to keep up with demand, if it can't the demand simply goes elsewhere.


Currently stuck in the mud due to legal/planning issues:

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/102263/0/
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:58 am

Suggestion elsewhere than SNN-Canada service will be announced soon. No idea how credible.
 
stratocruiser
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:23 pm

BestWestern wrote:
The biggest issue with T1 is the poor level of cleaning. The building is grimy, especially on arrivals.

T2 looks great.


Building a T3, whether run by the DAA or privately, for low cost airlines could certainly take a lot of the pressure off T1 and allow significant refurbishment to take place. I would think however that there is also a pressing need for more contact gates/pier(s) to minimise the need to bus passengers to their aircraft but, if these were to serve T2, then relocation of the cargo terminal to newly built facilities elsewhere on the airport would be required.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22218
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pm

OffalyAir wrote:
T3 plans are still kicking around. How good or bad is having an independent terminal at the airport or should it be another DAA controlled or at least owned one?


Aviation entrepreneurs Ulick and Des McEvaddy are aiming to exit Nama by the end of the year after securing money from a small US bank that specialises in the aerospace sector.

It is understood the loans secured on a site adjacent to the airport were considered by Nama for inclusion in a sale by the bad bank in the absence of an offer for the full value of the debt. But sources familiar with the negotiations said the brothers would repay the loans in full by Christmas.
News of their impending exit follows revelations earlier this year that a Dubai-based organisation had agreed to back the McEvaddy's multi-decade-long battle to construct a terminal on a 130-acre parcel of land beside Dublin Airport, which they control along with other stakeholders.


http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/ ... 07118.html


There are pros and cons but generally Im in support of it.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9226
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:33 pm

OA260 wrote:
OffalyAir wrote:
T3 plans are still kicking around. How good or bad is having an independent terminal at the airport or should it be another DAA controlled or at least owned one?


Aviation entrepreneurs Ulick and Des McEvaddy are aiming to exit Nama by the end of the year after securing money from a small US bank that specialises in the aerospace sector.

It is understood the loans secured on a site adjacent to the airport were considered by Nama for inclusion in a sale by the bad bank in the absence of an offer for the full value of the debt. But sources familiar with the negotiations said the brothers would repay the loans in full by Christmas.
News of their impending exit follows revelations earlier this year that a Dubai-based organisation had agreed to back the McEvaddy's multi-decade-long battle to construct a terminal on a 130-acre parcel of land beside Dublin Airport, which they control along with other stakeholders.


http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/ ... 07118.html


There are pros and cons but generally Im in support of it.


I support it too; things are moving upwards for DUB and as things stand, terminal capacity seems to be limited. If we want to compete with the likes of Singapore, Hong Kong and other major economies in the global village, we need to show that we are capable of showing vision and acting on it. Look at Changi; is there any real reason why we can't demonstrate the kind of vision, farsightedness and forward planning that it has done? Much as I like T2, the process that led to its construction must not be repeated:
- We waited until the existing facilities were overcrowded and uncomfortable to use; planning should have been under way LONG before that
- There was very little leadership or interest in aviation at government level, so the pressure didn't come from "on high" until pressure was brought on them to get moving
- Planning was very short term and not driven by long term needs, but rather by the wish of the DAA to keep full control; that meant shoe-horning the new facility into an area which manifestly lacked growth options
- Lessons should have been learned from that, to plan well ahead ... but look at us now, approaching EXACTLY the same situation.

--------------------------

On the issue of Canada, has a new bilateral been agreed? I've heard rumours of new routes being imminent (not just SNN-Canada, as mentioned above). Good news if true!
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 4874
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:58 pm

The next A330 for Aer Lingus is flying.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146519169 ... zAK-YiVvZD

Will be EI-GCF.

Aer Lingus are also running a pretty big advertising campaign for their current sale. Some very competitive fares available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJjJXX7Gots

Getting in the mood for winter already.

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Suggestion elsewhere than SNN-Canada service will be announced soon. No idea how credible.

First thought was Norwegian but they don't (can't?) fly to Canada. Maybe someone on the Canadian side, WestJet with a 737 summer service or the return Air Transat seem possible with Air Canada Rouge as an outside chance.

Air Transat will be one to watch in the future anyway, what with their A321LR order now on the books.
 
EI564
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 9:05 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 pm

The location of T2 was the cheaper option because it could take advantage of the existing road infrastructure. I don't think there is a cheap option for the next pier. Whatever ends up being picked.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 pm

BestWestern wrote:
The biggest issue with T1 is the poor level of cleaning. The building is grimy, especially on arrivals.

T2 looks great.


daa had plans to give T1 a major face lift however airlines were not keen so the regulator didn't allow it. Hence why no major changes have happen.

VFRonTop wrote:
I really do hope daa are also exploring plans for a midfield terminal along with the second runway. The pressure will be on for DUB to keep up with demand, if it can't the demand simply goes elsewhere.


Not plans for T3 anytime soon.

stratocruiser wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
The biggest issue with T1 is the poor level of cleaning. The building is grimy, especially on arrivals.

T2 looks great.


Building a T3, whether run by the DAA or privately, for low cost airlines could certainly take a lot of the pressure off T1 and allow significant refurbishment to take place. I would think however that there is also a pressing need for more contact gates/pier(s) to minimise the need to bus passengers to their aircraft but, if these were to serve T2, then relocation of the cargo terminal to newly built facilities elsewhere on the airport would be required.


As I said above, airlines don't want it refurbished so if the daa spend millions doing it they have no guarantee of recovering the costs. I would imagine some form of spending may be given the go ahead in the next determination of charges from 2019.

shamrock350 wrote:
The next A330 for Aer Lingus is flying.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146519169 ... zAK-YiVvZD

Will be EI-GCF.

Aer Lingus are also running a pretty big advertising campaign for their current sale. Some very competitive fares available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJjJXX7Gots

Getting in the mood for winter already.

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Suggestion elsewhere than SNN-Canada service will be announced soon. No idea how credible.

First thought was Norwegian but they don't (can't?) fly to Canada. Maybe someone on the Canadian side, WestJet with a 737 summer service or the return Air Transat seem possible with Air Canada Rouge as an outside chance.

Air Transat will be one to watch in the future anyway, what with their A321LR order now on the books.


Kind of think TS will return with a weekly direct or via DUB service.
 
Ticketyboo
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 am

horizon360 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
Yes but neither Finnair nor BA have a product remotely close to CX in terms of product


Finnair uses the same Zodiac business class seats as CX on the A350s which it flies to HKG (albeit in a slightly tighter configuration). Unless you are referring to their short-haul fleet?


No, not just the hard product, but the full CX experience including the home base post check-in service at their lounges in HK etc., in addition to the in flight service beyond just the seat. I looked at Finnair as an option for a trip to SE Asia recently and it just wasn't up to it.

I'm curious as to what terminal in DUB they'll use, T1 is not in keeping with their product standards, and the lounge question (as has been mentioned on this thread) will have to be addressed. I wonder if OW carriers will collectively create a lounge similar to the SkyTeam setup at LHR given the complete joke that is the DAA lounges.
 
dstc47
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:53 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:59 am

kaitak wrote:
OA260 wrote:
OffalyAir wrote:

There was very little leadership or interest in aviation at government level, so the pressure didn't come from "on high" until pressure was brought on them to get moving!


Well much of it was of the "Mayor of Clare sez no........"
Has the current incumbent any thing at all to show except the "Kick it down the road" consultancy study? Sadly Dublin has far less political influence than it ought to have, we either put up with things being third rate or emigrate.

As for competition with Singapore, well we lost that one a long time ago, even if Singapore still has an odd indirect transit metro connection to the airport!
 
BestWestern
Posts: 7765
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:01 am

The DAA T1 lounge is terrible. It's boring, looks and feels cheap. I can't wait to see the new CX lounge in Singapore T4. Their new Heathrow T3 and Manila T3 lounges are fantastic. Manila T3 has itself improved dramatically over the past 18 months, and this lounge really is superb.

In saying that, the skyteam lounge in HKG isn't anything to write home about.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 7765
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 am

dstc47 wrote:
kaitak wrote:
OA260 wrote:


Well much of it was of the "Mayor of Clare sez no........"
Has the current incumbent any thing at all to show except the "Kick it down the road" consultancy study? Sadly Dublin has far less political influence than it ought to have, we either put up with things being third rate or emigrate.

As for competition with Singapore, well we lost that one a long time ago, even if Singapore still has an odd indirect transit metro connection to the airport!


The singapore airport metro link really is like watching paint dry. Just grab a cab or jump into an uber. The singapore taxi drivers are great. Chatty, informative and fun. And the cars are super clean.

Dublins taxi fleet must be one of the worst in Europe in terms of price / quality.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:30 am

The same poster who referred to to SNN-Canada service has now said DIUB will also get an announcement and it will be AC or AC Rouge. Has to be YUL if they are correct from DUB.
 
horizon360
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:48 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
No, not just the hard product, but the full CX experience including the home base post check-in service at their lounges in HK etc., in addition to the in flight service beyond just the seat. I looked at Finnair as an option for a trip to SE Asia recently and it just wasn't up to it.


But as Finnair is a Oneworld carrier you will have access to all the CX business class lounges in HKG with a Finnair business class ticket (plus the excellent Qantas lounge as well).
 
horizon360
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:48 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:40 pm

horizon360 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
No, not just the hard product, but the full CX experience including the home base post check-in service at their lounges in HK etc., in addition to the in flight service beyond just the seat. I looked at Finnair as an option for a trip to SE Asia recently and it just wasn't up to it.


But as Finnair is a Oneworld carrier you will have access to all the CX business class lounges in HKG with a Finnair business class ticket (plus the decent Qantas lounge as well).
Last edited by horizon360 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
horizon360
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:48 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:41 pm

horizon360 wrote:
horizon360 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
No, not just the hard product, but the full CX experience including the home base post check-in service at their lounges in HK etc., in addition to the in flight service beyond just the seat. I looked at Finnair as an option for a trip to SE Asia recently and it just wasn't up to it.


But as Finnair is a Oneworld carrier you will have access to all the CX business class lounges in HKG with a Finnair business class ticket (plus the decent Qantas lounge as well).
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 1889
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:07 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
The same poster who referred to to SNN-Canada service has now said DIUB will also get an announcement and it will be AC or AC Rouge. Has to be YUL if they are correct from DUB.

My hunch is a seasonal YYZ-SNN by Air Canada Rouge.

AC operated YYZ-DUB-SNN-YYZ up to 2007 and were the first carrier to leave SNN when Open Skies was implemented.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9226
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
The same poster who referred to to SNN-Canada service has now said DIUB will also get an announcement and it will be AC or AC Rouge. Has to be YUL if they are correct from DUB.


They've been expanding a bit at YUL; they recently announced a Tokyo flight and just to fly a little maple leaf kite, they'll need 2-3 aircraft to make that daily and perhaps to maximise the use of what is after all a $200m aircraft, maybe a YUL-DUB flight might be just the solution?

Alternatively, what about making YVR a mainline service; don't know how it's going so far, but although YVR is a great place, the prospect of a nine hour flight on a hand me down 767 with limited IFE is not particularly appealing.

(This all presuming that this is AC we're talking aboot, not WestJet!)
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:03 pm

kaitak wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
The same poster who referred to to SNN-Canada service has now said DIUB will also get an announcement and it will be AC or AC Rouge. Has to be YUL if they are correct from DUB.


They've been expanding a bit at YUL; they recently announced a Tokyo flight and just to fly a little maple leaf kite, they'll need 2-3 aircraft to make that daily and perhaps to maximise the use of what is after all a $200m aircraft, maybe a YUL-DUB flight might be just the solution?

Alternatively, what about making YVR a mainline service; don't know how it's going so far, but although YVR is a great place, the prospect of a nine hour flight on a hand me down 767 with limited IFE is not particularly appealing.

(This all presuming that this is AC we're talking aboot, not WestJet!)


YVR is doing well but suspect yield might not justify mainline AC yet.

Anyway ambassador Jim Kelly has said an announcement is due tomorrow.

AmricanShamrok wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
The same poster who referred to to SNN-Canada service has now said DIUB will also get an announcement and it will be AC or AC Rouge. Has to be YUL if they are correct from DUB.

My hunch is a seasonal YYZ-SNN by Air Canada Rouge.

AC operated YYZ-DUB-SNN-YYZ up to 2007 and were the first carrier to leave SNN when Open Skies was implemented.


Yeah hard to see past SNN-YYZ. I guess AC can benefit like AA/DL/EI by serving both airports which is appealing to passengers by using one in and the other out.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 7765
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 am

EI seem to be doing well in Hartford. 91% load factor in June, with May just as strong.

Another route that could see additional frequencies or a 330 next summer peak days.

Norwegian had twice the outbound pax to on inbound pax on BDL EDI in June. this points to their traffic being strongly US originating.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
leghorn
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm

US originating usually means Irish emigrants returning home to visit family but that is not how Bord Failte will interpret it.
It is good that Irish Emigrants can return home often and not gradually become strangers to their families.
Irish Government talk about wanting the emigrants to return home with obscure tax reliefs. discounting flights to and from U.S. is the best way to ensure that as many as possible return home and as a by-product some Yanks visit as tourists too or pass thru on their way elsewhere.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22218
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Airlines reluctant to give passengers more say in Dublin

Airlines at Dublin Airport are reluctant to see ordinary passengers consulted and given a bigger say about issues that impact their journeys, according to the aviation regulator.

The Commission for Aviation Regulation said in a new report that it had decided to consult on "possible ways that we can increase our focus on the needs of passengers when we make regulatory decisions about Dublin Airport

http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/ ... 16690.html
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2519
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 pm

kaitak wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
The same poster who referred to to SNN-Canada service has now said DIUB will also get an announcement and it will be AC or AC Rouge. Has to be YUL if they are correct from DUB.


They've been expanding a bit at YUL; they recently announced a Tokyo flight and just to fly a little maple leaf kite, they'll need 2-3 aircraft to make that daily and perhaps to maximise the use of what is after all a $200m aircraft, maybe a YUL-DUB flight might be just the solution?

(This all presuming that this is AC we're talking aboot, not WestJet!)


They already announced YUL-LHR and YUL-TLV as B787 routes for next summer. That`s on top of PVG, FRA already being B787 runs. That should ensure plenty of 787s are available at YUL for rotation.

If YUL-DUB gets launched, it will be on a Rouge B763. Not mainline. With YVR-LGW getting canned for next summer, all evidence is pointing to a YUL-DUB 3x weekly Rouge flight.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
EI121
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Any update on the announcement? Rather late in the day at this stage...
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22218
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Passenger numbers up 6.2% at Irish airports - CSO

Almost 9.36 million people passed through Ireland’s main airports between April and June of this year, according to the Central Statistics Office, an increase of 6.2% on the same period of 2016.

The vast majority of those were handled by Dublin Airport, which handled 85% of all airport passengers during the second quarter.

Close to 8 million passengers passed through Dublin Airport during the period – up 7.3% year on year.

However most of the country’s other main airports also saw a rise in passenger numbers between April and June, with Cork Airport enjoying a 1.9% increase to over 637,000.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0 ... -airports/
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:58 am

Dublin Airport is the main sponsor of today's Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce and Industry (NI Chamber) Networking Conference taking place in Belfast this morning.

Per the DAA website:
"As the main gateway for international visitors to Northern Ireland we help facilitate increased trade, investment, tourism and overall business activity in the North #FirstClassNetworking"
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22218
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Transatlantic flights prove popular from Cork

NEW transatlantic flights from Cork and other Irish airports were more than 90% full since they began in July with airline Norwegian saying they are very happy with sales so far.

Many of the flights between Cork and Providence were completely sold out last month.

"Our transatlantic routes from Ireland were extremely popular over the summer, with high load factors over 90% and many flights full," the airline said in a statement.

The airline began the first transatlantic route out of Cork on July 4 operating three flights each week to TF Green Airport, an hour from Boston.

A spokesperson for Norwegian added that their winter season routes from Cork and other Irish airports are also selling well.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Tran ... 1d859fc-ds



Despite soaring passenger numbers at Dublin, Cork, Kerry and Knock airports during the first six months of 2017, new figures released by the Central Statistics Office reveal that terminal traffic at Shannon airport decreased in H1 of this year.

As reported by clare.fm, the CSO data indicates that a total of 726,724 travellers passed through Shannon airport between January and June, representing a 5% decline in passenger numbers compared to the same period last year.

It was also revealed that 26,700 fewer people arrived to or departed from the airport between April and June, resulting in a 5.5% decrease on Q2 of 2016, during which passenger numbers for Shannon actually increased.

https://www.hospitalityireland.com/pass ... port/49037
 
BestWestern
Posts: 7765
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Seems that AC will be pulling capacity from Asia, and placing it into Europe next Summer. Yields on. North America - Asia are terrible at present.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Per United Press Room on united.com:

"Seasonal service between Chicago and Dublin will start earlier in 2018, commencing on April 9, 2018 and end Oct.26, 2018.
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Per Routesonline:

Air Canada in winter 2017/18 is adjusting Toronto – Dublin route, as service moves to mainline operation, replacing current rouge 767 service. This adjustment was reflected earlier this year. From 30OCT17, Airbus A330-300 aircraft will operate this route 4 times a week during winter season (6 weekly 13DEC17 – 03JAN18 from YYZ, 5 weekly 03MAR18 – 30APR18), daily in summer season from 01MAY18.

The following schedule is effective 05NOV17 – 12DEC17.

AC842 YYZ2055 – 0825+1DUB 333 x136
AC843 DUB1005 – 1245YYZ 333 x247
 
Eirules
Posts: 1645
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Delighted to see ORD-DUB being extended. Hopefully a precursor to year round and maybe even an upguage to 763
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
SURFER
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:38 am

Ryanair have announced they will operate Shannon to Barcelona Reus twice weekly next year starting on the 27th of March. Flights will be Tuesday and Saturday.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos