Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EIBoston

Re: Irish 9/17 - Hong Kong hootenanny!

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Took my first Norwegian Air t/a flights over the last week. Went from Providence to Cork and then Shannon back to Providence. I have to admit the experience was very positive. New bright 738-MAX planes and very friendly and helpful cabin crew. The BOB was decent and they did multiple runs. About a 60% load on Cork flight and about 85% load on way back from Shannon. Being used of the EI 757 service from Shannon, it was very comparable. No in-flight entertainment but a much cleaner and fresher plane and environment. Of course D8 were far cheaper than EI.
On the way thru CBP at SNN yesterday, the officer told me that from March, Norwegian were planning on going daily out of Shannon. Maybe that is known but it surprised me for sure.

OA260

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 pm

London Southend offers free flights to passenger hit by Ryanair cancellations

London Southend Airport is offering frustrated Ryanair passengers free return flights to and from the airline’s Dublin hub as a simple gift and opportunity to try out the terminal.

The giveaway - 100 return tickets on a first come, first served basis - is to make up for all the hassle and disappointment at the other airports affected by Ryanair’s controversial decision to drop 40 to 50 flights a day over the next six weeks.

London Southend Airport is also extending the free ticket offer to Glasgow and Manchester – two other routes starting on October 29th.

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/ ... ncellatio/

eirflot

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:35 pm

A quick question;

Any idea if Austrian will return to Dublin? I realise it might be competition against a family member/s but there is a need for more connections to Easter Europe!

Thanks

Skyblue39

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 pm

eirflot wrote:
A quick question;

Any idea if Austrian will return to Dublin? I realise it might be competition against a family member/s but there is a need for more connections to Easter Europe!

Thanks

Aer Lingus (monopoly) always are very expensive on the DUB-VIE route. It certainly would be welcome competition to have OS as well. (I remember the Tyrolean Airways F70's on this route in the 90s!)

OA260

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 pm

eirflot wrote:
A quick question;

Thanks

Would be good too see them back. I had great flights with them DUB-VIE when Lauda Air operated their B737 on a seasonal basis with OS flight number.

eirflot

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks gents!

I also remember the good old days and the 'fun' connections to Central and Eastern Europe, and the old USSR / new CIS. Had great, interesting and even scary flights on:

Aeroflot / Skynet
LOT
Malev
CZA
Swissiar
and of course S& - though not a great fan!

More recently it all been on SWISS, Lufthansa. KLM (and Aer Lingus) and Air France
Getting more difficult though. Was in Kiev last weekend - lufthansa out via Frankfurt and back via Munich. From late October no more late afternoon connections to Kiev, and Moscow has become difficult too.

Progress I guess!!!!

eirflot

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 pm

I should also have said that the best flights were in the old Swissair / Austrian DC9 / MD9 aircraft - truly fast and comfortable. I too liked Tyrolean and used them frequently in the 90's. I think they also had flights (for a season or two) between Dublin and Innsbruck and Salzburg! I can't say that I miss the Aeroflot Ty134 and the Ty154, but God were they interesting flights :shock:

ClassicLover

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:58 am

eirflot wrote:
Malev

I miss Malev, they were a very good airline from a customer perspective.

Really enjoyed my flights with them!

eirflot

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am

Yes, I too liked Malev - especially the late arrival and early departure flights. CZA had the same. Both Budapest and Prague were easy connection airports. I also used (use) Ukraine International a lot and God bless them, it was a miracle in the early days if the plane left Kiev at all, never mind on time. I remember using Brussels a lot and when Sabena were flying to Dublin, they used have ground crew meet the UIA flight and bus delayed passengers directly to their connecting flights

As I said old world but memorable

OA260

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:57 pm

EIBoston wrote:
Took my first Norwegian Air t/a flights over the last week. Went from Providence to Cork and then Shannon back to Providence. I have to admit the experience was very positive. New bright 738-MAX planes and very friendly and helpful cabin crew. The BOB was decent and they did multiple runs. About a 60% load on Cork flight and about 85% load on way back from Shannon. Being used of the EI 757 service from Shannon, it was very comparable. No in-flight entertainment but a much cleaner and fresher plane and environment. Of course D8 were far cheaper than EI.
On the way thru CBP at SNN yesterday, the officer told me that from March, Norwegian were planning on going daily out of Shannon. Maybe that is known but it surprised me for sure.

Glad you had a good experience. From people that I know who have used the flights from BFS and DUB I hear only positive things.

---

Government influence on Dublin Airport’s passenger charges set to end

Minister says new policy will put passengers’ interests first

Proposed new rules for setting passenger charges at Dublin Airport will end Government involvement in determining how much the levies should be.
The Commission for Aviation Regulation sets the maximum that Dublin can charge airlines for each passenger they carry, but the Minister for Transport can intervene to safeguard the airport’s financial viability.
New proposals published by Minister for Transport Shane Ross on Wednesday recommend removing that power, a move likely to please airlines which say the current system favours the airport’s interests over theirs.
Mr Ross said the Government had agreed to the new approach, whose primary purpose would be to protect consumers, according to the report that the Minister published.
That document states that the regulator should “no longer be mandated to have specific regard” for Dublin Airport’s financial sustainability/viability when determining the charges.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.3227726

---

Dublin Airport on course to handle 730 flights a day

Dublin Airport will handle as many as 730 flights a day next summer as it sees new services come on-stream to destinations such as Hong Kong and Canada.
At its busiest times, the gateway could see as many as 47 flights an hour taking off and landing, according to forecasts prepared for the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) by consultancy group Helios, as part of the slot coordination plan for Dublin Airport.
The airport - the fifteenth-busiest in Europe - is already poised to breach the 30 million passenger mark this year, after handling just under 28 million in 2016.

With new services such as a route between Dublin and Hong Kong by Cathay Pacific already announced for next year, and Norwegian increasing its services to the United States, it already appears that Dublin Airport could be well above the 30 million passenger mark in 2018.

http://www.independent.ie/business/dubl ... 49741.html

Skyblue39

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 pm

And ... Aer Lingus respond to the Ryanair fiasco!
(The image depicting the Ryanair planes grounded is quite funny! Karma!)

We don’t want to see anyone grounded this October, so we’re delighted to extend our #HappyWinter Sale to include travel from 01 October until end of February and to reassure our guests that we plan to operate 100% of our flights to top European holiday destinations including Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Milan, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Nice, Munich, Bilbao, Lisbon as well as to popular UK destinations London, Manchester and Birmingham. What’s more, we’re confirmed to be Ireland’s most punctual airline in and out of Dublin.

To guarantee your travel plans this October and throughout the winter, and secure your seat with Ireland’s only 4-star airline, book by midnight on Monday 25th September at www.aerlingus.com. Our focus is to continue to provide our guests with a reliable, punctual and proudly Irish experience.

The Aer Lingus #HappyWinter September Sale offers great deals to Europe from €29.99 for the extended travel period from 1st October 2017 to 28th February 2018.

For those eager to jet off further afield the #HappyWinter sale also includes fares to 11 North American destinations, direct from Ireland, from €169 each-way including taxes and charges, valid for travel from 1st November to 31st March.

https://blog.aerlingus.com/everyone-des ... y-october/

OA260

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Aer Lingus passengers spend 'night from hell' in Lanzarote Airport after Dublin flight cancelled - twice

Aer Lingus passengers say they are furious with the airline after their flight home was cancelled twice and they were left “stranded” for hours at Lanzarote Airport without vouchers for food or water.

Passengers who were due to travel from Lanzarote to Dublin last Sunday afternoon on the 12.30pm flight received a text the previous evening that the flight was cancelled for “technical reasons”. The text included an offer of a replacement flight at 8.15pm on Sunday.

However, that flight was also cancelled - this time only after the 320 passengers had boarded it - and so began a long night of frustration in the airport.

http://amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/aer- ... 06689.html

JAmie2k9

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Swiss will resume ORK-ZUR on 9 May and increase from 2 to 3 weekly all season. DUB-ZUR also up to 12 weekly during peak (July/August/September).

Great to see them doing well at Cork. Iberia also back for their third year.

eirflot

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Flew into Dublin last Monday morning with Lufthansa from Munich. See that we still have a problem with immigration at Dublin. The queue at 10.30am was silly and endless. Arriving into Terminal 1 (especially arriving from |Munich) is less than welcoming! Then had to wait more than 30 minutes for a taxi - the DAA may well be excellent shopkeepers but not sure they are much good at transportation services!!

Jayafe

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:59 pm

eirflot wrote:
... Then had to wait more than 30 minutes for a taxi - the DAA may well be excellent shopkeepers but not sure they are much good at transportation services!!

You were lucky if only 30. The taxis situation in DUB is a real shame.

eirflot

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Oops!
I thought 30 minutes was dreadful! The idea that the DAA lest 5 taxis out of the parking area at a go, is silly!

OA260

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Furious RyanAir Pilot Calls LBC To Reveal All About Working Conditions

This RyanAir pilot was so angry by boss Michael O'Leary's comments about his employees that he called LBC to reveal all about the company's working practices.

After having to cancel numerous flights due to a lack of pilots, Mr O'Leary said: "I would challenge any pilot to explain how this is a difficult job or how it is they are overworked, or how anybody who by law can’t fly more than 18 hours a week could possibly be suffering from fatigue.”

John in Stansted was livid at that remark and called Nick Ferrari to set the record straight.

He revealed that pilots have to pay just for an interview with RyanAir and then have to pay £26,000 for training, during which they don't receive a penny from the airline for the six month period.

He even stated that pilots have to take their own water on flights as they are not even given a staff discount.

His call was a fascinating insight into the way that the company work - and why they are struggling with the number of pilots.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/n ... n-working/

eirflot

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:06 am

Sometimes I am not sure I follow the logic when the Ryanair bashing starts! I did not get free water, or meals at work, mot even discount! I bought my own uniform (suit, shirt, tie and shoes) and I had to be presentable at all times. I paid for my own way to work and I worked considerably more than 18 hours per week. I do accept that the work I did was not as demanding as that of a pilot but I did spend 4 years qualifying and a further 4 years as a slave to the firm to pay for my qualifications. I also didn't get a good salary and then be paid an hourly add-on for actually doing the job!¬

Sometimes I do wonder if we have not lost the plot, just a little.

JAmie2k9

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:58 pm

"A direct service between Dublin and Beijing has been approved by Hainan Airlines and the final all-clear from the Chinese government is pending, according to Dómhnal Slattery, the chief executive of aircraft leasing firm Avolon.

The planned route has been in development for well over a year now."

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 60106.html

liffy1a

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:12 pm

eirflot wrote:
Sometimes I am not sure I follow the logic when the Ryanair bashing starts! I did not get free water, or meals at work, mot even discount! I bought my own uniform (suit, shirt, tie and shoes) and I had to be presentable at all times. I paid for my own way to work and I worked considerably more than 18 hours per week. I do accept that the work I did was not as demanding as that of a pilot but I did spend 4 years qualifying and a further 4 years as a slave to the firm to pay for my qualifications. I also didn't get a good salary and then be paid an hourly add-on for actually doing the job!¬

Where did you come up with the figure of 18 hours a week? Pilots work a lot more, more like 40-50, whilst getting up at 4 in the morning 5 days in a row or finishing at midnight 5 days in a row. Anti-social hours and very little leave during the busy holiday periods of Summer, Christmas ans Easter. 1 or 2 medicals a year depending on your age and 2 simulator sessions a year where there's a possibility of losing your job. Pilots know what they're getting into when they take the job but that doesn't mean they should accept terrible conditions at work.

eirflot

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Just quoting Michael O leary! Don't know where you get the 40 to 50 hours per week either as that would suggest the pilots work more than 2,000 per year., when the legal limit is set at around 900. Your comments does not also include the four days off after the five days on! I never suggested that pilots do not work hard, nor did I suggest that their work is not demanding. I did say that i thought the comment on free water (even discounted water) was silly. And as you point out pilots do know what they are letting them selves in for. There a lot of people who get up very early and work late, not just pilots!

Statistics when quoted are usually subjective! Recently the papers noted that 120 Ryanair pilots were at a meeting and expressed serious concerns. Wow, 120 pilots seems like a lot, but the article never mentioned the other 4,000 odd pilots working for the same airline. As I siad statistics can be very subjective!

liffy1a

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:11 pm

eirflot wrote:
Just quoting Michael O leary! Don't know where you get the 40 to 50 hours per week either as that would suggest the pilots work more than 2,000 per year., when the legal limit is set at around 900. Your comments does not also include the four days off after the five days on! I never suggested that pilots do not work hard, nor did I suggest that their work is not demanding. I did say that i thought the comment on free water (even discounted water) was silly. And as you point out pilots do know what they are letting them selves in for. There a lot of people who get up very early and work late, not just pilots!

Statistics when quoted are usually subjective! Recently the papers noted that 120 Ryanair pilots were at a meeting and expressed serious concerns. Wow, 120 pilots seems like a lot, but the article never mentioned the other 4,000 odd pilots working for the same airline. As I siad statistics can be very subjective!

Your sums are wrong. That 900hours is flight time. That doesn't include pre-flight duties, post-flight duties, turn-arounds, delays, simulator sessions, dead heading between bases and various other courses a pilot will do throughout a year.

eirflot

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:06 pm

I am talking about Ryanair pilots only! AS far as I am aware they don't deadhead - they are allocated a base and have none or very few nights away from base. This is only my opinion and it stands. Everything you noted is part of a pilots life and again I make the point that 5 days on and 4 days off is not too bad. I would have quite enjoyed that type of schedule, instead of 5 or even 6 days on and a Sunday off. I am in no way suggesting that pilots do not work hard and have a demanding job, but it is just a job.. And in the current market place they are in demand so what might not work for them in Ryanair, I am sure they will find something more accommodating elsewhere.

KIRFlyer

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Quick question for all. Landing in DUB in October and need to travel to Glasnevin super fast. What is the best way? I'm thinking a taxi. I have never gotten a taxi at the airport. What is the process? I think i read up above that someone was waiting half an hour for one! Should there not be a big queue outside the airport? I've seen them in their "hold" position behind the Radisson.

eirflot

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:57 pm

My arrival was at 10.30am - so maybe it was a busy period. But I have a feeling that there are always queues. Taxi however is still probably quickest way to Glasnevin!.

JAmie2k9

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 pm

eirflot wrote:
My arrival was at 10.30am - so maybe it was a busy period. But I have a feeling that there are always queues. Taxi however is still probably quickest way to Glasnevin!.

You were coming in just after a load of T/A flights arrived which is probally why taxi's were a bit few and far between.

KIRFlyer wrote:
Quick question for all. Landing in DUB in October and need to travel to Glasnevin super fast. What is the best way? I'm thinking a taxi. I have never gotten a taxi at the airport. What is the process? I think i read up above that someone was waiting half an hour for one! Should there not be a big queue outside the airport? I've seen them in their "hold" position behind the Radisson.

Generally getting a taxi isn't a major issue however you could consider pre booking a taxi if you are in a hurry.

Jayafe

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Generally getting a taxi isn't a major issue however you could consider pre booking a taxi if you are in a hurry.

As long as you don’t consider waiting standing up with your luggage +20 min in a queu after your flight (arriving to an international airport) a major issue, your statement is correct.
However maybe the airport should arrange a decent parking space and service for the passengers who pay the landing fees, instead of considering arriving passengers as sheeps who can be abandoned out of the building until they need to fly (and pay) again.
Some of the scenes I have seen arriving to DUB in the taxi area is something ever seen accross Europe (including East Europe).

JAmie2k9

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:34 am

Jayafe wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

As long as you don’t consider waiting standing up with your luggage +20 min in a queu after your flight (arriving to an international airport) a major issue, your statement is correct.
However maybe the airport should arrange a decent parking space and service for the passengers who pay the landing fees, instead of considering arriving passengers as sheeps who can be abandoned out of the building until they need to fly (and pay) again.
Some of the scenes I have seen arriving to DUB in the taxi area is something ever seen accross Europe (including East Europe).

I am not saying it;s right however I am sure there are very busy periods at all major airports and the availability of taxis will be less than usual. Passengers also don't pay arrival fees at airports. The only fee's are the capital i.e runway/stand use.

dstc47

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:54 am

Taxi service at T2 seems to be better than at T1, in my experience.

The process of releasing taxis in very small numbers from the waiting pound, where there may be hundreds of taxis just waiting to be called up, is perverse and takes no account of how quickly taxis can load and leave the small number of spaces at the terminals.
Very often the first spaces are left empty, as the drivers cannot see the empty spaces at the top of the line. Some form of electronic space vacant signal might be helpful.

pompos

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:02 am

The availability of taxis als depends heavily on the weather. When it rains getting a taxi is almost impossible.
I’d say if you need to be at your destination at a certain time and cost isn’t too important book a pick up service

OA260

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:09 am

dstc47 wrote:
Taxi service at T2 seems to be better than at T1, in my experience.

Correct it certainly seems so at various times. Maybe best to walk over to T2 at times.

---

Money intended for City of Derry Airport handed back

A government department was forced to hand back cash intended for City of Derry Airport, it has emerged.

The Department for the Economy have confirmed to The Derry News that they were allocated funding for the airport for 2016/17 but that the funding was 'surrendered as it could not be utilised'.

It comes after concerns were raised that the airport may miss out on vital funding due to the collapse of the Stormont Executive.

The Northern Ireland Executive agreed a £7m funding package to safeguard the future of the airport in September 2016.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/money-int ... ack/186001

---

New high-tech fire tenders for Shannon Airport

Shannon Airport will get two new state-of-the art High Reach Extendable Turret (HRET) fire tenders next year.

Shannon will be the first airport in Ireland to acquire this high-tech, innovative firefighting equipment. The two new fire vehicles are being built in Austria at the Rosenbauer plant and will be delivered in 2018.

Commenting on the importance of the new equipment Pat O’Brien, Chief Officer Fire & Rescue, Airport Police Fire Service, Shannon Airport said: “Ensuring the safety of our passengers and staff is of paramount importance to the management team at Shannon Airport. This new innovative equipment will have safety benefits for both airport fire service staff and passengers.

http://clareherald.com/2017/09/new-high ... ort-95642/

---

It Will be interesting to see how it performs from DUB this time around and how much SEN-DUB-TATL they may pick up .

Southend airport: Could it become London's most convenient transport hub?

On the last day before the autumn equinox, the Mediterranean sun blazed down in a final flourish of summer on Perpignan airport in France. But as everyone settled aboard Flybe 6111 on Thursday afternoon, the captain’s welcoming announcement was, well, unwelcome.

Striking air traffic controllers meant that the pilots had been given a take-off slot one hour after the scheduled departure time.

It was the last of the summer flights to Southend (on Thursdays at least; Sunday operations continue). With a collective sigh, we passengers reached for our phones as we recalculated our plans for the afternoon: rather than landing at 4.45pm, it would be a 5.45pm arrival in Essex.

So it was something of a surprise to pull up to the gate in Southend airport on the dot of half past four. Minutes after the first announcement, the captain said that his wish for an earlier slot had been granted, and we were leaving now.

While Southend presents itself as a London gateway, the airport stresses it is “outside the increasingly congested airspace” over the capital. With no conflicting traffic, the flight from the Franco-Spanish border took just 80 minutes. Such is the scale and simplicity of Southend that leaving the plane, passing through the UK border and walking to the railway station takes five minutes.

But I went no further than the café, to meet Glyn Jones – chief executive of Stobart Air, which owns Southend airport. He wanted to update me on the remarkable resurgence of the second-most popular airport in Essex (after Stansted).

Implausibly, Southend once had the highest-frequency air route in the world: in the 1960s, an aviation pioneer named Freddie Laker was one of the people behind the car-carrying planes that shuttled frenetically to and from Ostend in Belgium. At the time, roll-on-roll-off ferries were rare, fuel was cheap and anyone who could afford a nice car could probably also afford to fly it from Southend to Ostend – or even as far as Basel in Switzerland.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 62041.html

alancostello

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Passed through DUB T2 coming home last night, looks like the automated scanners are in place where the left-most windows used to be, but are still surrounded by hoarding. Any idea when they're due to go live?

JAmie2k9

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:10 pm

alancostello wrote:
Passed through DUB T2 coming home last night, looks like the automated scanners are in place where the left-most windows used to be, but are still surrounded by hoarding. Any idea when they're due to go live?

Few weeks

Ticketyboo

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:17 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
eirflot wrote:

You were coming in just after a load of T/A flights arrived which is probally why taxi's were a bit few and far between.

KIRFlyer wrote:

On the occasion when I've landed from Frankfurt at just after 5:20pm and I need to get to Heuston Station for 6:30pm I've walked through to T2 and been able to get a taxi very quickly - there is a dreadfully small number of spaces at T1 for Taxi's compared to T2 and this is exacerbated at peak times or in poor weather. I get the first flight in in the morning from Munich every other week and I'm off the plane and in a taxi in generally less than 15 minutes but it can be a challenge if international flights arrive delayed resulting in congestion at passport control given the few booths available from the 300 gates or if the Immigration guys aren't on the ball (as is the case more often than not).

planemanofnz

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 am

Hello all,

When Cathay Pacific announced Hong Kong - Dublin earlier this month, it struck me how much negativity people expressed as to the viability of the route.

IMO, this route has the potential to be hugely successful, based on a number of key factors:

1. FINANCIAL SERVICES TRAFFIC
Hong Kong is the world's third biggest global financial centre, after New York and London. Meanwhile, half of the world’s top 50 banks operate from Dublin, and EY has indicated that Dublin is the top choice for financial services firms relocating from London within the European Union post-Brexit (with Barclays, JP Morgan and Bank of America Merrill Lynch among the firms planning to expand in Dublin). Relevantly for this route, Dublin is also the European home for Asian financial institutions like ICBC, SMBC, China Construction Bank and Bohai Leasing Co.

See:
- https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... tion-plans
- http://www.idaireland.com/IDAIreland/me ... reland.pdf

2. TECHNOLOGY TRAFFIC
Dublin's 'Silicon Docks' serves as a headquarters for tech companies like Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and Twitter, among many others (Dublin is now home to 9 of the world's top 10 technology and internet multinationals). Ireland also has a booming FinTech scene. Meanwhile, Hong Kong hosts regional hubs for many of these companies, and also has a tech cluster in "Cyberport." Interestingly, Shenzhen is also just across the border (easily accessed from Hong Kong Airport) - more money is invested in R&D there than anywhere else in China (think Huawei and Tencent).

See:
- http://www.idaireland.com/doing-busines ... ectors/ict
- https://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/S ... e-Ireland/

3. AVIATION TRAFFIC
Ireland is the leading hub for aircraft leasing, with more than 50 per cent of the world's leased aircraft owned and managed from Ireland, and 14 of the top 15 global lessors having operations there (think AerCap and GECAS). Many of these companies have regional offices in Hong Kong, as well as elsewhere in Asia. Meanwhile, China is expected to surpass the U.S. as the world’s biggest aviation market by around 2024. Boeing predicts China will need 6,810 aircraft in the 20 years through 2035, making it the world’s biggest single country market worth over $1 trillion.

See:
- https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/ir ... -1.2843120
- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... mand-rises

4. TOURISM TRAFFIC
Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry, while China is now the world’s largest outbound travel market (with 135 million people travelling overseas each year, spending about USD 261 billion), and it is the fastest growing travel market in the world too. Ireland has no direct flights to Greater China, even though similarly sized markets in the European Union, such as Portugal, do. Ireland also offers the British-Irish Visa Scheme, which enables Chinese travellers to visit both Ireland and the U.K., including Northern Ireland, on a single visa of either country.

See:
- https://www.tourismireland.com/Press-Re ... or-Ireland
- https://www.tourismirelandindustryoppor ... kets/china

5. VFR TRAFFIC
Hong Kong is home to an Irish expat population of about 4,000, with additional Irish expats living on the mainland. Similarly, about 5,000 students from China now study in Ireland, and Chinese students are the second largest cohort of non-European Union students in Ireland. Cathay Pacific may also be well placed to capture some of the VFR traffic to Australia and New Zealand (where about 100,000 Irish-born individuals now live), as a Hong Kong stop for this routing offers more equally proportioned flights than those flights operating through the Middle East.

See:
- https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/china/ ... n-ireland/
- http://www.newstalk.com/President-Higgi ... ew-Zealand

6. CARGO TRAFFIC
Ireland is a significant producer of food products, and many such products would benefit from a quicker air route to China (like fresh milk). As an example, Air New Zealand's China flights do well with food-related products in the hold. Indeed, Ireland is now the second largest exporter of infant formula to China (after the Netherlands). It is also the largest exporter of pharmaceuticals in the European Union. Seven out of the world’s top ten best selling drugs are produced in Ireland. Many of these products could also go to Hong Kong and China, via Cathay Pacific's service.

See:
- https://www.export.gov/article?id=Irela ... aceuticals
- https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agr ... -1.2360659

7. MACRO ECONOMIC FACTORS
Ireland is the fastest growing economy in the European Union, and has been for the past number of years (with GDP growth of 26.3% in 2015, 5.1% in 2016 and up to 5.5% expected in 2017). Ireland's GDP per capita is now higher than the U.S., and among the highest in the world. Meanwhile, Hong Kong's economy is expanding strongly this year, recording its strongest GDP growth (of 4.3%) in 5 years, in Q1 of this year. Stronger economic conditions can only mean stronger demand for air travel, and with Ireland's high GDP per capita, premium air travel in particular.

See:
- https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/gdp-growth-annual (with various indicators on the right side bar)
- https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY ... _desc=true

8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
Due to runway length issues at Dublin Airport, traditional aircraft types like the 777 and A330 would not be able to make the trek from Dublin to Asia - Cathay Pacific's A350 has the performance capability to get around this, while many regional competitors, like China Eastern Airlines, do not yet have such equipment available to them to compete in the Dublin market. Even though some competitors do have such equipment, none operate to Dublin (yet), giving Cathay Pacific a first mover advantage on the Ireland - East Asia non-stop market, and no current competition.

By the time competitors do enter the market (which I believe is inevitable), Aer Lingus is likely to have joined Oneworld, thereby giving Cathay Pacific yet another advantage in Dublin.

Cheers,

C.

Eirules

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:19 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Hello all,

When Cathay Pacific announced Hong Kong - Dublin earlier this month, it struck me how much negativity people expressed as to the viability of the route.

IMO, this route has the potential to be hugely successful, based on a number of key factors:

Hong Kong is the world's third biggest global financial centre, after New York and London. Meanwhile, half of the world’s top 50 banks operate from Dublin, and EY has indicated that Dublin is the top choice for financial services firms relocating from London within the European Union post-Brexit (with Barclays, JP Morgan and Bank of America Merrill Lynch among the firms planning to expand in Dublin). Relevantly for this route, Dublin is also the European home for Asian financial institutions like ICBC, SMBC, China Construction Bank and Bohai Leasing Co.

See:

2. TECHNOLOGY TRAFFIC
Dublin's 'Silicon Docks' serves as a headquarters for tech companies like Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and Twitter, among many others (Dublin is now home to 9 of the world's top 10 technology and internet multinationals). Ireland also has a booming FinTech scene. Meanwhile, Hong Kong hosts regional hubs for many of these companies, and also has a tech cluster in "Cyberport." Interestingly, Shenzhen is also just across the border (easily accessed from Hong Kong Airport) - more money is invested in R&D there than anywhere else in China (think Huawei and Tencent).

See:

3. AVIATION TRAFFIC
Ireland is the leading hub for aircraft leasing, with more than 50 per cent of the world's leased aircraft owned and managed from Ireland, and 14 of the top 15 global lessors having operations there (think AerCap and GECAS). Many of these companies have regional offices in Hong Kong, as well as elsewhere in Asia. Meanwhile, China is expected to surpass the U.S. as the world’s biggest aviation market by around 2024. Boeing predicts China will need 6,810 aircraft in the 20 years through 2035, making it the world’s biggest single country market worth over $1 trillion.

See:

4. TOURISM TRAFFIC
Tourism is the island of Ireland’s largest indigenous industry, while China is now the world’s largest outbound travel market (with 135 million people travelling overseas each year, spending about USD 261 billion), and it is the fastest growing travel market in the world too. Ireland has no direct flights to Greater China, even though similarly sized markets in the European Union, such as Portugal, do. Ireland also offers the British-Irish Visa Scheme, which enables Chinese travellers to visit both Ireland and the U.K., including Northern Ireland, on a single visa of either country.

See:

5. VFR TRAFFIC
Hong Kong is home to an Irish expat population of about 4,000, with additional Irish expats living on the mainland. Similarly, about 5,000 students from China now study in Ireland, and Chinese students are the second largest cohort of non-European Union students in Ireland. Cathay Pacific may also be well placed to capture some of the VFR traffic to Australia and New Zealand (where about 100,000 Irish-born individuals now live), as a Hong Kong stop for this routing offers more equally proportioned flights than those flights operating through the Middle East.

See:

6. CARGO TRAFFIC
Ireland is a significant producer of food products, and many such products would benefit from a quicker air route to China (like fresh milk). As an example, Air New Zealand's China flights do well with food-related products in the hold. Indeed, Ireland is now the second largest exporter of infant formula to China (after the Netherlands). It is also the largest exporter of pharmaceuticals in the European Union. Seven out of the world’s top ten best selling drugs are produced in Ireland. Many of these products could also go to Hong Kong and China, via Cathay Pacific's service.

See:

Ireland is the fastest growing economy in the European Union, and has been for the past number of years (with GDP growth of 26.3% in 2015, 5.1% in 2016 and up to 5.5% expected in 2017). Ireland's GDP per capita is now higher than the U.S., and among the highest in the world. Meanwhile, Hong Kong's economy is expanding strongly this year, recording its strongest GDP growth (of 4.3%) in 5 years, in Q1 of this year. Stronger economic conditions can only mean stronger demand for air travel, and with Ireland's high GDP per capita, premium air travel in particular.

See:
- https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/gdp-growth-annual (with various indicators on the right side bar)

8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
Due to runway length issues at Dublin Airport, traditional aircraft types like the 777 and A330 would not be able to make the trek from Dublin to Asia - Cathay Pacific's A350 has the performance capability to get around this, while many regional competitors, like China Eastern Airlines, do not yet have such equipment available to them to compete in the Dublin market. Even though some competitors do have such equipment, none operate to Dublin (yet), giving Cathay Pacific a first mover advantage on the Ireland - East Asia non-stop market, and no current competition.

By the time competitors do enter the market (which I believe is inevitable), Aer Lingus is likely to have joined Oneworld, thereby giving Cathay Pacific yet another advantage in Dublin.

Cheers,

C.

Very detailed analysis, much of which I'd agree with. We have seen friends m the recent success of KLM's Dublin launch plus increased frequencies from LH, AY, LX etc to their hubs that LHR is not the only option for connections eastbound as it was once considered by Irish people. Combined with the middle eastern carriers and the inevitable stimulation of traffic from the direct route, I'm sure Cathay can survive in Dublin

planemanofnz

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello again,

Does anyone have a view on the viability of BFS securing new services from the ME3 and/or a Chinese carrier?

I know this topic has been discussed before, but CX announcing DUB introduces a new element here.

- ME3 carrier: I wonder if one way for one or more of the ME3 carriers to distinguish themselves from CX (particularly on the Kangaroo route) would be to move, say, 3 x weekly flights from DUB to BFS? This is more likely to be EY or QR (EK's smallest aircraft - a 77W - would be too much plane for BFS).

- Chinese carrier: Similarly, a mainland Chinese carrier might now have less incentive to come to DUB, given CX. The British-Irish Visa Scheme, which enables Chinese visitors to visit both Ireland and the U.K. on a single visa, could facilitate BFS as a new entry-point to the island of Ireland for tour groups.

In both cases, flights could be made more viable by a routing via a third city. For example, DOH - EDI / MAN / CWL - BFS.

In particular, CWL could be a good stop for QR, using a smaller A320. Indeed, QR are expanding to more "exotic" airports of late, like Utapao in Thailand.

Cheers,

C.

OA260

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:22 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Hello all,

See:

2. TECHNOLOGY TRAFFIC

See:

3. AVIATION TRAFFIC

See:

4. TOURISM TRAFFIC

See:

5. VFR TRAFFIC

See:

6. CARGO TRAFFIC

See:

See:

8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE

Cheers,

C.

Great post and mostly agree. CX will do very well at DUB and as you mention once EI finally join OW that will only add to the attraction. The only thing I will urge caution on is the effects of Brexit and those relocating to Dublin/Ireland. In reality we do not know what will happen and I doubt its going to be the windfall the Irish hope for even in the worse case scenario of the UK crashing out into WTO rules. The powers that be want all major relocations to Cont. Europe. Any moves to Dublin will be a very small operation compared to their wider operations.

JAmie2k9

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 pm

FR have removed BFS/LGW out of the schedule effective over the winter season.

Potential to cost BFS well over 100,000 (6 month) passengers if it is canceled. They don't remove flights when adjusting a schedule generally. The Scottish-London routes also removed.
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David_itl

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:41 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
In particular, CWL could be a good stop for QR, using a smaller A320. Indeed, QR are expanding to more "exotic" airports of late, like Utapao in Thailand

CWL is going to be a daily 787. Why on earth would they want to put a smaller aircraft onto that route and extend it on to BFS when they have the numbers that currently travel from South Wales/South West England on their LHR services and decided what capacity and frequency is warranted?

OA260

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Passengers see our Ryanair uniforms and think we are out to screw them’

Opinion: A member of Ryanair cabin crew says colleagues want change

Passengers see us in our Ryanair uniforms and think we are Ryanair and are out to screw them. Sometimes the planes are delayed and we have to explain why, and they’re angry. They are right to be angry, but they are angry at the wrong people.

I see many passengers who have been angry at all the cancellations, and they are right to be angry at them, but we have been badly affected as well. I have colleagues who were on standby and called in. They had to take taxis to the airport at their own expense because public transport was not running. Then they waited three or four hours, after which the flight was cancelled, so they went home, and they won’t get any payment for that at all.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consume ... 0?mode=amp

planemanofnz

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:14 pm

David_itl wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
In particular, CWL could be a good stop for QR, using a smaller A320. Indeed, QR are expanding to more "exotic" airports of late, like Utapao in Thailand

CWL is going to be a daily 787. Why on earth would they want to put a smaller aircraft onto that route and extend it on to BFS when they have the numbers that currently travel from South Wales/South West England on their LHR services and decided what capacity and frequency is warranted?

My apologies - I had earlier read that CWL would be opened with an A320. I see it is actually being launched with a 787. Nevertheless, I do still think that a 787 on CWL - DOH is too much plane - if the service performs poorly, they might consider a BFS extension.

BFS would arguably fit into QR's strategy of launching routes that can take advantage of QR's smaller fleet types than rival EK's. This strategy has been further pushed by the regional blockade on Qatar, cutting previous QR A320 routes, and freeing up capacity.

This article highlights QR's position: https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... bai-341033.

EI202

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:32 pm

eirflot wrote:

I can't believe the credit you're giving MOL here on his 18 hours per week claims! It just goes to show how easy a ride he gets off the media when he can say things like that and people just blindly take him at face value.

HTCone

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:18 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Hello again,

Does anyone have a view on the viability of BFS securing new services from the ME3 and/or a Chinese carrier?

I know this topic has been discussed before, but CX announcing DUB introduces a new element here.

- ME3 carrier: I wonder if one way for one or more of the ME3 carriers to distinguish themselves from CX (particularly on the Kangaroo route) would be to move, say, 3 x weekly flights from DUB to BFS? This is more likely to be EY or QR (EK's smallest aircraft - a 77W - would be too much plane for BFS).

- Chinese carrier: Similarly, a mainland Chinese carrier might now have less incentive to come to DUB, given CX. The British-Irish Visa Scheme, which enables Chinese visitors to visit both Ireland and the U.K. on a single visa, could facilitate BFS as a new entry-point to the island of Ireland for tour groups.

In both cases, flights could be made more viable by a routing via a third city. For example, DOH - EDI / MAN / CWL - BFS.

In particular, CWL could be a good stop for QR, using a smaller A320. Indeed, QR are expanding to more "exotic" airports of late, like Utapao in Thailand.

Cheers,

C.

Their CEO said a few weeks ago that if their current 85% LF on DUB-DOH holds up, they'll launch a second daily flight, so I'd expect that to happen first. Cargo is a big money spinner for the ME3 ex DUB, which is better placed geographically for road access to the entire island than BFS.

I'd say TK are the best bet for BFS in that direction on a 737 or minibus.

OA260

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 am

HTCone wrote:

I'd say TK are the best bet for BFS in that direction on a 737 or minibus.

I think we will see 3 daily DUB-IST before BFS.

—-

Bombardier ruling risks thousands of Belfast jobs

Thousands of jobs could be at risk in Northern Ireland after a US adjudication against the aircraft manufacturer Bombardier.

America's Department of Commerce has made a "preliminary finding" that the Canadian company had received unfair state subsidies and sold below cost.

It has now imposed a 219.63% countervailing duty on Bombardier's new commercial jets.

http://news.sky.com/story/bombardier-ru ... s-11054443

eirflot

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:19 pm

EI202, I don't blindly follow anyone. I was asked where I got the 18 hours from and I replied. Of course I understand that pilots at Ryanair work more than 18 hours per week. However my point was, and remains, that they work 5 on and 4 off, which is not the smae a 40 or 50 hours per week. It is only my opinion!

It is obvious that MOL and Ryanair have a problem hat is not entirely obvious is what exactly is behind the problem - too much growth, a change in holiday year end, a loss of pilots or simply a eye taken off the ball. Or even a combination of all options. Based on what we are now hearing and seeing they will make changes - slow growth, stop chasing Alitalia, park aircraft and end up probably stronger and wiser.

Who actually knows until MOL tells us more :-)

JAmie2k9

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Volotea will add a second weekly ORK-Verona flight from late June to late August next summer. It's now possible for people to get return flights for around 160. With Topflight taking most seats last year on the weekly it was 400-500 for a return.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:53 am

Bombardier ruling risks thousands of Belfast jobs

Very disappointing, but not unexpected; the UK government has now told Boeing that its contracts with the RAF (which also include the new Poseidon surveillance aircraft) are at risk; Canada is expected to decide in the next year or two about a new jet fighter, so that will also be used as leverage, and a lot more besides. Expect this to be a battle royal.

Surely it should have gone to the WTO before this duty was imposed?
-----------------------------------

http://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-faces ... s-11056439

The CAA is expected to take action against FR (and five other airlines) over their failure to inform passengers adequately of their compensation rights. Why doesn't the IAA do this? And if the CAA does it, won't several other European regulators follow suit ... and FR would be best advised not to respond to them as it would to Irish authorities ...

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:53 am

Hi all,

EI has maintained its current livery and uniforms since the 1990s.

Does anyone know if EI will change either of these in the near future?

Cheers,

C.

OA260

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Hi all,

EI has maintained its current livery and uniforms since the 1990s.

Does anyone know if EI will change either of these in the near future?

Cheers,

C.

If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It

---

Aer Lingus stays poker-faced as it shelves plan for direct Dublin-Las Vegas route

Aer Lingus has shelved a proposal for a direct service between Dublin and Las Vegas, which it had contemplated launching this winter.

It is believed that the economics of the route do not currently stack up. However, the Cities that could be of interest to Aer Lingus for a new route to the US include Philadelphia.

And given the strong presence in Ireland of companies such as Microsoft and Amazon, even Seattle could come up on the Aer Lingus radar. An Aer Lingus spokesman declined to comment, however. In an interview with the "We are working to build a business case to operate a seasonal service to Las Vegas," Mr Kavanagh said.

"We need to find a balance to the peak summer months, where the US consumer is the main source of our traffic and where Ireland is the destination." He added: "We think there's demand there." Aer Lingus was eyeing a service to run two to three times a week. "We can see from our own traffic data that for the Irish consumer Las Vegas is very attractive," Mr Kavanagh said at the time. "We think there's an opportunity around Las Vegas. Whether it's year-round or just tactically in the winter months, that's what we're looking at."

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 75238.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos