Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Breathe

Re: Cathay Pacific multiple "beer related" new destinations imminent

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
So I'm guessing then CX won't be announcing any new service to the likes of those beer hot spots such as Jeddah or Tehran. :champagne: ;)

CX served Jeddah few years back and are interested in Tehran.

A (humorous) point I believe was being made, they aren't exactly known as beer hot spots unless you know otherwise. :D
Last edited by Breathe on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Breathe

Re: Re: Cathay Pacific multiple "beer related" new destinations imminent UPDATE: CX announces HKG-DUB, HKG-BRU and HKG-C

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
No US city is world famous for beer so you can rule all those out straight away.

St Louis - Budweiser and Milwaukee - Miller are not famous for beer?!

Also there is a massive craft beer scene in the USA. American beer is extremely popular and in demand worldwide.

CanadaFair

Re: Cathay Pacific multiple "beer related" new destinations imminent UPDATE: CX announces HKG-DUB, HKG-BRU and HKG-CPH

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:21 pm

I know it was humorous, but just incase he was unaware of factual info.

zeke

Re: Re: Cathay Pacific multiple "beer related" new destinations imminent UPDATE: CX announces HKG-DUB, HKG-BRU and HKG-C

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:35 pm

OA412 wrote:
I beg to differ. There are plenty of great beer cities in the US making excellent beers that are, by and large, superior to the ones the three announced destinations are most famous for.

In Belgium you can walk into a cafe and see a 32 page beer menu. They are not craft beers, they are well established beers some of them going back 5-600 years. They are exported and enjoyed worldwide.

The marketing campaign was directed at the airlines target demographic which will find beers like Hoegaarden, Leffe, Guinness, and Carlsberg in every pub, club, 7-11, and Circle K in Hong Kong. They would have to some of the most popular beers in Hong Kong. Locals also drink Chinese, Dutch, and Japanese beers.

About the only American beer that you will find in Hong Kong is Budweiser, and frankly I have never seen anyone buy one. It is the beer I don't even see Americans drinking.

While you think your local beers are superior, most of the world do not even know they exist.

YLWbased

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:35 pm

zeke wrote:
OA412 wrote:
I beg to differ. There are plenty of great beer cities in the US making excellent beers that are, by and large, superior to the ones the three announced destinations are most famous for.

In Belgium you can walk into a cafe and see a 32 page beer menu. They are not craft beers, they are well established beers some of them going back 5-600 years. They are exported and enjoyed worldwide.

The marketing campaign was directed at the airlines target demographic which will find beers like Hoegaarden, Leffe, Guinness, and Carlsberg in every pub, club, 7-11, and Circle K in Hong Kong. They would have to some of the most popular beers in Hong Kong. Locals also drink Chinese, Dutch, and Japanese beers.

About the only American beer that you will find in Hong Kong is Budweiser, and frankly I have never seen anyone buy one. It is the beer I don't even see Americans drinking.

While you think your local beers are superior, most of the world do not even know they exist.

While I disagree with Zeke most of the time on a.net, I have to agree with him on this one, American beers are just nowhere even near European quality. I'd happily get myself a Tsing Tao before I'd even touch the Budweiser's beer flavored water.

YLWbased

MalevTU134

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:48 pm

YLWbased wrote:
zeke wrote:
OA412 wrote:

While I disagree with Zeke most of the time on a.net, I have to agree with him on this one, American beers are just nowhere even near European quality. I'd happily get myself a Tsing Tao before I'd even touch the Budweiser's beer flavored water.

YLWbased

You should agree with Zeke more often and we could all go out for a Trappist or two... :)
Although that's being made in the US as well now... :duck:

Breathe

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:53 pm

YLWbased wrote:
zeke wrote:
OA412 wrote:

YLWbased

While I agree with you regarding Budweiser. I put that beer into the same category as Stella Artois, Guinness, Heineken, Carlsberg etc. which are more like for like to Budweiser as mass produced beer.

There are plenty of really good quality beers from the USA. Great brewries like Brooklyn Brewery, Sierra Nevada and Goose Island to name a few.

OA412

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:53 pm

YLWbased wrote:
zeke wrote:
OA412 wrote:

YLWbased

I'm not talking about Budweiser, Miller, Coors, or any of the other mass produced beers. They're terrible and I do not drink them. However, American craft beer is excellent and there are smaller breweries that now distribute nationwide and, I believe, internationally. Those beers absolutely approach and surpass European beers in terms of quality.

EddieDude

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:55 pm

matthew11 wrote:
CX has officially announced Copenhagen, Brussels, and Dublin a few minutes ago on their Instagram page. Nice additions.

Has it also been announced which routes will be dropped or transferred to Cathay Dragon?

zeke

Re: Cathay Pacific multiple "beer related" new destinations imminent UPDATE: CX announces HKG-DUB, HKG-BRU and HKG-CPH

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:01 pm

OA412 wrote:
I'm not talking about Budweiser, Miller, Coors, or any of the other mass produced beers. They're terrible and I do not drink them. However, American craft beer is excellent and there are smaller breweries that now distribute nationwide and, I believe, internationally. Those beers absolutely approach and surpass European beers in terms of quality.

That is a very bold statement, I take it you have tried every beer in Europe then ?

You have missed the point, you may know of some craft beers that you like, but outside the fishbowl of the USA they are unknown, and wound definably be unknown in Hong Kong.

The USA is not synonymous in Asia for any food or drink except for the big chains like McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Starbucks etc.

Breathe

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:01 pm

OA412 wrote:
YLWbased wrote:
zeke wrote:

YLWbased

With the micro-brewed/craft beer movement taking off, its now a global trend that people are wanting to drink more tasty beer. Regardless of where the beer is from, beer drinkers are the winners. :)

Breathe

Re: Cathay Pacific multiple

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:04 pm

zeke wrote:
[
You have missed the point, you may know of some craft beers that you like, but outside the fishbowl of the USA they are unknown, and wound definably be unknown in Hong Kong.

I must disagree with that statement. A lot of craft beers are available in supermarket shelves in Europe. To say American craft beers are unknown was not my experience when I was there. The people in the bars I visited were extremely knowledgeable about American craft beers.

OA412

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:09 pm

zeke wrote:
That is a very bold statement, I take it you have tried every beer in Europe then ?

The USA is not synonymous in Asia for any food or drink except for the big chains like McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Starbucks etc.

And I take it you've tried every beer in the USA to make such a bold statement? Works both ways. I haven't missed any point. Just as you say the world is more than the "fishbowl of the USA" it's also more than Asia, and certainly more than just Hong Kong. Just because they're unknown in HKG doesn't make them unknown throughout other parts of the world.

hispanola

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm

I don't doubt the brewing capability of Americans nor do I think their beers are poor in quality. The only problem is that (at least in Europe) the United States is only known for a handful of breweries/brands. Many people were mentioning Dallas, TX. Dallas may have 50 different breweries, but no one outside of the US knows that. To Europeans Dallas is just a big city in Texas with some tech companies and cowboy barbecues. It may be a stereotype, but that's what we think of. Dublin, on the other hand, has a wide variety of industries and tourist attractions but everyone knows it for Guinness. Denmark and Belgium are well known for their beers as well. All of these routes are great additions to CX's portfolio of destinations. CPH was a surprise to me, but I guess many people wouldn't have expected DUB either.

Dominion301

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 pm

Breathe wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
So I'm guessing then CX won't be announcing any new service to the likes of those beer hot spots such as Jeddah or Tehran. :champagne: ;)

CX served Jeddah few years back and are interested in Tehran.

A (humorous) point I believe was being made, they aren't exactly known as beer hot spots unless you know otherwise. :D

You mean you've never heard of the "Death if You Drink This" IPA by the Saudi Brew Crew? :stirthepot:

Actually I do feel sorry for folks that live in places that are forbidden from drinking big bad alcohol. Refraining from consuming should always be a personal choice, not a state-mandated imposition...mind you the same thing existed for a period of time less than a hundred years ago in North America, so probably a couple of centuries from now it'll be commonplace there.

Breathe wrote:
YLWbased wrote:
zeke wrote:

YLWbased

While I agree with you regarding Budweiser. I put that beer into the same category as Stella Artois, Guinness, Heineken, Carlsberg etc. which are more like for like to Budweiser as mass produced beer.

There are plenty of really good quality beers from the USA. Great brewries like Brooklyn Brewery, Sierra Nevada and Goose Island to name a few.

Goose Island have been owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev. They're a sellout to the big guys.

Back to the topic at hand, DUB, MUC and BRU are most certainly three globally recognized centres of brewing excellence...as is PRG. STL and MKE on the other hand are known for producing mass-produced p*ss water. Having said that STL will soon have transatlantic service again.

Ferryflight

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:55 pm

hispanola wrote:
CPH was a surprise to me, but I guess many people wouldn't have expected DUB either.

No doubt CPH is by far the weakest one of the new. The perception of CPH in the aviation community is always a bitt too optimistic in regards to their actual local market potential. With exemption of the M3 and PIA, all non STAR intercontinental routes have failed at CPH. It is and will always be dependent on nearby Germans and Swedes to fill up these kind of routes and the market just ain't that large if it's not supported by STAR connecting pax.

Therefore 3 weekly seasonal seems like a vise move.

b747400erf

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:42 pm

OA412 wrote:
YLWbased wrote:
zeke wrote:

YLWbased

Craft beer in America is trying to replicate the quality of beer that has been in Europe for hundreds of years but on a smaller scale. Not a comparison between continents.

GiveMeWings

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Fantastic news indeed for Dublin. Cannot wait to see the operations start over here. Hopefully I will be able to sample that route not in the too distant future.

RyanairGuru

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 pm

The USA has probably the best 'micro brews' in the world, and it is a massive industry. Portland, Seattle and other cities produce some amazing beer.

BUT the problem with a 'micro brew' is that it is consumed locally, and certainly never exported.

You can bang on all day about how good the beers are, but that doesn't change the fact that the average European or Asian has no clue whatsoever.

User001

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

CX has announced 3 great routes and most posts are arguing about who makes a better beer? Wrong forum guys!

787Driver

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:32 pm

Ferryflight wrote:
hispanola wrote:
CPH was a surprise to me, but I guess many people wouldn't have expected DUB either.

No doubt CPH is by far the weakest one of the new. The perception of CPH in the aviation community is always a bitt too optimistic in regards to their actual local market potential. With exemption of the M3 and PIA, all non STAR intercontinental routes have failed at CPH. It is and will always be dependent on nearby Germans and Swedes to fill up these kind of routes and the market just ain't that large if it's not supported by STAR connecting pax.

BS. Norwegian is doing just fine several intercontinental routes in and out of CPH

Ferryflight

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 pm

Interesting if Aer Lingus and CX will enter a oneworld codeshare or joint venture on DUB-HKT.

Ferryflight

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:45 pm

787Driver wrote:

BS. Norwegian is doing just fine several intercontinental routes in and out of CPH

The LCC modell is not comparable to fullservice airlines who depends on feed and higher yield.
CX compared to DY cannot survive on local traffic stimulatef by low prices. It's a whole different market and revenue setup.

This is the same story for all of Scandinavia. The large intercontinental trunk routes needs STAR feed unless they are stumulated by LCCs. A market I personally never compare.

pasu129

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 pm

DUB-HKT? Who's going to Thailand via HKG?

AA100

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:30 pm

pasu129 wrote:
DUB-HKT? Who's going to Thailand via HKG?

I am sure a lot of people just like they do from places like MAN and LHR. But I think he meant to say 'HKG'

BENAir01

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Flying Belgian wrote:
Huge catch for BRU airport it is...

CX must rely on strong O&D market expectations as BRU is a large Star Alliance hub. But this was never a problem for Hainan.

Hainan code shares extensively with SN.

PW100

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 pm

American beer discussions, reminded me of this Monty Python classic:

Frankly overhere, we find your american beer, is a little like making love in a canoe . . . . . . . . it's f***ing close to water!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbxfFOdp-bY

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
OA412 wrote:
The rumor of DFW never did make sense as it's just not a "beer destination." Sure it may be up and coming as locals have reported, and perhaps it's famous locally, but it just doesn't have the same standing as currently established beer cities like Portland and Denver.

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
No US city is world famous for beer so you can rule all those out straight away.

The point is however that Belgium, Ireland and Denmark are all much more synonymous with beer than the USA actually is.
That said, it is all down to a matter of preference and taste - I'm Irish and I would gladly drink Belgian beer over the piss poor American beer any day.

OA412 please just read what I wrote - the US cities are *NOT* FAMOUS for it!

It really doesn't matter if the beer in Portland or Denver is any good or not(*), Cathay is from South East Asia - Carlsberg and Guinness are popular there and represent their home towns to just about everyone who looks at a poster on a cafe wall. Beer aficionados all over the world will have heard of the beer culture around Brussels.

US cities rank absolutely nowhere in this respect. If anything, US beer is infamously bad as Skyblue39 insinuates.

(*) as a beer drinker I have tried many, many, many brews from around the world and even supposedly good craft beers from the US only rate a "meh!" for me. I'm with Skyblue39 on this one; if I had to choose it would be something Belgian first. A nice Kwak, Duvel, Grimbergen Dubbel or Tripel, Delerium Tremens, Chimay, Affligem, Westmalle, Gulden Draak... argh! too many choices!

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:18 pm

Breathe wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

St Louis - Budweiser and Milwaukee - Miller are not famous for beer?!

No.

I have heard of them - but seriously, not world famous.

Also there is a massive craft beer scene in the USA. American beer is extremely popular and in demand worldwide.

And again, no.

There is a tiny market but to call them "extremely popular" in an international context is deluding yourself. I have seen a couple of different labels in specialist bars here in the UK. On the other hand there are shelves and shelves of big international commercial brews in every supermarket in Europe, plus a respectable display of specialty Belgian, British, German, Eastern European etc. beers in the better outlets. In my experience, US craft beers have made no impact there at all.

In other parts of the world I've been to it's usually one or two regional lagers plus the usual Heineken, Carlsberg, Guinness...

But I will now make it a point to seek out those craft beers next time I'm shopping and if can find any I'll give them another go! Cheers! :-)

RL777

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:45 pm

I find it rather amusing how quickly some users get offended due to differ of opinion, this thread is about CX launching three new destinations. Let's try and get back to that.

CHI2DFW

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:50 pm

To all my friends and neighbors here in Dallas that said "internal posts say Dallas," what happened? We knew Detroit was one letter too much, but AA flies DFW-HKG and EI is part of IAG, and "Dublin" is a missing link, and does have some fine beer, and whisky too!

Where did the sources fail or was it just made up hoping for the best?

Cunard

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:20 am

RL777 wrote:
I find it rather amusing how quickly some users get offended due to differ of opinion, this thread is about CX launching three new destinations. Let's try and get back to that.

The who's beer is best post has ended now and the continuation of the CX thread starts here....................

SurlyBonds

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:09 am

zeke wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Dude. That's why they're called "craft" beers. They're local, not mega-brands. That doesn't mean they're inferior. Is Jiro's boutique sushi joint in a Tokyo railway station "inferior" to Nobu?

SurlyBonds

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:11 am

zeke wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Then people in Asia are being very small-minded. Remind me again how many Michelin-starred restaurants there are in NY/SF?

BestWestern

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:14 am

Actually, we have moved into Whiskey. Irish whiskey has an 'e' in the name.

Now that's cleared up, I'm looking forward to a direct HKG DUB service. this takes about three hours and a lot of stress off a transfer journey.

Dublin has a great mix of business, holiday and transfer traffic to make this work. Throw in an efficient, comfortable, A350 and fingers crossed it can work.

There is a sizeable expat community of Irish in Hong Kong, and a huge Chinese / HK community in Dublin. Student links are growing too.

wenders825

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:17 am

what forum am I reading?

I'm pretty glad to see Dusseldorf in the mix for now. hopefully Munich is the next city in Europe they go for.

aemoreira1981

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:38 am

Surprised that MUC wasn't announced. CPH is summer seasonal, while DUB and BRU are year-round.

Starlionblue

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:52 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Surprised that MUC wasn't announced. CPH is summer seasonal, while DUB and BRU are year-round.

MUC is already served daily by LH. Probably more growth potential if there's no direct competition.

Breathe wrote:
zeke wrote:
[

I must disagree with that statement. A lot of craft beers are available in supermarket shelves in Europe. To say American craft beers are unknown was not my experience when I was there. The people in the bars I visited were extremely knowledgeable about American craft beers.

You say "in Europe", but Zeke specifically mentioned "in Hong Kong", where American craft beer is pretty scarce.

It is a fallacy to think that a mass market advertisement from an airline assumes enthusiast knowledge about a specific type of beverage. That would be bad marketing.

For the record, I have enjoyed lots of good American beer. But it's not like I can go to the supermarket and find even a Yuengling anywhere but in the US.

jbpdx wrote:
Brussels and Dublin. But they already fly to Copenhagen. Cincinnati?

CX does not already fly to Copenhagen, though IIRC they have done so in the past.
Last edited by Starlionblue on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

zeke

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:59 am

RL777 wrote:

It's of the typical A v B argument, the American psyche seems offended that some other country can produce a very competitive product of good quality that is very popular worldwide. Locally made has to be better.

Hong Kong imported a total of around 16000 gallons (around 500 barrels) of beer from the US in the past 12 months. A small microbrewery will produce around 15000 barrels a year, I.e. 3-4% of the total output of a single small microbrewery would have been imported in Hong Kong in the past 12 months.

Nami

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:17 am

Starlionblue wrote:

jbpdx wrote:

CX does not already fly to Copenhagen, though IIRC they have done so in the past.

They haven't. It was SK that used to fly from CPH to HK between 1992 and 1999.

MalevTU134

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:20 am

Nami wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

jbpdx wrote:

They haven't. SK used to fly from CPH to HK between 1992 and 1999.

CX have however flown to ARN. Just like SK is now flying ARN-HKG.

Starlionblue

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:21 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Nami wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Aaaah. Thx for info.

Nami

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:37 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Nami wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Not exactly "just like SK", since the CX flights to and from ARN were via FRA.

MalevTU134

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:47 am

Nami wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Nami wrote:

Not exactly "just like SK", since the CX flights to and from ARN were via FRA.

:roll: ...that is correct, and SK doesn't use the 743 either, as CX used to do... Other times...that was 22 years ago...

b747400erf

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am

CHI2DFW wrote:
To all my friends and neighbors here in Dallas that said "internal posts say Dallas," what happened? We knew Detroit was one letter too much, but AA flies DFW-HKG and EI is part of IAG, and "Dublin" is a missing link, and does have some fine beer, and whisky too!

Where did the sources fail or was it just made up hoping for the best?

A game of telephone.

B777LRF

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 am

Ferryflight wrote:
hispanola wrote:
With exemption of the M3 and PIA, all non STAR intercontinental routes have failed at CPH.

It will be news to most, that Delta Air Lines is a *Alliance member ...

PS
'Only' 2 out of 3 ME3 airlines are serving CPH.

330lover

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Breathe wrote:
YLWbased wrote:
zeke wrote:

YLWbased

If I am not mistaken, a lot of the good/best American beers carry the label "(old) Belgian style" or something similar.
Whatever, there are good beers everywhere (even Holland, like La Trappe). So why not go back to the topic of CX launching new destnations, coincidentally beer capitals...

Cheers from a Belgian (BBCW = Best Beer Country Worldwide :) ) in Hungary. Where we have quite some good beers either, to be honest...

pmartin

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:57 pm

So what next. According to Anna Aero (www.anna.aero/2017/09/01/cathay-pacific ... gen-dublin), Geneva is now the largest route with a direct service to HKG. In fact the HKG O&D is higher than BRU or DUB, and the yield is with no doubt way better. But was is missing until 2020 when the East Wing comes in service is adequate infra for additional long-hauls.

Rajahdhani

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Ferryflight wrote:
hispanola wrote:

A 'vise' move indeed - my thoughts on CPH were; cargo, and perhaps adding capacity to pick up some of passengers that would connect anyway (sure - you've astutely identified them as the 'Germans and the Swedes'). My only other thought, was to stave off DU's attempt into the market. I agree with your logic as well, though - on the topic of success; in that without local connecting partners, I cannot see how this can work in any carriers favor, save for catering so heavily to O/D that it has an anemic effect on loads. Their 'light' approach; seasonal, less than daily; 'vise' approach indeed. Let's hope that CX can grow the -HKG feeds to fatten the loads and offerings in future. I mean, for the purpose of connectivity - many points in South East Asia, Austral-Asia are better connected via shorter distances on a -HKG routing, than they would be via many -DXB, -DOH, -AUH, -IST routings that veer too far south to accomodate their hubs into the 'ideal' northerly tracks of the routing between CPH and HKG.

A brutal move here would be to see when/if a mainland Chinese competitor were to launch the -CPH leg.

N14AZ

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Was not able to read all four pages but I was suprised that people thought of Vienna. I am sure they have some beer but Vienna is known for Heuriger, not beer.

PS.: sorry, wasn't even able to say what it is. Some kind of cidre? I only know how it feels when you drink to much of it ....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos