Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

USAOZ

Re: Could Fiji Airways become the Icelandair in the South Pacific?

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 am

aklrno wrote:
I recall TN doing the hub and spoke thing out of PPT. Did it myself a couple of times LAX-PPT-AKL. Don't know if they still do. In some ways NAN is better situated to fly long haul to North American and Asia connecting to medium-short haul to all of Oceana as shown in the last map from planemanofnz. If it works for TN, it should work better for FJ. And the people in Fiji may be the nicest on earth.

The one thing I hated about LAX-PPT-AKL was that I couldn't get any decent sleep because halfway all their planes met in PPT, everyone tramped in to the terminal for 2 hours, then all the planes (5 x A340?) loaded up and continued. A very unpleasant experience. I paid more for LAX-AKL non-stop but I could sleep the whole way.
have a look at NZ route map.

From Australia, you fly south-east to then fly north-east to got o LAX, SFO, YVR, HOU. Fiji geographically is in much better location than AKL for USA/Canada routes.

http://www.airnztravelagent.com/sites/d ... 0APR15.pdf

Of course there's a lot more traffic between Australia & AKL, than Australia & Nan, but that's no reason NAN can't be a smaller version of AKL hub.

All NAN/LAX (daily) & 2 of 3 weekly NAN/SFO services depart 2130 to 2200, so flights arriving from BNE, SYD + maybe PER, ADL, CBR, MEL(note current ADL & MEL/NAN flights are red eyes & don't connect, except to additional NAN/SFO flights on Tuesdays which depart NAN @ 0700).

Why 0700 ? A time when an A330 was otherwise sitting at NAN & does a fast turnaround at SFO & back to NAN, rather than sunbaking all day.

planemanofnz

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:57 am

USAOZ wrote:
Fiji geographically is in much better location than AKL for USA/Canada routes

Better? Yes. "Much" better? No. The extent to which NAN has a competitive advantage over AKL depends on the departure port in Australia.

AKL is particularly well placed for Victoria and Tasmania, which are far less competitive markets than New South Wales (for example, there is no AA or DL at MEL).

Indeed, MEL - NAN - LAX is 7,922 mi, while MEL - AKL - LAX is only ~200 mi longer, at 8,147 mi. The advantage with HBA as the departure port shrinks to just ~20 mi.

For IAH, AKL actually has a competitive advantage over NAN from MEL, with MEL - AKL - IAH being 9,058 mi, and MEL - NAN - IAH being 9,066 mi.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, as NZ and FJ do not fly to HBA, and FJ does not fly to IAH.

Cheers,

C.

OlafW

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:44 am

To make a comparison to FI worthwile, I suggest one should look at Oceania-South America connections. For those, PPT might make sense as the Southern Hemisphere counterpart to KEF. distances are roughly equal to both continents from there. But then again, given that there are very few Southern TPAC connections anyway, I'd think it's questionable if there is any demand for that.

planemanofnz

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am

OlafW wrote:
For those, PPT might make sense as the Southern Hemisphere counterpart to KEF

Not really - take SYD - GRU as an example (as it is probably the biggest city pairing between Oceania and South America):

SYD - AKL - GRU = 8,829 mi
SYD - NAN - GRU = 10,310 mi
SYD - PPT - GRU = 10,347 mi

A NAN stop is quicker than a PPT stop, but even then, NAN is still almost 2,000 mi - or 20% - longer than an AKL stop.

Even in the Asia - South America corridor, a PPT stop is only quicker than an AKL or NAN stop for NRT - GRU (not for HKG - GRU or SIN - GRU):

Cheers,

C.

USAOZ

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Another A332 for FJ is in the way with 3 flights oer week NAN/NRT drim 3 July

zkojq

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 pm

USAOZ wrote:
Another A332 for FJ is in the way with 3 flights oer week NAN/NRT drim 3 July

Was told the same by a friend who flies for FJ a few days ago. Great to see that they're expanding.

USAOZ

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 am

so presume utilisation of A330 fleet of five now, will mean that 3 or even 4 more days a week of flying in busy periods, with maintenance in low season.

Wonder where they'll go ?

More flights on existing routes or new routes ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos