Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CHI2DFW
Topic Author

Rumor: ORD-TLV soon!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:28 am

Reliable sources in Chicago that predicted the ME3 and LO to KRK and BUD, now say an ORD-TLV route "is in the works." Also, the city is working on ADD, AKL, ATH, BOG, CAI, CGN, DKR, DME, EZE, GIG, GYE, LIM, LIS, MXP, NBO, SCL, SYD, and UIO.

ADrum23

Re: Rumor: ORD-TLV soon!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:32 am

Excellent! Will this be on one of the new dreamliners El Al got?

KTPAFlyer

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:35 am

CHI2DFW wrote:
Also, the city is working on ADD, AKL, ATH, BOG, CAI, CGN, DKR, DME, EZE, GIG, GYE, LIM, LIS, MXP, NBO, SCL, SYD, and UIO.

One of these is different from the others.

jbs2886

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:36 am

ADrum23 wrote:

Either those or UA, which is very strong in TLV.

ADrum23

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:37 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
CHI2DFW wrote:
Also, the city is working on ADD, AKL, ATH, BOG, CAI, CGN, DKR, DME, EZE, GIG, GYE, LIM, LIS, MXP, NBO, SCL, SYD, and UIO.

One of these is different from the others.

Which one is different, do you know?

Midwestindy

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:38 am

CHI2DFW wrote:
Reliable sources in Chicago that predicted the ME3 and LO to KRK and BUD, now say an ORD-TLV route "is in the works." Also, the city is working on ADD, AKL, ATH, BOG, CAI, CGN, DKR, DME, EZE, GIG, GYE, LIM, LIS, MXP, NBO, SCL, SYD, and UIO.

Would like to see US flights to Sub-Saharan Africa, but I feel as if DKR, NBO, and ADD is a bit ambitious...

ADrum23

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:38 am

jbs2886 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Either those or UA, which is very strong in TLV.

I'd be surprised if it was UA over El Al, I remember them saying they were looking at ORD and MIA for their next round of expansion.

ADrum23

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:44 am

Midwestindy wrote:
CHI2DFW wrote:

Would like to see US flights to Sub-Saharan Africa, but I feel as if DKR, NBO, and ADD is a bit ambitious...

Didn't AA consider African flights from MIA a few years back? What happened there?

Midwestindy

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:02 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
CHI2DFW wrote:

Didn't AA consider African flights from MIA a few years back? What happened there?

The economy in most of Sub-Sahara tanked in the past few years but has since rebounded (although not fully). And although` I wasn't aware that AA was considering African flights, I suspect at the time the economy is probably what stopped them.

Furthermore, I suspect range and altitude(NBO/ADD) will be problems for any ORD-ADD/NBO flights. MIA is ideally situated for US-Sub-Saharan connections, however, it lacks the O&D that ORD has... so we will see what happens...

jumbojet

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:21 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
CHI2DFW wrote:

AA is to busy trying to play keeping up with the Joneses in China that I suspect they don't have the wherewithal to focus on Africa. I would suspect that they only have so many assets that they can deploy to so many places. China has become more of a priority for them. Delta has recently announced a small expansion into Africa by the way,
Last edited by jumbojet on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

luftaom

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:25 am

Which aircraft currently in service can do ORD-SYD with a reasonable payload on the westbound?

NichCage

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:09 am

When did El Al cut Chicago? Was it direct or one-stop?

Otherwise, nice to see this expansion from El Al. Miami was announced and will be started this November, and Chicago would also be an nice addition to the network.

I doubt United will fly from Chicago to Tel Aviv. Now that San Francisco to Tel Aviv exists, it must have affect the Newark to Tel Aviv flights a bit.

aemoreira1981

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:09 am

I have been hearing about that on an LY Boeing 787-8 when it arrives. It would be a 5365 nmi trip as the crow flies...a little below maximum range. This would seem good as a summer seasonal route. During the winter, traffic could be routed onto B6 via BOS or JFK.

LAXdude1023

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:00 am

This reeks of simply being made up.

AMollenhauer9

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:11 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

I don't think so. This rumor has been swirling around for a couple of years now and El Al is finally getting the aircraft they need.

AMollenhauer9

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:16 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I have been hearing about that on an LY Boeing 787-8 when it arrives. It would be a 5365 nmi trip as the crow flies...a little below maximum range. This would seem good as a summer seasonal route. During the winter, traffic could be routed onto B6 via BOS or JFK.

The maximum range of a 787-8 is over 7,000 nmi and it routinely does SFO-TLV which is be much longer than ORD-TLV

BENAir01

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:28 am

Midwestindy wrote:
CHI2DFW wrote:

It says they are working in. They are probably not trying to hat all theee, but rather talking so thay have multiple options available.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:01 am

CHI2DFW wrote:

Reliable sources? Are you sure you havn'the missed a few more major cities of the world and posted them as possible cities to fly to? This thread is B.S. without sources and all you have done is picked EVERY major city currently not flown to and listed them.

klm617

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:29 am

NichCage wrote:

Otherwise, nice to see this expansion from El Al. Miami was announced and will be started this November, and Chicago would also be an nice addition to the network.

I doubt United will fly from Chicago to Tel Aviv. Now that San Francisco to Tel Aviv exists, it must have affect the Newark to Tel Aviv flights a bit.

It was flown over YMX with a combination of 767 and 747 I would say they dropped it sometime in the 1980's. After that it was operated by North American on behalf of EL AL over JFK

yochai

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:45 am

klm617 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

It was flown over YMX with a combination of 767 and 747 I would say they dropped it sometime in the 1980's. After that it was operated by North American on behalf of EL AL over JFK[/quote

It was also operated with a 772 via EWR LY27/8 until 2003 IIRC

ORD Boy 2

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:43 pm

I hope this is true. Working in my field, I know the state of Illinois (including the Governor) and the Jewish community hosted an event campaigning the Israeli Ministry of Tourism for the flight. Here is the public Facebook post. https://www.facebook.com/aviv.ezra.370/ ... nref=story

jmscsc

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:13 pm

NichCage wrote:

I flew the El Al flight from ORD - TLV in December of 1997. It was a 747 with a stop in Newark in both directions. I couldn't tell you when it ended.

LAXdude1023

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:48 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I don't think so. This rumor has been swirling around for a couple of years now and El Al is finally getting the aircraft they need.

Read the OP again. How could this possibly be reliable.

leo777

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:59 pm

I think MNL was missed as well :lol: ;). I could see BOG or LIM being added but not EZE and SCL. If BOG or LIM is added one can connect via Avianca to the rest of South America. EZE, GIG and MXP have already been tried and cancelled so i am about 99.99% sure those routes will not be relaunched :white:. I can see at least 1 route to the African continent sooner than later as ORD has no direct flights there.
Last edited by leo777 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freshside3

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:02 pm

CHI2DFW wrote:

It is natural to think that LY, with a new plane, an increased number of visitors to Israel, and ORD the "missing city", that it makes logical sense. But just like some of the others, I am skeptical.....but I surely welcome the idea of ORD-TLV. Definitely won't be AA, and highly unlikely UA. Will be LY or the status quo(nothing).

Quite a bit of range needed for ORD-SYD, so no, there.
Difficult to determine how EZE/GIG would work nowadays. The economics may be different now.
BOG-------maybe.
ATH--------A3 has no equipment, UA's management is all deaf to the suggestions by their Premier members and employees.........so, it's AA, or maybe ET(see next comment).
DME-------it would do OK....but it would be better to do flights to LED or KBP instead.
LIS---------More of a need for it at SFO.
CGN-------It probably would actually do well. More interest in CGN lately. It would be consistent with EW's expansion in other parts of the USA. And then there's the AB bankruptcy, with less flights from non-FRA/MUC German cities to the USA.

Midwestindy wrote:
Furthermore, I suspect range and altitude(NBO/ADD) will be problems for any ORD-ADD/NBO flights. MIA is ideally situated for US-Sub-Saharan connections, however, it lacks the O&D that ORD has... so we will see what happens...

ORD to ADD needs a stop, without question. Just make it ATH, and it will take care of three things.......ORD-ATH local needs; connecting ORD and Africa; and local need for ATH-ADD.
Last edited by Freshside3 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b747400erf

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 pm

El Al opening new routes when their new 787's will be replacing old aircraft? This has to be a United route.

Freshside3

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:50 pm

NichCage wrote:

Not nearly as much as most would have guessed, on the surface. Keep in mind that AA dumped PHL-TLV, not so long ago. PHL/EWR are not exactly co-terminals, but they are relatively close to each other.

b747400erf wrote:
El Al opening new routes when their new 787's will be replacing old aircraft? This has to be a United route.

UA is still possible, but I wouldn't think as likely as LY. Much will depend on the fleet orders for either/both carriers. As we all know, UA is retiring the 747s, and is constantly shuffling the equipment at the present time.

airzona11

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:01 pm

UA has tapped into the high value tech market between Bay Area and TLV. ORD doesnt seem too crazy of an add with a 787. Business ties and a huge hub.

IrishAyes

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 am

So CH-AVIATION reported that Global Ghana Airways is looking to start 3x weekly Chicago O'Hare-Accra, Ghana, flights with effect from November 1, 2017.

usflyer msp

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:22 am

i am doubtful of this. ORD-TLV is quite the low yielding market - while there are lots of Jews in Chicago there are not enough business ties between the two cities to fill up the front cabin. When I went to Israel several years ago, I flew from ORD because it was significantly cheaper (less than half the price of MSP-TLV) and it does not look like that has changed...

kiowa

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 am

It would seem like a good add for United. There is no 787 base currently in ORD though. I believe that would be a good aircraft for a thin route initially.

B0pp0

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:15 am

I wonder why nobody has their teeth in IAD-TLV between population and governmental ties. Was LY's attempt at BWI up the road that much of a disaster?

2Holer4Longhaul

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:36 am

kiowa wrote:
It would seem like a good add for United. There is no 787 base currently in ORD though. I believe that would be a good aircraft for a thin route initially.

There's an easy solution to that: send the 788 SFO-TLV-ORD-TLV-SFO.
Even more brain-dead easy is a positioning flight from any of the 787 bases.

Tdan

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:15 am

OP list of carriers being courted by CDA is incorrect and closer to a dartboard than anything else.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is leading a trade delegation to Israel this week and they are likely meeting with El Al among other companies and government officials. This is likely where the rumor is coming from. Miami did this early in the year, MWAA too. Happens everwhere and does not mean service is imminent by any means

kiowa

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 am

Tdan wrote:
OP list of carriers being courted by CDA is incorrect and closer to a dartboard than anything else.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is leading a trade delegation to Israel this week and they are likely meeting with El Al among other companies and government officials. This is likely where the rumor is coming from. Miami did this early in the year, MWAA too. Happens everwhere and does not mean service is imminent by any means

Dead rumor? Just another polititian going on a vacation paid by the taxpayers while his district is drowning in debt?

LAX772LR

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:26 am

ORD-NBO?
Hahahah! That was a good one! :rotfl:

What else ya got?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos