Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WaywardMemphian

Re: WOW Air adds KEF-CVG, STL, DTW & CLE!

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:43 pm

American smells what the Kjos is cooking:
https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... fares.html

Here's the problem I see with American's plan,
It's not the Iceland wonderboys, it is Norwegian that's the 900lb gorrilla. American will not put planes for nonstops in the market Norwegian is going to send those A321s in to. They are married to the hub and spoke for better or worse. Right now, they could answer because Norwegian has to be selective with the 787's. They get the A321LRs and they'll try all kinds of markets. But, the US 3 are clearly feeling the increasing heat.

Midwestindy

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:51 am

uconn99 wrote:
thegreatRDU wrote:
WOW Air should take a hard look at BNA, RDU, IND, and BDL.

2-3x a week timed with connections, they'll work.

I agree, add CMH to the list.

I'll throw in CLT, because this link: https://airwaysmag.com/airports/wow-air ... expansion/ mentions BNA, IND, CMH, and CLT as likely next destinations

Here are some interesting quotes about WW future US plans....

“We will continue to add destinations in the U.S. in the next weeks and as always offer the lowest fares.”-WOW

"Asked if there was demand to support the new non-stops to Iceland, especially from the three smaller markets included in Wednesday’s announcement, Mogensen struck a bullish tone. 
“We like the region. We think there’s opportunity there. We think it’s under-served,” -WOW Possibly hinting at another midwest destination?

"Wow has “studied” Columbus a bit more and asked more questions but passed on the city without specifying the reasons, Whitaker said."- Columbus Dispatch

ADrum23

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:59 am

Midwestindy wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
thegreatRDU wrote:
WOW Air should take a hard look at BNA, RDU, IND, and BDL.

2-3x a week timed with connections, they'll work.

I agree, add CMH to the list.

I'll throw in CLT, because this link: https://airwaysmag.com/airports/wow-air ... expansion/ mentions BNA, IND, CMH, and CLT as likely next destinations

Here are some interesting quotes about WW future US plans....

“We will continue to add destinations in the U.S. in the next weeks and as always offer the lowest fares.”-WOW

"Asked if there was demand to support the new non-stops to Iceland, especially from the three smaller markets included in Wednesday’s announcement, Mogensen struck a bullish tone. 
“We like the region. We think there’s opportunity there. We think it’s under-served,” -WOW Possibly hinting at another midwest destination?

"Wow has “studied” Columbus a bit more and asked more questions but passed on the city without specifying the reasons, Whitaker said."- Columbus Dispatch

I don't think BNA gets any further TATL service (even from WOW) until the new BA LHR flight starts and they see how well it does.

WOW at CLT would be nice as it would provide AA with some competition. Same with RDU.

WOW would be a nice starter for CMH TATL service, but I wonder if being in between CVG and CLE would be an issue?

airberlin2017

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:26 pm

KEF-CVG: 06/01 - 09/11 from 4 to 5x weekly due the strong bookings on this route!

stl07

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 pm

airberlin2017 wrote:
KEF-CVG: 06/01 - 09/11 from 4 to 5x weekly due the strong bookings on this route!

Same from STL too!

flymco753

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 pm

I want to assume DTW and CLE aren’t doing well for WW, or are typical and average as opposed to strong. I can think the reason why CLE might not be strong is because travelers are finding FI a better deal.

As for DTW, this is the only European ULCC and there should be no excuse as to why this route is sub par or average. That’s disappointing, with an international market that strong.

It’s great to see STL sand CVG succeeding with WW. Perhaps these, along with PIT could be good candidates for eventual, daily service.

klm617

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I want to assume DTW and CLE aren’t doing well for WW, or are typical and average as opposed to strong. I can think the reason why CLE might not be strong is because travelers are finding FI a better deal.

As for DTW, this is the only European ULCC and there should be no excuse as to why this route is sub par or average. That’s disappointing, with an international market that strong.

It’s great to see STL sand CVG succeeding with WW. Perhaps these, along with PIT could be good candidates for eventual, daily service.

Keep in mind that out of the 4 cities that Detroit has 12 other nonstops to Europe to compete against. In Detroit WOW will have to make more of a name for itself than it does in the other 3 markets.

RJNUT

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:18 pm

flymco753 wrote:

no offense to CVG or STL but I would have assumed CLE,DTW would lead the pack. It will be interesting after this coming summer what the fallout is on all this Iceland service. I am in KC and am thrilled but worry about the potential numbers.

ncflyer

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Why would you expect CLe to lead the pack when it also has service from a better airline to the same destination? As a Clevelander I can tell you which one I’m picking when the time comes…

RJNUT

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:08 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Why would you expect CLe to lead the pack when it also has service from a better airline to the same destination? As a Clevelander I can tell you which one I’m picking when the time comes…

when I think WOW I think of college students so I try to imagine each markets draw from nearby institutions. CLE in my mind would beat CVG in that category but actually they might be even? . Make no mistake, being in KC, I am far more enthused about receiving FI than WW!! (born in CLE , btw)

greenair727

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:09 pm

^In CLE, FI has 5x week and WW 4. That's 9 flights a week. In any event, service doesn't begin until May, so its premature to see how any of these new routes (incl CVG, STL, DTW) will be doing.

stl07

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^In CLE, FI has 5x week and WW 4. That's 9 flights a week. In any event, service doesn't begin until May, so its premature to see how any of these new routes (incl CVG, STL, DTW) will be doing.

I mean we are seeing added frequencies so obviously WW doesn't think its premature.

BreezyIAH

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Would WOW ever partner up with someone like WestJet or WN like EasyJet has done with Norwegian? Would IcelandAir ever join an alliance?

ncflyer

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:49 pm

The other observation to make about CLE is anecdotally, FI seems very price competitive to WW, especially considering that so much more is included with the base fair on the former. I am not familiar enough with FI to know if it’s how they always price or it’s price matching.

SRQKEF

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:23 am

RJNUT wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

no offense to CVG or STL but I would have assumed CLE,DTW would lead the pack. It will be interesting after this coming summer what the fallout is on all this Iceland service. I am in KC and am thrilled but worry about the potential numbers.

I've heard from reliable sources within FI that advance bookings on KEF-MCI are absolutely fantastic and far above their expectations. If that continues to play out, you don't need to worry about KC. :)

However, I agree with some of the markets that FI and WW are both opening at the same time. DFW in particular might get ugly, with AA also joining on the other side that route goes from never being operated before to 3 carriers within a month or so.

RJNUT

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:51 am

^^^ thanks SRQ. Kansas City is a beautiful place to leave in the summer!!! I am aiming for a trip to KEF near the end of the service period as I am fully committed most of the summer, probably the last weekend of service in Sep.

flyguy89

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:06 am

RJNUT wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

when I think WOW I think of college students so I try to imagine each markets draw from nearby institutions. CLE in my mind would beat CVG in that category but actually they might be even? . Make no mistake, being in KC, I am far more enthused about receiving FI than WW!! (born in CLE , btw)

I don't know why you would think that. College students have very little disposable income and, but for a minority, can't afford to travel internationally. Certainly WOW's flights will be a draw to budget-conscious fliers looking for a deal to Europe which college students are a part, but a minority nonetheless. Far and away most of WOW's travelers will be college graduates with jobs and disposable incomes.

izbtmnhd

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 am

Like it was posted upthread CLE-KEF is essentially 9x weekly with FI and WW.

So if we’re going to judge market “strength” by the amount of flights available you could say CLE is still the strongest market to Iceland by far of the four. No?

klm617

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:19 am

Operational reliability is what's going to make or break WOW Air in the Detroit market. If they can keep customer satisfaction high then they have a great chance at making Detroit work. This flight is going to either make or break the Detroit market as far as international expansion goes EI and DY will be watching closely.

Midwestindy

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:19 am

RJNUT wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

The times on the CVG, DTW, and CLE flights are pretty bad... Imagine traveling with your children and departing DTW at 12:50 at night, ouch....

At least the STL-KEF flight leaves at around 10:55 pm, and the KEF-STL lands at 8:25 pm which probably explains why the STL flight is doing well compared to the others (other than the fact it has no competition)

aemoreira1981

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:26 am

On the A330, I wonder if Newark will get up-gauged to an A333 on WW to compete with Icelandair, given that on the North American side, the B753 of FI goes only to Newark (it used to go to JFK before being upgauged to a B763); that will obviously change now that FI has bought one of IZ's two 753s. (Right now, Icelandair offers 465 daily seats to the NYC area.) I could see WW also try to compete with PS, J2, and TK on the one-stop ZNY-TLV market by upgauging that to an A330.

RJNUT

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:28 am

from a trip report on Quora.com. anecdotal observation about the plane demographic

"This might be different for flights from California. If not, I would not want to fly WOW to Iceland from SFO or LAX….)
At 36, I felt like the oldest person on the plane. WOW apparently is very popular with 20-something travelers. My flight back from Reykjavik to New York felt like sitting in a college class. Hate to say it, but I feel like the company probably preys on college-age students eager to travel but not too eager to read the fine print (about baggage fees, in-flight food, etc.)"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos