Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dlatl37
Topic Author

Delta A319/A320 New Overhead Bins

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Anyone know what is going on with the new overhead bins on the A319 and A320?

I have seen so many issues with them lately.
1. They never stay down for customers to put luggage in or pull it out..
2. Almost every time there is at least one unit with "unserviceable" tape on it placing the bin out of order.

Also are they going to ever address the PSU units? Too many issues with people not being able to determine which button does what etc.
Seems like a simple solution:
1. Change the flight attendant call buttons to RED.. right now they are black and easily confused with the rest of the black panel / light switches
2. Change the light switches to a yellow or white button. against the black trim it would help eliminate the confusion.
3. not that big of a deal but the gasper vents shouldn't be black too.. when older people are on the flight and its dark outside they cant locate them.. They blend in too much with the rest of the new PSU unit..

Osubuckeyes

Re: Delta A319/A320 New Overhead Bins

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Numerous flights this year, and haven't had a problem with the overhead bins. The only issue I've sometimes seen is that someone opens one and another person is standing below and it hits them, but that should be avoidable.

I have noticed that they have started to emphasis where the call button is in the flight announcements whether it is during taxi, or pre-beverage service.

24Whiskey

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
The only issue I've sometimes seen is that someone opens one and another person is standing below and it hits them, but that should be avoidable.

I hit my girlfriend in the head twice on a trip... but yes when you get used to it they're very nice. The gate agents still make announcements about checking bags but I've never seen any problems finding space.

I do see the point about the buttons. The light buttons are small and sometimes hard to see. Also I've seen the FA call light (yellow glow) get reversed and stay like that the entire flight.

dynkrisolo

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:08 pm

The very reason why it doesn't stay down is because if it stays down, even more people will hit their heads like the two previous replies have mentioned. The 737 design is definitely better in this respect.

gonnagetbumpy

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:32 pm

dynkrisolo wrote:
The very reason why it doesn't stay down is because if it stays down, even more people will hit their heads like the two previous replies have mentioned. The 737 design is definitely better in this respect.

That's not true. They don't stay down because they recently went through a modification that installed stronger springs on the bins. The old springs didn't provide enough lift assist and flight attendants were having a difficult time closing them.

dynkrisolo

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Regardless, the A319/320 bins if stay down will be quite hazardous. Both of the first two replies mentioned hitting heads. Even on the 737s, people complain about hitting heads. The A319/320 bins are even more prone to hitting heads. But I guess people can't complain too much because the old smaller bins hold far fewer carry-ons. Do you want to pay to check your bags, or carry them on?

cessna2

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 pm

That's not true. They don't stay down because they recently went through a modification that installed stronger springs on the bins. The old springs didn't provide enough lift assist and flight attendants were having a difficult time closing them.[/quote]

We still have trouble closing them and they are not safe for us from an ergonomics point of view. The 319/320 used to be our favorite plane, but after the mods it goes pretty junior now. But when you don't have a contract you have no say in your career or any input on design of galleys etc. All about squeezing in as many people as possible to make as much money as possible.

TransWorldOne

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 pm

The interiors on these modified aircraft are nice to look at but many features are largely not functional or practical such as the bins and the micro-lavatories. The spring loaded bins have to be pulled and held down in order to place luggage inside. It often takes two or more people to place a large piece of luggage inside them. The PSU is confusing as ever with very small decals indicating which button does what. I personally have great vision so I have no problem with it, but I have noticed the vast majority of passengers are unable to decifer the difference between the buttons (admittedly they have the same issues on every aircraft, it just seems to be worse on these modified Airbus a/c). The micro-lavs are also troublesome as parents cannot accompany their children in these tiny spaces nor can special needs customers be accompanied by their care takers. Obese customers must also be forced to hold it as these micro-lavs are unable to accommodate large people. The power outlets, IFE (319), and slightly wider seats are all welcome changes. But the aforementioned issues, not to mention the reduced size micro-galleys make these aircraft loathed by passengers and cabin crew alike.

CV880

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 pm

cessna2 wrote:

We still have trouble closing them and they are not safe for us from an ergonomics point of view. The 319/320 used to be our favorite plane, but after the mods it goes pretty junior now. But when you don't have a contract you have no say in your career or any input on design of galleys etc. All about squeezing in as many people as possible to make as much money as possible.

There'll be a contract put out alright....just not the kind You're looking for :twisted:

gonnagetbumpy

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:43 pm

cessna2 wrote:
That's not true. They don't stay down because they recently went through a modification that installed stronger springs on the bins. The old springs didn't provide enough lift assist and flight attendants were having a difficult time closing them.

We still have trouble closing them and they are not safe for us from an ergonomics point of view. The 319/320 used to be our favorite plane, but after the mods it goes pretty junior now. But when you don't have a contract you have no say in your career or any input on design of galleys etc. All about squeezing in as many people as possible to make as much money as possible.[/quote]

Do any of the other airline f/a contracts dictate how the company can configure the aircraft? Delta also extensively works with crews to configure galleys. They've made large updates in the last year with more to Come. I wish my company took feedback from people like Delta does from its people.

freakyrat

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 pm

I flew on one of these A320's twice last year on ski trips from DFW-SLC and had no problem operating the bins. They do come down lower so you want to use some courtesy to seated passengers. The PSU unit is a little confusing at first but easy to figure out. The whole cabin design is much nicer.

cessna2

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:44 pm

gonnagetbumpy wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

Do any of the other airline f/a contracts dictate how the company can configure the aircraft? Delta also extensively works with crews to configure galleys. They've made large updates in the last year with more to Come. I wish my company took feedback from people like Delta does from its people.[/quote]
Other airline contracts dictate they company abide by the recommendations of the workgroup's Health and Safety committee. AS, UA, and WN are great examples of their unions and fa's working together to make their galleys work for them. Overhead bins are designed and tested extensively before being implemented. We don't have that at Delta. We are told what we're getting and taught to accept it. No voice=No say.

n7371f

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:17 am

cessna2 wrote:
gonnagetbumpy wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

Do any of the other airline f/a contracts dictate how the company can configure the aircraft? Delta also extensively works with crews to configure galleys. They've made large updates in the last year with more to Come. I wish my company took feedback from people like Delta does from its people.

Other airline contracts dictate they company abide by the recommendations of the workgroup's Health and Safety committee. AS, UA, and WN are great examples of their unions and fa's working together to make their galleys work for them. Overhead bins are designed and tested extensively before being implemented. We don't have that at Delta. We are told what we're getting and taught to accept it. No voice=No say.[/quote]

Northwest contract with F/A had some language about configuration of A/C/

DL752

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:30 am

Just flew an A321 last night.
There were a few bins that would not stay closed.
A flight attendant has to push 3-4 times to get it to stay - looked like the handle was stuck open.

Customers were also finding ways to get around, stand, and joke about the interfering shape but they did hold a lot!

DL752 :airplane:

Imperialhill

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:31 am

cessna2 wrote:
gonnagetbumpy wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

Other airline contracts dictate they company abide by the recommendations of the workgroup's Health and Safety committee. AS, UA, and WN are great examples of their unions and fa's working together to make their galleys work for them. Overhead bins are designed and tested extensively before being implemented. We don't have that at Delta. We are told what we're getting and taught to accept it. No voice=No say.[/quote]
I dont know where you get your totally incorrect idea that Delta does not work with all departments to implement changes to configurations, and anything to do with IFS! And, I suppose it needs to be said yet again, THIS IS NOT NORTHWEST!!!!!!!! I hear UAL and AS are hiring.......

airportugal310

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:12 am

Imperialhill wrote:
cessna2 wrote:
gonnagetbumpy wrote:

Other airline contracts dictate they company abide by the recommendations of the workgroup's Health and Safety committee. AS, UA, and WN are great examples of their unions and fa's working together to make their galleys work for them. Overhead bins are designed and tested extensively before being implemented. We don't have that at Delta. We are told what we're getting and taught to accept it. No voice=No say.

I dont know where you get your totally incorrect idea that Delta does not work with all departments to implement changes to configurations, and anything to do with IFS! And, I suppose it needs to be said yet again, THIS IS NOT NORTHWEST!!!!!!!! I hear UAL and AS are hiring.......[/quote]

Don't know why you're getting so defensive, so quick...jeez

Newbiepilot

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:34 am

DL752 wrote:
A flight attendant has to push 3-4 times to get it to stay - looked like the handle was stuck open.

Customers were also finding ways to get around, stand, and joke about the interfering shape but they did hold a lot!

Sounds like Airbus on the new A321 interior and Boeing with the 737 interior did much more extensive testing on the new pivot bins that can take 6 bags each. Third party supplemental type certificate designs sometimes font have the same quality as the original equipment manufacturers. I assume the bin design being used on Delta A320s was designed by a third party not involving Airbus but not the A321? I thought those were different since they are new and we're better

Photos from sanspotter https://www.sanspotter.com/2017/02/delt ... alm-beach/

I have flown on a new 737-900ER with these bins and saw no problems, so the concept should be workeable

RDUDDJI

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:37 pm

cessna2 wrote:

That is absolutely false, as others have pointed out. More union "fake news".

timf

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
Sounds like Airbus on the new A321 interior and Boeing with the 737 interior did much more extensive testing on the new pivot bins that can take 6 bags each. Third party supplemental type certificate designs sometimes font have the same quality as the original equipment manufacturers. I assume the bin design being used on Delta A320s was designed by a third party not involving Airbus but not the A321? I thought those were different since they are new and we're better

The A321 uses next-generation OEM bins from Airbus similar to those designed for the A350, while the A319 and A320 use a totally different aftermarket product designed by Zodiac Aerospace.

fanoftristars

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:56 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
The interiors on these modified aircraft are nice to look at but many features are largely not functional or practical such as the bins and the micro-lavatories. The spring loaded bins have to be pulled and held down in order to place luggage inside. It often takes two or more people to place a large piece of luggage inside them. The PSU is confusing as ever with very small decals indicating which button does what. I personally have great vision so I have no problem with it, but I have noticed the vast majority of passengers are unable to decifer the difference between the buttons (admittedly they have the same issues on every aircraft, it just seems to be worse on these modified Airbus a/c). The micro-lavs are also troublesome as parents cannot accompany their children in these tiny spaces nor can special needs customers be accompanied by their care takers. Obese customers must also be forced to hold it as these micro-lavs are unable to accommodate large people. The power outlets, IFE (319), and slightly wider seats are all welcome changes. But the aforementioned issues, not to mention the reduced size micro-galleys make these aircraft loathed by passengers and cabin crew alike.

I think you're being a bit dramatic... I've never needed help putting my bag in. Once one bag is in, the weight is enough to keep it down for other bags to go in. Also, even with it half open you can usually get your bag in flat, then turn it up like a bookcase which holds it down. The "vast majority" can't decipher? Maybe the "vast majority" is confused for the first 10 seconds looking at it but then quickly figures it out. I've probably done 30+ flights on reconfigured planes and if the "vast majority" couldn't tell which button does what, the entire flight would be the FA call button ringing. You might have 1 or 2 times where that happens on a flight.

The bathrooms are really not that bad. And if you're so obese you can't fit, you certainly won't fit in a coach seat. There's still a full size bathroom up front as well, for the obese or a parent with a child. Also keep in mind that Delta is taking out three seats in the rear to expand the galley.

DL752

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
DL752 wrote:

Interesting point, maybe it was just coincidental about the stubborn ones.
As far as the design, the opening downward does take a bit to get used too but no big deal at all!
It actually kept more passengers in their seats! Ha

timf wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

The A321 uses next-generation OEM bins from Airbus similar to those designed for the A350, while the A319 and A320 use a totally different aftermarket product designed by Zodiac Aerospace.

Thanks for the clarification.

bdepalo

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Just recently had 2 A320 flights on Delta. The new overhead bins provide much more space for carry ons. The problem I had eith them is that it was tough to grab my bag out of the bin. Both times my bag got stuck because the bin tries to spring up and close or there needs to be a half inch more clearance.

cessna2

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:45 am

RDUDDJI wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

You should read some contracts. They have specific clauses about following recommendations from the workgroups Health and Safety committee. Educate yourself about unions and the benefits it brings employees. Please don't fall for the "Company always has your back". Its not true.

jetblueguy22

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:49 am

cessna2 wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

You should read some contracts. They have specific clauses about following recommendations from the workgroups Health and Safety committee. Educate yourself about unions and the benefits it brings employees. Please don't fall for the "Company always has your back". Its not true.

Ironic considering you're falling for the "Union is always better" schtick.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos