Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

faxiTMA
Topic Author

FI annouces CLE

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Just announced on the internal website, still looking for a "public" link

# Icelandair Connects Cleveland to Europe

Reykjavík, Iceland, August 22, 2017 – Icelandair is pleased to announce a new gateway in the United States: Cleveland, Ohio. The inaugural flight will take place in May 2018, and will begin with four flights a week. Tickets will be available for purchase in the coming weeks.

The city will be Icelandair’s 19th gateway in North-America

“Cleveland is the perfect destination for our route network. We are happy to be the first carrier to provide service to Europe in 8 years. This addition also strengthens our route network and bridges Europe and Cleveland together by providing direct service to Iceland in addition to quick and convenient connections to 30 destinations in Europe,” says Icelandair CEO Birkir Holm Gudnason.

Whalejet

Re: FI annouces CLE

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:48 pm

God do I hope this is true. FI would be a welcome addition to the entire region.

Dominion301

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Congrats to CLE and long rumoured to happen. I wonder whether FI will announce a couple more destinations in North America for 2018?

Do FI receive their first MAX in 2019?

Indy

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Here is one link. Just have to Google translate it.

http://www.mbl.is/vidskipti/frettir/201 ... cleveland/

"Icelanda­ir has decided to launch a ye­ar­ly flig­ht to the US city of Cleve­land next year. The flig­ht beg­ins in May and will be flown four times a week." (translated)

IceAir778

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Congrats to CLE and long rumoured to happen. I wonder whether FI will announce a couple more destinations in North America for 2018?

Do FI receive their first MAX in 2019?

The are planning to get their first B737MAX in Q1 or in the beginning of Q2 of 2018.
I think we are seeing some routes which would be perfect candidate for B737MAX. CLE is the first one - or it will be mix of 757 and 737.

I was waiting for this to happened.
Exciting times ahead!

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 pm

I knew it would be a LCC! Happy for CLE, they deserve it!

LHUSA

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Makes sense. Perfect addition in regard to their business model. Congrats CLE!

msycajun

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Great news for CLE! Will surely give WOW in PIT a run for their money. I've heard a lot of stories of people driving long distances to PIT who will find the drive to CLE much easier.

klakzky123

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:15 pm

At some point KEF is going to fall over with all of these new routes. But good for CLE.

787fan8

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Well done CLE! Your finally getting what you deserve.

thomasphoto60

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Nice goin CLE, you guys have been taking a beatin over the last few years. Glad to see smaller/medium markets scoring some long haul int'l routes.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Congrats to CLE on regaining TATL service.

plinth857

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:48 pm

This is great news! If all goes well, perhaps their FIS facility could be in for a refresh.

drdisque

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:51 pm

I don't think something like 5-7 weekly flights in the summer and 3-4 in the winter, all on narrowbodies, is enough to justify refreshing the FIS.

DTWorld

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Wow this was very unexpected. Congrats to CLE!

I know a few people in a thread will be crowing about this almost constantly. :duck:

flymco753

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:10 pm

DTWorld wrote:
Wow this was very unexpected. Congrats to CLE!

I know a few people in a thread will be crowing about this almost constantly. :duck:
Starting early, lol. :stirthepot:

IrishAyes

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:13 pm

next up: IND, STL, CMH and CVG :)

OA412

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Congrats to CLE. Hopefully it'll prove a success the way DEN did, and you'll be up to daily summer season flights in a couple years.

IrishAyes wrote:

All would make sense, I think. All three major Ohio airports would be interesting, but they're all large enough markets that I believe FI could make each work on its own.

WA707atMSP

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
At some point KEF is going to fall over with all of these new routes. But good for CLE.

The problem isn't with KEF. It's with Iceland. The Wall Street Journal just published an article about how FI and WOW are bringing more tourists to Iceland than the country can handle. There are shortages of accommodations, traffic congestion is rising, and roadside litter is getting much worse.

If tourist related congestion continues to increase, Iceland may lose its reputation as a natural paradise. The residents of Iceland have some tough decisions ahead: do they want to expand the infrastructure to accommodate more tourists, limit the number of tourist arrivals, or do nothing and risk a backlash from tourists who did not enjoy their visit.

Indy

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Has Iceland's terminal been expanded yet or is what you see on Google Maps accurate?

NichCage

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 pm

CLE used to have service to LHR (previously LGW) and CDG on Continental Airlines before they were both cut, so this is a good route announcement.

kelvin933

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Indy wrote:
Has Iceland's terminal been expanded yet or is what you see on Google Maps accurate?

The Google maps image is outdated, the south building has been enlarged to better handle the bus gates. There has also been internal reconfiguration with the Icelandair Saga lounge moved and enlarged. There are now more food options in the south building and new pop-up retail space (maximum lease time six months).
This does not change the fact that the terminal desperately needs more gates and jet-bridges. The check-in hall needs more desks and while security has benefited from automatic identity check machines for travelers with bio-metric passports more space is needed for security.

Dominion301

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:58 pm

IrishAyes wrote:

In the US, those all make sense, especially the first 3 which have no transatlantic service.

I'm hoping a couple of Canadian destinations are in the pipeline in the next couple of years.

theobcman

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Does FI still have their one Dreamliner on order ?? Just out of interest......

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

In the US, those all make sense, especially the first 3 which have no transatlantic service.

I'm hoping a couple of Canadian destinations are in the pipeline in the next couple of years.

At least for IND, I don't know about the rest, but IND isn't looking for FI to add service because they are looking to add a full-service carrier first. So IND might be less likely than the rest...

kelvin933

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:15 pm

theobcman wrote:
Does FI still have their one Dreamliner on order ?? Just out of interest......

The answer is yes, and it stays on order until it can be converted into something tangible.
The problem is apparently very complicated legal covenants regarding the financing of that particular order. This complication has nothing to do with Boeing and everything to do with Wall Street (before the 2007 crash).

ncflyer

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:15 pm

FI is a full service carrier. They have premium economy and business class. Not to be confused with WOW. Me thinks the powers that be in Indy would be thrilled if they had the same win, especially because as noted airlines are like lemmings.

Jshank83

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

At least for IND, I don't know about the rest, but IND isn't looking for FI to add service because they are looking to add a full-service carrier first. So IND might be less likely than the rest...

STL is in the same boat. That said, I am sure if a LCC came along wanting to start, I doubt an airport would say no.

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:31 pm

ncflyer wrote:
FI is a full service carrier. They have premium economy and business class. Not to be confused with WOW. Me thinks the powers that be in Indy would be thrilled if they had the same win, especially because as noted airlines are like lemmings.

Thrilled is one thing, but would it be successful is another, I don't think the businesses/FFs in IND would switch over from DL/AA/BA to FI if they started service. If anything were to happen I believe it would be summer seasonal. Fair enough, FI is a full service carrier, but in terms of route network/O&D to Iceland, it is less desirable than other full service airlines. In terms of TATL flights the state has said it wants a business route, not a leisure route, and FI KEF-IND comes off as more of a leisure route than anything else.

Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

STL is in the same boat. That said, I am sure if a LCC came along wanting to start, I doubt an airport would say no.

I agree, but I assume IND and STL aren't actively pursuing a LCC like CLE was...

mbm3

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Here is a version of the press release in English: https://globehopper.flights/blog/news-r ... nd-europe/

SRQKEF

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

Thrilled is one thing, but would it be successful is another, I don't think the businesses/FFs in IND would switch over from DL/AA/BA to FI if they started service. If anything were to happen I believe it would be summer seasonal. Fair enough, FI is a full service carrier, but in terms of route network/O&D to Iceland, it is less desirable than other full service airlines. In terms of TATL flights the state has said it wants a business route, not a leisure route, and FI KEF-IND comes off as more of a leisure route than anything else.

Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I agree, but I assume IND and STL aren't actively pursuing a LCC like CLE was...

FI actually have a lot of corporate contracts in places like MSP, DEN, SEA and BOS, especially to Scandinavia. They offer short connections (1hr~) to almost all the major European business gateways, meaning they can get you to LHR, CDG, FRA etc before noon with a departure after dinner stateside. While FI is probably more quasi-full-service than full service per se, it's a whole different animal to WOW which is unquestionably a LCC, and debatably ULCC with charges for everything up to hand luggage. US routes from KEF on FI are most definitely not 100% leisure.

Regards!
Sveinn :)

klm617

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 pm

Congrats to CLE good to see them get a link to Europe again and glad FI didn't chose another airport that already has an abundance of options as far as Europe goes like IAH, DFW or ATL

klm617

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

Jshank83 wrote:

FI actually have a lot of corporate contracts in places like MSP, DEN, SEA and BOS, especially to Scandinavia. They offer short connections (1hr~) to almost all the major European business gateways, meaning they can get you to LHR, CDG, FRA etc before noon with a departure after dinner stateside. While FI is probably more quasi-full-service than full service per se, it's a whole different animal to WOW which is unquestionably a LCC, and debatably ULCC with charges for everything up to hand luggage. US routes from KEF on FI are most definitely not 100% leisure.

Regards!
Sveinn :)

Hoping DTW is not to far behind in landing one of these Icelandic carriers.

stlgph

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:44 pm

ncflyer wrote:

Agreed. Icelandair is one of the best carriers out there. Not sure why it has this "big bad LCC" stigma to it.

MartijnNL

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 pm

stlgph wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
FI is a full service carrier. They have premium economy and business class. Not to be confused with WOW. (...)

Agreed. Icelandair is one of the best carriers out there. Not sure why it has this "big bad LCC" stigma to it.

Maybe because they no longer provide (hot) meals that are included in the ticket price?

My first trip with Icelandair (to New York) was in 1997, my last (to Halifax) in 2008. The first experience was somehow better than the last. Having to pay for food and drinks took away a lot of the full service experience. I had lunch at Keflavik Airport while waiting for the connecting flight to Canada, but I felt the airline was less special than before.

IceAir778

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

You know that FI has a big route map in EUR and transit time in KEF is maximum 2 hours. Very convenient for pax to stop in KEF rather in, for example, LHR.

uconn99

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 pm

In terms of J class product, Icelandair falls far short of a modern business class product, at least the hard product as I have no experience with their on board service.

Aer Lingus would have been a great choice, similar to the Hartford service with a 757 and real J class product. And DUB is a great connecting airport and has US pre-clearance as a bonus. However I don't believe Aer Lingus is in a position to grow NA operations until more planes are in their fleet.

ADrum23

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 pm

Good for CLE, but I don't think this stops them from pursuing a flight on a legacy carrier (BA, DL, AA, UA, etc) to one of the "big four" cities (LHR, CDG, FRA, AMS). How long is the connection time in KEF? I'm sure most business travels would rather connect in other of the bigger cities rather than in Iceland. Nonetheless, I guess something is better than nothing for CLE.

And I really think IND is next for TATL service, but I bet it will be on a full service legacy carrier.

kelvin933

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:02 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Good for CLE, but I don't think this stops them from pursuing a flight on a legacy carrier (BA, DL, AA, UA, etc) to one of the "big four" cities (LHR, CDG, FRA, AMS). How long is the connection time in KEF? I'm sure most business travels would rather connect in other of the bigger cities rather than in Iceland. Nonetheless, I guess something is better than nothing for CLE.

And I really think IND is next for TATL service, but I bet it will be on a full service legacy carrier.

Connection time in KEF 60-75 min

klm617

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:26 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

CLE is much better off with FI than one of the legacy carriers.

GSPSPOT

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 pm

I suppose MKE is too close to ORD to be a contender (the eternal-and real-lament)... :(

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 am

stlgph wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

No stigma attached, I think FI is a fine airline whether it is a LCC or not doesn't matter to me. WN is one of the best airlines in America and it is a "LCC" so the title LCC is not a determining factor as to whether it is a good airline or not.

IceAir778 wrote:
You know that FI has a big route map in EUR and transit time in KEF is maximum 2 hours. Very convenient for pax to stop in KEF rather in, for example, LHR.

FI connections don't do anything for most travelers in IND considering most of their connections can be made from a US hub(JFK,ORD,e.t.c), sure FI has an extensive Scandinavia route map, but not many IND pax are going to Scandinavia. Anyway, I have nothing against FI or its product, I just don't think it is an ideal fit for IND(yet).

klm617 wrote:

Why? Explain...

GSPSPOT wrote:
I suppose MKE is too close to ORD to be a contender (the eternal-and real-lament)... :(

Not necessarily, at the very latest Norwegian will more than likely add MKE with a A321LR

stlgph

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 am

Have you looked at Icelandair's route map? Not everyone in Cleveland is going to be packing up their bags for a weekend in Oslo.

OA412

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 am

Midwestindy wrote:
FI connections don't do anything for most travelers in IND considering most of their connections can be made from a US hub(JFK,ORD,e.t.c), sure FI has an extensive Scandinavia route map, but not many IND pax are going to Scandinavia. Anyway, I have nothing against FI or its product, I just don't think it is an ideal fit for IND(yet).

Not just Scandinavia. In DEN, they're not just the largest O/D airline between DEN and Scandinavia, but also the largest O/D airline from DEN to CDG, in spite of other options to get you one-stop to CDG.

ADrum23

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:59 am

klm617 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

How so?

hvusslax

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:06 am

Midwestindy wrote:

Most connections can be made elsewhere but it is hard to beat Icelandair on total travel time, even to the big European hubs. If your final European destination is within Schengen you also arrive on a intra-Schengen flight and walk straight out of the terminal. That's starting to matter more and more these days as tighter screening slows down passport control lines in Europe.

mjoelnir

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:37 am

stlgph wrote:
Have you looked at Icelandair's route map? Not everyone in Cleveland is going to be packing up their bags for a weekend in Oslo.

It seems that you have not looked at the Icelandair route map.

ABZ
AMS
ARN
BCN
BGO
BHD
BLL
BHX
BRU
CDG
CPH
FRA
GLA
GOT
GVA
HAM
HEL
LGW
LHR
MAD
MAN
MXP
MUC
ORY
OSL
SVG
TRD
ZRH

That are the European destinations, I have my doubts that any one stop connection through an USA hub offers this range of European destinations. The big European hubs will offer it, but you need quite a bit more time for the connection. And what big European hub does have a direct flight to CLE?

stratocruiser

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am

uconn99 wrote:
In terms of J class product, Icelandair falls far short of a modern business class product, at least the hard product as I have no experience with their on board service.

Aer Lingus would have been a great choice, similar to the Hartford service with a 757 and real J class product. And DUB is a great connecting airport and has US pre-clearance as a bonus. However I don't believe Aer Lingus is in a position to grow NA operations until more planes are in their fleet.

I too am surprised that Aer Lingus haven't considered CLE, as a large US metropolitan area with no existing European service whatsoever would seem like an ideal development opportunity. I doubt that acquiring one or more additional 757s would have been that difficult if they had wanted to start additional routes, however despite their NA growth in recent years, Aer Lingus still seem quite cautious in terms of expansion.

IceAir778

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:23 am

IceAir778 wrote:

Please be more precise!
FI does not only flies to Scandinavia. Please check their route map before you say anything. FI flies to CDG, ORY, LGW, LHR, BHX, GLA, MAN, ABZ, BHD, HAM, TXL (next summer!), AMS, BRU, FRA, MUC, ZRH, GVA etc. This is only destination on the mainland Europe. If I would be a person flying from IND or CLE to BHX I would pick FI for the trip rather than go to JFK and fly with AA or BA to LHR and then to BHX. Much more convenient plus very short time spend in KEF where I can buy some food or just move my legs.

klm617

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:38 am

ADrum23 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

How so?

Because FI is there to build the market not exploit it. They have more competitive pricing and are not going to reduce or end service to the market because the yields were not high enough. This is a customer based air line that want to serve each market well to a investor driven airline that just wants to come in and maximize and opportunity at all cost even if it means leaving the market . The only way FI leaves CLE is if there is no one flying them and I don't think that will happen. FI understands all levels of this business and doesn't not run a one sided operation that slants towards a corporate agenda they have more pride in their product than any of the US3 do or ever will

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos