Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

DL ending JFK-YQB October '17

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 am

At least it's been published on routesonline.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -oct-2017/

lesfalls

Re: DL ending JFK-YQB October '17

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am

Guess AC is beating them to it with a much better sched from LGA.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:41 am

lesfalls wrote:

Well not really. I just checked departure to New York from YQB for today and besides DL, I only found UA operating two afternoon flights to EWR with E145s.

lesfalls

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:09 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Well not really. I just checked departure to New York from YQB for today and besides DL, I only found UA operating two afternoon flights to EWR with E145s.

My apologies I remember now that AC ended that flight some time ago but thought it was still running since I saw it being advertised at LGA the last time I was there.

klm617

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:41 am

This route was much better served over Detroit don't know why they moved it to JFK.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:26 am

klm617 wrote:
This route was much better served over Detroit don't know why they moved it to JFK.

How come the JFK-YQB route could be better served from DTW?

Curiousflyer

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Does YQB justify a direct flight to the US? It is problematic with Canada because those one-hour flights often end up costing $400 or more due to a combination of lack of competition and high taxes. For that price one can fly to the West Coast or Europe. This discourages personal non-leisure as well as some business travel, and disqualifies leisure travel.

B4REAL

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if JFK-YHZ is next (at least the winter operations).

Dominion301

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:16 pm

B4REAL wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if JFK-YHZ is next (at least the winter operations).

Didn't DL just expand YHZ a bit with AA's pending pullout?

Hard to believe that DL is not keeping YQB for the summer peak.

Taxation, US consolidation, the current US political situation and the lack of turboprops at the US3 to replace the ever-shrinking supply of 50 seat jets has had a devastating impact on transborder services at all Canadian airports not called YYZ, YUL, YVR or YYC.

klm617

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Because DTW is a major Delta hub with a ton more connections than JFK could offer.

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:57 pm

klm617 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Because DTW is a major Delta hub with a ton more connections than JFK could offer.

That assumes prospective YQB travelers want to go to destinations not served by DL from JFK, nor to NYC itself. What would those destinations be, in what pdews?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:14 am

DL did fly DTW-YQB up until late-2012 then moved the service to JFK. As for now, it looks like they are completely pulling out of YQB as its not in the schedule for Summer 2018 at this point.

Mir

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:23 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:

That assumes prospective YQB travelers want to go to destinations not served by DL from JFK, nor to NYC itself. What would those destinations be, in what pdews?

Even if you wanted to go YQB-LAX, for instance, going via DTW is much better than JFK due to fewer delays and thus fewer chances for missed connections. Unless you're going somewhere served from JFK but not DTW (a very short list) or to NYC, DTW makes more sense.

NYCVIE

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 am

Mir wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Even if you wanted to go YQB-LAX, for instance, going via DTW is much better than JFK due to fewer delays and thus fewer chances for missed connections. Unless you're going somewhere served from JFK but not DTW (a very short list) or to NYC, DTW makes more sense.

I think the target for this flight was local and not connecting traffic. Even if this flight were still served from DTW, DL would find it VERY hard competing against AC and WS for the limited market that is YQB-US.

Dominion301

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:52 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
Mir wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I think the target for this flight was local and not connecting traffic. Even if this flight were still served from DTW, DL would find it VERY hard competing against AC and WS for the limited market that is YQB-US.

Up until a couple of years ago, YQB-transborder traffic was booming +10% growth for several consecutive years. It's how they were able to finally receive their ok to add US preclearance, which likely starts next year. Ironically, since preclearance was announced, that's when the airlines cut back on transborder at YQB...and at least a dozen other cities in Canada.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos