Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Breathe
Topic Author

Edinburgh Airport investment plan Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:42 pm

https://www.edinburghairport.com/about- ... -releases/£80-million-investment-plan-for-edinburgh-airport

Building a new extension to Edinburgh Airport’s terminal building is the start of an £80 million investment plan to help the airport handle forecasted record number of passengers.

Work has started on the three-story extension which will stretch out from the existing gate 12 area, covering the old east end service yard out to the Gogar Burn.

The expansion is part of the airport’s £220m+ capital investment programme to support growth and maintain operational standards over the next five years.

The expansion is due to be completed by summer 2018 and will see the South East Pier extended to create new boarding gates and seating areas between gates 13 and 14.

Designed to support forecasted growth of up to 16.5million passengers in 2021 and beyond, it will provide:

• Extended immigration, customs and international reclaim facilities
    • A new home for our domestic reclaim hall, enabling the expansion of our baggage hall into the current domestic reclaim area
    • New retail opportunities, food and beverage options, toilets, lettable property and office space, VIP lounges, and retail storage
    • 6 new gates, gate seating areas and connectivity via a series of fixed links, stair nodes and air bridges to the new stands

Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

greg85

Re: £80 million investment plan for Edinburgh Airport

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Another small step to allow even more aircraft to operate into an airport that doesn't have the infrastructure to handle them. Peak times at EDI are now a juggling act of parking aircraft on all of the taxi ways until a stand becomes available.

LTCM

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Edinburgh is such a great city. Glad to see them progressing towards the future.

Even during the Fringe/Tattoo/International festivals, I didn't think the airport was that overworked. Didn't seem any worst than ATL on a Friday evening, which occurs 52 times a year.

hibtastic

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:21 pm

greg85 wrote:
Another small step to allow even more aircraft to operate into an airport that doesn't have the infrastructure to handle them. Peak times at EDI are now a juggling act of parking aircraft on all of the taxi ways until a stand becomes available.

They are investing in the infrastructure to handle the extra passengers. The new stands are already in place and there are plans for significantly more when the second runway closes. This new extension should significantly improve the arrivals process.

We would be complaining if they weren't investing but they are so all good.

HHScot

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 pm

greg85 wrote:

That's the reason for the investment.

I wonder if the expansion will bring a new arrivals process. I've never experienced any issues with security at EDI but the passport control on arrival can be a major pain.

hibtastic

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 pm

HHScot wrote:
greg85 wrote:

That's the reason for the investment.

I wonder if the expansion will bring a new arrivals process. I've never experienced any issues with security at EDI but the passport control on arrival can be a major pain.

Yes it's expected to improve arrivals immensely as there will be enhanced immigration and baggage reclaim.

Should hopefully also allow an easier transfer between flights.

redroo

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Would it not be better long term to enclose the Stream/River and build over it ?

jsnww81

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 pm

What do you know, another tacked-on piecemeal extension at a British airport.

The language about new gate areas and baggage claim is nice, but the only part of that press release anyone should pay any attention to is the part about "new retail opportunities" - mark my words, that's where the lion's share of the attention will be focused.

redroo

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:53 pm

jsnww81 wrote:

The language about new gate areas and baggage claim is nice, but the only part of that press release anyone should pay any attention to is the part about "new retail opportunities" - mark my words, that's where the lion's share of the attention will be focused.

LOL. You said what I was thinking!

Turnhouse1

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Indeed, what they really need to do is extend the departure lounge over the 'tent' to the right of the red bit on that render, to create more waiting space to replace that lost to a coffee shop and play area over the last few years. The additional gates for larger planes are a welcome addition.

hibtastic

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:04 pm

The extension will have 3 floors so I'd expect retail to cover one of those floors but the new gates and the enhanced facilities for arrivals are very welcome and exactly what is needed.

The new stands - code E and F I think are already in place.

Breathe
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:07 pm

redroo wrote:
Would it not be better long term to enclose the Stream/River and build over it ?

Maybe its more hassle than its worth?

Breathe
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Turnhouse1 wrote:
Indeed, what they really need to do is extend the departure lounge over the 'tent' to the right of the red bit on that render, to create more waiting space to replace that lost to a coffee shop and play area over the last few years. The additional gates for larger planes are a welcome addition.

The 'tent' or the 'farm shed' as I call it, is embarrassing!

Breathe
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:11 pm

jsnww81 wrote:

I hope you're wrong, but given the trend of what's been built over the last few years, its perfectly understandable why people are cynical with new developments at UK airports.

jsnww81

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Breathe wrote:
jsnww81 wrote:

I hope you're wrong, but given the trend of what's been built over the last few years, its perfectly understandable why people are cynical with new developments at UK airports.

Agree - it's not my intention to be cynical or hateful toward British airports, but they are, without exception, heinous places. Seating and circulation space are nonexistent, every terminal feels like a bazaar where you're forced through shopping areas, and even the mid-level airports are a jumbled mess of haphazard extensions that look like tin sheds or warehouses. Even the much-vaunted T2 and T5 at LHR, which are architecturally fine structures, have been mucked up by terrible passenger flow and far too much space given over to retail. There's no reason to believe this work at EDI will be any different.

It's an embarrassment for such an otherwise lovely country.

redroo

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Very true. Southampton used to be a lovely airport many years ago until they filled it with shops. Newcastle is full of shops. Heathrow is a shopping mall with runways attached.

Some Aussie airports are bad too. The new Perth international arrivals forces you to weave through shelves of duty free to get to immigration. Sydney is the same (but at least it has an escape route). Thankfully Sydney domestic (qantas) has plenty of seats and space to move, not so the other terminal.

I just want a nice straight line from front door to gate, with lots of natural light, and the option of stopping somewhere to get a coffee or buy a book.

Vasu

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:56 am

Agreed with the previous posts - it would be great if this extension was actually useful to EDI (and to be fair it still could be)... but the cynic in me sees the retail space as their true aim. British airports are far too focused on their retail space rather the actual user-friendly passenger enhancements. I do hope I'm wrong here!

hibtastic

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:16 am

I'm a bit more optimistic. Yes the extension will include retail space and hopefully some new food and drink venues as EDIs offering isn't all that extensive at the moment.

For some time EDI has been struggling to cope with the surge in passenger numbers it has experienced. The arrivals process is criticised regularly as not being up to scratch. The extension should change this.

The airport has also be struggling to accommodate wide body aircraft with direct links from the gate to immigration; the extension will change that as there are now 3 new Stands al code E or above which the proposed works will directly link to immigration.

So while I agree that we are likely to see more retail, the extension will be useful to the airport and vital to its master plan which also includes extension of the existing pier and a new pier added to provide at least 15-20 more stands, many of which will be connected to directly to the terminal.

by738

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:04 am

Any more on rumours of EDI being put up for sale?

hibtastic

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:08 am

by738 wrote:
Any more on rumours of EDI being put up for sale?

Not that I've seen.

Cunard

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am

[quote="redroo"]Very true. Southampton used to be a lovely airport many years ago until they filled it with shops. Newcastle is full of shops. Heathrow is a shopping mall with runways attached/quote]

Southampton Airport terminal opened in 1991 with a WH Smith before departures and a World Duty Free in the departures lounge?

Moving forward to 2017 the terminal at Southampton has a WH Smith before departures as well as an outlet in the departures lounge along with the World Duty Free so where may I ask are the 'filled with shops'.

I would call your statement totally exaggerated, what Southampton Airport does lack is shops.

lhrnue

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:14 am

With the exception of LHR T2, T5 and STN every other Terminal building in UK is an embarrassment.

redroo

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:38 pm

I seem to recall SOU being all one level, having places to sit in departures and having a small duty free shop. Last time I went through (10 years ago) it had no where to sit, was all duty free, had an upstairs and was not a pleasant experience for a regional airport.

But hey it was a long long time ago.

Still miles better than Port Hedland :-)

GCT64

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:26 pm

lhrnue wrote:
With the exception of LHR T2, T5 and STN every other Terminal building in UK is an embarrassment.

I think you are being generous, as I wouldn't include STN or LHR T5. LHR T2 is, in my opinion, the only really good terminal in the UK.

Back to EDI, through which I regularly commute, I'm afraid I'm with the cynics who say that this is just an opportunity to add more retail space. The worst aspect is being forced to meander through the duty free shop between security and the gates - I have brushed into quite a few people in there, and actually properly bashed into a couple - it's dangerous and stupid as well as unpleasant.

Kiwirob

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:19 pm

hibtastic wrote:

They are investing in the infrastructure to handle the extra passengers. The new stands are already in place and there are plans for significantly more when the second runway closes. This new extension should significantly improve the arrivals process.

Until you mentioned the second runway I never reaslised they had two.

JannEejit

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:54 pm

If the rumours of EDI's rapid expansion in passengers being down to cut price deals being offered to airlines are true, then I'd assume they'll be bigging up any sort of secondary income streams like retail as much as possible. Were they also one of the first to implement the now common drop off charge for arriving passengers ?

FromCDGtoSYD

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:50 pm

GCT64 wrote:
Back to EDI, through which I regularly commute, I'm afraid I'm with the cynics who say that this is just an opportunity to add more retail space. The worst aspect is being forced to meander through the duty free shop between security and the gates - I have brushed into quite a few people in there, and actually properly bashed into a couple - it's dangerous and stupid as well as unpleasant.

Couldn't agree more, going through that gauntlet is terrible, plus the kids running around the candy and toys when you turn... Nothing good there.

A greatly expanded immigration hall would also be great. Non EU passport holders have such a long line... I fear the consequences of brexit on these lines...

sandyb123

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Moving away from the shopping Centre speculation, does anybody else note the 777-300ER in the render. Unless this is a mistake by the graphic illustrator, I'm going to say that as soon as this is open we should expect an announcement from EK ;-)

Ssndyb123

skipness1E

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:34 pm

Jsnww81 is right, another tacked on piecemeal addition keeps things going a little longer. The terminal no longer has any logical flownor rational sense, just like GLA. They've taken a decent piece of publically funded infrastructure and expanded them out of all recognition. They're just shopping malls with only the SE pier having any semblance of peace and quiet.

And yet that's the price of the huge pivot towards the leisure boom. No longer are airports built to get business travellers from A to B with the minimum of hassle, they're now built to extract the maximum from Ma, Pa and the Bairns before they pop off for more rays in countries which actually see the sun. Changed days and we must accept that. T2 and T5 at LHR are different, they're doing what they were designed for, EDI today, not so much. Btw how does the cross runway closing impact terminal parking? Is it more remotes I guess?

The days of Emirates and expanding to all points may be behind them. The Scottish market is limited for long haul, even for the ME3. Qatar and Etihad are struggling to find room for both and Emirates would undoubtedly be cannibalising GLA if they launched EDI. Mind you I said that about Continental....perhaps they might move one GLA flight to EDI rather than throw more capacity into the Scottish market?

Breathe
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:53 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
Moving away from the shopping Centre speculation, does anybody else note the 777-300ER in the render. Unless this is a mistake by the graphic illustrator, I'm going to say that as soon as this is open we should expect an announcement from EK ;-)

Ssndyb123

You should have seen the earlier visuals. :D

sandyb123

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:53 pm

The days of Emirates and expanding to all points may be behind them. The Scottish market is limited for long haul, even for the ME3. Qatar and Etihad are struggling to find room for both and Emirates would undoubtedly be cannibalising GLA if they launched EDI. Mind you I said that about Continental....perhaps they might move one GLA flight to EDI rather than throw more capacity into the Scottish market?

I think the challenge for EK in Scotland is the population. As their smallest aircraft for now the 777 they can fill that at Glasgow twice daily, but Edinburgh is potentially higher risk as although it is a more lucrative market, there is less of it and EK relies on volume to fill those big planes.

Also, would the 777 be significantly weight restricted out of EDI given the fairly short length (100 meters shorter than GLA which I believe is already weight restricted for the 300ER at MTOW)?

EK have also invested in a lounge at GLA and their chauffeur drive is a big incentive for J & F as it covers Edinburgh in its reach. I am actually looking to fly to the UAE in October and am tempted by Etihad as EDI is my local airport, but they are not the cheapest, lounge is poor and they've just cut the chauffeur drive at all remote airports. I'm EK gold (actually I think I've been demoted to silver as I fly less these days!!) so it's 'the wrong way' over to GLA with the chauffeur, nicer lounge, F suites when miles / allowance allows and IMO a better service on EK, or taxi to EDI shopping Centre and onto the ET A330 to Abu Dhabi?? i think EK still gets my vote. '

Maybe when the 787/350 order starts to arrive this will change but this is a good few years off happening if it happens at all?

Sandyb123

Breathe
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
hibtastic wrote:

Until you mentioned the second runway I never reaslised they had two.

Yes. Like Gatwick though, they can't use them concurrently.

The Airport has given draft details about their plans to redevelop the 2nd runway:

Edinburgh airport unveils plan for major new home and business complex

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ ... -1-4499259

Edinburgh Airport is to sacrifice its secondary runway to build a massive business and housing complex.

It has unveiled plans for a site that could stretch to more than 100 acres which is claimed would be one of the best-connected developments in Scotland.

Offices, homes and industrial buildings would stretch from south-east of the passenger terminal to nearly as far as the Gogar roundabout.

The airport said it was too early to say how much the development would cost.

It said a planned new terminal access road – which it would fund – would be the catalyst for the plans to take off.

Chief executive Gordon Dewar said an adjacent development area south of the airport which had sought to attract major companies had failed to get off the ground because of the lack of such key infrastructure.

He agreed the airport’s plans would provide “a degree of competition” with the proposed International Business Gateway scheme, where he said “nothing has happened” for years.

Mr Dewar said there had been early discussions with the city council over its own proposals, and hoped construction would start next year, if planning permission was granted.

The site will occupy much of the crosswind runway, which the airport said was rarely used. It runs south-east to north-west and cannot be used at the same time as the adjacent main south-west to north-east runway.

However, the crosswind runway is used during runway maintenance and resurfacing. Mr Dewar admitted: “It will make it harder to avoid disruption, but we believe we have solutions that will address it.”

Land for a planned second runway, which is expected to be needed around 2050, has already been reserved to the north of and parallel with the main runway.

Former airport chief commercial officer John Watson will spearhead the building scheme as chief executive of newly-formed offshoot Crosswind Developments.

Mr Dewar said details of the 86-acre plan, which could be extended to 111 acres, were still being devised. He expected it to include “high-end” offices at the southern end of the site, with light industrial units and warehouses at the north end, such as for use by companies flying goods in and out.

He said a “relatively modest” amount of housing would be included to complement a major residential development just to the east of the site, around Turnhouse Road.

Mr Dewar said the scheme’s green credentials would be “way above” planning standards and that traffic growth generated by the development would be minimised by the use of the nearby Edinburgh Gateway Station, the tram-train interchange which opened in December with direct links to Fife and the north as well as the city centre.

Also, there is a planned proposal on the West Edinburgh Transport Appraisal (WETA) report:

Breathe
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:02 pm

jsnww81 wrote:
Breathe wrote:
jsnww81 wrote:

Agree - it's not my intention to be cynical or hateful toward British airports, but they are, without exception, heinous places. Seating and circulation space are nonexistent, every terminal feels like a bazaar where you're forced through shopping areas, and even the mid-level airports are a jumbled mess of haphazard extensions that look like tin sheds or warehouses. Even the much-vaunted T2 and T5 at LHR, which are architecturally fine structures, have been mucked up by terrible passenger flow and far too much space given over to retail. There's no reason to believe this work at EDI will be any different.

It's an embarrassment for such an otherwise lovely country.

Here are the initial plans for the first floor:

https://www.moodiedavittreport.com/fash ... ty-status/

Edinburgh Airport is currently tendering six new F&B outlets, with up to nine retail stores to follow by mid-year. These opportunities form an integral component of a new retail and catering area in a £19 million (US$23.7 million) pier extension. F&B alone will grow by +56% thanks to this extra space.

Breathe
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:06 pm

sandyb123 wrote:

I think the challenge for EK in Scotland is the population. As their smallest aircraft for now the 777 they can fill that at Glasgow twice daily, but Edinburgh is potentially higher risk as although it is a more lucrative market, there is less of it and EK relies on volume to fill those big planes.

Also, would the 777 be significantly weight restricted out of EDI given the fairly short length (100 meters shorter than GLA which I believe is already weight restricted for the 300ER at MTOW)?

EK have also invested in a lounge at GLA and their chauffeur drive is a big incentive for J & F as it covers Edinburgh in its reach. I am actually looking to fly to the UAE in October and am tempted by Etihad as EDI is my local airport, but they are not the cheapest, lounge is poor and they've just cut the chauffeur drive at all remote airports. I'm EK gold (actually I think I've been demoted to silver as I fly less these days!!) so it's 'the wrong way' over to GLA with the chauffeur, nicer lounge, F suites when miles / allowance allows and IMO a better service on EK, or taxi to EDI shopping Centre and onto the ET A330 to Abu Dhabi?? i think EK still gets my vote. '

Maybe when the 787/350 order starts to arrive this will change but this is a good few years off happening if it happens at all?

Sandyb123

Ireland has a smaller population yet has all manner of airlines flying into DUB. The CEO of EDI likes to say when questioned about the size of the market, he's interested in bringing in the potential billions of people into Scotland as well as serving the local population.

Breathe
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:13 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Jsnww81 is right, another tacked on piecemeal addition keeps things going a little longer. The terminal no longer has any logical flownor rational sense, just like GLA. They've taken a decent piece of publically funded infrastructure and expanded them out of all recognition. They're just shopping malls with only the SE pier having any semblance of peace and quiet.

And yet that's the price of the huge pivot towards the leisure boom. No longer are airports built to get business travellers from A to B with the minimum of hassle, they're now built to extract the maximum from Ma, Pa and the Bairns before they pop off for more rays in countries which actually see the sun. Changed days and we must accept that. T2 and T5 at LHR are different, they're doing what they were designed for, EDI today, not so much. Btw how does the cross runway closing impact terminal parking? Is it more remotes I guess?

I think owners GIP are trying to build up EDI like a mini Gatwick (which they happen to also be majority shareholders of).

I guess people of a certain generation won't remember they days when it was just a small regional airport with a few destinations as 20-25 years ago. As you allude to, maybe you can't have things both ways.

Breathe
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 pm

JannEejit wrote:
If the rumours of EDI's rapid expansion in passengers being down to cut price deals being offered to airlines are true, then I'd assume they'll be bigging up any sort of secondary income streams like retail as much as possible. Were they also one of the first to implement the now common drop off charge for arriving passengers ?

They were the "pioneers" of it in the UK!

Ph1l1p

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:27 pm

I wouldn't say that Newcastle is full of shops, its mainly full of bars! The majority of the space given over in the departure lounge refurbishment was to bars and restaurants and the new duty free store. The newest eating establishment to open is a kebab shop! It's like having a night out with some drinks and then a dirty kebab before you get on your flight.

hibtastic

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:53 pm

I am pleased to see that F&B options will increase. There isn't a huge amount of choice in that regard at the moment.

As far as the second runway closure goes, a fair amount of that space will be taken up by the Crosswind development however, the current long stay car park will move into this area and become a multi-storey car park which would provide more space for a southerly pier with more contact stands. The existing south-east pier will be expanded and extended as well to provide further contact stands. I would therefore expect domestic flights to be focused around at the cut-de-sac and the western end of the terminal. They may even get rid of immigration 1 to provide more space for check-in.

I am sure there will be enough extra space for further expansion in the future - the masterplan does talk about satellite gate areas.

skipness1E

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:19 pm

Oi Mr Breathe. Am well aware of what EDI used to look like, it used to be a perfect little airport IMHO as it was fit for the purpose it was being used for. Privatised airports really are going in a whole new direction now, less and less to do with getting me from A to B as seamlessly as possible and more, and who would have thought that was possible, chances to flog me overpriced tat.
As for Dublin, well the Scottish market is split GLA/EDI in a way the Irish one isn't. SNN would be a busy PIK and ORK might be an ABZ. DUB dominates so the analogy isn't great. If the CEO is talking about bringing in "billions of people" the masterplan may need tweaked just a tad.....

As for Emirates and the runway restriction at MTOW, how many sizzling hot peak summer days with a full cargo load are we talking about? Not many really.

flyingphil

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:05 am

As a regular user of Edinburgh airport over the last ten years or so I have seen it become more crowded as endless building works have tacked bits on.

The main runway is also relatively short, although I doubt there is room to extend it. They will need a longer runway if they are after more long haul destinations and to compete with Glasgow. . and more gates for the larger planes..

Although the City has a relatively small population it is fairly close to Glasgow and the central belt and it is a major tourist destination.

I don't remember seeing the crosswind runway being used, it is too short to be much use.. also there are normally planes parked on it.

The new gates will mean even further to walk to the gate... it is quite a trek to the remoter gates already..

The tram to the City Centre is an improvement.. but why they didn't just use the railway lines that are either end of the runway to build a fast train link to Waverley is beyond me! Yes I know that they are linking up the tram to a new railway station but that is not much help..

Sorry to sound negative but I find it is now quicker to take the train from London to Edinburgh.. the fast train is 4 hours 20 minutes without all the hassle..

needmolegroom

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:14 am

Yes the present setup is all about extracting money for being dropped off (and for anything else they can think of). Then as everyone has mentioned there's the struggle of getting through the shopping hordes on the serpentine journey to Departure.
Agree that things were more relaxing at the old Turnhouse terminal when the only concern was how wet you'd get leaving the wee terminal to climb the stairs onto the Vanguard for Heathrow. Happy days, the fares were fantastic then too.

JannEejit

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:19 am

sandyb123 wrote:

Ssndyb123

Wishful thinking on the part of the graphic designer I'd say, plus the fact Emirates don't operate all white aircraft... :lol:

It remains to be seen just how far the EDI bandwagon will roll, it all seems a bit too rapid to me and one can't help feel there's a bubble about to burst around the same time Brexit starts to come into play for real. I was working on a job in Edinburgh through the week there and couldn't help but observe just how overcrowded the entire city has become, even if it is festival time, it's absolutely mobbed. I could see three massive cruise liners attempting to dock in Leith from my castle view point and sure enough within an hour or so the esplanade was so full you could barely move. Maybe it's not just the airport that needs expansion...

jsnww81

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:58 am

Breathe wrote:

And there you have it - the detailed floorplan for this extension, showing nothing but retail additions and lots of flowery language about how much more space will be available for concessions. See any public seating areas in that diagram? Nope.

The rest of Europe seems able to balance revenue-generating retail areas with the need for circulation space and places for folks to sit down. Sometimes they even manage to include some memorable architecture. The UK can't manage anything except windowless tin sheds full of shops and crowded, non-intuitive pathways from point A to point B.

bennett123

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:10 am

Will this affect the scope for spotting.

hibtastic

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 am

jsnww81 wrote:
Breathe wrote:

And there you have it - the detailed floorplan for this extension, showing nothing but retail additions and lots of flowery language about how much more space will be available for concessions. See any public seating areas in that diagram? Nope.

The rest of Europe seems able to balance revenue-generating retail areas with the need for circulation space and places for folks to sit down. Sometimes they even manage to include some memorable architecture. The UK can't manage anything except windowless tin sheds full of shops and crowded, non-intuitive pathways from point A to point B.

The extension has three storeys and I believe only one of those will be dedicated to retail. The press release talks of more seating at gates.

ro1960

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:36 am

I must agree with some posts here. Airports make now a lot of money from retail and it is their priority, not passengers' flow and comfort while departing or arriving. They even say it themselves in their communication: "We're expending, more retail!" as if this is what passengers expect.

A couple of years ago I transited through LHR T5 on my way to EDI. It felt like a suburban shopping center to me, not an airport. I'm not a shopper, I'm happy with just a drink and a sandwich if I have time, but I know that lots of people live to shop. No wonder airports managements favour retail space. I have no problem with that as long as it doesn't impair the primary function of an airport. Unfortunately it's not the case.

And this trend is everywhere. I'm a frequent user of ORY and NCE. The retail spaces have increased dramatically and create bottlenecks while reducing waiting areas and sitting. NCE even has tons of "luxury" shops where there is hardly ever a customer !

As for future EDI expansion, it looks very limited. Maybe it's time to plan a common airport for both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Topic largely discussed here:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1371113

Breathe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Oi Mr Breathe. Am well aware of what EDI used to look like, it used to be a perfect little airport IMHO as it was fit for the purpose it was being used for.

Thanks for assuming my gender. That comment was a general statement and not aimed at you personally.

skipness1E wrote:
Privatised airports really are going in a whole new direction now, less and less to do with getting me from A to B as seamlessly as possible and more, and who would have thought that was possible, chances to flog me overpriced tat.

Agreed. The same can be said for state-owned airports as well.

skipness1E wrote:
As for Dublin, well the Scottish market is split GLA/EDI in a way the Irish one isn't. SNN would be a busy PIK and ORK might be an ABZ. DUB dominates so the analogy isn't great. If the CEO is talking about bringing in "billions of people" the masterplan may need tweaked just a tad.....

My point was the island as a whole (including Northern Ireland), although I get what you are saying. I think the point the CEO/management was making, is that the airport is now more geared towards bringing people into Edinburgh/Scotland rather than just primarily serving the local population.

Breathe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Ph1l1p wrote:
I wouldn't say that Newcastle is full of shops, its mainly full of bars! The majority of the space given over in the departure lounge refurbishment was to bars and restaurants and the new duty free store. The newest eating establishment to open is a kebab shop! It's like having a night out with some drinks and then a dirty kebab before you get on your flight.

WOW! It sounds the Bigg Market in the air! :lol:

hibtastic

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm

ro1960 wrote:
As for future EDI expansion, it looks very limited. Maybe it's time to plan a common airport for both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Topic largely discussed here:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1371113

This extension is a piece in the jigsaw. If you look at the masterplan published in 2016 you will see how their plans look going forward although I suspect we will never see a second runway.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/edin ... 112016.pdf

PS sorry about the quality

Breathe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

flyingphil wrote:
As a regular user of Edinburgh airport over the last ten years or so I have seen it become more crowded as endless building works have tacked bits on.

The main runway is also relatively short, although I doubt there is room to extend it. They will need a longer runway if they are after more long haul destinations and to compete with Glasgow. . and more gates for the larger planes..

Although the City has a relatively small population it is fairly close to Glasgow and the central belt and it is a major tourist destination.

I don't remember seeing the crosswind runway being used, it is too short to be much use.. also there are normally planes parked on it.

The new gates will mean even further to walk to the gate... it is quite a trek to the remoter gates already..

The tram to the City Centre is an improvement.. but why they didn't just use the railway lines that are either end of the runway to build a fast train link to Waverley is beyond me! Yes I know that they are linking up the tram to a new railway station but that is not much help..

Sorry to sound negative but I find it is now quicker to take the train from London to Edinburgh.. the fast train is 4 hours 20 minutes without all the hassle..

There was a planned Edinburgh Airport Rail Link - EARL project, which was scrapped on the grounds of cost when there was a change of administration after the Scottish Parliament elections in 2007. The Edinburgh Gateway station and tram interchange was built as a cheaper way to compensate for the cancellation of EARL.

Funny you mention taking the train to Edinburgh. This was literally published a few hours ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40998997

The Transform Scotland report coincided with Virgin Trains revealing that the percentage of people travelling by train to London had reached its highest level for more than 20 years.

Virgin - which is a member of Transform Scotland - said it had recorded an 18% year-on-year growth in passengers travelling between Glasgow and Edinburgh and London in June.

David Horne of Virgin Trains said: "When we took over the east coast route, we set out ambitious plans to gain a 50% market share between Edinburgh and London by 2023.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos