Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

berari
Topic Author

Ethiopian going nonstop to Sao Paulo again

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Ethiopian Airlines is going to serve Sao Paulo nonstop from Addis Ababa once again. It had reverted back to flying to GRU via Lome when Brazil's economy took a hit. Looks like things are getting better, and the current frequency of 4x per week will be increased to 5x per week all non stop in December.

https://twitter.com/flyethiopian/status ... 9328326657

lesfalls

Re: Ethiopian going nonstop to Sao Paulo again

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Good to hear. How long will the flight be in total? I wonder where the connecting traffic on this flight will be aimed at.

berari
Topic Author

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:57 pm

12:45 Westbound
12:25 Eastbound

Connecting traffic to Asia and Middle East.

Looking at loads for week of September 25, Y is fully booked westbound all week, while eastbound also looks heavy.

MalevTU134

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:15 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Good to hear. How long will the flight be in total? I wonder where the connecting traffic on this flight will be aimed at.

ET is the biggest carrier Brazil-Asia (beyond Middle East, LFW stop notwithstanding.

bsbisland

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:38 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

ET is the biggest carrier Brazil-Asia (beyond Middle East, LFW stop notwithstanding.

Is there a source for this? For example, EK flies daily to both GRU and GIG on bigger planes and carry less people on to Asia than ET?

VX321

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 pm

bsbisland wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Is there a source for this? For example, EK flies daily to both GRU and GIG on bigger planes and carry less people on to Asia than ET?

I think they're trying to say except for the ME3, it's the biggest. Congrats to ET for this development! (The airline not the alien ;) )
I'd love to fly that route!

MalevTU134

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 pm

VX321 wrote:
bsbisland wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

I think they're trying to say except for the ME3, it's the biggest. Congrats to ET for this development! (The airline not the alien ;) )

No, that includes the ME2 (EY no longer flies to Brazil), due to the heavily discounted fares ET offers in Brazil to the Far East. They have actively gone after the sizeable Brazil-Asia market. Nearly 2 million people of Japanese descent alone live in Brazil, most around São Paulo.

behramjee

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:12 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
VX321 wrote:
bsbisland wrote:

No, that includes the ME2 (EY no longer flies to Brazil), due to the heavily discounted fares ET offers in Brazil to the Far East. They have actively gone after the sizeable Brazil-Asia market. Nearly 2 million people of Japanese descent alone live in Brazil, most around São Paulo.

Correct but ET does not make a big dent on Brazil-Japan as it only flies 3 weekly ADD-HKG-NRT ! They have a better chance with GRU-China/India/Saudia/NBO.

Btw they have a dominant market share on LOS-GRU via LFW.

berari
Topic Author

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm

behramjee wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
VX321 wrote:

Correct but ET does not make a big dent on Brazil-Japan as it only flies 3 weekly ADD-HKG-NRT ! They have a better chance with GRU-China/India/Saudia/NBO.

Btw they have a dominant market share on LOS-GRU via LFW.

Yes, better chance on China with PEK, CTU, CAN, HKG and PVG and other nonstops to Asia like SIN, BKK, BOM, DEL.

A LOS-GRU market would be less served now with LFW being dropped on the GRU run.

dcajet

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Back in February of this year, ET asked and received the OK from the Government of Argentina authority for flights between the two countries.

http://www.dailyweb.com.ar/noticias/val ... ntina.html

While nothing has been announced as to the when, wondering if this change in the GRU ops may be the prelude to an extension of the GRU service to EZE, such as the one TK does on a daily basis, with huge success - with 5th freedom between GRU/EZE/GRU.

cedarjet

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:39 am

There are maybe 5 million people of Lebanese origin in Brazil (more than the population of Lebanon itself) and Gulf carriers offer a rather indirect routing flying an extra 1,000 miles (Sao Paolo to Beirut via Addis is 7,894 mi, via Dubai is 8,924 mi) so expect lots of transit traffic between Brazil and Lebanon. To make the point about traffic volumes, in the nineties MEA flew 747-200s scheduled via Dakar to Sao Paolo. I don't think they made money but the traffic exists.

IrishAyes

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:29 am

How is ET able to fly nonstop to GRU given the altitude of ADD?

seabosdca

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:46 am

What is the equipment? 359?

gatibosgru

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 am

seabosdca wrote:
What is the equipment? 359?

behramjee

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm

cedarjet wrote:
There are maybe 5 million people of Lebanese origin in Brazil (more than the population of Lebanon itself) and Gulf carriers offer a rather indirect routing flying an extra 1,000 miles (Sao Paolo to Beirut via Addis is 7,894 mi, via Dubai is 8,924 mi) so expect lots of transit traffic between Brazil and Lebanon. To make the point about traffic volumes, in the nineties MEA flew 747-200s scheduled via Dakar to Sao Paolo. I don't think they made money but the traffic exists.

yes ET connects GRU via ADD to BEY in both directions very conveniently with only a 90 minute transit so they can tap into this market segment as well.

airbazar

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

I doubt that very, very much considering they only serve 1 city in Brazil and only 4x weekly. I would be shocked if EK with a daily A380 to GRU and a daily 77W to GIG is not bigger than ET with its measly 788 4x weekly to GRU. They still could be one of the biggest because a lot of the Brazil-Asia traffic still travels via the U.S. and is very fragmented over multiple airlines: LATAM/AA/JL/CX/DL/KE/etc.

grjplanes

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Consider though that there is probably a bigger O&D market between Brazil and UAE than what there is between Brazil and Ethiopia...so while there is a big margin of people getting off in DXB, there is probably not so many getting off in ADD, and thus continuing onwards.

Is there perhaps also still a big market going via JNB...on SAA and perhaps now with LATAM/Cathay?

evanb

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:01 pm

grjplanes wrote:
Consider though that there is probably a bigger O&D market between Brazil and UAE than what there is between Brazil and Ethiopia...so while there is a big margin of people getting off in DXB, there is probably not so many getting off in ADD, and thus continuing onwards.

Is there perhaps also still a big market going via JNB...on SAA and perhaps now with LATAM/Cathay?

LATAM don't codeshare with either SAA or Cathay on JNB-HKG (even though they do have a bilateral codeshare with SAA on the GRU-JNB sector with domestic and regional connections on both ends).

Challenge for SAA is that they only service one non-stop destination in Asia on their own metal (HKG) and two through codeshare (SIN and PEK). They have also removed the second GRU flight which had better connections for HKG. EK and ET's advantages are the number of destination they offer and the lack of this variety will narrow SAA's options as a player between Latin American and Asia.

dredgy

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Goddamit, I wanted to try them out next year on the LFW to ADD flight!

grjplanes

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:06 pm

dredgy wrote:

I'm sure there will still be a LFW-ADD flight as well...still use LFW as stop on ADD-LFW-EWR

dredgy

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:58 pm

grjplanes wrote:
dredgy wrote:

I'm sure there will still be a LFW-ADD flight as well...still use LFW as stop on ADD-LFW-EWR

Oh good to know. Cheers.

OA940

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Great for Brasil! Let's hope they see the A350 as well.

c933103

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:05 pm

I believe, other than ME3, most Asian population going to Latin America would connect via Europe or North America, and possibly a few via Oceania

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 pm

I think Qatar /QR have managed to get a great amount of brazilian passengers going to Asia/Japan.
Last month I did DOH-HND and NRT-DOH. There was a lot of brazilians on these flights. Plus the ability to do a stopover in Doha and with the recent visa free policy I think they will get even more pax if the price is right. Dekasseguis are usually very price sensitive.

I think ET usually have some of the cheapest fares to Asia from Brazil.

If I am not mistaken, JJ have a codeshare agreement with Japan Airlines on the GRU-JFK-TYO.

NichCage

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 pm

At least this is some good news for GRU, which has lost quite a lot of air service quite a while back.

What was the purpose of the Lome stopover? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but if they no one boards in Lome, going to GRU or back to ADD what is the purpose?

dcajet

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 pm

IrishAyes wrote:

Well, they fly to IAD nonstop from ADD, and YYZ too, (not sure 100% off the top of my head about the latter) so GRU can't be that different.

cedarjet wrote:

ADD is also an excellent option for connections to Tel Aviv; GRU was already served by El Al but the flight did not pan out, not for lack of traffic but due to the cumbersome detour LY was forced to take enroute.

IrishAyes

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 pm

dcajet wrote:

Well, they fly to IAD nonstop from ADD, and YYZ too, (not sure 100% off the top of my head about the latter) so GRU can't be that different.

I don't believe that they do --- these are served via DUB on the return journey...

berari
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I don't believe that they do --- these are served via DUB on the return journey...

ET flies with a stop at DUB on the way to YYZ and IAD. Flights from YYZ and IAD back to ADD are nonstop.

berari
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:35 pm

dcajet wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

cedarjet wrote:

ADD is also an excellent option for connections to Tel Aviv; GRU was already served by El Al but the flight did not pan out, not for lack of traffic but due to the cumbersome detour LY was forced to take enroute.

The Brasil flight is well timed for connections to all of Ethiopian's Middle East and Asia flights, and a handful East African destinations.

berari
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:37 pm

dcajet wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

ADD-IAD: 7194 miles
ADD-GRU: 6171 miles

GRU is shorter than the IAD run. We have in the past seen ET fly nonstop from ADD to YYZ on an adhoc basis which is 7155 miles and likely accompanied by very light loads and operational conditions (perhaps proving capabilities?) At any rate, ET has operated GRU in the past nonstop and there's nothing that precludes them from doing it again.

SJPBR

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:44 pm

A lot of Asia trafick to/from GRU also goes with TK

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos